MJ: "I think he's one of the great players of the game...I absolutely have high regard for Kobe Bryant....love him like a brother."
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:41 pm    Post subject:

MJ is smoking crack about "killing" the all time Lakers. If there's a killing, it would be the Lakers front court eating Horace Grant and Rodman for lunch.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:46 pm    Post subject:

LAKERS > BULLS
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:47 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
ReaListik wrote:
The bit about "stole my moves" makes me laugh. I know he's joking around but even he must admit all greats copied something from someone. There's no such thing as originality, never has been.

To be fair to MJ, you can't find a player prior to him where you can say MJ is a clone of him. But you can say Kobe is a clone of MJ, moves, mannerisms, right down to the fist pump.

MJ copied from Dr J. I saw a discussion regarding that this weekend but don't remember where.
The Shadow King
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:00 pm    Post subject:

Whatever...
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:09 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
ReaListik wrote:
The bit about "stole my moves" makes me laugh. I know he's joking around but even he must admit all greats copied something from someone. There's no such thing as originality, never has been.

To be fair to MJ, you can't find a player prior to him where you can say MJ is a clone of him. But you can say Kobe is a clone of MJ, moves, mannerisms, right down to the fist pump.

MJ copied from Dr J. I saw a discussion regarding that this weekend but don't remember where.

I'm sure MJ studied the game and picked up moves from DR. J. But the similarities between Kobe and MJ are on a whole different level. I don't think there is ever another pair of players in the league past and present so similar in everything. I don't think there is any shame in Kobe wanting to be like his idol.

Everybody wanted a MJ on their team. It was my dream for MJ to join the Lakers. That's why we were excited for Eddie Jones. We had our own high flying two guard, but never did I imagine that Kobe would be so close to MJ. It's a good thing.
Nobody
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:50 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
ReaListik wrote:

I get the fadeaway (although I always thought MJs release was prettier), even the tongue-wagginig, but fist pump? Seriously? There were probably people fist-pumping in ancient Athens when doing sports.
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:23 pm    Post subject:

Nobody wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
ReaListik wrote:

I get the fadeaway (although I always thought MJs release was prettier), even the tongue-wagginig, but fist pump? Seriously? There were probably people fist-pumping in ancient Athens when doing sports.

to me there games are very different, watch any jordan highlight reel and watch kobe's and you see a vastly different set of moves being put on display. Not to mention even the way each of them ran though the offense off the ball and dribble the ball, they are very different.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:51 pm    Post subject:

mj's influences are on the web...for sure he often mentions david thompson, and of course dr j. but more so david T. MJ benefits from the lack of video of previous stars, as well as a lack of popularity of the NBA/media in general. so these comparisons of kobe stealing mj's moves and mj being a true authentic is just not true, and most ballers know this. nobody is doing it from scratch, everyone is building off of others moves.

people talk about elgin baylor's jump shot as being a "new" thing. so who knows who started what. even kareem's skyhook can be traced way back to mikan.

the truth is...magic and bird ushered in this nba popularity that was unprecedented before. dr j didn't have that opportunity. wilt didn't either, neither did west...all sorts of great players. mj is not more special than these guys, just lucky with his timing. same with kobe. kobe's lucky about his timing with the lakers, shaq, etc. lebron is a little bit of a forced popularity, in that he was being hyped when he still was in junior high, and it's no surprise he's not as good as any of his predecessors. lebron is the luckiest of them all...the least skilled superstar in the top 50 list.

mj give kobe major props here because he knows kobe is good, and he probably knows kobe is better than him. MJ barely EVER gives compliments to other players. even at an all star game interview, he took jabs at magic. he's never acknowledged magic as being better than him, he just says he was trying to reach his level or something. kobe is the only one he talks like this about. and he give props to david thompson too. that's about it. he made fun of pippen during pippen's reitrement. he made fun of pippen during his HoF ceremony. the guy does not give props willingly, is my point. he's not magic...magic will exuberantly compliment any star, even borderline stars he'll call amazing or whatever.

also...this idea that kobe is "very different" from MJ is silly, and I'm the biggest kobe fan there is. kobe is mj 2.0. so many similarities, to ignore it is ridiculous. same size, same body practically. same position. same moves. same coach!! same triangle...barely even one generation apart, they played a couple of years together. they even played with the same teammates!!! salley, harper. i mean, this is what you call "begging" the comparison. Mj has bigger hands, kobe has a better skillset. mj has a stronger body, kobe has a longer body.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:48 pm    Post subject:

Kobe makes tougher shots, tougher than anyone in the history of the game and that includes MJ
It's good and bad depend on how u look at it.
It lowers Kobe Effientcy,(45%vs 50%)' but it was a pleasure to watch him make those.

Regarding stealing moves, I don't think MJ invented any of his moves, since fadeaway was always there before him, but he did perfected that skill. Him and Kobe are th only two player that perfected the fadeaway.

Mpbe might have invented some moves on his own, I think his reverse spin pivot against the Knicks and the nuggets was the first time I saw someone do it. Maybe it is just too hard
Oliver Reed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:08 pm    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
Kobe makes tougher shots, tougher than anyone in the history of the game and that includes MJ
It's good and bad depend on how u look at it.
It lowers Kobe Effientcy,(45%vs 50%)' but it was a pleasure to watch him make those.

Regarding stealing moves, I don't think MJ invented any of his moves, since fadeaway was always there before him, but he did perfected that skill. Him and Kobe are th only two player that perfected the fadeaway.

Mpbe might have invented some moves on his own, I think his reverse spin pivot against the Knicks and the nuggets was the first time I saw someone do it. Maybe it is just too hard

MJ could get to his spots and have room like no one i ever saw in my life. That is the one thing Kobe could never master, hence why he was so good making tough shots. But that was the difference between 50% and 45%. With a little bit of Era different ball. 80s where MJ was shooting 54%, he was going to the hole. Didn't shoot many 3s. Also, Kobe played with Shaq for 8 years and Pau for 7, the lane being clogged most of his career and the 3 point game, created lower shot percentages.
Lakerfan 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:58 am    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
mj's influences are on the web...for sure he often mentions david thompson, and of course dr j. but more so david T. MJ benefits from the lack of video of previous stars, as well as a lack of popularity of the NBA/media in general. so these comparisons of kobe stealing mj's moves and mj being a true authentic is just not true, and most ballers know this. nobody is doing it from scratch, everyone is building off of others moves.

people talk about elgin baylor's jump shot as being a "new" thing. so who knows who started what. even kareem's skyhook can be traced way back to mikan.

the truth is...magic and bird ushered in this nba popularity that was unprecedented before. dr j didn't have that opportunity. wilt didn't either, neither did west...all sorts of great players. mj is not more special than these guys, just lucky with his timing. same with kobe. kobe's lucky about his timing with the lakers, shaq, etc. lebron is a little bit of a forced popularity, in that he was being hyped when he still was in junior high, and it's no surprise he's not as good as any of his predecessors. lebron is the luckiest of them all...the least skilled superstar in the top 50 list.

mj give kobe major props here because he knows kobe is good, and he probably knows kobe is better than him. MJ barely EVER gives compliments to other players. even at an all star game interview, he took jabs at magic. he's never acknowledged magic as being better than him, he just says he was trying to reach his level or something. kobe is the only one he talks like this about. and he give props to david thompson too. that's about it. he made fun of pippen during pippen's reitrement. he made fun of pippen during his HoF ceremony. the guy does not give props willingly, is my point. he's not magic...magic will exuberantly compliment any star, even borderline stars he'll call amazing or whatever.

also...this idea that kobe is "very different" from MJ is silly, and I'm the biggest kobe fan there is. kobe is mj 2.0. so many similarities, to ignore it is ridiculous. same size, same body practically. same position. same moves. same coach!! same triangle...barely even one generation apart, they played a couple of years together. they even played with the same teammates!!! salley, harper. i mean, this is what you call "begging" the comparison. Mj has bigger hands, kobe has a better skillset. mj has a stronger body, kobe has a longer body.

And don't forget, Mike played at the wing position in the Triangle and Kobe played at SG. Kobe always wanted to play at the wing but nobody could initiate the offense so it was double duty for Kobe play "Mike and Scottie" role.
AshesToAshes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:30 am    Post subject:

Lakerfan 4 Life wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:

And don't forget, Mike played at the wing position in the Triangle and Kobe played at SG. Kobe always wanted to play at the wing but nobody could initiate the offense so it was double duty for Kobe play "Mike and Scottie" role.

on defense especially.

also... i know kobe had shaq and pau as if he was sent gifts from heaven...

but in comparison.. pippen was the type of all around player that could have been and was considered by many as the mvp-runner up for multiple years.

So for those whom don't actually remember imagine making durant the team's best defensive player also and pairing him to kobe's career. That was "jordan and pippen".

Pippen right now could throw on some shorts and school our roster not named kobe. lol

Back on topic, that was the most complimentary and for the longest amount of time i've ever heard jordan speak of another player in that regard. No issues with the joke in the end. Kobe has admitted it since day1 he's studied all the greats.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:51 am    Post subject:

Oliver Reed wrote:
MJ could get to his spots and have room like no one i ever saw in my life. That is the one thing Kobe could never master, hence why he was so good making tough shots.

That's because the rulers changed for defenders against Kobe. MJ had it a lot easier and hence he could get those shots
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:57 am    Post subject:

Kobe "stole" Nowitski's one-legged jumper, Kareem's sky hook, Olajuwon's dreamshake, and even Duncan's bank shot.

Kobe doesn't have Jordan's ridiculous jumping ability, nor the humongous hands to palm the ball, so in that respect to say he is similar to Jordan is an acknowledgment of Kobe's determination to be the best.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:40 am    Post subject:

I'd take MJ's grudgingly acknowledge that Kobe is a mirror image of himself....beats the jab at Lebron where he says he can beat him on one.
kobetimeeverytime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:03 pm    Post subject:

AshesToAshes wrote:
Lakerfan 4 Life wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:

on defense especially.

but in comparison.. pippen was the type of all around player that could have been and was considered by many as the mvp-runner up for multiple years.

So for those whom don't actually remember imagine making durant the team's best defensive player also and pairing him to kobe's career. That was "jordan and pippen".

Pippen right now could throw on some shorts and school our roster not named kobe. lol

Back on topic, that was the most complimentary and for the longest amount of time i've ever heard jordan speak of another player in that regard. No issues with the joke in the end. Kobe has admitted it since day1 he's studied all the greats.

in what world was Pippen anywhere near Kevin Durant offensively?
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:55 pm    Post subject:

That's nothing. Harden copies from Magikarp.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:56 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Oliver Reed wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:
The most surprising thing about that whole vid was his lack of reverence for Phil. I would have expected him to say something about not being wrong either way when picking between Dean Smith and Phil or something. He was very definitive about answering and then saying Phil was lucky to have him.

That's what I was surprised with the most. Sounds like he doesn't have much fondness for Phil.

Most people don't. Phil isn't exactly a people person. Which made it hilarious that he is known as the Zen master of balancing egos.

Phil is the type to stab you in the back to make a few bucks. Dean Smith was a totally different kind of person.

I think MJ is just more sensitive about any idea, however minor, that Phil is due significant credit or his rings/success of that he couldn't have won then without him.

PJ really should have his own line of shoes or sportswear :wagtongue: :)
AshesToAshes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:14 am    Post subject:

kobetimeeverytime wrote:
AshesToAshes wrote:
Lakerfan 4 Life wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:

on defense especially.

ya totally acknowledge that but thought i typed too much already.. i mean durant's place in the league is also due to the state of the league and same with Pippen.. so it's just a general comparison. Take that next best guy in the league but pippen was all around.

technically works in jordan's favor to have a guy less offensively gifted but more defensively focused... and happy todo that.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:24 am    Post subject:

It's obvious Kobe modeled many parts of his game after Jordan but who cares? Jordan was pretty darn effective why shouldn't he be imitated?

No one has come even close to Jordan to the way Kobe has.
Lawrence Tanter
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:52 pm    Post subject:

kobetimeeverytime wrote:
AshesToAshes wrote:
Lakerfan 4 Life wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:

on defense especially.

The year MJ sat out, Pippen put up some pretty sick numbers. http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/p/pippesc01/gamelog/1994/
evetssteve10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:58 pm    Post subject:

Lakerfan 4 Life wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:

Yea it's lost on so many people that Jordan played the Jordan role while Kobe played the fascilitator/the man on offense/ and the defensive lock down defender when you had to get a stop. He wore so many Hats and yet even to this day he gets labelled things like a "ball stopper" and "selfish"

To the people who are pushing Kobe out the door just remember what it is you are losing.
"Bryant has been the second best player in the NBA for over a decade, but the number 1 player changes every other year. Somehow the number 1 player always seems to fall down the list but Kobe just never moves up. ". The Art of Hating Kobe Bryant
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: