Miami Vice

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SoCal88
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:31 pm    Post subject: Miami Vice

Has anyone seen it? I watched it last night. Unlike what I remember of the original, of course....no more glamor and pastels!

But the Ferrari remains!
F Snaq
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:19 pm    Post subject:

That's because Michael Mann directed it. Here's a list of some of Mann's work:

Heat
Collateral
Ali
The Insider
Last of the Mohicans
Manhunter
etc.

Can't get any better than that man.
NBA referees are a detriment to the integrity and essence of the game of basketball. It is our duty, as fans of this sacred game, to eviscerate each and every one of these treacherous maggots, if ever we cross paths with any of them in our lives.
B_Rabbit1212
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:15 am    Post subject:

Just saw it.

I absolutely LOVED the cinematography and direction of this film. Alot of shots were obviously done without a dolly or track. Somewhat similar to Collateral (which I rewatched when I got home). Music and sound was very good as well.

I like that they took a completely different spin on the old Miami Vice. They took a somewhat light, buddy cop show into a dark, raw, violent movie.

However, sometimes the acting and writing leaves something to be desired. At first it seemed hard to follow, but then I got adjusted.

Overal: .5/ 10
The Dagger
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:48 am    Post subject:

Saw it Friday. Definitely a theater movie. Don't wait for the DVD unless you have surround sound. One of the best gunfight scenes EVER! Good mix of plot and action. Did I mention the gunfight scene. Incredible. Those ten minutes alone were worth the two hour wait.
Money$hot!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:10 am    Post subject:

The Dagger wrote:
Saw it Friday. Definitely a theater movie. Don't wait for the DVD unless you have surround sound. One of the best gunfight scenes EVER! Good mix of plot and action. Did I mention the gunfight scene. Incredible. Those ten minutes alone were worth the two hour wait.

Wow, better than the shootout in Heat? That'd be Mann, topping Mann. Maybe I'll take a look.
The Dagger
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:09 am    Post subject:

Money$hot! wrote:
Wow, better than the shootout in Heat?

Yup.
Caron1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:13 am    Post subject:

I thought it was ok. Too much Colin Farrell, and not enough Jamie Foxx. The scene in the trailer park was badass, and Michael Mann knows how to make action movies (I agree about the cinematography), but the middle of the movie sucked IMO.
LA Lakers 41790
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:59 am    Post subject:

I didnt like the movie thatmuch the gunfight was spectacular but the rest of the movie was ehh... The plot was really complicated and i dont think it was consistent *SPOILER* I thought the whole reason colin and jamie got that job was to find the mole in the FBI, but then it becomes busting these drug dealers all of a sudden maybe it was because of that colin vs fbi agent scene where colin says the FBI agent was jus trying to save his butt. I dont know. *END of SPOILER*
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:02 am    Post subject:

Shootout in HEAT was AWESOME
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:07 am    Post subject:

nothing beats the shoot out in heat...NOTHING...especially a movie that has jamie foxx in it.
surfbu
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject:

Just wondering...in THIS film, what new accent was created by Colin Farrell's inability to hide his Irish brogue
halosage
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:44 pm    Post subject:

surfbu wrote:
Just wondering...in THIS film, what new accent was created by Colin Farrell's inability to hide his Irish brogue

They should of used Will Ferrel....now that i pay to see!
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject:

lakersfreak wrote:
Shootout in HEAT was AWESOME

A-freaking-men. That scene alone is probably worth getting the DVD.

Want tos ee Miami Vice, but worried after some people I know who saw it said that Colin Farrell was borderline macho-cheese in it.

MIM
SoCal88
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject:

I was pleasantly suprised. Yeah, the middle was real slow, but no other way to develop the story. I heard that they had to redo the end; I guess the story went nowhere.
lkrfn
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:53 pm    Post subject:

surfbu wrote:

This film was horribly casted.
B_Rabbit1212
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:13 am    Post subject:

Ya I actually really don't like Colin Farrel... at all.

surfbu- in this one, he talks in a deeper, raspier voice, which I likened to a complete tools voice as he tries to hit on a girl way out of his league.

As I said before, the acting (most Farrel's) leaves something to be desired, plus the writing is a little weak at times as well.

However, his hair/mustache combination almost makes up for it. It's so ridiculous it should be looked up to.
methdxman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:30 am    Post subject:

F Snaq wrote:

Heat
Collateral
Ali
The Insider
Last of the Mohicans
Manhunter
etc.

You do know that he was the executive producer of the original TV series right?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger Reply with quote
Billy_Blanko
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:49 am    Post subject:

I am not a fan of Michael Mann at all, but the gun action in this was really good. The story was a tad slow, Farrell's accent was atrocious and he looked like a sex offender to me. The dialogue at times was silly. The camera work was inconsistent. At times the handheld was just shaking on background imagery where a shot just didn't seem to have a purpose. Like it would pan past the character and just focus on something in the background and then shake, shake, shake. I don't think the movie was trash though, but I also don't think it was particularly good and it really had nothing much to do with the old Miami Vice series apart from character names. I would give it say 5/10 or something.
re4ee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:49 am    Post subject:

Caron1 wrote:
I thought it was ok. Too much Colin Farrell, and not enough Jamie Foxx. The scene in the trailer park was badass, and Michael Mann knows how to make action movies (I agree about the cinematography), but the middle of the movie sucked IMO.
Word is that Farrell and Foxx didn't get along well at all. At least that's what I've heard.
Money$hot!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:03 pm    Post subject:

methdxman wrote:
F Snaq wrote:

Heat
Collateral
Ali
The Insider
Last of the Mohicans
Manhunter
etc.

Some terrific films. Heat and Collateral speak to Mann's understanding of LA asthetics, and the general vibe. Example the ghostlike cast to the sky in Collateral is only something someone who grew up near LA would really understand. It's dark in feeling, but as we know it's never truly dark here.

Mann's pacing of action sequences is as sophisticated as any director I've seen. Not simply frenetic. There's a setup for each moment of extreme violence, then another setup then again and again. The chase sequence at the end of "Last of the Mohicans" had that mesmerizing sense to it (similar in pace to Bank Robbery/Shootout sequence in Heat).

Most of all Mann tells stories with Images. Dialogue has never been his strength, and in a way, I like that as well. Mann doesn't explain a damn thing to the viewer. Forcing concentration on the charachters and images. Nothing worse than excessive "reaction shots" or computers with countdowns to narrate. Mann's dialogue is almost like the viewer listening in on the movies characters as they go about their evil.

Few of his films are complete, but the skills Mann is expert at, few modern filmmakers can approach.
R-Tistic
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject:

Hmm...I've been hearing very mixed reviews about it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject:

Money$hot! wrote:
methdxman wrote:
F Snaq wrote:

Heat
Collateral
Ali
The Insider
Last of the Mohicans
Manhunter
etc.

Some terrific films. Heat and Collateral speak to Mann's understanding of LA asthetics, and the general vibe. Example the ghostlike cast to the sky in Collateral is only something someone who grew up near LA would really understand. It's dark in feeling, but as we know it's never truly dark here.

Mann's pacing of action sequences is as sophisticated as any director I've seen. Not simply frenetic. There's a setup for each moment of extreme violence, then another setup then again and again. The chase sequence at the end of "Last of the Mohicans" had that mesmerizing sense to it (similar in pace to Bank Robbery/Shootout sequence in Heat).

Most of all Mann tells stories with Images. Dialogue has never been his strength, and in a way, I like that as well. Mann doesn't explain a damn thing to the viewer. Forcing concentration on the charachters and images. Nothing worse than excessive "reaction shots" or computers with countdowns to narrate. Mann's dialogue is almost like the viewer listening in on the movies characters as they go about their evil.

Few of his films are complete, but the skills Mann is expert at, few modern filmmakers can approach.

So you're basically saying that he needs Someone else to controll the dialogue portion? Then all would be perfect with his films.

I haven't seen it yet. But I will have to check it out. and to whoever said the original vice wasn't dark. Yes it was. all i remember is Tubb's Girlfriends always getting blown up in some bad mix up. Then that music would start playing. as you watch tubbs in tears, "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO".
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: