Volt: 1972 All Star Game; bizarre stuff

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:12 pm    Post subject: Volt: 1972 All Star Game; bizarre stuff

So weird, check this out. 1972 All Star game.
Kareem and Wilt on the same team.
Jerry West gets the MVP, he scored 13 points. So West got the MVP with Wilt and Kareem on the same team. That's funny already. But 13 points?? It's because he hit the game winner...pretty casually, I might add.

oh how times have changed.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Volt: 1972 All Star Game; bizarre stuff

SuperboyReformed wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXN0pbV5MJg

So weird, check this out. 1972 All Star game.
Kareem and Wilt on the same team.
Jerry West gets the MVP, he scored 13 points. So West got the MVP with Wilt and Kareem on the same team. That's funny already. But 13 points?? It's because he hit the game winner...pretty casually, I might add.

oh how times have changed.

-- In those days, the Bucks were an western conference team. (switched to the east in the 1980s). As a result, Kareem and Wilt were on a few all-star teams together during Wilt's Laker years.

-- West's 13 points led the winning West team (tied with Connie Hawkins). In the early 70s, coaches tended to play the starters and subs the same amount, about 24 minutes, apiece so you had a few years where the MVP scored less than 20. West did win because he hit the winning shot (and the game was in Los Angeles). But he also had the best stat line of anyone on the winning team so it wasn't the last shot alone.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Volt: 1972 All Star Game; bizarre stuff

activeverb wrote:

-- In those days, the Bucks were an western conference team. (switched to the east in the 1980s). As a result, Kareem and Wilt were on a few all-star teams together during Wilt's Laker years.

Tru. 71 Bucks team that won the title beat the Baltimore/DC Bullets in the Finals. Bucks were still in the West in 1980. We coulda played them in the playoffs that year, but no McDyess. Conversely, HOU was an Eastern team for God knows why. The Bird Celtics actually did play them in the 80 playoffs as an Eastern team. The next year, HOU switched over to the West and played Boston in the Finals. One of the Jerry West Laker teams did play Chicago and Milwaukee in the 70s as Western matchups, as I'm sure you know (bro).
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Volt: 1972 All Star Game; bizarre stuff

non-player zealot wrote:
activeverb wrote:

Tru. 71 Bucks team that won the title beat the Baltimore/DC Bullets in the Finals. Bucks were still in the West in 1980. We coulda played them in the playoffs that year, but no McDyess. Conversely, HOU was an Eastern team for God knows why. The Bird Celtics actually did play them in the 80 playoffs as an Eastern team. The next year, HOU switched over to the West and played Boston in the Finals. One of the Jerry West Laker teams did play Chicago and Milwaukee in the 70s as Western matchups, as I'm sure you know (bro).

this whole post made me laugh. nba gerrymandering. lol! I'm stealing your mcdeyss thing.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Volt: 1972 All Star Game; bizarre stuff

SuperboyReformed wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
activeverb wrote:

this whole post made me laugh. nba gerrymandering. lol! I'm stealing your mcdeyss thing.

The worst ever was Miami as a Western team in their 1st season. We played them 4x. Do I have the first franchise matchups between the Lakers and Minny, Orlando, Miami, and Charlotte, you ask? Of course, homie. How could you ask me such a question?

Minny:

Miami:

dantheman9758
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:05 pm    Post subject:

Here's Wilt and Kareem's highlights:

They never were out at the same time so there was no double-pivot of Chamberlain and Jabbar a-la when Wilt and Russell used to double-pivot in the 1960's all-star games (must have been insane interior defense in those games). Too bad because Wilt and Jabbar sharing the floor would have been interesting to see in my opinion but they split the center position minutes and also had to share some time with Bob Lanier. Wilt came off the bench behind Kareem but ended up playing the most minutes at 24 and closing out the game due to his superior defense, Kareem played 19 and scored the most points among the bigs, and rookie Bob Lanier played 5.

SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Volt: 1972 All Star Game; bizarre stuff

non-player zealot wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
activeverb wrote:

The worst ever was Miami as a Western team in their 1st season. We played them 4x. Do I have the first franchise matchups between the Lakers and Minny, Orlando, Miami, and Charlotte, you ask? Of course, homie. How could you ask me such a question?

Minny:

Miami:

lolol dude you are seriously cracking me up, good stuff. good to see these posts at the end of stressful days.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:41 pm    Post subject:

Anyone else catch the comment on there that said that West was averaging just under 10 steals per game at the all star break?
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:54 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
Anyone else catch the comment on there that said that West was averaging just under 10 steals per game at the all star break?

dang that's crazy. crazy times. West is a real gangster. He could never beat the Celtics and only won one ring. Then, as a Laker executive, he never allowed the Celtics to win again (we'll ignore 2008 and the few 80s rings) and instead turned the Lakers into a 30 year domination franchise. That is some major vindictive karma.
Vic5150
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:31 pm    Post subject:

Love the sound of the ball hitting those stiff ass rims.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: