Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:25 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
the association wrote:
KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
the association wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
the association wrote:
$785K and climbing for Memories Pizza ... I'm assuming we can drop the "American exceptionalism" nonsense already?

?

I was commenting (via non-sequitur, sorry) on the distasteful effluence that always seems to spring forth when those obsessed with guns, god and gays here in the land of hope and dreams find a soapbox to exploit ... P.T. Barnum (or David Hannum, whatever) was more right than he ever had a chance to know.

A 48-hour haul of ~ $770K (net of fees) for these mouthbreathing rounding errors in the heartland ... God Bless America, indeed.

Excellent! If you weren't such a Kobe hater, I think I'd even like you . Your writing style reminds me of some of the essays of Ralph Ellison, particularly in "Going to the Territory."

I've encountered plenty of critics with less generous comparisons, so, you know ... anyway, thank you and I'm looking forward to spending some time with Ellison's works over the next few months. Appreciate the referral ...

Regarding KB, these past 19 years of my 30+ year association as a fan of the Lakers have been a roller coaster, but I feel like I'm in a good place with my views on him these days. I may have been too unforgiving of him in the past, but I've become more appreciative of his career arc in these twilight years. And I've learned to temper the finger wagging quite a bit, too ...

Everything in moderation, including moderation ...

Finally and as to the comments above suggesting that both "sides" bear some fault in failing to consider the position(s) of the other ... when someone has the temerity to suggest that "God has blessed us for standing up for what we believe, and not denying him" as the explanation for the almost 30,000 (mostly) clueless supporters who have collectively handed her almost $800K over the course of 48 hours (in lieu of contributions to obviously less important areas for giving like medical research, poverty or homeless assistance, education or the arts), I'm perfectly OK with setting up camp on the other side and calling B.S. on these freakshows ...

I can't speak for anyone else, obviously, but I don't think there's any meaningful amount of of discourse that should change anyone's mind on this and similar issues ... my only regret is that GoFundMe will not be publishing the identities of those who gave in that campaign. That's a scarlet letter I could probably get behind ...

I really need to find a way to hop on this right wing gravy train. Cha-ching!

The real irony is that these are the very same folks who are always whining about someone getting something for nothing instead of hard work every time somebody wins a settlement after corporate abuse - yet here they are just giving away a significant chunk of change to some folks who did nothing but show poor judgment in running their mouths.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:56 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
the association wrote:
KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
the association wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
the association wrote:
$785K and climbing for Memories Pizza ... I'm assuming we can drop the "American exceptionalism" nonsense already?

?

I was commenting (via non-sequitur, sorry) on the distasteful effluence that always seems to spring forth when those obsessed with guns, god and gays here in the land of hope and dreams find a soapbox to exploit ... P.T. Barnum (or David Hannum, whatever) was more right than he ever had a chance to know.

A 48-hour haul of ~ $770K (net of fees) for these mouthbreathing rounding errors in the heartland ... God Bless America, indeed.

Excellent! If you weren't such a Kobe hater, I think I'd even like you . Your writing style reminds me of some of the essays of Ralph Ellison, particularly in "Going to the Territory."

I've encountered plenty of critics with less generous comparisons, so, you know ... anyway, thank you and I'm looking forward to spending some time with Ellison's works over the next few months. Appreciate the referral ...

Regarding KB, these past 19 years of my 30+ year association as a fan of the Lakers have been a roller coaster, but I feel like I'm in a good place with my views on him these days. I may have been too unforgiving of him in the past, but I've become more appreciative of his career arc in these twilight years. And I've learned to temper the finger wagging quite a bit, too ...

Everything in moderation, including moderation ...

Finally and as to the comments above suggesting that both "sides" bear some fault in failing to consider the position(s) of the other ... when someone has the temerity to suggest that "God has blessed us for standing up for what we believe, and not denying him" as the explanation for the almost 30,000 (mostly) clueless supporters who have collectively handed her almost $800K over the course of 48 hours (in lieu of contributions to obviously less important areas for giving like medical research, poverty or homeless assistance, education or the arts), I'm perfectly OK with setting up camp on the other side and calling B.S. on these freakshows ...

I can't speak for anyone else, obviously, but I don't think there's any meaningful amount of of discourse that should change anyone's mind on this and similar issues ... my only regret is that GoFundMe will not be publishing the identities of those who gave in that campaign. That's a scarlet letter I could probably get behind ...

I really need to find a way to hop on this right wing gravy train. Cha-ching!

The real irony is that these are the very same folks who are always whining about someone getting something for nothing instead of hard work every time somebody wins a settlement after corporate abuse - yet here they are just giving away a significant chunk of change to some folks who did nothing but show poor judgment in running their mouths.

Agreed ... and to piggyback on your thoughts, if I may ...

1. Most of the individuals that endorse these views consistently vote against their own interests.

I was economically fortunate to grow up in a family that wanted for very little (and I also consider myself fortunate for having come to my political senses during the most prosperous years of my career [when it was least advantageous for me and my young family, from a taxation perspective, to awaken from my ignorance), but I'm always amused when I encounter people barely above the poverty line who gripe about all of these indulgent social services that are being exploited by others ...

2. The ruling elite would cringe if they were obliged to give most of these individuals so much as the time of day.

Other than their vote and their blind allegiance, those with the power don't want anything to do with the drones. Don't get it twisted, (most of) flyover country - we're not in this together. And that flag lapel pin? That's just for show, drones ...

3. Neither one nor two above are terribly surprising when you consider how the platform in question is comprised of some of the most unsteady planks I've ever come across ... by way of example, how exactly does one reconcile the "nobody gets a handout, you have to earn it by pulling yourself up by the bootstraps" ideology with the "no estate taxes" policy position? Let me see if I understand: Your children can either earn it on their own (without any support) or wallow in poverty, whilst mine are born on third base and get to spend a lifetime crowing about how they hit a triple?

Ninja, please ...
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:14 pm    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

How is Curves not discriminatory? If a golf course said no women allowed, wouldn't that be discriminatory? It would I think. We just decided that the former is an ok form of it and the latter is not.

My point is simply that SOME level of discrimination is needed (how much clearly up for debate) in pursuit of the greater good. And so SOME discrimination is not malicious (the point I was addressing). Maybe in this case we'll need to discriminate on the basis of religious belief.

In the same way that we collectively say well men, you can't join Curves because it serves the greater purpose of providing women a more comfortable place to exercise (and so deal with it), we need to say well religious folks, you can't not service gay weddings because it serves the greater purpose of ensuring everyone is treated equally (and so deal with it).

Yes, and people have written about it:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/brianreid/2012/04/09/male-only-golf-enclaves-its-not-just-augusta/

You're basically using Fox News' argument against Jon Stewart. "Well hey, they already discriminate there, so why is it bad that we discriminate here?"

I'm using Fox News' argument? Either Fox News has moved towards the left on this issue or you misread my post.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:58 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
A lawsuit filed on behalf of two registered sex offenders cites Indiana's new religious objections law in arguing they've been wrongly prohibited from worshipping at churches that have schools on the same property.

The American Civil Liberties Union of Indiana filed the lawsuit Wednesday on behalf of two unnamed sex offenders, one of whom belongs to a Fort Wayne church and another who has attended an Elkhart church.

The lawsuit claims that a new state law banning many sex offenders from going onto school property at any time presents an unjustified burden on the men's religious liberties under the Religious Freedom Restoration Act.

Ken Falk, the ACLU of Indiana's legal director, called the additional sex offender restrictions absurd.

"The Legislature passes a law which says sex offenders cannot go into schools and it is being applied to people who are going to church or other religious observances during a time that there's no school in session," Falk said. "The law prohibits them from walking on that property — it's a felony to do so."

The religious objections law and the tougher sex offender restrictions both took effect Wednesday. The lawsuit said both men have regularly attended Sunday services and other events at their churches, but now fear being arrested if they do so.

The ban on sex offenders going onto school property gained little attention as it sailed through the state Legislature this year — clearing both the House and Senate without any votes cast against it.

A national outcry erupted after Republican Gov. Mike Pence signed the religious objections law in late March, with critics saying it would provide a legal defense for discrimination against gays, lesbians and others. It prohibits any government actions that would "substantially burden" a person's ability to follow his or her religious beliefs.

Sex Offenders Want To Use Law in Their Favor

I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9
Jump to: