General Professional Boxing Discussion Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 386, 387, 388 ... 512, 513, 514  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kcxiv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:33 pm    Post subject:

doughboy90650 wrote:
I also see the sole reason for GBP's suit is because all those top fighters are no longer on his cards. When Oscar had those guys on GBP cards, it was fine and everything is good but now there's an issue after at least a seven year relationship with Haymon.

And one of the godfathers of corrupt boxing, Bob Arum, is now trying to get others to play by the rules. Lol.
except its not what thats about. I hear one of the top law firms in L.A is handling this case for Bob. He wouldnt sue if he was just out there tryig to stir something up. He's not going to lose money just to lose it.

Something Fishy is going on with Al Haymon. If it is, he needs to be busted. same as if something with Golden Boy or Top Rank. If they are doing wrong, they need to be held accountable. If they arent, then GG.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:21 am    Post subject:

Mares and Santa Crus might be going at it at Staples.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:36 pm    Post subject:

Collazo with that nice body shot. Other than that, easy win for Thurman.

Last edited by doughboy90650 on Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
In_your_Eye
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:41 am    Post subject:

Collazo couldn't answer the bell with that cut, yet Herrera had a flap of skin over his eye and was going toe to toe with Lundy. Herrera calling out Lucas, dude has no pop but has no problem mixing it up with the heavy hitters.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:36 am    Post subject:

Man, that liver shot damn near took Thurman out. He wasn't the same fighter after that. I won't say for sure Callazo quit but it looked that way to me. I thought he could have answered the bell the cut didn't look that bad to me. It was on the eyelid so maybe he really couldn't see.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:21 pm    Post subject:

Herrera can't sit there and think Matthysse is not gonna eventually bust him up. Oscar would probably try to make that fight in order to make up for his last two decisions prior to the Lundy fight.

Was watching that card on HBO Boxeo. Wasn't impressed at all. Even Jo Jo Diaz looked unimpressive.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:15 pm    Post subject:

I had Bad Chad winning. Johnson walked him down most of the fight.

My score card.

Dawson Johnson

01) 10 09
02) 10 09
03) 09 10
04) 09 10
05) 09 10
06) 10 10
07) 10 09
08) 10 09
09) 09 10
10) 09 10
11) 09 10
12) 09 10

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:32 pm    Post subject:

Glen Johnson was upset after the fight. Probably hafta watch it again

That fight was about seven years ago. They had so much invested in Chad Dawson.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:56 pm    Post subject:

Gatti-Ward I

Round 9

Still cant believe this dude is gone.
marga86
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:00 pm    Post subject:

doughboy90650 wrote:

got my tix!

sec 112, row 5.

freaking stoked!!
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:23 am    Post subject:

Nice. I'll scoop mine up this week depending on what the daughter's car situation looks like. Should be a good scrap.
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:04 pm    Post subject:

gonna be at the mares santa cruz fight as well
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:03 pm    Post subject:

Mares needs this win more than Santa Cruz.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:09 pm    Post subject:

Potential Mayweather-Berto fight likely not on PPV

Quote:
Rumors abound that not only will pound-for-pound king Floyd Mayweather’s fight on Sept. 12 – which he insists will be the last of his career as he finishes his six-fight deal with Showtime/CBS – come against former titleholder Andre Berto, but that it will also be on CBS, not on pay-per-view, as his past 13 consecutive bouts have been.

There has, of course, been no confirmation (or denial) from anyone on Team Mayweather – and Mayweather Promotions CEO Leonard Ellerbe’s phone has been going straight to a full voicemail for the past few days -- or from CBS and Showtime about either aspect of the bout. But Berto, whom Mayweather has mentioned several times as a possible opponent, issued a statement on Wednesday about the prospect of being the chosen opponent.

"I'm happy to be in the running for this fight and am definitely up for the challenge. I know it will be a great fight if it happens,” said Berto, whose best days have probably past him by.

Berto (30-3, 23 KOs) twice won versions of the welterweight title and currently holds an interim belt. But although he has won two fights in a row, they were against lesser opposition. Before that the 31-year-old lost two fights in a row and also suffered a severe arm injury that kept him out of action for 14 months.

A Mayweather fight with Berto certainly pales in comparison to the two opponents who have gotten the most fan and media interest (and who deserve it a lot more): Amir Khan (whose non-stop lobbying efforts seem to have gone for naught) and Keith Thurman.

Whomever Mayweather faces, there is a good chance it will be on CBS with the fight positioned as something of a goodwill move to soothe fans still angry about the $100 pay-per-view price tag for his less-than-exciting showdown with Manny Pacquiao on May 2, a fight that set the pay-per-view record with 4.4 million buys, paid Mayweather around $220 million but failed miserably to live up to even a small fraction of the considerable hype.

If the fight is on CBS, Showtime/CBS likely will still owe Mayweather (48-0, 26 KOs) in the $35 million neighborhood, same as if it was on Showtime PPV. That means it would have to sell a lot of advertising for the fight – or take the financial hit.

Mayweather, who already has Sept. 12 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas reserved after the Nevada State Athletic Commission granted his request for the date, is in training camp for the fight. He recently posted photos indicating that he has opened camp, despite not saying who his opponent would be.

The notion that the fight could be on CBS seems quite possible because if he was going to be on pay-per-view it should have already been announced, with fight night less than two months away. Two months would be the minimum amount of time needed to mount a decent promotion for a major PPV fight. If it’s on CBS – and, therefore, free to the public – it would not need nearly as long of a promotion geared toward convincing folks to part with their money to buy the PPV.

Another potential opponent Mayweather has repeatedly mentioned is San Francisco’s Karim Mayfield (19-2-1, 11 KOs), 34, who is not even on Berto’s level and much less known. When Mayweather mentioned him to the media in late June as he was promoting the Shawn Porter-Adrien Broner fight Mayweather Promotions was involved in, many press members took it as a joke, even though Mayweather came off as serious.

Mayfield, of course, said he would love the fight. (Who wouldn’t?)

"I'm always ready to fight anyone anywhere," Mayfield said. "The fact that the great Floyd Mayweather has mentioned me as someone he wants to fight in September is music to my ears. It would be an honor to fight Floyd in Las Vegas. He's done a lot for the sport and he's arguably the best fighter to ever lace 'em up.

“My last few fights have been at 140 pounds, and I know the extra weight would make me more powerful. I fought Francisco Santana at 152 pounds and gave him his only KO loss. I'm very powerful and comfortable at that weight. I know I would give Floyd all he can handle. My trainer, Ben Bautista, and I have a game plan we know will be successful against Mayweather. I'd give Floyd his first loss in a highly explosive fight."

Mayfield also tried to make the case he was a better choice for Mayweather than Berto.

"No disrespect to Andre Berto. He's a good fighter and we have a mutual respect for one another, but he's not as durable as I am,” Mayfield said. “Berto has two losses against opponents Floyd has already defeated (Robert Guerrero and Victor Ortiz). I've never been dropped, battered or bruised in any of my fights. I bring a rough style to this fight, a style the fans want to see Floyd up against.

“In addition, the Bay Area is a big media market and I know all my fans here would rise up and support me. My brother, La Ron, and I, who are independent, sold out my last fight in San Francisco. I'm confident we can bring a big crowd to Las Vegas. It's only an hour fight away."

Kinda had a hunch. Said this after the Manny fight. People would be stupid to shell out sixty bones for his last fight. Only way it would be PPV worthy is if Floyd fight Golovkin at 54 or possibly Khan. UK would eat that up.

Don't see either happening.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:14 pm    Post subject:

Matthysse and Postol close to vacated Garcia 140 lb. title

Quote:

The camps of junior welterweight contenders Lucas Matthysse (37-3, 34 KOs), of Argentina, and Ukraine’s Viktor Postol (27-0, 11 KOs) are closing in on a deal for their vacant title fight, so they asked for -- and received -- permission from the WBC to postpone the purse bid for the fight by one week in anticipation of coming to terms.

Eric Gomez, vice president of Golden Boy Promotions, Matthysse’s promoter and Carl Moretti, vice president of Top Rank, Postol’s co-promoter, told the WBC that they are close to making a deal for the fall fight and WBC president Mauricio Sulaiman OK’d the purse bid to be delayed until July 20 in San Diego.

Sulaiman told the parties, “I am happy to see things moving along and we hope to have good news for this very important fight.”

The winner of Matthysse-Postol will collect the 140-pound world title recently vacated by Danny Garcia, who is moving up to welterweight.

Hopefully it goes down. Could see Matthysse and Crawford later down the line.
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:35 am    Post subject:

marga86 wrote:
doughboy90650 wrote:

got my tix!

sec 112, row 5.

freaking stoked!!

marga, those are dope seats! Still debating on this one.

Do either of you know if the undercards were announced alreadY/

Time for the Lakers to create a whole new legacy! We want 10 more trophies boys!
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:36 am    Post subject:

doughboy90650 wrote:
Matthysse and Postol close to vacated Garcia 140 lb. title

Quote:

The camps of junior welterweight contenders Lucas Matthysse (37-3, 34 KOs), of Argentina, and Ukraine’s Viktor Postol (27-0, 11 KOs) are closing in on a deal for their vacant title fight, so they asked for -- and received -- permission from the WBC to postpone the purse bid for the fight by one week in anticipation of coming to terms.

Eric Gomez, vice president of Golden Boy Promotions, Matthysse’s promoter and Carl Moretti, vice president of Top Rank, Postol’s co-promoter, told the WBC that they are close to making a deal for the fall fight and WBC president Mauricio Sulaiman OK’d the purse bid to be delayed until July 20 in San Diego.

Sulaiman told the parties, “I am happy to see things moving along and we hope to have good news for this very important fight.”

The winner of Matthysse-Postol will collect the 140-pound world title recently vacated by Danny Garcia, who is moving up to welterweight.

Hopefully it goes down. Could see Matthysse and Crawford later down the line.

That's a very good fight. Postol has been flying under the radar and many fighters have been avoiding him. Matthyse, well we know he comes to fight every fight.

Time for the Lakers to create a whole new legacy! We want 10 more trophies boys!
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:14 pm    Post subject:

Damn, Arreola forgot his bra.

doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:26 pm    Post subject:

Chavez Jr. Is done already. Lol. Dude looked horrible. Did enough to win but clearly putting people in the seats because of his birth name.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:37 pm    Post subject:

doughboy90650 wrote:
Gatti-Ward I

Round 9

Wow, that's insane! Loved it! It's like a real life Rocky fight! Only boxing round I've ever seen that approaches the brutality of Muay Thai!
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:04 pm    Post subject:

KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
doughboy90650 wrote:
Gatti-Ward I

Round 9

Wow, that's insane! Loved it! It's like a real life Rocky fight! Only boxing round I've ever seen that approaches the brutality of Muay Thai!

Chico Corrales vs. JL Castillo had similar drama. Another fighter passed away too early. Spitting out the mouthpiece twice kinda saved his ass. Just a great fight. That eye didn't think so though.

Last edited by doughboy90650 on Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:05 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Damn, Arreola forgot his bra.

Can never be taken seriously in the heavyweight division. Gatekeeper at best.
marga86
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:00 am    Post subject:

doughboy90650 wrote:
Chavez Jr. Is done already. Lol. Dude looked horrible. Did enough to win but clearly putting people in the seats because of his birth name.

jesus man, it's unwatchable now.

At some point in his career he had potential, but when you dont have it, you just dont have it lol
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:54 am    Post subject:

doughboy90650 wrote:

You could see he was out of shape. JC Sr. has to be really disappointed by the way he goes about his business. Jr. has some big shoes to fill. I don't think he's going to get it done.

Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:25 am    Post subject:

marga86 wrote:
doughboy90650 wrote:

jesus man, it's unwatchable now.

At some point in his career he had potential, but when you dont have it, you just dont have it lol

And on top of that, not making weight...again? And his response, when Jim Grey asked why he thinks people are booing him? Seriously delusional, if he thinks that they were booing only because they wanted him to knock the guy out.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 386, 387, 388 ... 512, 513, 514  Next
Page 387 of 514
Jump to: