2015 Angels Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:04 am    Post subject:

15 wrote:
we need to trade shoemaker for a bat. he had a great game tonight so hopefully his trade stock is high. need a spot for weaver to come back in and i think shoemaker will be the one to go

It's not high, but you might be able to get a veteran bat for him. Not a star, but maybe a guy like Marlon Byrd from the Reds. Byrd is 37 and is signed through next season, so maybe the Reds, who are about to rebuild, would prefer to control Shoemaker for another 4 seasons than having 1+ years of an aging vet who isn't going to be around when they are contenders again. With the way Cron has come around, I think the Angels are going to focus their main attention on acquiring an outfielder that can play LF.
LakerFan87
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:05 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Even though DiPoto lost the power struggle with Scioscia--that was never going to end well for him--he should be commended for acquiring good, young, controllable starting pitching. After the 2013 season, things were looking pretty bleak. Because of Moreno's massive contracts to Pujols and Hamilton, the Angels weren't really in position to go after the big-ticket starting pitchers, so it was a legitimate question as to where the pitching was going to come from. Then DiPoto traded the power-hitting Mark Trumbo for Hector Santiago and Tyler Skaggs, and many Angel fans were incredulous. Trumbo, though, was one-dimensional, and it's no surprise to me that his career has stalled. Meanwhile, Santiago has been fantastic since his demotion to the minors last season, and Skaggs, though out this season, showed a lot of promise and should be a long-term fixture in the rotation. Then last winter, he traded the last year of Howie Kendrick (a very good player, but a guy they almost certainly weren't going to retain in free agency) for 6 controllable years of Andrew Heaney, who looks really good. Richards obviously has emerged as the ace, though he was already on the roster when DiPoto arrived, but going forward, the Angels will have young arms Richards, Santiago, Heaney, and Skaggs in their rotation. Three of those four are under 25 and have power arms.

And in December of last year, 9 days after the Kendrick trade, DiPoto traded an insignificant minor league pitcher (Brian Broderick) for Johnny Giavotella, who had been DFA'd by the Royals. I'm not saying Giovatella is awesome, but he's held down the fort pretty reasonably. Another nice under-the-radar move from DiPoto.

He traded the horrible-hitting Peter Bourjos for David Freese in November 2013, and while Freese isn't a great player, that's a win for the Angels. They got a starting third baseman for the guy who is now the Cardinals' fifth outfielder when everyone is healthy.

The Matt Joyce/Kevin Jepsen trade hasn't worked out, but you can't win 'em all. I didn't list all of his transactions, obviously, but I feel like he did a pretty good job overall.

Jerry Dipoto was a very good GM. I felt like he was a rising star in the business. He did his best to instill a philosophy that combined traditional scouting with analytics. He started building an analytics department with some good people (Scott Servais in particular). The Angels were finally getting out of the stone ages.

The problem with this organization is Arte Moreno. He is resting on the laurels of lowering beer prices when he first bought the team. To be fair, he turned the Angels into a big market team and he deserves credit for that. But over the last few years, he has turned into Al Davis. He thinks he knows baseball but he doesn't. Instead of letting the baseball people do their job, he meddles and makes extremely emotional, knee-jerk decisions. The Pujols and Hamilton signings were all his doing. Even going back to the Reagins era, Moreno was pouting because he didn't sign Crawford or Beltre when they were on the market, so he ordered Reagins to pull the trigger on that horrific Wells for Napoli trade. That trade was a disaster to begin with, even before Wells showed that he was no longer a useful player and was the new LF version of Jeff Mathis.

And that last point segues into the other problem with this organization.

Mike Scioscia.

Scioscia hated Napoli because he has a very narrow mindset and is stuck in his ways. He loved Mathis because of the perception he was an elite defender (which he wasn't) and was playing him in a 50/50 time share with Napoli even though Napoli was lightyears ahead of Mathis offensively and at worst, slightly worse defensively.

It is this stubborn attitude that led to the power struggle with Dipoto. Dipoto, unlike Reagins, had the balls to fight back. Of course, he lost. And you're absolutely right....he was never going to win. Mike Scioscia is Arte's prodigal son and thus has Arte's blind loyalty. Arte has enabled Scioscia to do whatever he wants to the point where he is essentially 2nd in command within the organization. We're the only organization in baseball where the manager has more power than the GM. That being said, it was completely reasonable for Dipoto to want to get the hell out. Whoever the next GM is will essentially be a figurehead. I wouldn't be surprised if they hired Bud Black because he is one of Scioscia's BFF's and will do his bidding without resistance. It's all a moot point anyways, because no good GM will even want this job.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:09 am    Post subject:

LakerFan87 wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Even though DiPoto lost the power struggle with Scioscia--that was never going to end well for him--he should be commended for acquiring good, young, controllable starting pitching. After the 2013 season, things were looking pretty bleak. Because of Moreno's massive contracts to Pujols and Hamilton, the Angels weren't really in position to go after the big-ticket starting pitchers, so it was a legitimate question as to where the pitching was going to come from. Then DiPoto traded the power-hitting Mark Trumbo for Hector Santiago and Tyler Skaggs, and many Angel fans were incredulous. Trumbo, though, was one-dimensional, and it's no surprise to me that his career has stalled. Meanwhile, Santiago has been fantastic since his demotion to the minors last season, and Skaggs, though out this season, showed a lot of promise and should be a long-term fixture in the rotation. Then last winter, he traded the last year of Howie Kendrick (a very good player, but a guy they almost certainly weren't going to retain in free agency) for 6 controllable years of Andrew Heaney, who looks really good. Richards obviously has emerged as the ace, though he was already on the roster when DiPoto arrived, but going forward, the Angels will have young arms Richards, Santiago, Heaney, and Skaggs in their rotation. Three of those four are under 25 and have power arms.

And in December of last year, 9 days after the Kendrick trade, DiPoto traded an insignificant minor league pitcher (Brian Broderick) for Johnny Giavotella, who had been DFA'd by the Royals. I'm not saying Giovatella is awesome, but he's held down the fort pretty reasonably. Another nice under-the-radar move from DiPoto.

He traded the horrible-hitting Peter Bourjos for David Freese in November 2013, and while Freese isn't a great player, that's a win for the Angels. They got a starting third baseman for the guy who is now the Cardinals' fifth outfielder when everyone is healthy.

The Matt Joyce/Kevin Jepsen trade hasn't worked out, but you can't win 'em all. I didn't list all of his transactions, obviously, but I feel like he did a pretty good job overall.

Jerry Dipoto was a very good GM. I felt like he was a rising star in the business. He did his best to instill a philosophy that combined traditional scouting with analytics. He started building an analytics department with some good people (Scott Servais in particular). The Angels were finally getting out of the stone ages.

The problem with this organization is Arte Moreno. He is resting on the laurels of lowering beer prices when he first bought the team. To be fair, he turned the Angels into a big market team and he deserves credit for that. But over the last few years, he has turned into Al Davis. He thinks he knows baseball but he doesn't. Instead of letting the baseball people do their job, he meddles and makes extremely emotional, knee-jerk decisions. The Pujols and Hamilton signings were all his doing. Even going back to the Reagins era, Moreno was pouting because he didn't sign Crawford or Beltre when they were on the market, so he ordered Reagins to pull the trigger on that horrific Wells for Napoli trade. That trade was a disaster to begin with, even before Wells showed that he was no longer a useful player and was the new LF version of Jeff Mathis.

Mike Scioscia.

Scioscia hated Napoli because he has a very narrow mindset and is stuck in his ways. He loved Mathis because of the perception he was an elite defender (which he wasn't) and was playing him in a 50/50 time share with Napoli even though Napoli was lightyears ahead of Mathis offensively and at worst, slightly worse defensively.

It is this stubborn attitude that led to the power struggle with Dipoto. Dipoto, unlike Reagins, had the balls to fight back. Of course, he lost. And you're absolutely right....he was never going to win. Mike Scioscia is Arte's prodigal son and thus has Arte's blind loyalty. Arte has enabled Scioscia to do whatever he wants to the point where he is essentially 2nd in command within the organization. We're the only organization in baseball where the manager has more power than the GM. That being said, it was completely reasonable for Dipoto to want to get the hell out. Whoever the next GM is will essentially be a figurehead. I wouldn't be surprised if they hired Bud Black because he is one of Scioscia's BFF's and will do his bidding without resistance. It's all a moot point anyways, because no good GM will even want this job.

I agree with every single word you wrote. Brilliant.
raffi
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:43 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:03 pm    Post subject:

I was at the game at Angel Stadium tonight. Even though CJ Wilson worked glacially slow, they pulled out the win. But David Freese got hit by a pitch and suffered a thumb fracture, and figures to miss at least 6 weeks. I guess they are going to call up Kyle Kubitza, but I could now see them go after a guy like Martin Prado, who could play third base until Freese gets back, and then play LF when he does.
raffi
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:22 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Initial X-rays showed a non-displaced fracture. The finger will remain in a splint for two weeks, and Freese hopes to return in three weeks.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:16 pm    Post subject:

Yep, looks like an index finger fracture and not thumb, so at least it won't be 6 weeks missed for Freese.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:02 pm    Post subject:

Mike Trout is unbelievable.

Question for people who follow the Angels regularly. Why have his steals gone down? Is it because he's slowed down? Are teams "figuring" out how he steals?
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:15 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:

Question for people who follow the Angels regularly. Why have his steals gone down? Is it because he's slowed down? Are teams "figuring" out how he steals?

I'd imagine it's for the same reason many 5 tool guys steal less as their careers progress, keeps them fresh plus avoids a greater chance of injury.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:22 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, they just don't want Trout running much. They want him healthy.
LakerFan87
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:33 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:

Mike Scioscia still thinks Albert Pujols is the greatest (bleep) in the world and doesn't want Trout running because:

1) Running "distracts" him

2) He doesn't want to risk losing a baserunner
raffi
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:56 pm    Post subject:

Victorino yesterday . . . and

Quote:
The Angels added a pair of veteran left-handed-hitting outfielders in two separate deals Tuesday, acquiring David DeJesus from the Tampa Bay Rays and David Murphy from the Cleveland Indians.

today.
raffi
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:57 pm    Post subject:

Up 4-1 in the 2nd.
raffi
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:58 pm    Post subject:

Trout out of the line-up tonight - getting an MRI on the wrist.
raffi
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:23 pm    Post subject:

Typical C.J. - what a POS.

Score 5 runs for him and he squanders it away in under four innings.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:05 pm    Post subject:

Let's see if Scioscia has the cajones to yank CJ from the rotation. This is a pennant race and there are 2 months to go and with the way Shoemaker seemed to have the downward action on his split-change back in his last start, I would roll with him until he gave me a reason not to. I just have no idea what I'm going to get out of CJ Wilson from start to start and you can't have that. And he seems to do worse the bigger the game. It's like pulling teeth watching him. You just feel like something bad is going to happen.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:36 am    Post subject:

I heard last night that Trout's MRI came up negative, but I don't see that in the news today. As an Astros fan, I really think he ought to rest that wrist for a couple more days.
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:50 am    Post subject:

Sweep! Sweep! Sweep!

Sorry just had to come by here and say that.

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
raffi
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:48 pm    Post subject:

In a matter of minutes, two walkoffs:

Angels win 5-4

Astros lose 5-4
raffi
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:04 pm    Post subject:

The last road trip was tough but wasn't altogether surprising once we dropped that first game. With Kershaw getting pushed back from his Wed start we were dropping at least 2 to the Dodgers.

We lost 5 games in the standings in a week and have now gained 3 1/2 this past week.

Weaver looked okay today; offense trying to find some consistency.

Need to try and go 4-3 on this trip.
TheRod
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:25 pm    Post subject:

2 outs, bottom of the 11th, runner in scoring position on 2nd, Trout at the plate, pujols on deck, intentional walk, intentional walk, bases loaded, walk off single by Murphy. That was insane.
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:27 pm    Post subject:

LakerFan87 wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Mike Scioscia.

Yup, absolutely correct.
TooCool
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:50 am    Post subject:

TheRod wrote:
2 outs, bottom of the 11th, runner in scoring position on 2nd, Trout at the plate, pujols on deck, intentional walk, intentional walk, bases loaded, walk off single by Murphy. That was insane.

When the other team is chicken **** against Trout and Pujols, the next guy definitely has to make them pay. Glad it worked out.
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:55 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:

The Angels got Salas too, but they gave up Randal Grichuk as well, who is the starting centerfielder for the cardinals.

He is also a candidate for rookie of the year with 286 average, 323 obp, and 569 slugging. 14 home runs and a WAR of 3.

Mike Matheny, the cardinal, hasn't played Grichuk all year, he is a rookie who can really blame him? But playing Jon Jay above Peter Bourjos is criminal, since Bourjos is better in every way. Jay is injured now, or else he might even be starting over Grichuk!

Matheny is really lauded too, like Scoscia, but he plays favorites for god knows why. Maybe former catchers have really weird hangups on players.

The cardinals really liked Freese, but they wanted to free up 3b for matt carpenter so they could bring Kolten Wong up to start at 2b. Freese is still really beloved in St Louis, and is/was seen as a potential batting title winner by this coaching staff. He is a very clutch hitter, and hopefully you guys see that in the playoffs.
raffi
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:13 am    Post subject:

Didn't really expect to beat Sale last night, but we need to start getting some road wins.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5
Jump to: