Colin Cowherd leaving ESPN
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:25 am    Post subject:

I stopped listening to him a few months ago. I don't remember the exact topic, but he cut off a caller for no reason at all, other than the caller was making a very good point and Cowherd just didn't like it because he had been arguing the opposite for the last 30 minutes. It was mean spirited and I literally switched the station immediately and haven't listened to him since. It was just the last straw for me. He had become so repetitive about certain things, making every show almost identical.

Some of the things he'd talk about almost every single day.

- Baseball has bad TV ratings. Audience is getting older.
- If Hockey had better ratings, he'd talk about it more. But since it doesn't, he doesn't care about hockey.
- The San Antonio Spurs are apparently the greatest organization in the history of the world. He used to say the same about the New England Patriots, but he talked about them less after deflategate.
- When you wear your hat backwards, you aren't a serious person. Then he'd list some athletes that have never worn their hat backwards, except that all of them have worn them backwards from time to time. Tom Brady was usually his go-to example of a serious person.
- The weather in the north is bad, thus football schools in the South have a significant advantage in attracting recruits. Related to that, the population in the north is declining, thus schools like Michigan will face problems in the long-term.
- His daughter plays basketball.

He's right on many of those things, but his insistence to keep repeating it was just too much.

And as other have said, he just doesn't seem like a nice person.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:46 am    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
I stopped listening to him a few months ago. I don't remember the exact topic, but he cut off a caller for no reason at all, other than the caller was making a very good point and Cowherd just didn't like it because he had been arguing the opposite for the last 30 minutes. It was mean spirited and I literally switched the station immediately and haven't listened to him since. It was just the last straw for me. He had become so repetitive about certain things, making every show almost identical.

Some of the things he'd talk about almost every single day.

- Baseball has bad TV ratings. Audience is getting older.
- If Hockey had better ratings, he'd talk about it more. But since it doesn't, he doesn't care about hockey.
- The San Antonio Spurs are apparently the greatest organization in the history of the world. He used to say the same about the New England Patriots, but he talked about them less after deflategate.
- When you wear your hat backwards, you aren't a serious person. Then he'd list some athletes that have never worn their hat backwards, except that all of them have worn them backwards from time to time. Tom Brady was usually his go-to example of a serious person.
- The weather in the north is bad, thus football schools in the South have a significant advantage in attracting recruits. Related to that, the population in the north is declining, thus schools like Michigan will face problems in the long-term.
- His daughter plays basketball.

He's right on many of those things, but his insistence to keep repeating it was just too much.

And as other have said, he just doesn't seem like a nice person.

very good assessment on Collin. he does make some good points, but like to repeat himself every show even when the topic never being brought up. you can add Andrew Luck and Russell Wilson is better than RG3 to the list of the repetitive items.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:11 am    Post subject:

So now I won't be listening because he isn't on instead of not listening because he sucks?
easybreeze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:29 am    Post subject:

I like his style. Listening to his replacement is just plan horrible.
Big Game James
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:04 am    Post subject:

ESPN has really suffered a huge loss with both of their radio talents leaving. Allowing conditions to get to the point where Dan Patrick quits and then the knee jerk reaction to Colin Cowherd's comment, has really shifted the weight of sports talk radio in Los Angeles from ESPN (710) to Fox Sports (570).

ESPN keeps hemorrhaging all of their radio talent to Fox Sports. If Fox Sports can only get rid of Papadakis, then we might never have to flip through stations!

Colin to join Fox Sports radio on September 8: LINK
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:51 pm    Post subject:

FINALLY

WHAT IS IT 25....
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:34 pm    Post subject:

Big Game James wrote:
ESPN has really suffered a huge loss with both of their radio talents leaving. Allowing conditions to get to the point where Dan Patrick quits and then the knee jerk reaction to Colin Cowherd's comment, has really shifted the weight of sports talk radio in Los Angeles from ESPN (710) to Fox Sports (570).

ESPN keeps hemorrhaging all of their radio talent to Fox Sports. If Fox Sports can only get rid of Papadakis, then we might never have to flip through stations!

Colin to join Fox Sports radio on September 8: LINK

That dude has got to have an inside connection because I can't see how you could do radio with a whiny, annoying voice like that. Then to top it off they put his ugly face on NBC after the football games? He's definately got some pictures of a media exec in some compromising positions hiding somewhere that he's using for ransom!
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:24 am    Post subject:

He won't be missed, I rarely herd/saw him, however I did not like his delivery or him.
cinimod
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:28 am    Post subject:

I started listening to The Herd years ago after getting frustrated one morning with DP for talking too much pop culture. I think he was off on some Britney Spears/Lady Gaga/Christina Aguilera tangent and stayed there for the better part of my morning commute.

I won't be listening to Cowherd too much given the 9-12 time slot - I'd welcome a swap between him and Patrick but that will never happen I'm sure.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:40 pm    Post subject:

I always flipped back and forth between The Herd and DP, but don't even bother with AM710 in the morning now. The guy on there now puts me to sleep.
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:04 pm    Post subject:

cinimod wrote:

I won't be listening to Cowherd too much given the 9-12 time slot - I'd welcome a swap between him and Patrick but that will never happen I'm sure.

As long as someone replaces that snoozefest known as LA Today with Leann Tweeden and Bill Reiter I'll probably give Cowherd a listen. Right now it's an adhd amalgamation of Trudell/Thompson, Rome, KNX traffic reports, Fm radio, and 405 commute sounds.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:09 pm    Post subject:

I can't think of a single instance or sport where i thought, "gee, Cowherd has an interesting or valuable insight here that I couldn't get in any sports bar from at least 2/3 of the people in it"
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:30 pm    Post subject:

Laker_Town wrote:

Makes sense now. So if he's going to fox sports does that mean he comes before or after Dan Patrick's show?

His time slot follows Dan Patrick's show. Cowherd's debut this morning wasn't bad, I managed to listen for a segment before I tuned into something else. Troy Aikman had some interesting takes, but as soon as Colin embedded a commercial read during the interview it was time to move on. Talk about awkward.

Back to radio dial surfing during the commute. Too bad the LA Today show is still around in a new time slot, fortunately there are some alternatives at the noon hour.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: