Income Inequality in America
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lakers_2000
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:40 pm    Post subject:

Income inequality - when based on lack of opportunity rather than poor choices - is a growing problem. I'm one of the minority of Republicans who is vocal about needing to promote an overtly pro-middle class agenda. We need to move away from subsidies, bailouts, corporate welfare, regulations more easily absorbed by big business than others, and taxpayer-funded projects overwhelmingly enjoyed by those at the upper incomes. (sports stadiums and arts palaces do not benefit the middle and lower classes)

This includes making sure that tax cuts don't go disproportionately to the rich beyond their share of income. We need to work towards leveling the market playing field, improve educational opportunities, ensure we are admitting immigrants who are here to work, and making sure regulations aren't inadvertently benefitting the rich.

And the reality is - all of the above would only make a dent in the problem. To me our country's biggest domestic problem, that nobody has much of a solution to, is that we have pockets all over the country that have essentially chosen to be permanent underclass. I'm talking about people who as kids are "too cool for school", and as adults make no effort to establish to maintain even low-level employment nevermind establish a career.

They have no education, no marketable skills, and no desire to do anything to help themselves. But they're not bashful about reproducing. Whether they become criminals or not they are a drain on society. Countries that rank higher than us on things such as quality of life, income equality, education, etc don't have anything close to these dead pockets that we do.

We're always going to have income inequality issues until we can figure out how to address this problem. People willing to work hard and help themselves still overwhelmingly do well in this country, though granted over the past few years it's gotten worse for them. As of now, most of the income equality solutions nibble around the edges and don't cut to the heart of the matter.
marga86
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:50 pm    Post subject:

Lakers_2000 wrote:
Income inequality - when based on lack of opportunity rather than poor choices - is a growing problem. I'm one of the minority of Republicans who is vocal about needing to promote an overtly pro-middle class agenda. We need to move away from subsidies, bailouts, corporate welfare, regulations more easily absorbed by big business than others, and taxpayer-funded projects overwhelmingly enjoyed by those at the upper incomes. (sports stadiums and arts palaces do not benefit the middle and lower classes)

This includes making sure that tax cuts don't go disproportionately to the rich beyond their share of income. We need to work towards leveling the market playing field, improve educational opportunities, ensure we are admitting immigrants who are here to work, and making sure regulations aren't inadvertently benefitting the rich.

And the reality is - all of the above would only make a dent in the problem. To me our country's biggest domestic problem, that nobody has much of a solution to, is that we have pockets all over the country that have essentially chosen to be permanent underclass. I'm talking about people who as kids are "too cool for school", and as adults make no effort to establish to maintain even low-level employment nevermind establish a career.

They have no education, no marketable skills, and no desire to do anything to help themselves. But they're not bashful about reproducing. Whether they become criminals or not they are a drain on society. Countries that rank higher than us on things such as quality of life, income equality, education, etc don't have anything close to these dead pockets that we do.

We're always going to have income inequality issues until we can figure out how to address this problem. People willing to work hard and help themselves still overwhelmingly do well in this country, though granted over the past few years it's gotten worse for them. As of now, most of the income equality solutions nibble around the edges and don't cut to the heart of the matter.

as a Compton high school graduate, I can tell you this is a PREVELANT issue. It's gotten better since I've graduated (2004), but man it was like a plague back then.

Also - I'm not gonna ignore the person who goes to a liberal arts private school for $50k a year just to major in history.

Don't expect to be making $100k out of college, and if you think $200k in loans is cake, then I'd have to question your basic intelligence. It doesn't take a genius to tell you that $200k being repaid in 10 years is a boat load of money a month (excluding interest).
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:15 pm    Post subject:

Lakers_2000 wrote:

I hope that you include in this population those on disability. Disability is a so huge it's unbelievable and let me tell you, of those who are on disability, which, BTW costs more than Welfare and food stamps combined, only a very few are actually unable to work.

I had a dude the other night. Middle aged, in good health except for his smoking and he said that he was on disability. I asked him what his disability was and he said "Osteoporosis." It's becoming more lame by the day. What a scam that system is.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:13 pm    Post subject:

KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:

I hope that you include in this population those on disability. Disability is a so huge it's unbelievable and let me tell you, of those who are on disability, which, BTW costs more than Welfare and food stamps combined, only a very few are actually unable to work.

I had a dude the other night. Middle aged, in good health except for his smoking and he said that he was on disability. I asked him what his disability was and he said "Osteoporosis." It's becoming more lame by the day. What a scam that system is.

I think I posted this article when it came out. Still a good read.

http://apps.npr.org/unfit-for-work/
Dominator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:20 pm    Post subject:

Lakers_2000 wrote:

I have a friend that claimed she got disability for a drug addiction.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:59 pm    Post subject:

Lakers_2000 wrote:

Yup. Unemployment too.

Down with entitlements. It breeds laziness.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: