By the Numbers: D'Angelo Russell
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mirak
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:19 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Yup, keep them coming. There will be a good consensus. D'Angelo's Brown Sugar is one of my fave albums ("Higher" has one of my fave bass lines).

His mom actually named him after the singer. He was born less than a year after that album came out.

A lot of kids were born a little less than a year after that album came out.

And I'm sure you have the statistics that bear that out.
lxlhotsaucelxl
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:19 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
Yinoma, stop trying to make that nickname happen

Everytime i see him with the "Brown Sugar" name i think to my self "wwtfff, is up with calling a guy Brown Sugar". Picture playing ball with a dude at the park and high fiving him with "nice shot brown sugar", thats so homo lol. Only time ill say brown sugar is if i need to buy some or bangin a brown skin chick. So if he is white, lets call him white sugar, if he is pale call him powdered sugar.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:31 am    Post subject:

Think Russell will be operating more off-ball initially if he starts alongside Clarkson. It'll be easier for him to get to his hot spots.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:22 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:

Agreed, trying to hard.
I'm calling him anything but that!!
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:32 am    Post subject:

Wino wrote:
Chronicle wrote:

Agreed, trying to hard.
I'm calling him anything but that!!

You guys are no fun.
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:36 am    Post subject:

I like D-Lo as his nickname. Brown Sugar seems a bit soft.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:46 am    Post subject:

our trio of the future:

Clarkson, Randle and Anything but that

ehh...
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:09 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Think Russell will be operating more off-ball initially if he starts alongside Clarkson. It'll be easier for him to get to his hot spots.

They'll both be playing off ball from Kobe.

But seriously, how Scott plays Kobe (or Kobe decides to play Kobe) is probably going to dictate everything initially. That's what it felt like last year...he let Kobe try to figure out what he's capable of and that seemed to dictate the rest. Everything will probably be in flux from there.

If I had to guess, it will be Kobe + our free agent big trying to work together and dominating the ball early on.
akk7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:44 pm    Post subject:

Let me put this out there for discussion purposes. What makes you guys confident our backcourt situation doesn't turn into Monta and Curry part II? We saw Curry blossom once Monta, another ball dominant player was traded.

I like Clarkson a lot, but I wouldn't be too tied into the idea of him being in the backcourt with Russell for the next decade plus. Anything can happen.
PushingtheLimit
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:07 pm    Post subject:

akk7 wrote:
Let me put this out there for discussion purposes. What makes you guys confident our backcourt situation doesn't turn into Monta and Curry part II? We saw Curry blossom once Monta, another ball dominant player was traded.

I like Clarkson a lot, but I wouldn't be too tied into the idea of him being in the backcourt with Russell for the next decade plus. Anything can happen.

One of the biggest problems with the Curry/Ellis duo was that they were both relatively undersized. This isn't a problem with Russell/Clarkson. Plus Russ has some next level court vision so there will be no issues with sharing the ball.
bonkers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:55 pm    Post subject:

Clarkson is a much better off-ball cutter than Ellis IMO
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:09 pm    Post subject:

akk7 wrote:

While they're stylistically similar, I think the circumstances are different. Monta was the established "man" on the Warriors when Curry came in, so there was a different dynamic than will exist with Clarkson and Russell.

I also think that we'll be seeing the D'Angelo Russell Westbrook backcourt in a couple of years. They'd be a tremendous pairing.
Travis Bickle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:19 pm    Post subject:

There was a study done about NFL 1st round bust. 80% of the reason a 1st round pick bust is because of character issues or injury. I know that's a different league but it makes me feel good about Russell because he seems to have a good work ethic. What concerned me about Oak was the rumor that he doesn't work hard.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:38 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
akk7 wrote:

While they're stylistically similar, I think the circumstances are different. Monta was the established "man" on the Warriors when Curry came in, so there was a different dynamic than will exist with Clarkson and Russell.

I also think that we'll be seeing the D'Angelo Russell Westbrook backcourt in a couple of years. They'd be a tremendous pairing.

Good god, man.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:13 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
akk7 wrote:

Good god, man.

lukewaltonsdad
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:24 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
akk7 wrote:

Agreed about the Westbrook/Clarkson pairing; however, I just hope Westbrook's knees can hold up.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:26 pm    Post subject:

Would anyone be against these lineups if we landed Jordan or Aldridge?

If we land Deandre

D'angelo Russell
Kobe Bryant
Anthony Brown(3 and D)
Julius Randle
Deandre Jordan

Bench:
Jordan Clarkson
Nick Young
Larry Nance Jr
Ryan Kelly / Tarik Black
Ed Davis / Robert Upshaw

If we land Aldridge

D'angelo Russell
Kobe Bryant
Anthony Brown(3 and D)
LaMarcus Aldridge
Ed Davis

Bench:
Jordan Clarkson
Nick Young
Larry Nance Jr / Ryan Kelly
Julius Randle / Tarik Black
Robert Upshaw / Robert Sacre

I'd say both of these lineups could work IF we land them and are going to bring either Russell or Clarkson off the bench(depends on camp I guess).

We can always run the 1-2-3 lineup of Russell, Clarkson, Kobe.

But just in case. Would anyone be against these two lineups?
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:45 pm    Post subject:

^Anthony Brown needs to prove that he's an NBA caliber player first, much less a starting caliber one.
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:59 pm    Post subject:

akk7 wrote:

Both Russell and Clarkson are 6'5 with 6'8 wingspans, Curry and Ellis were undersized. It hurt them defensively, that won't be the case because Clarkson can defend the athletic PG's and Russell has the size to guard SGs. Also, Russell is a much better passer. Russell and Clarkson are just more versatile, it's a good fit.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:49 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
akk7 wrote:

Good god, man.

Sorry, that was my mind climaxing at the idea of a "D'Angelo Russell Westbrook" backcourt, never mind that perfect portmanteau of their full names.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:47 am    Post subject:

I wish Westbrook had a better 3-point shot. I know the idea sounds good but that would probably relegate Russell to more off the ball.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:48 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
akk7 wrote:

Good god, man.

Sorry, that was my mind climaxing at the idea of a "D'Angelo Russell Westbrook" backcourt, never mind that perfect portmanteau of their full names.

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:50 am    Post subject:

Great thread! My body is so ready for this! Great to read the tweets about JC's reaction to Brown Sugar being drafted
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
moonwalker8701
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:12 pm    Post subject:

Clarkson and Russell complement each other nicely.

Slash and Splash.
methdxman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:52 pm    Post subject:

moonwalker8701 wrote:
Clarkson and Russell complement each other nicely.

Slash and Splash.

Sounds like something that happened to me after a run at King Taco. HEY O
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger Reply with quote
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7
Jump to: