Thank you Lakersground.net from a Lin fan(s)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LG Neighborhood Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
13th Man
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:00 pm    Post subject: Thank you Lakersground.net from a Lin fan(s)

Didn't get a chance to say this in the Lin thread before it got closed so wanted to drop a quick message if you don't mind. I hope that other Lin fans are able to chime in here to express their gratification as well.

Thank you Lakersground for the opportunity for us fans to express ourselves freely and fairly for the most part. It was a very long and interesting season to say the least, emotions ran rampant across the spectrum but you can all breathe a sigh of relief now

Despite the relationship between Lin and the Lakers ending on somewhat of a bitter note, this doesn't take away from the appreciation that I have for the moderators here who are full of class and amongst the best that I've seen anywhere. Thank you DB, CL, 24 and the rest of the crew you guys are awesome! So many knowledgeable and great posters here as well, thanks for the learning experience.

Personally, I will still follow the Lakers and hope for them to do well; notably the young talents in Randle, Clarkson and Russell. Good times are ahead for this legendary franchise. Best of luck!

yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:01 pm    Post subject:

Take care and good luck. I'm still a Lin fan and I go by Charlottw a couple times a year. May catch him there.
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:04 pm    Post subject:

Most of ya'll are good peeps. The rest , well, I'm sure you'll liven up the Hornets message boards. Best of luck and best wishes.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:04 pm    Post subject:

Stir up the Hornet's nest for me please.
Anon-kun
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:08 pm    Post subject:

good luck to you guys too
hope Lin and his fans get a good year
hdtvset
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:12 pm    Post subject:

Thanks Lin and good luck to you!
Purp 32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:12 pm    Post subject:

Lin fans were extremely kind, for the most part. Good luck in Charlotte next year!
13th Man
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:29 pm    Post subject:

lakerjoshua wrote:
Most of ya'll are good peeps. The rest , well, I'm sure you'll liven up the Hornets message boards. Best of luck and best wishes.

Thanks man!
Honeybadger81
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:29 pm    Post subject:

same here, learned a lot from this forum...
I am going to stay though, I think this young lakers team potentially could be very exciting... was hoping for a Russell, Clarkson, Lin three guards rotation, well, a bit disappointed though... regardless, I will root for this lakers team and hang out here...
Reds622
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:34 pm    Post subject:

Why would anyone be a fan of a particular player, and jump from team to team to wherever that player plays? That just doesn't make any sense to me.. Especially a player as mediocre as Jeremy Lin..

Aren't you a fan of a particular team where you grew up? Why wouldn't you root for that team?
Honeybadger81
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:45 pm    Post subject:

Reds622 wrote:
Why would anyone be a fan of a particular player, and jump from team to team to wherever that player plays? That just doesn't make any sense to me.. Especially a player as mediocre as Jeremy Lin..

Aren't you a fan of a particular team where you grew up? Why wouldn't you root for that team?

my case is I am a NBA fan in general, I root for a few teams .... I am a fan of Lin, root for his team...
always rooted for Kobe's lakers in the final though
13th Man
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:49 pm    Post subject:

Reds622 wrote:

Not really. I'm Canadian and Asian so I have both Nationalistic and racial ties to certain players, it's natural. If you look at my RealGM profile, my favourite team are the Timberwolves, not the Lakers or Hornets. Been following Andrew Wiggins since his HS days and will follow him everywhere he goes. Am also a big fan of Steve Nash. As for Lin, he's the only Asian in the NBA right now with a good underdog story so he's a great inspiration and role model. It's not because I am racist or else I wouldn't have been following the NBA for 30 years. I'm also a fan of talented but humble and respectable athletes, hence why I'm a huge Wiggins fan and am also liking what I see from this D'angelo Russell kid thus far.

I mean if there was one Black, White, Brown player in any major league, he'd probably get a ton of support from his community as well wherever he goes; i.e. Tiger Woods in golf, so why not Jeremy Lin in basketball?

Oddly enough, I haven't been a fan of the Raptors since the Vince Carter days. Was never a Grizzlies fan either when they were in Vancouver. What this means to me is that I care more about the roster makeup of the team than the team location. Now If the Raptors had mostly Canadian players then they'd be my favourite team but they don't. That's just the way it is...I don't know how else to express my sincere thoughts on this.

Last edited by 13th Man on Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:55 pm    Post subject:

Reds622 wrote:

I doubt most of Lin's fans have any attachment to a particular city. That is probably why they jump from team to team since they are fans of the player. Compared to a large majority of the Lakers fans here who probably grew up in LA and grew up watching Laker basketball and their trials and tribulations.
13th Man
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:06 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Reds622 wrote:

I doubt most of Lin's fans have any attachment to a particular city. That is probably why they jump from team to team since they are fans of the player. Compared to a large majority of the Lakers fans here who probably grew up in LA and grew up watching Laker basketball and their trials and tribulations.

Many Lin fans have 2 fav. teams; one that is "genuine" such as their hometown or for other reasons (fan of particular player). and the other is where Lin plays. I don't think there's anything wrong with this and I'm not ashamed to admit it either.

Then of course there are noob basketball fans that only became fans of the NBA because of Lin.
lakeshowtacular
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:04 am    Post subject:

I have two favorite teams, the Lakers and whoever is playing the Celtics!!!

Good luck JLin. You are a good dude, hope you rekindle some Linsanity for the Hornets.
13th Man
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:05 am    Post subject:

Funny thing is that my favorite team growing up was the Lakers and my favorite players were Kareem, Magic and Byron Scott. Always rooted for them over the Celtics who I hated because of guys like Ainge.
Reds622
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:13 am    Post subject:

13th Man wrote:
Reds622 wrote:

Not really. I'm Canadian and Asian so I have both Nationalistic and racial ties to certain players, it's natural. If you look at my RealGM profile, my favourite team are the Timberwolves, not the Lakers or Hornets. Been following Andrew Wiggins since his HS days and will follow him everywhere he goes. Am also a big fan of Steve Nash. As for Lin, he's the only Asian in the NBA right now with a good underdog story so he's a great inspiration and role model. It's not because I am racist or else I wouldn't have been following the NBA for 30 years. I'm also a fan of talented but humble and respectable athletes, hence why I'm a huge Wiggins fan and am also liking what I see from this D'angelo Russell kid thus far.

I mean if there was one Black, White, Brown player in any major league, he'd probably get a ton of support from his community as well wherever he goes; i.e. Tiger Woods in golf, so why not Jeremy Lin in basketball?

Oddly enough, I haven't been a fan of the Raptors since the Vince Carter days. Was never a Grizzlies fan either when they were in Vancouver. What this means to me is that I care more about the roster makeup of the team than the team location. Now If the Raptors had mostly Canadian players then they'd be my favourite team but they don't. That's just the way it is...I don't know how else to express my sincere thoughts on this.

But Tiger Woods is a generational player that just so happens to be African American.. By the way, fans of only Tiger Woods and not the PGA Tour doesn't seem to be based on race at all.. Lin, on the other hand, is a journeyman basketball player who I would categorize as below average. So it's odd to me that a below average player would have a group of fans that follow him from team to team, where the player isn't all that good. Either way, good luck on your quest of wasting more of your time watching crappy basketball. Hopefully Lin "puts up the numbers" for you.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:23 am    Post subject:

Good pickup for the bi-annual exception, but he is what he is: A hardworking guy who will be a career journeyman. It's a pretty good life and he's a worthy idol I guess, just temper your expectations.
13th Man
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:11 am    Post subject:

Reds622 wrote:
13th Man wrote:
Reds622 wrote:

But Tiger Woods is a generational player that just so happens to be African American.. By the way, fans of only Tiger Woods and not the PGA Tour doesn't seem to be based on race at all.. Lin, on the other hand, is a journeyman basketball player who I would categorize as below average. So it's odd to me that a below average player would have a group of fans that follow him from team to team, where the player isn't all that good. Either way, good luck on your quest of wasting more of your time watching crappy basketball. Hopefully Lin "puts up the numbers" for you.

Fyi, the Hornets were a better team than the Lakers so I'm not sure which team you're referring to by saying crappy basketball. I'm also a fan of the Wolves, why don't we all just quit watching basketball all-together unless you're a fan of a playoff contending team?

This thread wasn't meant to turn into a debate but I have to disagree with all of your assertions, regarding Lin as well.

You have a right to your opinion of Lin as a below average player, but doesn't mean that others should feel the same way. I question why some haters like to follow Lin fans around the Internet and try to berate them as much as you question why he has so many fans. Trust me, this still happens. Go to CF (popular Rockets board) and you'll see the same guys continuously stalking and talking bad about Lin's every move. Go to realgm and you'll see people invading Lin team forums to stir up trouble.

I encourage you to see the world through different perspectives rather than through your own bubble. Not sure if you do any travelling but if you do, you'd appreciate the views from all different cultures and would try to understand why they think and behave the way they do.

I get the impression that everybody on this board (including the mods by moving this thread instantly from the main forum) is sick of Lin talk and his fans which I understand but that's alright.

I've always believed in showing gratitude. I've been entertained by this board and and thankful for the mods for allowing this to happen. Hopefully I'll be able to continue posting without judgement as a Laker fan as well.

Last edited by 13th Man on Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:16 am; edited 3 times in total
13th Man
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:12 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
Good pickup for the bi-annual exception, but he is what he is: A hardworking guy who will be a career journeyman. It's a pretty good life and he's a worthy idol I guess, just temper your expectations.

Nobody knows how things will turn out that's why we watch. Everybody has different expectations, time will tell.
Reds622
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:39 am    Post subject:

13th Man wrote:
Reds622 wrote:
13th Man wrote:
Reds622 wrote:

Boy, where do I start here:

Fyi, the Hornets were a better team than the Lakers so I'm not sure which team you're referring to by saying crappy basketball. I'm also a fan of the Wolves, why don't we all just quit watching basketball all-together unless you're a fan of a playoff contending team?

I think this is the type of statement that turns fans of a team off after all of the Lin fans begin to bombard the team message board after signing him to a deal.. When you're not really a fan of the team, and just provide opinion as to only a specific player, for the purpose of having some sort of narrative you find fulfilled by continuously cheering only for the player and not the team, then it has a tendency to turn a lot of true fans off who want these posters to just get out and stay away. Frankly, it's difficult to welcome a fan who is not actually a fan of the team. Really, you're just a troll.

You have a right to your opinion of Lin as a below average player, but doesn't mean that others should feel the same way. I question why some haters like to follow Lin fans around the Internet and try to berate them as much as you question why he has so many fans. Trust me, this still happens. Go to CF (popular Rockets board) and you'll see the same guys continuously stalking and talking bad about Lin's every move. Go to realgm and you'll see people invading Lin team forums to stir up trouble.

Trust me, in a few short weeks, no one around here will be talking about Jeremy Lin anymore, if anyone besides his "fans" were talking about him in the first place. No one was ever that excited about the trade that brought him here.. Everyone understood we were paying 15 million dollars for a first round draft pick.

I encourage you to see the world through different perspectives rather than through your own bubble. Not sure if you do any travelling but if you do, you'd appreciate the views from all different cultures and would try to understand why they think and behave the way they do.

I have traveled most of the globe.. I have seen other cultures, and I have lived in other cultures for significant periods of time. I think the person who really needs to find a different perspective, and to get outside of "your own bubble," as you say, is you.. You identify the entire league, essentially, with one player and one player only. I am assuming, and you can tell me if I am wrong on this, that you are a bigger "Lin" fan then even a fan of Minnesota.. And if that's the case, then I think it is fair to say that you have chosen to ignore/not root for a specific team in the entire league for the sole purpose of rooting for a specific individual that you identify with strictly on the basis of race, ethnicity, etc. So, please don't preach to me about getting "outside of my bubble."

I get the impression that everybody on this board (including the mods by moving this thread instantly from the main forum) is sick of Lin talk and his fans which I understand but that's alright.

Again, this is because other fans find it annoying to only be a fan of a team because of one crappy player.. Let me put it to you this way. If Kobe Bryant was traded, most of the people on these forums would not then switch their allegiance to the team he was traded to... And were talking about one of the greatest players of all time. I know this might be difficult for you to grasp, but people who post on a "Lakers Message Board" actually are fans of the team. They wouldn't abandon the team when there favorite player was traded somewhere else. I think that's why most around here have a problem with the Lin fans, because if even one of the greatest players to ever wear a Lakers jersey was traded to another team, they wouldn't flock and have that team become there new favorite.

I've always believed in showing gratitude. I've been entertained by this board and and thankful for the mods for allowing this to happen. Hopefully I'll be able to continue posting without judgement as a Laker fan as well.

If your post involves Jeremy Lin and how well he is doing somewhere else, etc., I think I speak for everyone, although I will not assume that I do, when I say just please don't. I think most have had enough.

angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:05 am    Post subject:

13th Man wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:

Nobody knows how things will turn out that's why we watch. Everybody has different expectations, time will tell.

True. Lin might grow 12 inches and become a Hall of Fame center.
13th Man
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:36 am    Post subject:

I'll be quick bc I have to run. Reds622, yes I do understand that regular fans could be annoyed when a certain group of fans go overboard in defending a player but when there's some validity in their arguments, you can't simply overlook that. I disagree with you that he's an under-average player as well, but I'm going to lambaste you for it. You're entitled to your opinion and time will tell whether it's correct or not.

In a few weeks if nobody here talks about Lin that's fine, that's why this thread is in the general board but fyi people are still talking about Lin in the Rockets forum years after he's gone.

Most of us have already moved onto where it is relevant to talk about him. What makes more sense? Lin fans joining the Hornets forum or Lakers/Rockets fans joining the Hornet forums to stir up crap. Are you insinuating that Lin fans shouldn't be allowed to follow him around? Why should you care so much what his fans do?

Trust me, If I post on the general forum from now on it will be about the Lakers not about Lin. I genuinely like Clarkson, Randle and Russell and I'm excited to watch them grow.

Believe it or not I am a bigger fan of the Wolves than the Hornets. I have a Ballstreams account and will most likely watch live games of the Wolves while watching replays of the Hornets and Lakers next year. Last year I was fortunate to catch both the Wolves and Lakers because of the difference in time zones.
Anthony Peeler
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:50 pm    Post subject:

Reds622 wrote:
13th Man wrote:
Reds622 wrote:

Tiger is half Asian and quarter black so if anything, he's Asian American.

Go Lakers! Go Randle, Russell, and Clarkson!
blueice
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:51 pm    Post subject:

Reds622 wrote:

Well, what about people who don't have a team in their city or state? There are also NBA fans who are not even from or in the states, so it's a bit hard to just like a team. I am an example. I don't live in any state that has a NBA team, so how do I bring myself to solely support Lakers? The only possible attractions are maybe players, coach, and maybe system. There won't be as many Asian Laker fans if there's no Kobe. As for coach and system...uh, I don't think the current coach and his system appealing at all. I prefer Spurs for its coach, system, and play style.

Anyways, thanks for a pleasant year and the harmonious atmosphere throughout. I know mods were so happy that they could finally close the Lin thread, so thanks for all the patience.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LG Neighborhood All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: