Lakers in the News 7/18/15: Byron Scott says D'Angelo Russell is 'not Magic Johnson'
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerBeastmode
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:21 am    Post subject:

Reporter: Coach do you have to recalibrate your expectations for how quickly guys like 19 year old Russell 20 year old Randle can help immediately this year?
Byron Scott: Well we know it's gonna take him some time you know everybody who understands this game knows that (Shrugs his shoulders) I mean they are not going to come in you know (Byron shaking his head in disbelief) . Let's...Let's just make this very clear you know Russell is not Magic Johnson
LoyalLakerfan44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Lakers in the News 7/18/15: Byron Scott says D'Angelo Russell is 'not Magic Johnson'

ChickenStu wrote:
lakersfreak wrote:
Byron Scott says D'Angelo Russell is 'not Magic Johnson'
by Eric Pincus - latimes.com

The Lakers wrapped up summer league in Las Vegas on Friday with an 84-78 loss to the Utah Jazz, falling to 1-4 despite carrying at least seven players under contract that will play for the team this upcoming season.

"I think we all expected them to be better, but we all need to understand that they're still very young and very new to this," said Coach Byron Scott, who observed the games while assistant coach Mark Madsen ran the summer squad.

"They've got a long way to go," Scott said. "They have a lot of work to do. I'm very happy with the progress they made from game one to game five."

..."Let's make this very clear, Russell is not Magic Johnson," said Scott. "Magic came on the scene, and instantly he's a Hall-of-Famer. D'Angelo has a way to go, there's no doubt about that.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/lakersnow/la-sp-ln-byron-scott-dangelo-russell-not-magic-20150717-story.html

"Let's make this very clear, Byron Scott is not Gregg Popovich," said ChickenStu.
Honestly did you believe he was? Byron didn't say anything that's not true.
mnstrdnk
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:25 am    Post subject:

LakerBeastmode wrote:
Byron Scott did not say anything that was not the truth. For what it's worth Magic is a damn legend. D lo has only played PG for only a year and include the amount of summer league weeks and that is all of D lo has played that position. But the way the coach of the Lakers conveyed his message is his lack of confidence with his current piece and if I interpret his message that way then he is not worth coaching those who will contribute to his success, but it seems like he already made up his mind on the potential ceiling of his new talented player by comparing him with a known superstar. Why give the media the needed ammo to put the Lakers Down when his own Showtime season of a failure last year was the worst in Lakers recorded history. If he can't say anything positive he should not entertain questions that compares legends with rookies when he still represents the face of the team.

Agreed. Byron had disappointed in so many ways. Unless I'm missing something he really lacks the ability to relate to his players. Is he trying to motivate? What he says has some merit but when you're managing a professional team you don't just run your mouth like that. Unless DR said that he's the second coming of Magic that comment was assenign. He basically is saying you're not going to be that good.
Fruscas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:06 pm    Post subject:

ok, can the Lakers fire him already? please?
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:54 pm    Post subject:

Russell is better at his job than Byron is at his. I don't want to hear my .429 winning percentage coach talking any type of negative crap about the future of our franchise. It's not becoming. Simple as that.
M2K
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:00 pm    Post subject:

Fruscas wrote:

kobe_luver
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:19 pm    Post subject:

M2K wrote:
Fruscas wrote:

Pretty please!!
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Lakers in the News 7/18/15: Byron Scott says D'Angelo Russell is 'not Magic Johnson'

ChickenStu wrote:
lakersfreak wrote:
Byron Scott says D'Angelo Russell is 'not Magic Johnson'
by Eric Pincus - latimes.com

The Lakers wrapped up summer league in Las Vegas on Friday with an 84-78 loss to the Utah Jazz, falling to 1-4 despite carrying at least seven players under contract that will play for the team this upcoming season.

"I think we all expected them to be better, but we all need to understand that they're still very young and very new to this," said Coach Byron Scott, who observed the games while assistant coach Mark Madsen ran the summer squad.

"They've got a long way to go," Scott said. "They have a lot of work to do. I'm very happy with the progress they made from game one to game five."

..."Let's make this very clear, Russell is not Magic Johnson," said Scott. "Magic came on the scene, and instantly he's a Hall-of-Famer. D'Angelo has a way to go, there's no doubt about that.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/lakersnow/la-sp-ln-byron-scott-dangelo-russell-not-magic-20150717-story.html

"Let's make this very clear, Byron Scott is not Gregg Popovich," said ChickenStu.

Werd. On a variety of levels I was not stoked when I heard him say that...
Travis Bickle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:24 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Russell is better at his job than Byron is at his. I don't want to hear my .429 winning percentage coach talking any type of negative crap about the future of our franchise. It's not becoming. Simple as that.

Wow you still insist on take that quote out of context? Watch the full interview and see for yourself.

I know Eric Pincus has been a member of this board for a very long time but that headline is a little deceiving. If you watch the full interview he is very complementary of Russel. He was just trying to set realistic expectations for Russell's rookie year. Remember Magic came out after 2 years of college...

Last edited by Travis Bickle on Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:34 pm    Post subject:

Travis Bickle wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Wow you still insist on take that quote out of context? Watch the full interview and see for yourself.

I don't insist on anything. I have no agenda with anything. It just wasn't a smart thing to say.
Travis Bickle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:40 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Travis Bickle wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

I don't insist on anything. I have no agenda with anything. It just wasn't a smart thing to say.

Any quote can be made to sound bad taken out of context. Watch the full interview. He is very high on Russell. The original question was about rookie expectations. Scott is just trying set expectations at a realistic level for Russell in his rookie year.
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:48 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Travis Bickle wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

I watched the interview and the quote is not nearly as insulting as you're trying to make it seem.
foreveralakerfan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:00 pm    Post subject:

He's not Kobe Bryant either. so what.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:03 pm    Post subject:

This is Wayne Gretzky talking about Connor McDavid:

"Going right from junior to the NHL? That’s a big step for Connor," Gretzky said. "But he’s the one guy who can handle it. He’ll be fine. With his speed and his shot and his creativity and his hockey knowledge, that’s as good as anybody."

That's how you talk about a young player that is immensely talented, and a guy that you hope can lead your franchise into the future. Positive comments. Instead, we get...

Negative, negative, negative, negative. And he even reinforces his negativity in the same sentences.

We can agree to disagree, for those who think this is perfectly OK. Look, it's not like it's a fireable offense or anything. I just don't like it, and I don't think it's smart. And he doesn't get the benefit of the doubt when it comes to motivational tactics, either.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:12 pm    Post subject:

mnstrdnk wrote:
LakerBeastmode wrote:
Byron Scott did not say anything that was not the truth. For what it's worth Magic is a damn legend. D lo has only played PG for only a year and include the amount of summer league weeks and that is all of D lo has played that position. But the way the coach of the Lakers conveyed his message is his lack of confidence with his current piece and if I interpret his message that way then he is not worth coaching those who will contribute to his success, but it seems like he already made up his mind on the potential ceiling of his new talented player by comparing him with a known superstar. Why give the media the needed ammo to put the Lakers Down when his own Showtime season of a failure last year was the worst in Lakers recorded history. If he can't say anything positive he should not entertain questions that compares legends with rookies when he still represents the face of the team.

Agreed. Byron had disappointed in so many ways. Unless I'm missing something he really lacks the ability to relate to his players. Is he trying to motivate? What he says has some merit but when you're managing a professional team you don't just run your mouth like that. Unless DR said that he's the second coming of Magic that comment was assenign. He basically is saying you're not going to be that good.

Agreed. BS is the ultimate ass no player should want to play for. If you have nothing good to say about our own players, than shut the hell up.

BS is terrible, what is the FO seeng? I don't know...
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:35 pm    Post subject:

In context, was neither untrue nor insulting.
Scoffs
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:43 pm    Post subject:

Sets a negative tone with the young pg. Scott shouldn't have said it. There are better ways to tamp down the unrealistic expectations than to say he's not as good as the best pg ever.

Russell's already heard the "he's a bust, he's slow, should've drafted Okafor" comments. He doesn't need to hear anything negative from his coach.
EmoDias
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:19 pm    Post subject:

tlim wrote:
Scott is setting expectations. Russell is still adjusting to the speed of the game.

Magic played as if time slowed the heck down for him and played well above his age. Not a lot of passers were anywhere as gifted since then. (Stockton is one but nowhere the size to impose his will).

Russell might be become really good but let's not crush him by expecting Johnson type numbers and abilities on day 1.

Let's see how Scott does this year before having more cows. Remember how much Monday morning QBing people were doing with the Aldridge thing? Well, we had contingency plans. Who ever thought we were the odds on favorites to get him, well I have a bridge to sell you.

It's the summer. Scott didn't coach the games. He's just watching and using his eyes (which in general, are more trained than almost all of us) and setting expectations. So Russell has flashes of magic but let's just relax and enjoy Russell for him and not opining for the ghost of magic.

So you're saying we also have a contingency plan for the coaching position? Hope it's Nashty or Thibbs and not Mad Dog.
tlim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:37 pm    Post subject:

EmoDias wrote:
tlim wrote:
Scott is setting expectations. Russell is still adjusting to the speed of the game.

Magic played as if time slowed the heck down for him and played well above his age. Not a lot of passers were anywhere as gifted since then. (Stockton is one but nowhere the size to impose his will).

Russell might be become really good but let's not crush him by expecting Johnson type numbers and abilities on day 1.

Let's see how Scott does this year before having more cows. Remember how much Monday morning QBing people were doing with the Aldridge thing? Well, we had contingency plans. Who ever thought we were the odds on favorites to get him, well I have a bridge to sell you.

It's the summer. Scott didn't coach the games. He's just watching and using his eyes (which in general, are more trained than almost all of us) and setting expectations. So Russell has flashes of magic but let's just relax and enjoy Russell for him and not opining for the ghost of magic.

So you're saying we also have a contingency plan for the coaching position? Hope it's Nashty or Thibbs and not Mad Dog.

You don't think they've gone over it a bunch of times? Took them forever to just have Scott by the coach. Now that we have talent, more coaches will think that the Lakers could be a possibility. Winning solves a lot of problems, and if we get into the mid 40s in wins, I'm sure super stars think they can take it to the championship levels and would consider joining.

We all know that joining the 4th worst team in the league for a superstar really isn't something they want to do no matter your history.
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:12 pm    Post subject:

We can and will criticize Byron for a lot of things but his comment about Russell was benign. In fact, he was trying to alleviate pressure off of Russell probably for himself and from the media by saying he's not going to be Magic Johnson out of the gate. Byron said that Russell will take time to develop which any objective observer can say is correct.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:44 pm    Post subject:

tlim wrote:
EmoDias wrote:
tlim wrote:

You don't think they've gone over it a bunch of times? Took them forever to just have Scott by the coach. Now that we have talent, more coaches will think that the Lakers could be a possibility. Winning solves a lot of problems, and if we get into the mid 40s in wins, I'm sure super stars think they can take it to the championship levels and would consider joining.

We all know that joining the 4th worst team in the league for a superstar really isn't something they want to do no matter your history.
When the superstars are available, the Lakers will have a surprisingly good roster.

Mitch has proven very adept of analyzing and acquiring good complimentary talent. Six players from last year's roster have found other homes in the NBA. From Ronnie Price (Phoenix) to Ed Davis (Portland) to JLin at Charlotte to Wes Johnson (Clippers), other teams have seen value. This year's crop of rookies has the potential of producing good players outside of Russell and Randle.

Did anybody think that Monroe, LMA or Jordan are superstars. They have a great deal of God-given talent and physical skills, but not the desire or compassion to anything close to Kobe or Shaq

Many fans have railed against Thibs, Carlisle has been criticized for micromanaging/alienating players (Rondo, JKidd), Sporlstra almost was fired, McHale is considered a coaching embecile, many are complaining about Doc's strategic decisions and other examples illustrate that all coaches are demonized

The bottom line is winning rings

Does BScott's offense look ineffective, The Triangle was considered ancient and antiquated despite its use bringing 11 rings to The Zen Master. DKidd and CP3 thrived under the BScott's system

Pop's system with the Spurs would result in some serious time before the offensive/defensive schemes were effectively executed plus they had some players name TD, Manu and TParker anchoring the team

Golden State had supremely talented players that already were used to playing together before Steve Kerr got there. They had the perfect season of having no serious injuries, Lee/Iggy were supportive of coming off the bench, other teams had injuries (Spurs, OKC, Grizzs, Cavs) and they surprised the league by having a very quick start that gave them confidence before anybody knew what happened

Will BScott be the right coach to develop the team into serious contenders, don't know. One might ask the question if Rivers, Thibbs. Karl, Dunleavy, Stevens, Carlisle and others eod have done much better last year (nope) or this year (probably not)
Dwarf Nebula
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:45 pm    Post subject:

Wilkes52 wrote:
CabinCreek44 wrote:
There's nothing wrong with what Scott said. He is correct. Russell is not Magic Johnson! Not counting his half-season comeback in 1996, the real NBA legend Magic Johnson has been gone for almost a quarter century. During that time, there has not been another player like Magic Johnson, and the fabled "Showtime", created by Magic, has never re-emerged either. And neither of those phenomena will EVER happen again.

The hype on all of these young guys is ridiculous. All these insipid comparisons to former players is silly. Just let the players develop and see how it all pans out.

Scott was exactly right, Magic came into the league and instantly changed it. It seems doubtful D'Angelo Russell will do that. He played a nice game last night and that was great to see. I have no doubt he's going to be a fine player, but it may not happen overnight.

Summer league games are meaningful in that they help the players and coaching staff get a feel for the things that need to be worked on. But from a media and fan "analysis" standpoint, their value seems minimal, and imo there's far too much emphasis placed on them.

I agree that no reasonable person (i.e., I mean no one) expected Russell to be Magic Johnson. I simply think the club got some high potential help in this draft, and that there is more talent on the new roster than on one we saw last year. One step at a time.

There will never be another Magic and I really hate when the media compares anyone to him. Russell is no Magic and either is Lebron for that matter. Magic's passing and instincts were second to none and the fact that he was 6'9 made him the ultimate point guard..

When speaking of Russell it's the court vision, passing ability and leadership that offer a slight comparison but the 2 have very different body types. I see Russell as a combination of Curry and Silk. Also see a little of the smoothness that was apparent in Brandon Roy's game. He should be fun to watch in the coming years. I'm not at all worried that he will fail to live up to expectations. If only I felt the same way about Randle. Hopefully they'll both become great players. We'll see.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:34 am    Post subject:

Dwarf Nebula wrote:
Wilkes52 wrote:
CabinCreek44 wrote:
There's nothing wrong with what Scott said. He is correct. Russell is not Magic Johnson! Not counting his half-season comeback in 1996, the real NBA legend Magic Johnson has been gone for almost a quarter century. During that time, there has not been another player like Magic Johnson, and the fabled "Showtime", created by Magic, has never re-emerged either. And neither of those phenomena will EVER happen again.

The hype on all of these young guys is ridiculous. All these insipid comparisons to former players is silly. Just let the players develop and see how it all pans out.

Scott was exactly right, Magic came into the league and instantly changed it. It seems doubtful D'Angelo Russell will do that. He played a nice game last night and that was great to see. I have no doubt he's going to be a fine player, but it may not happen overnight.

Summer league games are meaningful in that they help the players and coaching staff get a feel for the things that need to be worked on. But from a media and fan "analysis" standpoint, their value seems minimal, and imo there's far too much emphasis placed on them.
I agree that no reasonable person (i.e., I mean no one) expected Russell to be Magic Johnson. I simply think the club got some high potential help in this draft, and that there is more talent on the new roster than on one we saw last year. One step at a time.
There will never be another Magic and I really hate when the media compares anyone to him. Russell is no Magic and either is Lebron for that matter. Magic's passing and instincts were second to none and the fact that he was 6'9 made him the ultimate point guard..

When speaking of Russell it's the court vision, passing ability and leadership that offer a slight comparison but the 2 have very different body types. I see Russell as a combination of Curry and Silk. Also see a little of the smoothness that was apparent in Brandon Roy's game. He should be fun to watch in the coming years. I'm not at all worried that he will fail to live up to expectations. If only I felt the same way about Randle. Hopefully they'll both become great players. We'll see.
Magic also had an old everyday journeyman center that some people mysteriously called 'The Cap"

Hopefully Hibbert will provide an inside presence on offense (passes into the post and some efficiency) and defense (that will allow the young pups make the opposing offenses go into scramble mode)

With Brown, Russell and Clarkson able to switch on mostly everything while playing the 1 to the 3, our front court will be interesting to watch with one hoping the Hibbert and Upshaw always playing with a "chip on their shoulder"
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:26 am    Post subject:

Magic is the greatest player of all time. No one is Magic. Russell will still be a great player.
CabinCreek44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:06 am    Post subject:

Travis Bickle wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

I know Eric Pincus has been a member of this board for a very long time but that headline is a little deceiving. If you watch the full interview he is very complementary of Russel. He was just trying to set realistic expectations for Russell's rookie year. Remember Magic came out after 2 years of college...

I don't think the writers determine the headlines of their pieces in the newspaper business iirc, I doubt that headline came from Pincus.

We live in an era of, in many ways, a warped, desperate media. The newspaper and periodical business is dying. They are frantic for "clicks", and that plays into the headline writing, they are trying to grab one's attention and get them to click. They are trying to, in their own parlance, "start a conversation".

"Byron says Russell is no Magic" is a perfect way to accomplish their aims.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: