Stanley Johnson's Mother Passes Away

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:14 am    Post subject: Stanley Johnson's Mother Passes Away

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nba/pistons/2015/08/02/stanley-johnson-confirms-loss-mother-tweet/31032169/

This is really sad man, they were very close

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2015/03/24/arizona-wildcats-stanley-johnson-sweet-16-ncaa-tournament
R.I.P
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:23 am    Post subject:

Sorry to hear. Tragically right before his pro career.

What puzzles me too is Bird's father committing suicide a year or so before he was to go pro. Bird himself said he wasn't paying attention to the Draft or pros at all. He was a FIVE year Senior in college, so it makes me wonder how much Larry and his family were even talking about the money he was gonna make at the next level. They probably didn't discuss it all that much, Larry is mercurial. Jackie MacMullen says that his dad did it for them to get his life insurance money. If that's true, what a waste. However, that's probably not the full story. It's a leap to assume he didn't at least have major depression.

At any rate, sincere condolences to Stanley. I've been thru it. It's life changing. A piece of your soul dies with her.

Here's a severe tangent, but I'm on a Sopranos bender. The scene of Tony tearing up while watching a scene of Public Enemy that reminded him of his horrible mother was meant to show how powerful that bond is even if there isn't much of one. He was up late at night watching it and he came across a scene that displayed Cagney's mother's unconditional love for her delinquent murderer son. A tear rolled down his cheek and he took a drink of scotch to numb himself. In a later episode while being reminded of his dad staying with his goomar while his mother had a miscarriage at the hospital, the memory of that night upset him and he was pissed that he was upset, so he says to Melfi, "F huh..." He would call her a "miserable KON*!" (with emphasis on the C and T) and yet he could never stop trying to please the old bag. She was still his mommy.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:09 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Sorry to hear. Tragically right before his pro career.

What puzzles me too is Bird's father committing suicide a year or so before he was to go pro. Bird himself said he wasn't paying attention to the Draft or pros at all. He was a FIVE year Senior in college, so it makes me wonder how much Larry and his family were even talking about the money he was gonna make at the next level. They probably didn't discuss it all that much, Larry is mercurial. Jackie MacMullen says that his dad did it for them to get his life insurance money. If that's true, what a waste. However, that's probably not the full story. It's a leap to assume he didn't at least have major depression.

At any rate, sincere condolences to Stanley. I've been thru it. It's life changing. A piece of your soul dies with her.

Here's a severe tangent, but I'm on a Sopranos bender. The scene of Tony tearing up while watching a scene of Public Enemy that reminded him of his horrible mother was meant to show how powerful that bond is even if there isn't much of one. He was up late at night watching it and he came across a scene that displayed Cagney's mother's unconditional love for her delinquent murderer son. A tear rolled down his cheek and he took a drink of scotch to numb himself. In a later episode while being reminded of his dad staying with his goomar while his mother had a miscarriage at the hospital, the memory of that night upset him and he was pissed that he was upset, so he says to Melfi, "F huh..." He would call her a "miserable KON*!" (with emphasis on the C and T) and yet he could never stop trying to please the old bag. She was still his mommy.

Re: JM's claim that Bird's Dad's suicide was for the money: doubtful. The guy had been a long-time alcoholic and he'd out bouncing in and out of work. Any coverage he had was either a union group policy or an individual portable life policy; most of those policies do not pay benefits for suspected suicide.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:45 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
What puzzles me too is Bird's father committing suicide a year or so before he was to go pro. Bird himself said he wasn't paying attention to the Draft or pros at all. He was a FIVE year Senior in college, so it makes me wonder how much Larry and his family were even talking about the money he was gonna make at the next level. They probably didn't discuss it all that much, Larry is mercurial. Jackie MacMullen says that his dad did it for them to get his life insurance money. If that's true, what a waste. However, that's probably not the full story. It's a leap to assume he didn't at least have major depression. .

1. Larry's dad committed suicide when Larry was 18. He didn't turn pro for another 2-3 years.

2. I believe when Larry's dad killed himself, Larry had dropped out of Indiana State because the big city overwhelmed him and he was back in a community college in French Lick. (He returned to Indiana after a year). So there was no prospect of immediate big money, or any indication Larry would even become an NBA player.

3. Larry's dad was an alcoholic, and it wouldn't surprise me if he was drunk when he pulled the trigger.

4. Someone else noted that the insurance policy Larry dad reportedly had probably didn't pay off for a suicide. Wouldn't surprise me if his dad didn't realize that.
DanielCollins
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:43 pm    Post subject:

I feel bad for Larry
Tanlentueux
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:03 pm    Post subject:

bad news for the kid.
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:24 pm    Post subject:

I didn't know Larry Bird's dad committed suicide, that's terrible and on top of that the timing, as if there is ever a good time, was bad. So very sad.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: