Back to the Drawing Board

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chekmatex4
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:58 pm    Post subject: Back to the Drawing Board

With Aldridge reportedly not interested in joining the Lakers, the team needs to go back to the drawing board. It appears that the basketball side of the presentation was weak and the team needs to change its approach to attract free agents.

My opinion is that they need to make an improvement both on the sidelines and front office. I would like for the Lakers to hire Tom Thibodeau and bring in an analytics guy to the front office. Analytics shouldn't be the decision maker, but it should but a point to consider.

Salary Cap

Assuming the 2015-16 season salary cap is $67.1 million, Lakers will have approximately $28.5 million to use in free agency. The 2016-17 salary cap is expected to be $89 million.

Drawing Board

Step 1 - Trade Nick Young for Roy Hibbert's expiring contract. This will utilize about $11 million of the free cap space. Lakers completed the trade for Hibbert. Details and assets involved are still being worked out.

Step 2 - Sign Tobias Harris to a 4 year, $48 million deal ($12 million per year). Harris resigned with Magic. Lakers still have a hole at SF. Maybe they will take a look at Dorrell Wright if the price is right.

Step 3 - Sign Ed Davis or Jordan Hill to a 4 year, $20 million deal ($5 million per year) Lakers signed Lou Williams to a 3 year, $21 million deal. The "instant bench offense" and 6th man role overlap with Nick Young so not sure why this do this trade unless Nick Young is on the move. I still would have preferred a big man or SF over another guard to balance the roster.

Step 4 - Fill out the roster with 1 year deals to maintain salary cap flexibility in 2016-17.

Players under contract in 2016-17 will be Russell ($5.2), Randle ($3.1), Clarkson ($1.2), Nance ($1.2), Harris ($12), Davis/Hill ($5). Total about $27.7 million.

This will leave about $61.3 million in free cap space for 2016-17. Lakers should have enough room to sign TWO free agents. It seems like this will be the only way to get players to join a young team if they can play with their buddies.

Edit: Lakers agree to sign Brandon Bass with terms still being discussed. I hope starting annual salary is $3 million. Would have preferred Jordan Hill if closer to $6 million.

Last edited by chekmatex4 on Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:52 pm; edited 3 times in total
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:09 pm    Post subject:

no four year deals, the Lakers only have $5mil committed after NEXT season, keep it that way and go for a trio, beside players may NOT want to come here until Kobe is gone..!
chekmatex4
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:34 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
no four year deals, the Lakers only have $5mil committed after NEXT season, keep it that way and go for a trio, beside players may NOT want to come here until Kobe is gone..!
They have more than $5 million committed once they sign the 2015 rookies.

The reason why you want to lock players in now is to benefit them at a lower percentage of the overall cap. You will end up with more value in the future when cap goes up.
chekmatex4
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:45 pm    Post subject:

Dallas Mavericks interested in sign and trade for Jeremy Lin. I'm hoping that they can get Justin Anderson for Lin. He's another 3 and D player that is popular in current NBA systems and will result in nice competition between himself and our other rookie, Anthony Brown.

This deal would have to take place 30 days after Justin Anderson sign his contract, similar to the Kevin Love / Andrew Wiggins trade scenario last year. Shouldn't be a problem for the Lakers as I believe they have Lin's bird rights and can go over the cap to re-sign him.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:56 pm    Post subject:

Lakers would take a 2nd pick for Lin...
chekmatex4
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:24 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
Lakers would take a 2nd pick for Lin...

I don't think that will work because contracts have to be similarly valued and 2nd round pick has no value assigned to it. Mavs will likely be over the cap if a sign and trade is agreed to.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: