Jerry West says Warriors front office “the most healthy environment I’ve been involved with”
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:35 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
LAKERSCMXCIX wrote:

well according to the presses... there is undermining in the front office, constant bickering and lately high turnover.... if you find that good than that's your Opinion

I am not sure what they has to do with the scouting department, but things have to settle themselves out, the sooner the better. I have been trying to remember the last good pick by Lester's scouting department, I guess it would be Bynum who was a solid pick. But I think the game was passing them by and the new blood has been on fire in the draft.

Im not hating on the scouting given the circumstances... since Bynum we did the best we could given the low picks and the traded draft picks...Before Bynum the lakers could have picked Milisap instead of Farmar.. but it all worked out in the end...

Russel is the first real test of the scouting department since Lester... I hope the lakers FO are as confident as you that this kid will be the next face of the franchise...
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:37 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:
I'm there's some truth to that, but then everything is rosey after you win a title.

But evidently not when you have won 5 in 15 years.

Evidently not, he's obviously comparing his current stint with the stints in LA and Memphis. Not the same success in Memphis and perhaps there was alot of politiking and pressure in LA (maybe self imposed). From what I've read he lived and died with the lakers, that's a lot of pressure.
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:07 am    Post subject:

Goldenwest wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:
I'm there's some truth to that, but then everything is rosey after you win a title.

Evidently not, he's obviously comparing his current stint with the stints in LA and Memphis. Not the same success in Memphis and perhaps there was alot of politiking and pressure in LA (maybe self imposed). From what I've read he lived and died with the lakers, that's a lot of pressure.

I don't imagine there are too many family-run businesses where dealing with heirs isn't a problem. The owner, the self-made man, is usually fine. It's his entitled bratty kids who can't be fired that make for a challenging work environment.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:12 am    Post subject:

LAKERSCMXCIX wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
LAKERSCMXCIX wrote:

well according to the presses... there is undermining in the front office, constant bickering and lately high turnover.... if you find that good than that's your Opinion

I am not sure what they has to do with the scouting department, but things have to settle themselves out, the sooner the better. I have been trying to remember the last good pick by Lester's scouting department, I guess it would be Bynum who was a solid pick. But I think the game was passing them by and the new blood has been on fire in the draft.

Im not hating on the scouting given the circumstances... since Bynum we did the best we could given the low picks and the traded draft picks...Before Bynum the lakers could have picked Milisap instead of Farmar.. but it all worked out in the end...

Russel is the first real test of the scouting department since Lester... I hope the lakers FO are as confident as you that this kid will be the next face of the franchise...

I have never said that I expect him to be the face of the franchise, just the best choice available when it was the Lakers turn to draft.
FlyingSpur
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:16 am    Post subject:

When you win everything looks beautiful but when you lose "?!!!
kaoss128
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:24 am    Post subject:

Of course it feels the healthiest when you're not involved every single day.
ReaListik
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:39 am    Post subject:

Not surprising at all. The Buss family has always been TMZ/Jerry Springer material and Phil Jackson played a big role in West leaving by fighting with him on many occasions.
DB8
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:40 am    Post subject:

I've always wondered why Jerry Buss let Jerry West go while keeping Mitch or did Jerry West leave on his own accord?

I strongly believe that the Buss children with all their drama and lack of maturity is destroying the Laker brand.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:43 am    Post subject:

DB8 wrote:
I've always wondered why Jerry Buss let Jerry West go while keeping Mitch or did Jerry West leave on his own accord?

I strongly believe that the Buss children with all their drama and lack of maturity is destroying the Laker brand.

Did Phil drive him out?
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:01 pm    Post subject:

The Lakers have always been the epitome of the Hollywood life. Intense scrutiny and larger than life personalities. Egos bigger than Everest. Gambling. Drama. Fun, intense, and fast paced, but probably not that healthy.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:38 pm    Post subject:

DB8 wrote:

West left on his own with health issues.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:57 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
LAKERSCMXCIX wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
LAKERSCMXCIX wrote:

I have never said that I expect him to be the face of the franchise, just the best choice available when it was the Lakers turn to draft.

wait a minute.... he is the best choice? or the most logical choice? How are you rating Russell over Okafor? is it possible that the FO made the most logical choice of picking a guard knowing the plethora of free agent big men that were available in the free agency? Just admit that they put all their eggs in one basket in trying to acquire a big man in free agency and failed miserably

Last edited by 999 on Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:01 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
DB8 wrote:

he left on his own with health issues to join memphis?

were they short term health issues?
67ShelbyGT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:21 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
DB8 wrote:

Yeah keep telling yourself that
LakersFanESS
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:53 pm    Post subject:

West left because he didn't feel appreciated. Right now, he has the best of both worlds. He does not have the daily grind of a GM role but everyone always talks about his magic touch with the organization. He gets credit for the resume he built with the Lakers without putting himself out there for the Warriors. If they do poorly, well Jerry West wasn't really running things so it's not his fault. If they do well, then it was West's magic touch.

That is as healthy as it gets...no responsability and yet much of the credit. Nice retirement gig..
Cap's Elbow
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:33 pm    Post subject:

67ShelbyGT wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
DB8 wrote:

Yeah keep telling yourself that

It's partially true. Jerry West suffers from depression. To him the Grizzlies was a less stressful job since they had never won before and there was no expectations. He quit the Grizzlies when he felt that they stopped listening to him.
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:50 pm    Post subject:

Didn't he threaten to quit just last year over the proposed Thompson Love trade?
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:53 pm    Post subject:

LakersFanESS wrote:
West left because he didn't feel appreciated. Right now, he has the best of both worlds. He does not have the daily grind of a GM role but everyone always talks about his magic touch with the organization. He gets credit for the resume he built with the Lakers without putting himself out there for the Warriors. If they do poorly, well Jerry West wasn't really running things so it's not his fault. If they do well, then it was West's magic touch.

That is as healthy as it gets...no responsability and yet much of the credit. Nice retirement gig..

Best take on the situation.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:48 am    Post subject:

hoopschick29 wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:

I don't imagine there are too many family-run businesses where dealing with heirs isn't a problem. The owner, the self-made man, is usually fine. It's his entitled bratty kids who can't be fired that make for a challenging work environment.

Jerry left the Lakers in 2002, right after our threepeat. Back then Jeanie and Jim didn't seem like much of a presence in the organization, so I doubt Jerry's issues with the organization are related to them. By all accounts, his issues were with Phil and not being compensated enough.

Long before most fans even knew the name Jim Buss, the Lakers were always a highly political, back-sniping organization.
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:41 pm    Post subject:

LAKERSCMXCIX wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
LAKERSCMXCIX wrote:
from the LIN thread I found this....this is terrible

Quote:
Here's the prescription for Jim and Jeanie: Take a deep breath. Squash your beefs. Hire a top basketball mind to make the expert decisions, rehire the scouting staff that Jim unceremoniously dumped when he took over, and give the organization a real chance to reclaim its former glory.

I find your hate toward the Lakers from a supposed Laker fan baffling, but sometimes whiners have to do what they do. What is terrible is your inability to understand how successful the Laker scouting department has been the past 3-4 seasons. Totally pathetic effort on your part. But that is what we have come to expect.

whats your problem? I never blamed the scouting department Im actually excited with the squad we have given the circumstances I have supported Jim Buss and Kupchak since they took over the team except when it came to hiring coaches. sure sometimes I dive into the HAte jim buss meme that goes on with LG but that is all in good fun.

I happen to post the little piece of how Jim Buss fired the entire scouting department the same department that gave the Lakers so much success over 25 years... I thought that was terrible..... didn't he do the same thing with our strength and conditioning coaches as well?....

maybe it's a reading comprehension with you...I dunno

ive noticed in all your whoring posts is that when someone disagrees with your logic you become an ass.

in the end, we are still supporting the same franchise.
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:03 pm    Post subject:

Eh, let Jerry enjoy himself. His team just won a championship so he's entitled to gloat a little. Given some of his depression issues in the past, it's good to know that he's having some fun. I don't think this is a jab at us, Jerry is a Laker at heart regardless. I wish he was still apart of the team like everybody else, but as much as I liked him, I LOVED Chick and he's not here either. It's just a new day for the Lakers and we have to accept it. The Glory Days could be over for awhile, but at least I have my memories, and nobody can take that away!
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:35 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
hoopschick29 wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:

Jerry left the Lakers in 2002, right after our threepeat. Back then Jeanie and Jim didn't seem like much of a presence in the organization, so I doubt Jerry's issues with the organization are related to them. By all accounts, his issues were with Phil and not being compensated enough.

Long before most fans even knew the name Jim Buss, the Lakers were always a highly political, back-sniping organization.

West actually left in 2000. The bratty heirs have been more of a struggle for Mitch than with West. But you are right, his issues were more with his lack of compensation, Phil's overcompensation, Phil banging the owner's daughter, and Phil trying to bogard his way into personell decisions via banging the owner's daughter.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:36 pm    Post subject:

LAKERSCMXCIX wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
LAKERSCMXCIX wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
LAKERSCMXCIX wrote:

wait a minute.... he is the best choice? or the most logical choice? How are you rating Russell over Okafor? is it possible that the FO made the most logical choice of picking a guard knowing the plethora of free agent big men that were available in the free agency? Just admit that they put all their eggs in one basket in trying to acquire a big man in free agency and failed miserably

Is it possible they made the best choice which also happens to be the logical choice?

It's not like they reached to get dlo. He was a consensus top 3 pick. Who knows who will pan out to be better right now but DLo does seem to have the better mindset.
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:57 am    Post subject:

I don't begrudge Jerry an ounce of happiness, if he's actually found it. Good for him.

It must be a wonderful situation at GS, as I had the feeling that he had been fairly satisfied as a Laker GM with Jerry Buss for many years.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: