Official 2015 NBA Summer League Game Discussion Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 359, 360, 361

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:47 pm    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
What's annoying about watching the other summer league teams play is that you realize the Lakers had so much more talent on the floor than most of everyone else but just couldn't put it together for even one game.

Even when they stopped running the counter-productive Princeton sets, they still got so much of the little stuff wrong, like being out of position to stop transition baskets, not boxing out, setting bad screens, not moving the ball quickly, and especially not playing defense without fouling.

Here is a link to the New Orleans Summer League roster:

New Orleans Summer League

The coach is Darren Erman who is probably more noted for coaching defense than offense.

Darren Erman now 10-0 as head coach in summer league

Quote:
Of the 23 NBA teams participating in Vegas, New Orleans is the lone squad with no players who’ve previously appeared in a regular season game for the same franchise. Unlike many clubs, the Pelicans also do not have a recent draftee; they’ve already faced and won games against 2015 first-rounders Rashad Vaughn (Milwaukee), Justin Anderson (Dallas) and Rondae Hollis-Jefferson (Brooklyn)
PayasoLoco
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:04 am    Post subject:

I'm glad we had a crap sl. The guys saw their weaknesses and I fully believe we will see a whole different dlo and randle. Nance was a terrible pick tho 2nd round talent
Fastbreak32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:17 am    Post subject:

cKPayasoLoco wrote:
I'm glad we had a crap sl. The guys saw their weaknesses and I fully believe we will see a whole different dlo and randle. Nance was a terrible pick tho 2nd round talent

I agree. Perhaps it would have gotten to our players' heads if they just rolled through summer league. Hopefully they continue to work on their game. Man, I can't wait for preseason.

I think Nance happened because we had a lottery pick and they figured that they could roll the dice with this athleticism. If this was one of those years when we were contending and only had the 27th and 54th picks, we would have went safer. But who knows, maybe Nance can still find a niche.

"...there was a time when the Israelites were wandering in the desert and all of a sudden, bread came down from heaven,” Pelinka said. “That’s kind of what today feels like for us to have KCP join.”
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:30 am    Post subject:

Fastbreak32 wrote:
cKPayasoLoco wrote:

I agree. Perhaps it would have gotten to our players' heads if they just rolled through summer league. Hopefully they continue to work on their game. Man, I can't wait for preseason.

I think Nance happened because we had a lottery pick and they figured that they could roll the dice with this athleticism. If this was one of those years when we were contending and only had the 27th and 54th picks, we would have went safer. But who knows, maybe Nance can still find a niche.

Nance is a reliable jump shot away from being a rotation player in this league. He is an NBA talent. Don't sleep on him.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
Fastbreak32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:31 am    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
Fastbreak32 wrote:
cKPayasoLoco wrote:

Nance is a reliable jump shot away from being a rotation player in this league. He is an NBA talent. Don't sleep on him.

And there's the niche. I hope he does get that reliable jump shot.

"...there was a time when the Israelites were wandering in the desert and all of a sudden, bread came down from heaven,” Pelinka said. “That’s kind of what today feels like for us to have KCP join.”
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:09 am    Post subject:

Fastbreak32 wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
Fastbreak32 wrote:
cKPayasoLoco wrote:

And there's the niche. I hope he does get that reliable jump shot.

Hopefully he'll get to work on his jumper in the D-league & improve enough to where he can get a little PT with the Lakers. His athleticism and hustle are intangibles that you just can't coach. Eventually he could become a valuable player for us. I hope so.
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:31 am    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
Fastbreak32 wrote:
cKPayasoLoco wrote:

There are a lot of players on the island of misfit draft picks that are a reliable jump shot away.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:45 pm    Post subject:

Vegas Summer League First, Second Teams Announced

Quote:
1st team: Samsung All-NBA Summer League 2015 Summer League First Team;

San Antonio Spurs Kyle Anderson MVP, Seth Curry (New Orleans Pelicans), Doug McDermott (Chicago Bulls), Norman Powell (Toronto Raptors), and T.J. Warren (Phoenix Suns).

Samsung All-NBA Summer League 2015 Second Team.

Larry Drew II (New Orleans Pelicans), Emmanuel Mudiay (Denver Nuggets), Dwight Powell (Dallas Mavericks), Noah Vonleh (Portland Trailblazers) and Alan Williams (Houston Rockets)

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/vegas-summer-league-first-second-teams-announced/
Fastbreak32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:52 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:

Quote:

San Antonio Spurs Kyle Anderson MVP, Seth Curry (New Orleans Pelicans), Doug McDermott (Chicago Bulls), Norman Powell (Toronto Raptors), and T.J. Warren (Phoenix Suns).

Larry Drew II (New Orleans Pelicans), Emmanuel Mudiay (Denver Nuggets), Dwight Powell (Dallas Mavericks), Noah Vonleh (Portland Trailblazers) and Alan Williams (Houston Rockets)

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/vegas-summer-league-first-second-teams-announced/

But where are the top 5 picks? Panic!

DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:06 pm    Post subject:

Glad to see Norman Powell making some impact. Enjoyed watching him this year. I think he had one of the sicker plays off the dribble to split a double team this season.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:12 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:

Quote:

This list says everything about the importance of summer league, or lack thereof. Some of these guys have good futures, yes - Mudiay, Vonleh, McDermott and Warren are candidates. A few of these guys may not even make an NBA roster - Williams, Curry, Norman Powell and Drew are all just camp invites right now. The best bet though is that most of these guys get limited minutes on the end of an NBA bench, now and for the foreseeable future - see Anderson, Dwight Powell and one or two of the camp invites.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:19 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:

Quote:

Kyle Anderson -- #30 (2014)
Seth Curry -- Undrafted (2013)
Doug McDermott - #11 (2014)
Norman Powell -- #46 (2015)
T.J. Warren -- #14 (2014)

Larry Drew II -- Undrafted (2013)
Emmanuel Mudiay -- #7 (2015)
Dwight Powell -- #45 (2014)
Noah Vonleh -- #9 (2014)
Alan Williams -- Undrafted (2015)
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:21 pm    Post subject:

Kyle Anderson MVP? Oh my goodness! Trade Russell for him!

Although I wouldn't mind trading Anthony Brown for him.
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:27 pm    Post subject: SL first time watched Lakers in 2 years

I tried to watch the tank but it was too painful. Even turned on the Clippers for at least they weren't getting slaughtered. But I hate the Clippers and could not watch them at all.

SL finally gave some hope for the Lakers. They did not deliver big time but did offer hope.

The Lakers have a chance of being competitive unlike the previous years. A lot depends on the health of Kobe and the development of the young talent.
And a lot on the incoming vets especially Hibbert. If he can be the defensive
force the Lakers should be a low level playoff team.

The Lakers front office must realize that if they do not offer a decent product the fans will not come or go to another team. Nobody likes constantly loosing.
They cannot be arrogant like before. You know the mistakes.
Observer10
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: SL first time watched Lakers in 2 years

laker50 wrote:
I tried to watch the tank but it was too painful. Even turned on the Clippers for at least they weren't getting slaughtered. But I hate the Clippers and could not watch them at all.

SL finally gave some hope for the Lakers. They did not deliver big time but did offer hope.

The Lakers have a chance of being competitive unlike the previous years. A lot depends on the health of Kobe and the development of the young talent.
And a lot on the incoming vets especially Hibbert. If he can be the defensive
force the Lakers should be a low level playoff team.

The Lakers front office must realize that if they do not offer a decent product the fans will not come or go to another team. Nobody likes constantly loosing.
They cannot be arrogant like before. You know the mistakes.

Regarding the front office. Nothing gets their attention more than empty seats. They really need to put a winning product on the floor each night or there will be some serious issues in Laker land.

I sort of feel that if free agents don't want to come in and join this team the fans will follow in suit and find other things to do. The clock is ticking and all of the mistakes are coming home to roost now. I think the Lakers were looking at a quick fix but that's not happening. Now I think they are hoping for this team to be competitive. Well, time will tell.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:43 pm    Post subject:

Just finished watching Game 1 of Summer league for the first time.

Randle was atrocious on the defensive boards. Disgusting to watch.

Russell had good and bad moments. Needs to realize every pass doesn't have to be a no-look, and he got lost on defensive rotations a couple times. But I liked his patience offensively. Didn't press or force things.

Clarkson balled out. Definitely our best young player. Not even close. He had better success than Russell at the point guard spot, but he's a score-first guy and DLo isn't. It would be ideal if Russell can bridge the gap in terms of effectiveness as the primary ball handler since he is more of a past first-PG.

Also I'm starting to think DLo is more Conley than Curry. But it was only 1 game.

Will post again whenever I watch game 2 of summer league.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:44 pm    Post subject:

Hey, can you give us a sneak preview on last year's season of game of thrones too?
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:56 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
Hey, can you give us a sneak preview on last year's season of game of thrones too?

I would, but no spoilers!
mirak
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:35 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
24 wrote:

Already spoiled for me. Freaking internet.
Kava
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:04 pm    Post subject:

mirak wrote:
kikanga wrote:
24 wrote:

Already spoiled for me. Freaking internet.

Everybody dies!
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:13 am    Post subject:

Oubre flashed a lot more in SL than people expected.. played a bit better than even his fans hoped for ; not shooting wise but skill set wise. His length even stood out on offense finishing at KU , and his touch too; and in SL it realllly showed - even his missed layups were close, dude elevates and is long. Lots of flip shots, serious touch.
Much better than advertised off the dribble, like I guessed he'd be but we'll see if this continues.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:05 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fuUAYzgMq0 Oubre flashed a lot more in SL than people expected.. played a bit better than even his fans hoped for ; not shooting wise but skill set wise. His length even stood out on offense finishing at KU , and his touch too; and in SL it realllly showed - even his missed layups were close, dude elevates and is long. Lots of flip shots, serious touch.
Much better than advertised off the dribble, like I guessed he'd be but we'll see if this continues.

I haven't watched this video yet, though I had seen some highlights of one of his good summer league games a while back. I noticed the skill set watching some of the high school all star games (might have been McDonald's). That's why I continue to put a lot of stock into those contests, even if they're just exhibition games. The college game is restrictive in a lot of ways, and for some more than others depending on the coach and circumstances.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:50 pm    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fuUAYzgMq0 Oubre flashed a lot more in SL than people expected.. played a bit better than even his fans hoped for ; not shooting wise but skill set wise. His length even stood out on offense finishing at KU , and his touch too; and in SL it realllly showed - even his missed layups were close, dude elevates and is long. Lots of flip shots, serious touch.

I haven't watched this video yet, though I had seen some highlights of one of his good summer league games a while back. I noticed the skill set watching some of the high school all star games (might have been McDonald's). That's why I continue to put a lot of stock into those contests, even if they're just exhibition games. The college game is restrictive in a lot of ways, and for some more than others depending on the coach and circumstances.

Oh ya I'm definetely a believer in that theory. Def a good reason to why to value the all star games. Summer league for these top picks is another All Star-like environment, way more green light and opportunities to make plays than they'll have in the regular season their rookie year -- for most of the guys, that is - Someone like Oubre is going to be restricted by his coach and the winning situation his rookie year. I'm not confident I'll see most of the skillset he showed in SL. I don't like this course of development, I prefer to give rooks minutes and the green light and let them learn.
Just on the Lakers the past two years I've seen skillsets develop that way, Clarkson thrived the utmost , but Xavier Henry and Bazemore both showed and refined skillsets that they weren't known to have. Bazemore then went to a winning team with less minutes and no green light, his skillset shrunk, in large part due to his role. Wish he could have kept his rate of development with us.

/development rant
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:18 am    Post subject:

WOW Kyle Anderson ditched his slow mo-ness. well by about 10-15%. dope. noticeable.

Devin Booker showed more in his arsenal than advertised. Some very nice hesitation moves off the dribble. Started SL 0-8 from 3 as I thought he would(showing inefficient strength getting the ball there), but then he started to catch fire from 3. First from the corners, then cocking the ball back a little more for deep 3s and he was good. Looks good athletically too. Looks like a mid range assassin, soon to be a 3pt assassin too // Off the dribble potential, good athlete. very good prospect, I was wrong.

Norman Powell, lots of good flashes in SL.

Quite a few players showing more in their tool bag than what was expected coming out of college. Good to see. Not sure they'll keep it up, but always good to see - possibility its something to build on. guarantee if someone like Norman Powell had a tournament with those flashes before the draft, his stock would have been higher, so I think SL holds some type of value. Powell's both measurements and athleticism are nuts, these SL skill flashes make him look like a borderline 1st rounder IMO. Powell could be a better slashing Tony Allen type..
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Game Updates All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 359, 360, 361
Page 361 of 361
Jump to: