Voter fraud never happens

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lakers_2000
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:48 pm    Post subject: Voter fraud never happens

Democratic State Representative arrested on 19 charges of voter fraud. Because voter fraud doesn't happen.

http://www.nhregister.com/government-and-politics/20140926/bridgeport-state-rep-christina-ayala-arrested-on-19-voting-fraud-charges

Last edited by Lakers_2000 on Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:07 am; edited 1 time in total
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:01 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
''I am committed to helping Ohio deliver its electoral votes to the president next year,'' wrote Mr. O'Dell,
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Voter fraud never happens

Lakers_2000 wrote:
Democratic State Representative arrested on 19 charges of voter fraud. Because voter fraud doesn't happen.

http://www.nhregister.com/government-and-politics/20140926/bridgeport-state-rep-christina-ayala-arrested-on-19-voting-fraud-charges

I get the feeling you're more against other people's views than for your own.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Voter fraud never happens

ocho wrote:
Lakers_2000 wrote:

Is anyone not more against other people's views than their own?
Wolverine
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Voter fraud never happens

Reflexx wrote:
ocho wrote:
Lakers_2000 wrote:

Is anyone not more against other people's views than their own?

Please read again.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:13 pm    Post subject:

Hello, straw man. No one says voter fraud never happens. We just roll our eyes as white-dominated GOP legislatures use voter fraud as a justification for measures that would do little or nothing to combat voter fraud, but would coincidentally make it harder for racial minorities to vote. The "voter fraud" stuff fools nobody.
Lakers_2000
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:51 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Hello, straw man. No one says voter fraud never happens. We just roll our eyes as white-dominated GOP legislatures use voter fraud as a justification for measures that would do little or nothing to combat voter fraud, but would coincidentally make it harder for racial minorities to vote. The "voter fraud" stuff fools nobody.

People like to say that of course they don't support voter fraud. Then they ridicule every effort that keeps voter fraud down or further clamps down on the fraud that does exist. I'm curious, what exactly are these "white-dominated GOP" anti-fraud measures that make it harder for minorities to vote but not white people?
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:01 pm    Post subject:

Lakers_2000 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

People like to say that of course they don't support voter fraud. Then they ridicule every effort that keeps voter fraud down or further clamps down on the fraud that does exist. I'm curious, what exactly are these "white-dominated GOP" anti-fraud measures that make it harder for minorities to vote but not white people?

AH is exactly right. And your question to him is a smoke screen. There is absolutely no reason for him to do your work for you. You're not interested in discourse so any proof he provided, and it is prodigious, would be quickly dismissed by you. Not worth his time.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:30 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

I think ocho has a point.

For Lakers_2000, his views are secondary to his insistence that your views are somehow hypocritical, which kills any meaningful discourse. No one has said that voter fraud absolutely never happens. But his argument heavily depends on inventing a narrative in which all of the opponents to these laws insist that voter fraud never happens. So when voter fraud is discovered, he can say sarcastically "Voter Fraud Never Happens." As AH said, it's a straw man.

The measures that have been taken to combat its effects, however minimal, tend to disproportionately target certain groups of voters. So in the end, these laws do a lot more harm (making it difficult for many honest people to vote) than good (combating voter fraud).

Based on what he has done in the past, I wouldn't be surprised if he has a link ready that talks about a black Democrat that supports these laws. I've seen that tactic way too many times from him. So voter fraud, or any other issue, becomes merely a vehicle for a type of one-upmanship on his part.

Once the election season picks up, he'll bring up his favorite, the Iraq War. So whenever a supporter of Hillary says that the Iraq War was a mistake, he'll point out that Hillary and other Democrats supported it in Congress, which makes her voters huge hypocrites for voting for a supporter of the Iraq War. And again, his view on the Iraq becomes secondary. He doesn't have to defend his position, he wants you to defend your hypocrisy.

He did the same in a recent thread regarding the Confederate flag controversy by bringing up that Bill Clinton once honored the Confederacy on the Arkansas flag. Hence, we're all hypocrites in our outrage if we voted for Clinton and consider voting for his wife or if we're Democrats or liberals criticizing the Confederate flag. And again, the flag becomes a vehicle for one-upmanship in his attempt to delegitimize the outrage surrounding the flag.
Lakers_2000
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:44 am    Post subject:

In case you were wondering, Wilt was hired last week to be my Official Biographer. I want to thank him for reminding us that Hillary Clinton voted for the Iraq War. I had no intent of bringing it up here - it wasn't even on my mind. But that's why he's my biographer - to remember things for me.

And we're still up to zero examples of these anti-fraud laws that make it harder for minorities to vote but not white people. It seems that some people want to talk about anything but voter fraud in this voter fraud thread.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:18 am    Post subject:

This is "the voter fraud thread"? Naw. It's the failed troll thread about some state rep in New Hampshire who got charged with voting illegally. We know what's going on.
dvdrdiscs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:28 am    Post subject:

Are voter ID laws supposed to stop something like this? Thought so.

I don't know why there is even an argument about voter ID fraud. The statistics are there regarding how insignificant it is. It's M-A-T-H. It's not something you can dispute or have an opinion on.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:14 am    Post subject:

Lakers_2000 wrote:
In case you were wondering, Wilt was hired last week to be my Official Biographer. I want to thank him for reminding us that Hillary Clinton voted for the Iraq War. I had no intent of bringing it up here - it wasn't even on my mind. But that's why he's my biographer - to remember things for me.

And we're still up to zero examples of these anti-fraud laws that make it harder for minorities to vote but not white people. It seems that some people want to talk about anything but voter fraud in this voter fraud thread.

This is sort of what people are talking about. I have no doubts that you believe your conservative views genuinely, but to make hay of the voter fraud issue, which I think you could probably agree is a pretty bogus issue, gives the impression that you're more interested in scoring points against Democrats than you are in really having a substantive discussion.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:17 am    Post subject:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2014/08/06/a-comprehensive-investigation-of-voter-impersonation-finds-31-credible-incidents-out-of-one-billion-ballots-cast/

FWIW.

I'm not up on this issue, or nonissue, but tried to find info that had some investigation to it. I don't know if this has estimates of the amount of valid voters turned away by 'voter fraud' laws, but that impacts this.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: