Lakers in the News 7/20/15: The Kobe Bryant Conundrum: NBA Salary Cap Can Be No-Win for Aging Superstars

 
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 11 Apr 2001
Posts: 12389
Location: Riverside Rescue

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:14 pm    Post subject: Lakers in the News 7/20/15: The Kobe Bryant Conundrum: NBA Salary Cap Can Be No-Win for Aging Superstars

D'Angelo Russell's amazing passing and more observations from Las Vegas Summer League
by Drew Garrison - silverscreenandroll.com

Summer League is like strapping into a roller coaster blindfolded and hoping for the best. Watching a young prospect like D'Angelo Russell do exactly what he's projected to do in scouting reports is a rush, but the reality of how far these kids have to go is a reminder that gets pounded into your head every other possession.

Covering Los Angeles Lakers games from the Thomas and Mack Center became challenging not because of the often-frustrating basketball product groups of undrafted players put together, though. It was Wi-Fi struggles that left me slamming my laptop closed and relying on an old friend: Handwritten notes.

Here are a few observations on Russell I made through the week on-paper that never made it elsewhere.

http://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2015/7/19/9000687/la-lakers-dangelo-russell-news-summer-league


Last edited by lakersfreak on Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 11 Apr 2001
Posts: 12389
Location: Riverside Rescue

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:15 pm    Post subject:

Lakers' Russell and T-Wolves' Towns on summer league experience
by Michael Bohlin - 247sports.com

While their respective team's had since been eliminated from tournament play, Minnesota Timberwolves rookie Karl-Anthony Towns and Los Angeles Lakers rookie D'Angelo Russell took in some Samsung NBA Summer League action together over the weekend.

With the No. 1 and No. 2 overall pick from this year's draft in the house, NBA TV's Dennis Scott sat down with both players in order to get their thoughts on their experience in Las Vegas.

http://247sports.com/Bolt/Lakers-Russell-and-T-Wolves-Towns-on-summer-league-experience-38279807
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 11 Apr 2001
Posts: 12389
Location: Riverside Rescue

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:17 pm    Post subject:

L.A. Was ‘Determined Trade Bidder’ For Ty Lawson
by Ryan Ward - lakersnation.com

The Los Angeles Lakers were among the teams interested in trading for veteran point guard Ty Lawson. The Houston Rockets ultimately were able to acquire Lawson on Sunday, but the Lakers definitely made a hard push to get a deal done.

According to ESPN’s Marc Stein, the Lakers simply didn’t provide a better trade package then the Rockets were offering:

http://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-news-l-a-was-determined-trade-bidder-for-ty-lawson/2015/07/19/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
a2j1m
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 06 May 2013
Posts: 2856

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:37 pm    Post subject:

Push hard ? As in " hey we got Nick Young, Ryan Kelly, and Robert Sacre?" Lol
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
MJST
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 9120

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:41 pm    Post subject:

a2j1m wrote:
Push hard ? As in " hey we got Nick Young, Ryan Kelly, and Robert Sacre?" Lol


Rockets gave up Kostas Papanikolaou, Pablo Prigioni, Joey Dorsey, Nick Johnson and a protected first. And Prigioni is likely to be waived by the Nuggets, so....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Al13
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 15 Jan 2006
Posts: 1660
Location: Berlin, Germany

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:26 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
a2j1m wrote:
Push hard ? As in " hey we got Nick Young, Ryan Kelly, and Robert Sacre?" Lol


Rockets gave up Kostas Papanikolaou, Pablo Prigioni, Joey Dorsey, Nick Johnson and a protected first. And Prigioni is likely to be waived by the Nuggets, so....


so basically they gave up garbage
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 11 Apr 2001
Posts: 12389
Location: Riverside Rescue

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:39 am    Post subject:

Los Angeles Lakers' Gamble on Robert Upshaw Is Poised to Pay off
by David Murphy - bleacherreport.com

He’s a 7-foot shot-blocking intimidator who has left burned bridges in his wake, but Robert Upshaw is a gamble with a big upside for the Los Angeles Lakers.

One of the premier defenders in the college ranks, Upshaw slid right off the wrong end of the draft board in June. But Los Angeles invited him to Las Vegas Summer League, followed by a report from ESPN’s Baxter Holmes that the big man would soon be signing a two-year unguaranteed contract with the team.

Upshaw played limited minutes in Vegas, averaging just 1.4 points, 2.2 rebounds and 0.8 blocks per game. There were moments when he dominated opposing big men, but there were other instances in which he seemed obviously out of condition.

His journey to the NBA has been neither smooth nor consistent, and there have been far too many gaps and interruptions.

But when he’s right, this giant basketball prospect is a beast.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2525915-los-angeles-lakers-gamble-on-robert-upshaw-is-poised-to-pay-off
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 11 Apr 2001
Posts: 12389
Location: Riverside Rescue

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:51 am    Post subject:

The Kobe Bryant Conundrum: NBA Salary Cap Can Be No-Win for Aging Superstars
by Kelly Scaletta - bleacherreport.com

The NBA has a soft cap, and that produces something I call the “Kobe Bryant Conundrum” or KBC. That’s what happens when a team’s two inherent goals come into conflict.

NBA franchises are first and foremost teams, with a goal of winning games and ultimately championships. However, they are also businesses, the objective of which is to make money.

Everything is fine when both of those things align. For example, having LeBron James on your team right now is a boon to both winning and profiting.

That's not always the case, though. The KBC is what occurs when a player’s tenure and accomplishments with a franchise are so vast that his financial value outweighs his competitive value. When that happens, either he takes less money or the team he plays for takes fewer wins.

The 2015 offseason presented four examples of the KBC:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2526524-the-kobe-bryant-conundrum-nba-salary-cap-can-be-no-win-for-aging-superstars
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
MIMLaker
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 18 Jul 2001
Posts: 9257
Location: Los Angeles/ Alhambra, CA

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:49 am    Post subject:

lakersfreak wrote:
L.A. Was ‘Determined Trade Bidder’ For Ty Lawson
by Ryan Ward - lakersnation.com

The Los Angeles Lakers were among the teams interested in trading for veteran point guard Ty Lawson. The Houston Rockets ultimately were able to acquire Lawson on Sunday, but the Lakers definitely made a hard push to get a deal done.

According to ESPN’s Marc Stein, the Lakers simply didn’t provide a better trade package then the Rockets were offering:

http://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-news-l-a-was-determined-trade-bidder-for-ty-lawson/2015/07/19/


Moral of the story: You can't build a team with cap space alone. You need ASSETS.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 02 Jul 2001
Posts: 2276

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:03 pm    Post subject:

MIMLaker wrote:
lakersfreak wrote:
L.A. Was ‘Determined Trade Bidder’ For Ty Lawson
by Ryan Ward - lakersnation.com

The Los Angeles Lakers were among the teams interested in trading for veteran point guard Ty Lawson. The Houston Rockets ultimately were able to acquire Lawson on Sunday, but the Lakers definitely made a hard push to get a deal done.

According to ESPN’s Marc Stein, the Lakers simply didn’t provide a better trade package then the Rockets were offering:

http://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-news-l-a-was-determined-trade-bidder-for-ty-lawson/2015/07/19/


Moral of the story: You can't build a team with cap space alone. You need ASSETS.


From the article:

Quote:
The Lakers may have also been reluctant to give up Jordan Clarkson in a proposed trade for Lawson. Although Lawson would’ve been a considerable backcourt upgrade, the Lakers brass not wanting to sacrifice the future to bring in a troubled veteran is a good sign moving forward.


I fully support not trading Clarkson for Lawson.
_________________
Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. --Mark Twain

The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine.--Abraham Lincoln
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Posts: 4653

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:49 am    Post subject:

Annihilator wrote:
MIMLaker wrote:
lakersfreak wrote:
L.A. Was ‘Determined Trade Bidder’ For Ty Lawson
by Ryan Ward - lakersnation.com

The Los Angeles Lakers were among the teams interested in trading for veteran point guard Ty Lawson. The Houston Rockets ultimately were able to acquire Lawson on Sunday, but the Lakers definitely made a hard push to get a deal done.

According to ESPN’s Marc Stein, the Lakers simply didn’t provide a better trade package then the Rockets were offering:

http://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-news-l-a-was-determined-trade-bidder-for-ty-lawson/2015/07/19/


Moral of the story: You can't build a team with cap space alone. You need ASSETS.
From the article:
Quote:
The Lakers may have also been reluctant to give up Jordan Clarkson in a proposed trade for Lawson. Although Lawson would’ve been a considerable backcourt upgrade, the Lakers brass not wanting to sacrifice the future to bring in a troubled veteran is a good sign moving forward.
I fully support not trading Clarkson for Lawson.
If Clarkson was included in the proposed trade, Mitch made the right move.

Dynamic, but undersized PG would be like having two Lou Williams on the roster.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2010 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB