FA's Scared of Lakers?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:05 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
Maybe it has to do with Mitch's entire tactic being "look at those jerseys up there"

Those days are long gone especially with these players. Not even the LA nightlife is luring players here. How many time did we hear "It's LA" , The fast lane. Pretty women, the beach, always sunny, the Lakers? Not even those qualities are getting guys over here.
WorthyNum1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:27 am    Post subject:

dabask11 wrote:
Gwyn wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
I think people really underestimate kobe's influence in deterring free agents through either his contract, playstyle or shadow. It's not to the extent portrayed by the media, but it is a factor despite how LG tries to deny it.

It's rubbish to ignore all of the factors at play and to focus only on that (bleep) and tired theme.

As if Kobe being off this team would make it more appealing. Because we all know that a total rebuild with even less talent would make us more appealing to these FAs.

It's also rubbish to ignore kobe's influence as a factor. It's not the sole reason, but it's foolish to say it doesn't play a part in deterring free agents.

Unfortunately, kobe being off the team would make it more appealing from a basketball perspective given his play and contract. Go to any other non-laker forum and you'll get the same response: Kobe is nothing but a hindrance due to his contract.

As a laker fan, I'm not complaining provided Kobe doesn't complain as well. He's done a lot for this franchise that I'm willing to sacrifice 2 years of the rebuild for the sake he retires a laker. However, a spade is still a spade and it hurts seeing the lakers strike out partly due to kobe's contract.

Does everyone really think Kobe will retire a Laker?

If 37-year-old Paul Pierce can still command a 3-year, $10.6M contract, how much will a 37-year-old Kobe Bryant ask for this time next year?

Retire? when you can still get tens of millions of $$$$ out there? are you crazy?

Kobe will probably ask the Lakers to give him a $30M, 2-year deal or a $42M, 3-year deal, and that's a bargain. Knowing the Lakers' crush on Kobe, they'll probably give it to him.

And if the Lakers have enough sense to tell Kobe to take a hike, "we are on our way to rebuild, thanks very much", lots of teams will flock to give Kobe a $25-$30M deal for 3 years. Teams that need that extra piece to make a deep playoff run: the Hawks, the Raptors, the Wizards, the Pelicans, the Grizzlies, ... Teams see the value of a seasoned veteran that can do a lot of damages in the playoffs, like PP did for the Wizards this past season, not to mention the star power that sells a lot of merchandize.

Retire a Laker? will you do that to leave $30M on the table?
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:59 am    Post subject:

WorthyNum1 wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
Gwyn wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
I think people really underestimate kobe's influence in deterring free agents through either his contract, playstyle or shadow. It's not to the extent portrayed by the media, but it is a factor despite how LG tries to deny it.

It's rubbish to ignore all of the factors at play and to focus only on that (bleep) and tired theme.

As if Kobe being off this team would make it more appealing. Because we all know that a total rebuild with even less talent would make us more appealing to these FAs.

It's also rubbish to ignore kobe's influence as a factor. It's not the sole reason, but it's foolish to say it doesn't play a part in deterring free agents.

Unfortunately, kobe being off the team would make it more appealing from a basketball perspective given his play and contract. Go to any other non-laker forum and you'll get the same response: Kobe is nothing but a hindrance due to his contract.

As a laker fan, I'm not complaining provided Kobe doesn't complain as well. He's done a lot for this franchise that I'm willing to sacrifice 2 years of the rebuild for the sake he retires a laker. However, a spade is still a spade and it hurts seeing the lakers strike out partly due to kobe's contract.

If 37-year-old Paul Pierce can still command a 3-year, $10.6M contract, how much will a 37-year-old Kobe Bryant ask for this time next year?

Retire? when you can still get tens of millions of $$$$ out there? are you crazy?

Kobe will probably ask the Lakers to give him a $30M, 2-year deal or a $42M, 3-year deal, and that's a bargain. Knowing the Lakers' crush on Kobe, they'll probably give it to him.

And if the Lakers have enough sense to tell Kobe to take a hike, "we are on our way to rebuild, thanks very much", lots of teams will flock to give Kobe a $25-$30M deal for 3 years. Teams that need that extra piece to make a deep playoff run: the Hawks, the Raptors, the Wizards, the Pelicans, the Grizzlies, ... Teams see the value of a seasoned veteran that can do a lot of damages in the playoffs, like PP did for the Wizards this past season, not to mention the star power that sells a lot of merchandize.

If this 37 year old Kobe can't play half season like last year, what kind offers do you realistically expect?

Do you think veteran teams will offer Kobe 25-30 mil for 3 years if he's taking all the shots?

More importantly, do you think Kobe will even accept an offer less than 10 mil?

Given his personality, I can't see Kobe accepting a non-star fate. Of course it's not completely out of the question, but I'm willing to believe Kobe retires rather than join a contender for cheap.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:14 am    Post subject:

WorthyNum1 wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
Gwyn wrote:
dabask11 wrote:

It's time to move on from the past and look ahead to the future.
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:20 am    Post subject:

They are scared of the Lakers because they are scared of the FO and how bad it has become.

Cannot sign star players. Cannot keep it star players. Cannot trade for star players.

Bring in terrible coaches.

We are in the lottery for a reason.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:43 am    Post subject:

laker4life wrote:
They are scared of the Lakers because they are scared of the FO and how bad it has become.

Cannot sign star players. Cannot keep it star players. Cannot trade for star players.

That makes no sense.

Ugh. Why does all of this remind me of the mail guys questioning the executive management's decision making? lol
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:52 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
laker4life wrote:

That makes no sense.

Ugh. Why does all of this remind me of the mail guys questioning the executive management's decision making? lol

This is not the mail guy but what people (ie, reporters, beat reporter, etc.) are saying on the radios and other news site.

Even Mychael Thompson made some comments. The Lakers have become a joke and are a ship without a rudder.

Their commentary on how the presentation for LMA went was a joke. They simply said come here and you will benefit with the global brand name of the Lakers.

Rockets came out with some analytical presentation to show how the team would improve and eventually win.

Two years in the lottery. Not able to keep its star players (ie. Howard and Gasol). Not able to bring in star players, (Carmelo, Lebron, Jordan, LMA, etc). Coaching hires have been bad.

I am sorry but we need to bring in someone besides Wes Johnson, Nick Young and Ed Davis.

These guys are like third tier players.

We are not even getting second tier players.

That is pathetic.
ppineda
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:48 pm    Post subject:

dmills wrote:
SA can't give him max money.

The Spurs freed up enough capspace to give him max money.
Stuntman
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:45 pm    Post subject:

laker4life wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
laker4life wrote:

That makes no sense.

This is not the mail guy but what people (ie, reporters, beat reporter, etc.) are saying on the radios and other news site.

Even Mychael Thompson made some comments. The Lakers have become a joke and are a ship without a rudder.

Their commentary on how the presentation for LMA went was a joke. They simply said come here and you will benefit with the global brand name of the Lakers.

Rockets came out with some analytical presentation to show how the team would improve and eventually win.

Two years in the lottery. Not able to keep its star players (ie. Howard and Gasol). Not able to bring in star players, (Carmelo, Lebron, Jordan, LMA, etc). Coaching hires have been bad.

I am sorry but we need to bring in someone besides Wes Johnson, Nick Young and Ed Davis.

These guys are like third tier players.

We are not even getting second tier players.

That is pathetic.

They say that so that people will click the article but I'm ok with what the front office is doing. 2nd tier players aren't gonna get the team more championships. Swing for the fences and if you strike out you develope what you have. All of the team's overspending on 2nd tier guys without stars on their team will be voting to void contracts again in the next CBA.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:38 pm    Post subject:

TomSeaver wrote:
Sounds more like they scared of Kobe.

Kobe told Aldridge: "Yeah, I can definitely see you being my Robin and I think you're gonna extend my career another few years." On second thought, not the best approach.
WorthyNum1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:03 pm    Post subject:

dabask11 wrote:

If this 37 year old Kobe can't play half season like last year, what kind offers do you realistically expect?

Do you think veteran teams will offer Kobe 25-30 mil for 3 years if he's taking all the shots?

More importantly, do you think Kobe will even accept an offer less than 10 mil?

Given his personality, I can't see Kobe accepting a non-star fate. Of course it's not completely out of the question, but I'm willing to believe Kobe retires rather than join a contender for cheap.

Given Kobe's recent personality: he plays only for money, absolutely he will. Does anyone really believe that Kobe signed this 2-year, $48M extension in order to get a ring? Back in November 2013, how many pieces in the Lakers puzzle were championship materials? Howard just jumped ship, Nash was broken down. They just got swept out of the playoffs.

And playoff teams all saw what PP could do for a team. Goofing around for the regular season, yet such a championship veteran can win you a few games/series. A cost of ~$10M is absolutely worth it.

This is my speculation on what will happen. Let's re-visit this thread a year from now.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:07 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
laker4life wrote:

That makes no sense.

Yeah Donald Sterling was a racist slumlord and he had no trouble getting players to come to Los Angeles once he got some good pieces together. Players don't give a crap about front offices. They want to play and get paid, that's it. They're not hanging out with the suits in their off time.

The Lakers just don't have a good product right now. That's the only problem.
hoopla
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:56 pm    Post subject:

doughboy90650 wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
Maybe it has to do with Mitch's entire tactic being "look at those jerseys up there"

Those days are long gone especially with these players. Not even the LA nightlife is luring players here. How many time did we hear "It's LA" , The fast lane. Pretty women, the beach, always sunny, the Lakers? Not even those qualities are getting guys over here.
they're not long gone. it would be won thing if he was only talking about magic and kareem. he's talking about shaq who these kids know, and kobe. who is still playing. if you cant sell the guy thats still playing with more rings than anyone in the nba (except for duncan who got one in a short season and has never won back to back rings) then i dont know what you can say or do. There is nothing else to sell. We are not a small market team where we just want a star to say we have one. we want star players to win rings. if said star doesnt understand what we're selling then he doesnt know anything about winning rings. so push on and i wish you well.
888lakers
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:10 pm    Post subject:

I don't think Free Agents are scared of being a Laker and its traditions.

I think pre twitter, pre social media, unless you were in a big market it was tough to get exposure and endorsements.

Now if you are a good player, it doesn't matter if you play for OKC or LA, you will be noticed and you (Durant, Westbrook, etc.) will get your endorsements.
Lakers2001
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:20 pm    Post subject:

ppineda wrote:
dmills wrote:
SA can't give him max money.

The Spurs freed up enough capspace to give him max money.

He was picking SA anyway I dont know why even meet with other teams knowing full well your intentions.
tw-lakbfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:58 pm    Post subject:

We didn't want Phil, Shaw, etc. We let Odom, Pau, Howard, Ed Davis go. Our front office surely went for another direction.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: