Kobe Final Season - I'm excited and sad
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:22 pm    Post subject:

Excited but not sad. I saw Kareem leave, Magic leave, Shaq leave. No reason to be sad, just enjoy what they have all done for me as a fan.
Jackobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:59 pm    Post subject:

There is only sadness for me if this is Kobe's final season.....

why can't there be youth fountain or time machine....
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:28 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
I loved Kobe that year. He carried that dysfunctional squad into the playoffs. It might not have been his most efficient year, but that was pretty amazing.

It was the first season I felt annoyed at him.

Don't get me wrong, it was a good individual year. But if he gets credit for figuring out how to win with this team, then he gets the blame for leading what should have been a contender, to 7 games below .500

If you could have the Kobe of any season from 2003-2013, wouldn't 2012-2013 be one of the least likely seasons that you'd pick?

Depends on what angle you are taking. That season, when expectations were sky high, the team was vastly underperforming and Kobe took that squad to the playoffs with a 28-12 (or was it 28-14) end of season. Of course the Achilles injury has made this season mythical, but I still appreciated what he did that year.

Or it was just a matter of the team figuring out how to play together. His numbers were big time, no doubt. But I just didn't like how he or we got there. One thing I think Kobe has always had unfairly held against is that he doesn't make players around him better. In most seasons, there has always been a player who was able to elevate their game because of Kobe.

That year, that wasn't possible because from my seat, there was too much hero ball going on. It's not a coincedence that that was the first season I had ever felt like "ehhh, I don't like what I'm seeing" and the numbers tell you he had an atypically high percentage of unassisted made field goals. The last time he took that many unassisted shots was 2004-2005 when he first learned how to play as "the man".

In any event, my hope is he accepts a backup role going forward as that would be a great veteran hand to have around for the youngsters.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:13 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Excited but not sad. I saw Kareem leave, Magic leave, Shaq leave. No reason to be sad, just enjoy what they have all done for me as a fan.

Exactly.

That really is the best way to look at it.

The Lakers have enjoyed so many great players. Our top 5 of all time is arguably better than the non-Laker top 5 of all time.

I would put for instance any of the group below against any other franchise 5 and even NBA all time 5:

C - Kareem, Shaq, Wilt, Mikan (you choose, I pick Kareem)
F - Worthy, Baylor, Gasol, Wilkes, Hairston, Pollard, Mikkelsen
G - Magic, Kobe, West, Goodrich, Van Exel, Cooper, Scott

I am sure I am missing guys also. For instance, Robert Horry, Rick Fox, Ced Ceballos among others.
tolivendiewithLA
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:26 pm    Post subject:

In the 2013 season Kobe finished 3rd in scoring, 20th in assists and 3rd in the MVP vote.

When Nash was leading the team as main facilitator the team had a .350 win percentage (actually might have been worse). After Kobe took over the main facilitator role the team won at a .650 clip and had the leagues 4th best record after the AS break.

The same season where Dwight finished 1st in the NBA in TO/touch and shot below 40% with his back to the basket.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:27 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
danzag wrote:
Ringfinger clearly doesn't remember the 2012-2013 season. Kobe played out of this world basketball and clearly carried the team to the playoffs.

That 48mpg streak was something that's never going to happen again.

I already said I remember it well. Your standards for Kobe have been substantially lowered.

He was a better basketball player in virtually every year of his prime.

Have to agree. I don't care how banged up Pau and Dwight were, with a prime Kobe that team would have won a ton of games.

On paper, most of his numbers that year ranked up there with a lot of his best seasons but his impact was just not at that peak level anymore.
ryan_c
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:32 pm    Post subject:

I think Kobe retiring or not depends on how he will play next season. If Kobe continued to play after this upcoming season, it will not be certain if it will be for the Lakers.

I don't know what others thinks, but during 2012-2013 Kobe is poetry in motion(offense). Very pleasant for the eyes. There is this certain aesthetic on the way he moves during 2012-2013.
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:35 am    Post subject:

This is how Kobe is playing before the injury, one of the best of his career (Doing it with an injury prone season from Nash to Howard to Pau). I for one believe extension was well deserve 7mil discount from his current salary. But some just don't remember that year much cause of how it ended. Kobe's injury & Howard's departure.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:02 pm    Post subject:

I'm approaching this a lot like I did with our beloved 14 year old Lab Rottweiler over her last few years. Yes, you know the end is near, and yes, she couldn't do the same things in the same way, but we treasured the memories of the younger years and enjoyed her last few years at whatever level she had.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:09 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
I'm approaching this a lot like I did with our beloved 14 year old Lab Rottweiler over her last few years.Yes, you know the end is near, and yes, she couldn't do the same things in the same way, but we treasured the memories of the younger years and enjoyed her last few years at whatever level she had.

Did your dog ever bite the hand that fed her when she was unhappy?
Did she bark alot at her mates?
Just wondering how far the metaphor extends.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:11 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
24 wrote:
I'm approaching this a lot like I did with our beloved 14 year old Lab Rottweiler over her last few years.Yes, you know the end is near, and yes, she couldn't do the same things in the same way, but we treasured the memories of the younger years and enjoyed her last few years at whatever level she had.

She actually didn't always play well with others. But we wouldn't have traded her.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:12 pm    Post subject:

DLaker wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r69bS1cBDU8

This is how Kobe is playing before the injury, one of the best of his career (Doing it with an injury prone season from Nash to Howard to Pau). I for one believe extension was well deserve 7mil discount from his current salary. But some just don't remember that year much cause of how it ended. Kobe's injury & Howard's departure.

The extension was ridiculous. Made no sense to invest $48 million in a guy who hadn't even returned after rupturing his Achilles tendon. I remember when the Lakers announced the extension -- in the middle of the season, with no particular need to rush it through -- I thought it was one of the worst management blunders ever.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:16 pm    Post subject:

I don't think this is his last season if he plays 65+ games. I think he goes 2 more and he'll take it season by season.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:42 pm    Post subject:

I think the only way he plays another season is if he suffers another season-ending injury. I think he wants to say when and not let injuries tell him when.
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:29 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
DLaker wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r69bS1cBDU8

The extension was ridiculous. Made no sense to invest $48 million in a guy who hadn't even returned after rupturing his Achilles tendon. I remember when the Lakers announced the extension -- in the middle of the season, with no particular need to rush it through -- I thought it was one of the worst management blunders ever.

Team basketball wise it was a blunder they just lost flexibility. Business wise Kobe is getting paid below his market value. Watch the salary adjust in 2016. Lebron is expected to make 30+ mil per season at age 32. Lebron is signing one year contract and does not care if gets injured cause he knows even if he gets injured their is no way the Cavs will not sign him the Max deal. Just business
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:45 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
I'm approaching this a lot like I did with our beloved 14 year old Lab Rottweiler over her last few years. Yes, you know the end is near, and yes, she couldn't do the same things in the same way, but we treasured the memories of the younger years and enjoyed her last few years at whatever level she had.

I really have enjoyed the Lakers greats that I have been privileged to watch. But my dogs from pit bulls, golden retrievers and now I Chi wa wa's hold my heart.

The Lakers of the past have been awesome, hopefully the future will give Lakers fans what we deserve more championships. I was at the Forum when we beat the Celtics, it was incredible celebrating with Lakers fans on the forum floor. We are going to need another Kobe, Magic or West to accomplish that.

Dogs and Lakers, two things that have made my life better.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:58 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
24 wrote:

She actually didn't always play well with others. But we wouldn't have traded her.

"These young pups are playing fetch. I'm playing frisbee golf."

"24 & I just need to execute on the bag-to-bowl exchange."

"Ship his tail out!"

"And I'm taking Fido with me!"

What does this 5th bone mean to you individually?

"I got one more than Rex."
WeDidItReddit
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:06 pm    Post subject:

Well, all things in life must end. The best thing we can do is cherish the time that we have, and I for one have really enjoyed watching Kobe throughout his career. I'll be a little sad knowing that he is almost at the end, but after all is said and done I'll be proud knowing that he left his own unique mark on the basketball world.
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:58 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:

Lol, I've read it all now.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:55 pm    Post subject:

Him and KG have around 1500+ games played not counting the all star games....its pretty inevitable both will retire sooner than later. If the Lakers weren't at the bottom of the rebuilding process, I think he would be fine with playing a couple more years, but this team won't be winning any NBA Finals anytime soon and by the time they do he'll be in his 40's and probably in no condition to play NBA basketball full time.
Oliver Reed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:01 pm    Post subject:

Kobe Bryant makes 25 million dollars a year, how much does your father make?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:27 am    Post subject:

Voices wrote:
24 wrote:

I really have enjoyed the Lakers greats that I have been privileged to watch. But my dogs from pit bulls, golden retrievers and now I Chi wa wa's hold my heart.

The Lakers of the past have been awesome, hopefully the future will give Lakers fans what we deserve more championships. I was at the Forum when we beat the Celtics, it was incredible celebrating with Lakers fans on the forum floor. We are going to need another Kobe, Magic or West to accomplish that.

Dogs and Lakers, two things that have made my life better.

Personally I am a cat man, but I agree with the sentiment. I have enjoyed enough success with the Lakers that I am actually looking forward to the next 3-4 seasons and the exciting anticipation of watching this team grow.
TheMarkMadsen
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:06 am    Post subject:

this won't be his last season
Krispy Kreme
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:48 am    Post subject:

im excited. he will be a top 5 player all time and along with magic/kareem/west, top 5 laker player.

but ive been getting the shaq stench from him the past 2 years. money is more important to him than winning. not a fan of that mind set.
rodg12
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:21 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
I loved Kobe that year. He carried that dysfunctional squad into the playoffs. It might not have been his most efficient year, but that was pretty amazing.

It was the first season I felt annoyed at him.

Don't get me wrong, it was a good individual year. But if he gets credit for figuring out how to win with this team, then he gets the blame for leading what should have been a contender, to 7 games below .500

If you could have the Kobe of any season from 2003-2013, wouldn't 2012-2013 be one of the least likely seasons that you'd pick?

Depends on what angle you are taking. That season, when expectations were sky high, the team was vastly underperforming and Kobe took that squad to the playoffs with a 28-12 (or was it 28-14) end of season. Of course the Achilles injury has made this season mythical, but I still appreciated what he did that year.

Or it was just a matter of the team figuring out how to play together. His numbers were big time, no doubt. But I just didn't like how he or we got there. One thing I think Kobe has always had unfairly held against is that he doesn't make players around him better. In most seasons, there has always been a player who was able to elevate their game because of Kobe.

That year, that wasn't possible because from my seat, there was too much hero ball going on. It's not a coincedence that that was the first season I had ever felt like "ehhh, I don't like what I'm seeing" and the numbers tell you he had an atypically high percentage of unassisted made field goals. The last time he took that many unassisted shots was 2004-2005 when he first learned how to play as "the man".

In any event, my hope is he accepts a backup role going forward as that would be a great veteran hand to have around for the youngsters.

Your eyes and memory deceive you.

Kobe had his highest AST% of all but the last two years in 2013. It was his 3rd most efficient shooting season. His 5th highest season in VORP. His USG rate was bascially dead even with his career rate. It can be argued pretty easily that 2012-2013 was one of Kobe's Top 5 seasons.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5
Jump to: