Breaking: The FBI is investigating the Cardinals for hacking into the Astros’ computer system
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Qsmiff
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:25 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
The Cards fire their scouting director. Honestly, I'm surprised that someone that high in the organization was involved.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/13190023/st-louis-cardinals-fire-scouting-director-chris-correa-amid-hacking-scandal

Yep, as I said, who ever was responsible would b fired.....and now....he gone!!!.......I'm sure when he was doing it...."it seemed like a good idea at the time "
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:09 pm    Post subject:

Guilty plea

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/14531169/christopher-correa-former-st-louis-cardinals-executive-pleads-guilty-hacking-houston-astros-database
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:25 pm    Post subject:

Hopefully they get punished like a big market team. Big fines + picks + suspensions.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:56 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
AP SportsVerified account ‏@AP_Sports Jul 18
BREAKING: Ex scouting director of St. Louis Cardinals sentenced to nearly 4 years in jail for hacking Astros' player personnel database.
dlofan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:11 pm    Post subject:

I wonder what penalties the Cardinals will get from MLB....
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:55 am    Post subject:

I've known Judge Hughes for close to 30 years and have been in front of him many times. He really hammered the guy. I'm a little bit surprised that the guy got that much prison time. The facts must have been uglier than we thought.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:02 am    Post subject:

dlofan wrote:
I wonder what penalties the Cardinals will get from MLB....

I hope they throw the book at em, but likely MLB will just issue a mediocre fine.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:39 pm    Post subject:

MLB has to take a very hard line stance on this issue and deal with the Cardinals harshly. Unfortunately, their silence over the matter speaks volumes. Manfred should force the Cardinals to remove their owners in place of Frank and Jamie McCourt.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:33 am    Post subject:

So either save your analytics on a (bleep) floppy, or don't use them at all.

j/k
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:58 pm    Post subject:

https://apnews.com/c0b68f51313743e2bfa7ba8a909cd536/Cardinals-lose-top-2-picks,-must-pay-Astros-$2M-for-hacking?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=AP_Sports

Quote:
Cardinals must give Astros top 2 picks, $2M for hacking

NEW YORK (AP) — The St. Louis Cardinals were stripped of their top two picks in this year's amateur draft Monday and ordered to give them to Houston along with $2 million as compensation for hacking the Astros' email system and scouting database, the final and unprecedented step in an unusual case of cybercrime involving two Major League Baseball teams.

Baseball Commissioner Rob Manfred also banned former St. Louis executive Christopher Correa for life as he ruled the Cardinals must give the 56th and 75th draft choices in June to Houston. They must pay the Astros the money within 30 days.

Correa, the Cardinals' director of baseball development until July 2015, pleaded guilty in federal court last year to five counts of unauthorized access of a protected computer. He was sentenced to 46 months in prison and ordered to pay the Astros $279,039 in restitution.

"Although Mr. Correa's conduct was not authorized by the Cardinals, as a matter of MLB policy I am holding the Cardinals responsible for his conduct," Manfred wrote. "A club suffers material harm when an employee of another club illegally accesses its confidential and propriety information, particularly intrusions of the nature and scope present here. In addition, as a result of Mr. Correa's conduct, the Astros suffered substantial negative publicity and had to endure the time, expense and distraction of both a lengthy government investigation and an MLB investigation."

Cardinals chairman Bill DeWitt Jr. said in a statement the "findings are fully consistent with our own investigation's conclusion that this activity was isolated to a single individual."

"This has been a long and challenging process for all of us, especially those within our baseball operations department," St. Louis general manager John Mozeliak said. "We have learned a great deal along the way and we have taken additional steps to ensure that something like this doesn't ever happen again."

Houston said "this unprecedented award by the commissioner's office sends a clear message of the severity of these actions."

Correa was employed by the Cardinals from 2009-15. When he was sentenced last July by U.S. District Judge Lynn N. Hughes, Correa said he was "overwhelmed with remorse and regret for my actions" that cost him his career and his home.

"I violated my values and it was wrong. I behaved shamefully," he said then. "The whole episode represents the worst thing I've done in my life by far."

Astros general manager Jeff Luhnow told reporters in June 2014 the team had been the victim of hackers who accessed servers and published online months of internal trade talks. Astros general counsel Giles Kibbe said Correa accessed the Astros' system about 60 times over two years.

Federal prosecutors said in a sentencing memorandum that Correa used the password of Sig Mejdal, Houston's director of division sciences who had been the Cardinals' director of amateur draft analysis. When he left St. Louis in December 2011, Mejdal was directed to given his computer to Correa along with its password, and Mejdal later used an almost identical password with his Astros account.

Prosecutors said Correa had access to the Astros' system from January 2012 until June 2014 and entered the team's Ground Control database of confidential scouting reports, statistics and contract information 48 times. He also accessed the email of five Houston employees, including that of Mejdal.

After a Sports Illustrated article that detailed the Ground Control system was published on June 26, 2014, Correa the next night unsuccessfully tried to access Ground Control using the accounts of Mejdal, Luhnow, analyst Colin Wyers, manager Bo Porter and pitching coach Brent Strom.

The following morning, Correa got into Mejdal's email, found the Ground Control passwords for three Astros minor leaguers, emailed them to himself, then used the passwords of two minor leaguers to enter Ground Control, prosecutors said. Finding they had only limited access, he tried unsuccessful variations of passwords that had previously worked for him involving accounts of Luhnow, Mejdal, Wyers and seven other Astros officials.

Prosecutors concluded Correa leaked notes of Astros' trade discussions to Deadspin, which published them on June 30, 2014.

St. Louis already had lost its original top pick, No. 19, as compensation for signing free-agent outfielder Dexter Fowler. The Cardinals' first pick now will be No. 94 overall. Houston will have five selections in the top 94. The Astros already had slots 15, 53 and 91.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:06 pm    Post subject:

Pathetic penalty considering the extent of the hacking that went on.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:24 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:

It's not even a slap on the wrist. More like a gentle tap.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:43 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:

Which outcome do you find inadequate? Correa's loss of his liberty for over three years (plus a lifetime ban from baseball and an almost $300K restitution order), or the draft pick loss and $2MM financial penalty imposed on the Cardinals ... ?
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:58 pm    Post subject:

As an Astros fan, I'm fine with it. The league sent a message. I didn't think we deserved to get a windfall out of it. There were some people hoping for greater compensation, but I found that unseemly.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:00 pm    Post subject:

I think everyone from the owner down should he banned from baseball. Permanently.
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:10 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
I think everyone from the owner down should he banned from baseball. Permanently.

What am I missing here ... ? Wasn't Correa acting as a bad actor unbeknownst to others within the Cardinals organization?

Last edited by the association on Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:12 pm    Post subject:

the association wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

What am I missing here ... ?

Justice.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:13 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
the association wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Justice.

Who escaped justice ... ?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:15 pm    Post subject:

the association wrote:
rwongega wrote:
the association wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Justice.

This was not only a crime, but an attack on the concept of competition. No one involved, nor their bosses, should ever be allowed near the sport again. This is far far worse than Pete Rose betting on baseball.
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:18 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
the association wrote:
rwongega wrote:
the association wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Justice.

This was not only a crime, but an attack on the concept of competition. No one involved, nor their bosses, should ever be allowed near the sport again. This is far far worse than Pete Rose betting on baseball.

Competitive intelligence that blurs (and often crosses) ethical lines occurs in most industries every day ... Correa was a bad actor here, and he apparently violated federal law. As a consequence, he's paying a pretty significant price for his crimes, and the Cardinals organization is also being punished despite apparently having gained nothing in the way of a meaningful competitive edge from Correa's actions. Maybe I'm reading the factual basis wrong ... ?
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:22 pm    Post subject:

the association wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

What am I missing here ... ? Wasn't Correa acting as a bad actor unbeknownst to others within the Cardinals organization?

Quote:
Even though Correa said in court that others w/ #STLCards knew about his actions, Correa did not answer Qs/cooperate with MLB investigators.

https://twitter.com/LangoschMLB/status/826157225085456387
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:23 pm    Post subject:

the association wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:

Which outcome do you find inadequate? Correa's loss of his liberty for over three years (plus a lifetime ban from baseball and an almost $300K restitution order), or the draft pick loss and $2MM financial penalty imposed on the Cardinals ... ?

I think the cost to the Cardinals org was pathetically low. It was basically pocket change.

They also knew this was coming down, hence their signing of Fowler to lose their first-rounder since they knew they were going to get hit this draft. They normally don't sign guys that cost them picks.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:29 pm    Post subject:

This article came out two days ago.

Quote:
As MLB ruling nears, new details of Cardinals' hacking of Astros account

A federal judge has unsealed details about former St. Louis Cardinals executive Chris Correa's hacking of the Astros' email and player evaluation databases, clearing the way for Major League Baseball to impose sanctions against the Cardinals as soon as this week.

[...]

According to the documents, portions of which remained redacted, Correa intruded into the Astros' "Ground Control" database 48 times and accessed the accounts of five Astros employees. For 21/2 years, beginning in January 2012, Correa had unfettered access to the e-mail account of Sig Mejdal, the Astros' director of decision sciences and a former Cardinals employee. Correa worked in St. Louis as an analyst under Mejdal, who came to Houston after the 2011 season with Astros general manager Jeff Luhnow, also a former Cardinals executive.

"(Correa) knew what projects the Astros' analytics department was researching, what concepts were promising and what ideas to avoid," said one of the documents, signed by Michael Chu, the assistant U.S. attorney who prosecuted the case against Correa. "He had access to everything that Sig Mejdal ... read and wrote."

[...]

Prosecutors offered other insights into Correa's motivations. On April 3, 2013, two months before that year's amateur draft - the second of three consecutive years in which the Astros had the No. 1 overall pick - Correa accessed the Astros' list of players they considered drafting, ranked in preferential order, the document shows. He also accessed the scouting observations of Astros amateur scouting director Mike Elias, national cross-checker David Post and regional scout Brian St. Pierre.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/astros/article/As-MLB-ruling-nears-new-details-of-Cardinals-10891605.php?t=b7382ab8b3438d9cbb&cmpid=twitter-premium

It goes on and on and on.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:30 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
the association wrote:
rwongega wrote:
the association wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Justice.

Couldn't agree more.
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:31 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
the association wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:

I think the cost to the Cardinals org was pathetically low. It was basically pocket change.

They also knew this was coming down, hence their signing of Fowler to lose their first-rounder since they knew they were going to get hit this draft. They normally don't sign guys that cost them picks.

So it's believed others in the organization knew of his actions before he was charged ... ? If so, I understand the view that the penalty imposed on the Cardinals should have been more impactful.

As for the idea of banning individuals from baseball, I'm generally leery of vengeful ideas like cauterizing the career options for individuals unless they commit violent crimes (and typically serious ones), or they are clearly irredeemable in their risk of repeating their crimes (or other crimes) ...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: