rewatched Klay's 37 pts in one quarter record: even more impressive than before.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:06 pm    Post subject: rewatched Klay's 37 pts in one quarter record: even more impressive than before.

I rewatched the Klay Thompson record 37 in one quarter (the 3rd). It is even more impressive the second time around. A lot of really interesting things:

He doesn't really start the barrage until about 6 minutes left in the quarter!! It's kind of nuts. He might have had 7 or 10 points before that, so he score about 27 points in 6 minutes. That's Kobe-esque, it's not even Jordan-esque. And I think he still scored about 7 of them in the last minute. And I don't think there were any free throws except maybe the last two points!! Not only that, but the whole quarter, he didn't even miss (I'm not exactly sure on that one, but I think it's true)!!!!!

And you know what about those free throws? That was an intentional foul at the end of the quarter....and Klay tossed up a 3 after the foul hoping for continuation and it went in!! That could have very easily counted.

The whole thing is just very very incredible. I honestly have not said that for anyone other than Kobe and a few singular performances here and there for anyone. This was a god-mode Kobe like performance for one quarter. This is not like one of those Lebron performance coming with 25 free throws, the refs in his pocket type of 40-point game. This was hands in his face, not even dribbling, hardly even aiming, quick release 27 foot shots. Very very very impressive stuff.

This raises so many questions about the potential of this kid. He doesn't yet have the history of being the unstoppable force as the main guy yet, but the performance was truly legit, I can't really question whether he can't repeat this again. Didn't seem like a fluke to me, and NO help from the refs, and very difficult shots. Imagine if he got some ref love and some time as the main guy.

I was pissed during the Finals when the refs kept calling those BS fouls on him and getting him out early in almost every game. They just didn't give him a chance to go off, a couple of times he got close, and the refs tagged him with calls. Go back and see....a couple of times he was about to go off like this performance.

Anyway, very impressed...I'm very excited to see him any game now....he might just blow up and become the new Kobe 3.0 or something. He kind of lacks a little giftedness in athleticism/physique...he's not as strong as MJ and not as long and agile as Kobe. So that midrange dunk game does not seem to offer the same potential as his long range shooting ability. He's just around the same height and weight of both...but just less impressive physically than either. Like, MJ may have the most artistically gifted proportions of any superstar player, Kobe is very gifted in utilitarian proportions...Thompson looks very average. This includes the way they move. So take that for whatever.

I'm trying to think the other times, other than Kobe, where I've seen this. Only thing I can think of is Arenas during that season where he was just making game winners a lot, and he hits that one famous one where he cockily turns his back and walks off like Bird in the 3 point contest. I thought that was very Kobe/MJ stuff. Lilliard's coward destroyer is there.
onepinoyboy8
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:31 pm    Post subject:

Wasn't impressive at all in the Finals when Iman Shumpert shut him down
Nnamdi21
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:00 pm    Post subject:

he's okay. if the warriors want to continue contending, they need a better 2nd option player next to curry. Unreliable in the playoffs always.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:03 pm    Post subject:

He's really a 3rd option kind of guy. But I still like him, and wish he could have been a Laker.
Lowest Merion
Retired

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:47 pm    Post subject:

His performance was just as impressive as it was when it happened or last month or last week. You must simply have not been paying attention when it happened. I'm floored.
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:26 pm    Post subject:

I like Klay. I wish he played for us.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:38 pm    Post subject:

kray28_ wrote:

In the starting backcourt with Russell? Assuming Russell plays to his potential, Klay would average a better stat line than in GS.

Clarkson and Williams would be solid off the bench...
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:14 pm    Post subject:

Goldenwest wrote:
kray28_ wrote:

In the starting backcourt with Russell? Assuming Russell plays to his potential, Klay would average a better stat line than in GS.

Clarkson and Williams would be solid off the bench...

that's pretty crazy...russell, kobe, klay, williams, clarkson.
MIZ83
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:50 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed, you are correct. He didn't miss a shot from the field or from the line: 13 for 13 FG, 9 for 9 from 3, 2 for 2 from FT. 32 points came in the last 7:15 seconds of the quarter. I watched the game live on League Pass, and it was so electric during the final 2 to 3 minutes of the quarter as the players, fans, and announcers began to realize that this was not just some fun hot streak, but an historic one.
24KaratGold
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:07 pm    Post subject:

Let me start of by saying that it was incredible. However, what makes Klay very different from Kobe is that many of Klay's shots are after he comes off of screens with either no or just a couple dribbles before shooting.

Take this as a good or bad thing, but Klay does not get the ball in isolation situations where he is asked to create for himself and his teammates. He tends to catch the ball on the move with his defender out of position due to a couple off-ball screens.
MIZ83
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:38 pm    Post subject:

24KaratGold wrote:
Let me start of by saying that it was incredible. However, what makes Klay very different from Kobe is that many of Klay's shots are after he comes off of screens with either no or just a couple dribbles before shooting.

Take this as a good or bad thing, but Klay does not get the ball in isolation situations where he is asked to create for himself and his teammates. He tends to catch the ball on the move with his defender out of position due to a couple off-ball screens.

I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but Klay did it and Kobe didn't. You'll just have to live with that.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:14 pm    Post subject:

MIZ83 wrote:
24KaratGold wrote:

I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but Klay did it and Kobe didn't. You'll just have to live with that.

bubble? What he/she said is a true statement. Klay plays off of screens, so does Curry. That is a major part of the Warriors' offense. Kobe doesn't play off of screens much.

For this specific performance, Klay was just red hot. I'll have to rewatch it to see how many screens he got, I'm pretty sure he got a healthy dose. It's still very amazing in the sense that he didn't miss...not even crazy long shots.

This one quarter might be more impressive than any single quarter from Kobe, however, Kobe has several quarters that come close enough to this that prevents any reasonable person from concluding that this somehow makes Klay better than Kobe. At this point, I very much doubt that Klay can do things like this consistently as the primary guy like Kobe, or even without the screen system. Remember, on this team, his is the second option, and Curry is considered to be better than him even at the same thing that he does. So for example, when people compare Kobe and Lebron, it's weird because they have different strengths. In this case, Curry is considered just literally a better version of Klay. So that reduces the pressure on Klay and it makes it a different situation than a Kobe, who is getting the primary attention from the defense.

Kobe is better than Klay at this point of what information we have. But, this performance is incredible and unmatched in several ways like the point total and the fact that he doesn't miss and that they are crazy long distance shots. there shouldn't be any burst bubbles, it's just a one time incident for now.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:51 am    Post subject:

onepinoyboy8 wrote:
Wasn't impressive at all in the Finals when Iman Shumpert shut him down

So you think he scored 37 points in a quarter in the Finals? You are wrong. Or lack the ability to read a thread title and understand what is being discussed. I am going with the latter.
24KaratGold
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:09 pm    Post subject:

MIZ83 wrote:
24KaratGold wrote:

Did you not read my very first sentence where I said it was incredible? My point was that they score in different ways.
MIZ83
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:56 pm    Post subject:

24KaratGold wrote:
MIZ83 wrote:
24KaratGold wrote:

Did you not read my very first sentence where I said it was incredible? My point was that they score in different ways.

I just found it incredible that a guy goes off and has the most amazing scoring outburst in a single quarter in history and rather than his performance being appreciated on its own merits, you turned it into a discussion of Kobe being different and better than Klay. No one said otherwise. What a weird compulsion.
24KaratGold
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:24 pm    Post subject:

MIZ83 wrote:
24KaratGold wrote:
MIZ83 wrote:
24KaratGold wrote:

I just found it incredible that a guy goes off and has the most amazing scoring outburst in a single quarter in history and rather than his performance being appreciated on its own merits, you turned it into a discussion of Kobe being different and better than Klay. No one said otherwise. What a weird compulsion.

Hm well now I'm wondering if you read the entirety of the original post, where Klay's achievement is viewed in context of some of Kobe's accomplishment. Maybe that was what began the Klay-Kobe discussion.

And once again, not once did I say that the way Kobe scores is better than Klay's method. Just said it was different.

But since you keep making assumptions about my thoughts, I'll lay out what I've been hinting at this whole time: Kobe scores more than Klay, but Klay scores at a much more efficient rate. Is one better than the other? No, because Kobe needs to shot more as the primary scoring option and Klay needs to take smart shots on a team with more offensive weapons.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:32 pm    Post subject:

MIZ83 wrote:
24KaratGold wrote:
MIZ83 wrote:
24KaratGold wrote:

nah, you just overreacted was all
carlosLisboa
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:34 am    Post subject:

MIZ83 wrote:
24KaratGold wrote:
MIZ83 wrote:
24KaratGold wrote:

You should know better.
At LG everything goes by Kobe metrics.
All that moves must be compared to Kobe. In god forbids the scale tiling to the other side, sacrilege.
This even as we could be talking about peanuts when compared to Kobe's achievements, but sometimes a "no lose ends" policy is applied.

No one is even daring to compare Klay to Kobe. He had his 12 twelve minutes of glory and won a title as second option on offense, and third best player on this team in the finals. Leave at that. Kobe's 81 are untouchable, and he has four more titles to go.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
MIZ83
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:23 pm    Post subject:

carlosLisboa wrote:
MIZ83 wrote:
24KaratGold wrote:
MIZ83 wrote:
24KaratGold wrote:

You should know better.
All that moves must be compared to Kobe. In god forbids the scale tiling to the other side, sacrilege.
This even as we could be talking about peanuts when compared to Kobe's achievements, but sometimes a "no lose ends" policy is applied.

No one is even daring to compare Klay to Kobe. He had his 12 twelve minutes of glory and won a title as second option on offense, and third best player on this team in the finals. Leave at that. Kobe's 81 are untouchable, and he has four more titles to go.

That pretty much nailed it.
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:44 am    Post subject:

Klay is a machine, a young gun, I can see him going off anytime. He was stopped by the refs in the playoffs for sure. 37 points in one quarter is remarkable, period.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:54 am    Post subject:

MIZ83 wrote:
carlosLisboa wrote:
MIZ83 wrote:
24KaratGold wrote:
MIZ83 wrote:
24KaratGold wrote:

You should know better.

um...I started the thread and I did actually compare him to Kobe. I sort of agree with the point you are making, but in defense of these posters I started the Kobe vs Klay in the first post, lol! Kobe has a career worth of this kind of stuff, that's why i said it's a kobe-like moment for klay. It's not like i'm saying klay is better than kobe overall or something. this one quarter is very impressive and stands up well next to any individual quarters of kobe.
MIZ83
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:27 am    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
MIZ83 wrote:
carlosLisboa wrote:
MIZ83 wrote:
24KaratGold wrote:
MIZ83 wrote:
24KaratGold wrote:

You should know better.

um...I started the thread and I did actually compare him to Kobe. I sort of agree with the point you are making, but in defense of these posters I started the Kobe vs Klay in the first post, lol! Kobe has a career worth of this kind of stuff, that's why i said it's a kobe-like moment for klay. It's not like i'm saying klay is better than kobe overall or something. this one quarter is very impressive and stands up well next to any individual quarters of kobe.

I repent in dust and ashes.
16_and_Counting
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:36 pm    Post subject:

What's scary is the Warriors easily won a championship without Klay doing much.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:59 pm    Post subject:

Nnamdi21 wrote:
he's okay. if the warriors want to continue contending, they need a better 2nd option player next to curry. Unreliable in the playoffs always.

So with just a small playoff sample size, at 25 years old, he's stamped unreliable? Jerry West would text you.. LOL.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:01 pm    Post subject:

16_and_Counting wrote:
What's scary is the Warriors easily won a championship without Klay doing much.

Yep. Imagine when he does go off.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: