Small forward
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:57 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
There is a significant difference in Young's performance starting vs off the bench. I would start A Brown even if you still want to keep his minutes down at the beginning. Give Young his best chance of success.

My thinking was to space the floor if he starts playing defense

I dont think its good to have russell, lou, young and randle
Coming off bench
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:08 pm    Post subject: I think Jim has the best beginning lineup

Jim wrote:
Quote:

i would like to start:

Hibbert
Bass
N Young
Kobe
Clarkson

Bench: Russell, Lou, a brown, randle, upshaw/black

This lineup offers the most experience and variety. You could plug Randle for Bass and Russell for Clarkson and Clarkson to SG as they gain valuable experience. But starting three rookies will only ruin their confidence and they
are just too green starting together right now.

Lou will anchor the second team but don't think ABrown is ready to play a significant role. Would go with JBrown there.
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:05 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Mike Bresnahan ‏@Mike_Bresnahan 17s18 seconds ago
Laker trainer Gary Vitti talked to Kobe about moving to small forward to make room for the backcourt kids. "I can do that," Kobe said.

there u go.
RusselDoeee01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:27 am    Post subject:

Kobe could play any position really. sF won't be a big Change for him
lukewaltonsdad
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:37 am    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:
Quote:
Laker trainer Gary Vitti talked to Kobe about moving to small forward to make room for the backcourt kids. "I can do that," Kobe said.

there u go.

I wouldn't have expected Kobe to say anything other than that; he loves the 'challenge.' The reality is he's going to be 37, coming of 3 consecutive season ending injuries and Vitti himself said that he and Kobe will have to 'feel out' how Kobe will proceed with this upcoming season.

Automatically, he'll probably sit out all B2B's; there's about 15-20 for the season. So, he's already at 60-62 games by default. He'll probably sit out another 10-12 games with injuries/ailments. I have him penciled in at 48-52 games.

So, who's going to play 3 on those other occasions? Young/Brown/Jabari? I'd feel much better going after a legit 3 who could give us 14-15 mpg; I'm hoping that's on Mitch's radar...
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:40 am    Post subject:

lukewaltonsdad wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:
Quote:

there u go.

I wouldn't have expected Kobe to say anything other than that; he loves the 'challenge.' The reality is he's going to be 37, coming of 3 consecutive season ending injuries and Vitti himself said that he and Kobe will have to 'feel out' how Kobe will proceed with this upcoming season.

Automatically, he'll probably sit out all B2B's; there's about 15-20 for the season. So, he's already at 60-62 games by default. He'll probably sit out another 10-12 games with injuries/ailments. I have him penciled in at 48-52 games.

So, who's going to play 3 on those other occasions? Young/Brown/Jabari? I'd feel much better going after a legit 3 who could give us 14-15 mpg; I'm hoping that's on Mitch's radar...

with lou williams on bench, n young can start and give those mins.

if you dont want n young, we have another guy A Brown who can give 14/15mins per game.

with 2.8m and vet contracts left u r not going to get a legit 3. maybe someone like d wright but thats about it
lukewaltonsdad
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:49 am    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:
lukewaltonsdad wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:
Quote:

there u go.

with lou williams on bench, n young can start and give those mins.

if you dont want n young, we have another guy A Brown who can give 14/15mins per game.

with 2.8m and vet contracts left u r not going to get a legit 3. maybe someone like d wright but thats about it

Agreed. I have no problem giving Brown minutes to develop and splitting them with Young. Sadly, I just don't expect much out of Kobe this upcoming year...
LakersForever123
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:36 pm    Post subject:

My guess is the Lakers will give Xavier Henry a training camp invite- and a chance to make the Lakers Team, if he is healthy. Xavier Henry can play the small forward position and is only 24 yrs old.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:43 pm    Post subject:

LakersForever123 wrote:
My guess is the Lakers will give Xavier Henry a training camp invite- and a chance to make the Lakers Team, if he is healthy. Xavier Henry can play the small forward position and is only 24 yrs old.

I'd be down with that. I remember after the team cut him they requested the league still let him use their facilities. Maybe he's still an option if he's recovered completely. Has anyone heard anything about him?
madd_game08
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:46 am    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
LakersForever123 wrote:

I'd be down with that. I remember after the team cut him they requested the league still let him use their facilities. Maybe he's still an option if he's recovered completely. Has anyone heard anything about him?

did anyone here that the knicks just signed sasha?

idk what the machine has left in the tank... but he definitely fits a need with this team. a real SF, a pesky defender, a shooter... (again, i know I'm probably being reminiscent more then realistic... but would have been willing to give him a shot...)
madd_game08
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:50 am    Post subject:

madd_game08 wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
LakersForever123 wrote:

idk what the machine has left in the tank... but he definitely fits a need with this team. a real SF, a pesky defender, a shooter... (again, i know I'm probably being reminiscent more then realistic... but would have been willing to give him a shot...)

btw i was a huge fan of xeus henry. (side note-- i have a custom lakers cap from daily-doses.com and me and xavier have the only 2 in existence...)

but he is 6'5" at best, and injury prone. doubt we see him again
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:58 am    Post subject:

madd_game08 wrote:
madd_game08 wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
LakersForever123 wrote:

btw i was a huge fan of xeus henry. (side note-- i have a custom lakers cap from daily-doses.com and me and xavier have the only 2 in existence...)

but he is 6'5" at best, and injury prone. doubt we see him again

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Xavier-Henry-1324/ he's actually 6'6-6'7 , well, 6'7 if he's wearing the same 1.75" shoes as Clarkson and Russell wore for measurements (smart move). And X is long.
I doubt we bring him in tho because he is so injury prone. He never looked the same after his mcl injury with us, and then the achilles. Although, Pierre Jackson for the 76ers tore his achilles last year, and has youtube videos of himself doing crazy dunks now. Maybe it heals better for a younger guy than an oldie like Kobe.
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:38 am    Post subject: Nick Young can be a valuable player this season

For he is the only player who has experience at the SF position. Young has the size to play that position. His defense will probably tell the story.

Kobe can play it, be it will be his first time. And he will need rest also.

None of the other youngsters are ready though have the talent.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:50 am    Post subject:

Kobe actually started at SF during his 3rd season. I remember him schooling Pippen in his first game with Houston. He continued to start at SF until the Eddie Jones-Glen Rice trade.
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:53 pm    Post subject:

It's easily the club's area of greatest positional need, a big athletic wing who defends. Maybe Mbah a Moute.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:01 pm    Post subject:

gng930 wrote:
Kobe actually started at SF during his 3rd season. I remember him schooling Pippen in his first game with Houston. He continued to start at SF until the Eddie Jones-Glen Rice trade.

Yeah, I remember Fox crying about it.
All_Star_Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:29 pm    Post subject:

Nick Young

Clarkson / Kobe / Young / Bass / Hibbert

Let's make the rooks earn their spot by challenging them to take it from the vets. It's not good to just hand them the keys to the castle. Even Kobe had to EARN every second of playing time and these new kids are not Kobe.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Nick Young can be a valuable player this season

laker50 wrote:
For he is the only player who has experience at the SF position. Young has the size to play that position. His defense will probably tell the story.

Kobe can play it, be it will be his first time. And he will need rest also.

None of the other youngsters are ready though have the talent.

Why does everyone think Kobe never played SF? In the triangle on offense he played mostly the SF role, which even had Lamar playing PG in the offense. He routinely switched to SF in games as well such as when Fish, Sasha & Kobe were on the floor together and it is the logical move given his age (Jordan did the same). Especially in today's game that has gone small. Other than Lebron (when he isn't playing PF), Carmelo (when he isn't playing PF) and Durant, not sure there are any matchup issues and Kobe has guarded all three at one point in his career.
fontana3d
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:54 pm    Post subject:

All_Star_Laker wrote:
Nick Young

Let's make the rooks earn their spot by challenging them to take it from the vets. It's not good to just hand them the keys to the castle. Even Kobe had to EARN every second of playing time and these new kids are not Kobe.

Big mistake because Nick Young is awful as a starter and you will see that again very soon.
All_Star_Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:05 pm    Post subject:

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/238936/Clippers-Waive-Jordan-Hamilton

do it mitch!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:05 pm    Post subject:

fontana3d wrote:
All_Star_Laker wrote:
Nick Young

Big mistake because Nick Young is awful as a starter and you will see that again very soon.

Nick Young is fine - He's not good enough to carry the team on offense, but he's good enough to start and play his role.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Small forward

Lakerz113 wrote:
Right now I assume kobe will start at the 3, young will come off the bench, and brown will be next. My question is on nights kobe doesn't play who do you think starts ? Also do we have anyone else on the roster that can play sf?

Who ever is 1st off the bench after Kobe will start when Kobe can't presumably.

Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers ...
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:15 am    Post subject:

All_Star_Laker wrote:
fontana3d wrote:
All_Star_Laker wrote:
Nick Young

Nick Young is fine - He's not good enough to carry the team on offense, but he's good enough to start and play his role.
I agree with Scott when he says, "Let the Competition Begin!"

Swaggy P has not earn the right to start. If Swaggy is not producing on offense, he has not earn the right to get major PT. His ISOs / Black Hole sequences does nothing except turn the ball over.
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:35 am    Post subject: Team play is key also

Hopefully Kobe will play the facilitator role. This will prolong his health and be better for the team. He doesn't need to take 30 shots a game anymore.

With a team full of ISO players like Kobe, Young, Williams, Clarkson the Lakers are the opposite of the Spurs and GSW who have tremendous ball and player movement. This seems to be the way of the new NBA. Team play with ball movement and team defense.

But if the Lakers keep changing players and coaches each year they will never develop a team concept.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:12 am    Post subject:

I'm hoping Swaggy has a bounceback year. Lord knows we could use him at the SF spot.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: