workout routine/diet
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Love&Peace
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:04 pm    Post subject: workout routine/diet

I usally alternate push(bench, inverted, miltary press) and pull(pully machines,curls, pullups) workouts and mix in legs(squats, dead lifts)/abs(bicycles, leglifts) every other time. 5 days a week.

Its probably not the most effective workout just wondering what everyone else is doing?

Russell. Williams
Clarkson. JBrown
Kobe. Young
Randle. Bass
Hibbert. Black

Last edited by Love&Peace on Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:44 am; edited 1 time in total
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:16 pm    Post subject:

Don't lift but run 4 miles a day(8 on weekends) then push-ups and crunches and sit-ups before bed.
Love&Peace
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:27 pm    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
Don't lift but run 4 miles a day(8 on weekends) then push-ups and crunches and sit-ups before bed.

So you're going for a strong heart and a leaner look.

I forgot to mention i run about 2 miles a week. Not really going to challenge you to a marathon anytime soon.

Russell. Williams
Clarkson. JBrown
Kobe. Young
Randle. Bass
Hibbert. Black
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:32 pm    Post subject:

Love&Peace wrote:
nickuku wrote:

So you're going for a strong heart and a leaner look.

I forgot to mention i run about 2 miles a week. Not really going to challenge you to a marathon anytime soon.

Yea. I don't like carrying all that weight around and I'm getting a little older now so its the better routine for me. Eating healthy is probably just as important if not more so but I have no willpower. In fact I just had a Slaters 50/50 burger for lunch
Love&Peace
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:05 pm    Post subject:

Ever since I read "Grassfed's" (lakers strength coach) diet plan i been trying to follow it but i just had a DQ blizzard and it waz amazing

Russell. Williams
Clarkson. JBrown
Kobe. Young
Randle. Bass
Hibbert. Black
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:20 pm    Post subject:

I've been a lot more busy lately, so I just kind of feel like you should do what you can, wherever and whenever you can. I do squats, pushups, situps, etc. Living room, bedroom, work, or wherever else. Location doesn't matter, neither does time - If it's 1 or 2 AM, and you're not too tired, just do some body weight exercises and/or calisthenics. Who cares? Regarding cardio, I do fast walking with some jogging. Not as much or often as I should, but I do my best.

I'm doing all of this with somewhat bad acid reflux, so I have to be careful with what I do sometimes, as to not aggravate my symptoms. It's also hard sometimes to find the right time, as you have to wait until after you eat, yet you can't wait too long because you might feel weak, and have other issues if you workout without enough nourishment.

On a slight tangent, I had started taking creatine a few months ago, but had to quit, because I was getting periods of intense restlessness, really fast heartbeat, and other issues.
Freddie Buckets
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:47 pm    Post subject:

Love&Peace wrote:
Ever since I read "Grassfed's" (lakers strength coach) diet plan i been trying to follow it but i just had a DQ blizzard and it waz amazing

where can i read about is diet plan?
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:57 pm    Post subject:

No sodas.
TRYING to limit the beer intake as well.
Less red meat. More fish. Steamed Chicken.
Steamed veggies. Brown rice.
Little to no sweets.
Lots of water and tea.

1.5 mile run every other day.
Multiple sets of sit-ups, push ups and simple weightlifting with 2- 15 pound dumbbells.

Getting close to 40 and I need to watch my health. And want to feel less self conscious about taking my shirt off at the beach.

Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:23 pm    Post subject:

I lost a lot of weight once I cut out sugary drinks and fast food.

I'm in my mid 30s and have bad joint pain in elbows and knees so I do a lot of light home workouts.

I keep telling everyone I know to get a stationary bike, they're great for burning calories and it helped me lose about 50 lbs.

You just have to keep pushing yourself till your body reaches a point where it actually enjoys healthy food and rejects junk food. That takes a while.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:36 pm    Post subject:

Slightly off topic, but the reason I think a lot of attempts to lose weight fail is because people get caught up in the whole three meals a day thing. It's somewhat hard to eat significantly less than 2,000 calories a day while still enjoying eating. The easiest solution is to just cut out a meal permanently and skip breakfast or dinner every now and then.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:45 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Slightly off topic, but the reason I think a lot of attempts to lose weight fail is because people get caught up in the whole three meals a day thing. It's somewhat hard to eat significantly less than 2,000 calories a day while still enjoying eating. The easiest solution is to just cut out a meal permanently and skip breakfast or dinner every now and then.

Skipping breakfast is bad. It makes you eat more in one meal later on which is bad.
Love&Peace
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:58 pm    Post subject:

Kobe2Dwight12 wrote:
Love&Peace wrote:

where can i read about is diet plan?

http://www.nba.com/lakers/news/130712grassfed_timdifrancesco

Theres a graph on the page to follow.

After read this and some other interviews its basicly eating tons of veggies and grassfed meat full of good fat and avoiding carbs and sugar. He wants the body running off fat not sugar.

Its a low sugar, low carb, high protien, high fiber, tons of fats and vitamins diet.

Russell. Williams
Clarkson. JBrown
Kobe. Young
Randle. Bass
Hibbert. Black
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:29 pm    Post subject:

https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=mvJHw64fxgQ
GoldenChild
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:29 pm    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:

Run 4 miles everyday? and 8 miles saturday and sunday? No rest days?
Raptor2k
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:29 am    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

Skipping breakfast is bad. It makes you eat more in one meal later on which is bad.

Nope.

http://news.cornell.edu/stories/2013/07/skipping-breakfast-may-be-healthy-way-shed-weight

Others with weight loss endeavors: look into intermittent fasting.
methdxman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: workout routine

Love&Peace wrote:
I usally alternate push(bench, inverted, miltary press) and pull(pully machines,curls, pullups) workouts and mix in legs(squats, dead lifts)/abs(bicycles, leglifts) every other time. 5 days a week.

Its probably not the most effective workout just wondering what everyone else is doing?

I am an avid crossfitter. I really am not into the community/cult aspect of it AT ALL, and I hate all the high fiving and circle jerking, but if you want to talk about pure all around fitness you really cannot go wrong with it. It involves gymnastics, cardio, and weightlifting (all compound lifting). It's not anything special but you can just SHOW UP and you know you will have stuff programmed for you and you will be peer pressured into busting your ass, which ensures a good workout.

Now, people argue that you can do this without joining a crossfit gym, true, but you are paying for the structure and structure is very, very important for many things in life. Try telling people to learn about physics without going to university. Possible, but difficult for the average person.

In terms of injuries, I agree that crossfit can be dangerous for some people, but as long as you are smart and (especially with the lifting and gymnastics) you take a structured approach at getting good and consistent with the movements you should be fine in the long run. Me personally, I have some nagging injuries now and then such as shoulders, knees, etc. but this is normal for any "athlete" and I say athlete because I train at least 5 times a week not because I'm something special.

I only started squatting, deadlifting, cleaning, overhead press, snatch, etc. with crossfit and I haven't gotten hurt from a single lift because I started out slow and concentrated on GOOD movements.

More importantly, crossfit has really turned me onto exercise and I am addicted now. I am addicted because it has turned me into a mental beast. When I'm dead tired I know I can keep going. Seems very simple but it really strengthens your mind immensely.

For you, I would be curious about what your fitness goals are. For me, I just want to be STRONG all-around and have a very STRONG heart. I don't really care how I look, because size and tone will mostly be a function of diet and muscular hypertrophy. My diet is just average and I don't do any glamour lifts so I don't really look all that great, but I am strong as an ox now and have crazy cardio.

From your workout routine it seems like you are going for aesthetics (no problem with that)?, but wouldn't hurt to see some more varied and compound exercises besides the squat/deadlifts to confuse your body.

In general I'm not a big fan of ab focused workouts unless you have low body fat and you can really tone up your abs to show them off, otherwise they really don't add much functional strength at all. Abs are a very tiny muscle group and you'll get a strong core from doing other stuff.

In any case, most important thing is good form, frequency, recovery and diet!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger Reply with quote
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:18 am    Post subject:

Raptor2k wrote:
nickuku wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

Nope.

http://news.cornell.edu/stories/2013/07/skipping-breakfast-may-be-healthy-way-shed-weight

This is a myth propagated by the cereal industry, among others.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
methdxman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:13 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Raptor2k wrote:
nickuku wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

Nope.

People are overthinking things. Just count calories.

People need to stop with the "what" or "when"unless you are a competitive athlete or have issues with your health. If you can count calories and also do the "what" and "when" parts diligently, by all means, do it. But most people don't have discipline for any of those nor for exercise either.

CALCULATE YOUR BMR and COUNT YOUR CALORIE CONSUMPTION!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger Reply with quote
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:03 am    Post subject:

I train martial arts and also play football (soccer) so that takes care of the cardiovascular element for me.

With regards to the weight-lifting element, I train 5 days a week (sometimes in the morning when it's the same day as evening cardio). The split is chest, back, legs, shoulders, arms.

Personally for me I like to train each muscle group separately so I can focus on each area as well as the compound movements. I'm currently training more high rep range (12-15 reps per set) and cutting the rest in between sets to under 2 mins, as football season is about to start I want to be lean and keep endurance levels up.

The diet that goes along with this is broken down into 6 meals per day (smaller than usual meals) that tend to consist of meat and vegetables, with low carbs most meals, then carbs in post workout meal, and as a boost in afternoon meal if I have martial arts or football that evening. Get this plan from my martial arts club dietician, working pretty well as I avoid processed foods mainly, just sticking to meat and a lot of veg. I drink a lot of water too, don't really drink anything except water. Have training supplements such as protein shakes, etc... also.

Working quite well for me at the moment, started the year around 210lbs, 15% bf, now down to about 190 with about 8% fat, starting to look a lot leaner.

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
cinimod
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:45 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Raptor2k wrote:
nickuku wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

Nope.

There are as many arguments against skipping breakfast as for. And that goes for any approach really. What it comes down to is which approach allows you to be strict/consistent, producing results that motivate you to remain strict/consistent for a longer duration of time.

Personally, I tried intermittent fasting and it just didn't work with my lifestyle and I got no results from it. I've always done best with counting macros and eating 6 meals daily consisting mostly of complex carbs, veggies and lean protein along with proper supplementation of vitamins, probiotics, digestive enzymes, BCAA's and whey protein.

I dropped 30 lbs in 8 weeks doing this, kept my strength and lost nothing off of my chest, shoulder and arm measurements.

My wife dropped 60 lbs in 8 months using the principles of the Glycemic Index. Women in my office have lost 40 lbs using Jenny Craig.

Find something that works for YOU.
cinimod
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: workout routine/diet

Love&Peace wrote:

As far lifting goes, I usually vary mine every 3 weeks or so. Right now I'm doing complexes - chest, shoulders, triceps, calves and hamstrings on Mon and Thurs and back, biceps, abs and calves on Tues and Fri.
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:03 am    Post subject:

GoldenChild wrote:
nickuku wrote:

Run 4 miles everyday? and 8 miles saturday and sunday? No rest days?

I'll take on average about 1-2 days off a week but its due to work/errands. If I can I'll run. I've never really felt the physical need to take days off. Maybe as I age that'll happen.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:08 am    Post subject:

I go on a 3 mile walk, eat a chorizo burrito for breakfast. Then a burger for lunch, followed by a bbq tri tip sandwich for dinner and a couple of martinis before bed. I am the picture of perfect health.
No. 17
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: workout routine

methdxman wrote:

I am an avid crossfitter.

Best exercise program I've been involved in. Never a dull moment and the results are great.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:18 pm    Post subject:

Bodybuilders will tell you 60-70% of their results come from their diet.

what kind of carbs
when
protein when
fats when
water all the time
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: