Before injuries, what kind of player was Danny Manning?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:30 am    Post subject:

Jamison with 20' range, 6'10", tremendous motor.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
carlosLisboa
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:41 am    Post subject:

Manning had great court vision.
Check out in youtube his Magic passes. Play #1 here:

He could driblle also, and had good hands.
Had a dependable jumper from up to 20ft but nothing further.
At 6'10'' he could drive to the hole and score inside.

A knee injury in Phoenix (second one) made him a just average player.

The Clippers made the playoffs twice with him leading the charge.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
spflakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:55 pm    Post subject:

Manning was good pro. Otherworldly college player. Put it this way: at Kansas, Danny Manning was to college basketball as NPZ is to YouTube. Simply the best.

Ahem.

Loved when Kansas knocked off in Oklahoma in 1988, but now, looking back, I sort of wish that OU had won. What a fun team! Billy Tubbs, such a dude. King, Blaylock, Grant. Averaged 102 per game! Imagine a college team doing that today.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:42 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:

Good compare, Mych. There was a kinda inscrutable talent he had for getting into rebounding position right under the rim and then putting in junk baskets a la Antawn and/or Ced. Nothing showy, a lot of flicks and chippies, but a talent that really pisses off opposing coaches. I remember Ced doing it 3-4x against Detroit and their irate asst coach sat there stomping his feet and smacked his knee with his clipboard. It was a 1 inch bank he got while scooting around Oliver Miller of all people. You don't see a lot of guys with that skill. It's one of those things in basketball that looks a lot easier to do consistently than it is.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:14 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

Good compare, Mych. There was a kinda inscrutable talent he had for getting into rebounding position right under the rim and then putting in junk baskets a la Antawn and/or Ced. Nothing showy, a lot of flicks and chippies, but a talent that really pisses off opposing coaches. I remember Ced doing it 3-4x against Detroit and their irate asst coach sat there stomping his feet and smacked his knee with his clipboard. It was a 1 inch bank he got while scooting around Oliver Miller of all people. You don't see a lot of guys with that skill. It's one of those things in basketball that looks a lot easier to do consistently than it is.

When I played a lot, I liked to practice everyone's quirky shots. i could never do the Jamison, just weird and unique. Seeing it on the Lakers was even weirder for some reason, probably because I watched it more. Cedric was a genius at getting and-1's. It wasn't the reggie miller or kobe arm swing fake kind of and ones. Just normal layups and stuff, but he just had this weird knack for it. It would happen multiple times a game. Cedric...another weird player as we take this trip down memory lane. He was our #1 guy for a pretty long time, and he delivered! He won the dunk contest with that blindfold dunk. Another unusual player. If you were a teenaged Laker fan in the 90s, you still have a very soft spot in your heart for Cedric/Sedale/Nick/Eddie.
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:57 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
Cedric was a genius at getting and-1's. It wasn't the reggie miller or kobe arm swing fake kind of and ones. Just normal layups and stuff, but he just had this weird knack for it. It would happen multiple times a game. Cedric...another weird player as we take this trip down memory lane. He was our #1 guy for a pretty long time, and he delivered! He won the dunk contest with that blindfold dunk. Another unusual player. If you were a teenaged Laker fan in the 90s, you still have a very soft spot in your heart for Cedric/Sedale/Nick/Eddie.

Cedric Ceballos was one of the most gifted finishers the game has ever seen. Sounds like an exaggeration, but if you watched him you know it's true. Totally ambidextrous with long arms and soft touch. His jumper was good, he had a few iso moves, but what made him a 20 ppg guy was his ability to finish pretty much anything anywhere near the bucket. It was his only elite skill, but it was elite nonetheless. If he were a better defender he'd have been a perennial all star.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:23 pm    Post subject:

VegasLakerFan wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:
Cedric was a genius at getting and-1's. It wasn't the reggie miller or kobe arm swing fake kind of and ones. Just normal layups and stuff, but he just had this weird knack for it. It would happen multiple times a game. Cedric...another weird player as we take this trip down memory lane. He was our #1 guy for a pretty long time, and he delivered! He won the dunk contest with that blindfold dunk. Another unusual player. If you were a teenaged Laker fan in the 90s, you still have a very soft spot in your heart for Cedric/Sedale/Nick/Eddie.

Cedric Ceballos was one of the most gifted finishers the game has ever seen. Sounds like an exaggeration, but if you watched him you know it's true. Totally ambidextrous with long arms and soft touch. His jumper was good, he had a few iso moves, but what made him a 20 ppg guy was his ability to finish pretty much anything anywhere near the bucket. It was his only elite skill, but it was elite nonetheless. If he were a better defender he'd have been a perennial all star.

In his one AS year with us, I think he was the only SF besides Pippen to hit the 20 pt, 8 reb threshold. Unfort, I don't think the dude was franchise carrying material, despite his "Chise" moniker. Proof was in the pudding. His first mope in that role came as early as January. Then the Havasu thing. He screwed himself with that one. The meme about it being due to Magic, Ced dispelled twice about 15 yrs apart. He said both times it was a stupid response to some family stuff, but the media stuck that to Earv with that industrial 3M foam VHB tape, strongest tape on the market. That ain't comin unstuck.

http://tinyurl.com/pozhkct
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:30 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

When I played a lot, I liked to practice everyone's quirky shots. i could never do the Jamison, just weird and unique. Seeing it on the Lakers was even weirder for some reason, probably because I watched it more. Cedric was a genius at getting and-1's. It wasn't the reggie miller or kobe arm swing fake kind of and ones. Just normal layups and stuff, but he just had this weird knack for it. It would happen multiple times a game. Cedric...another weird player as we take this trip down memory lane. He was our #1 guy for a pretty long time, and he delivered! He won the dunk contest with that blindfold dunk. Another unusual player. If you were a teenaged Laker fan in the 90s, you still have a very soft spot in your heart for Cedric/Sedale/Nick/Eddie.

Incidentally Ced was also the most blocked guy in the league one year, I remember reading that in a preseason mag. Comes with the territory though. How'd you like that Gm 5 loss in 1993? Oh, that killed me. I moped for 3 daze after that. Big Nasty Joe was the only commentator who ever mentioned that 24 sec vio that the refs ignored on Chuck. We had a 2 possession gm with a half minute left in regulation without that. We shoulda been the first 8 seed to knock off the 1. I've said this before, but I recall the day Petrovic died, SportsCenter had a segment on the Bulls' strategy against PHX in the Finals and they showed Mike et al watching game footage from the Lakers series. Hit PHX in the middle and they were sketchy. I don't know how it took HOU 7 gms to beat them, frankly. That Suns team could not hold their HCA. They dropped the first two at home vs CHI right off the bat.
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:44 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:

In his one AS year with us, I think he was the only SF besides Pippen to hit the 20 pt, 8 reb threshold. Unfort, I don't think the dude was franchise carrying material, despite his "Chise" moniker. Proof was in the pudding.

No, and not close either. He was much closer to role player than franchise player, yet he was a legit all-star. Very weird player. If the Lakers had gone with the Mutombo-Dale Davis plan B instead of Shaq I think Ced would've been the perfect SF for the team.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:54 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
VegasLakerFan wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:

In his one AS year with us, I think he was the only SF besides Pippen to hit the 20 pt, 8 reb threshold. Unfort, I don't think the dude was franchise carrying material, despite his "Chise" moniker. Proof was in the pudding. His first mope in that role came as early as January. Then the Havasu thing. He screwed himself with that one. The meme about it being due to Magic, Ced dispelled twice about 15 yrs apart. He said both times it was a stupid response to some family stuff, but the media stuck that to Earv with that industrial 3M foam VHB tape, strongest tape on the market. That ain't comin unstuck.

http://tinyurl.com/pozhkct

He was a gifted offensive player, underrated passer, and a master at cutting and roaming the short corner. If only he could defend and not have flaked out that one time...
1hu2ren3dui4
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:35 pm    Post subject:

Couple of thoughts.

Manning I recall was really lanky. Moved kind of like Mini Bynum. More agility more speed but same sort of game in having length advantage over opposing players.

I was about to say look at that loser mike dunleavy and then remembered he was our coach.

The thief i felt was always underrated.

I remember why Elden got that contract. And I now remember why he was such a disappointment.

Byron Scott had a lot of hair in the 90s.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:21 am    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:

He was a gifted offensive player, underrated passer, and a master at cutting and roaming the short corner. If only he could defend and not have flaked out that one time...

Perfect example of his ability to get offensive boards and junk them in is right at the beginning of this vid. Elden misses 3x and Ced just casually trots in and gets the OR and putback. His feet barely left the ground on the shot.

fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:32 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:

Perfect example of his ability to get offensive boards and junk them in is right at the beginning of this vid. Elden misses 3x and Ced just casually trots in and gets the OR and putback. His feet barely left the ground on the shot.

That was pretty comical. He was just content to stand there for a while, and then all the sudden smells blood as Campbell is setting up for the third shot.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:37 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:

This was the greatest moment of Popeye Jones' career. Circus shot @ 7:35

Jack Nicholson with his young daughter @ 9:39

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:27 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:

Nice video. I remember that team, but I was awfully young. They look so promising - what happened? Looks like Magic was fitting in well.

Really think Magic should've stayed another year to play as a reserve PF when Shaq got here. Could've really given the Jazz trouble in '97 and '98.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:33 am    Post subject:

VegasLakerFan wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:

Nice video. I remember that team, but I was awfully young. They look so promising - what happened? Looks like Magic was fitting in well.

Really think Magic should've stayed another year to play as a reserve PF when Shaq got here. Could've really given the Jazz trouble in '97 and '98.

Classic Ced!!

Also, a minute later, Vlade does the classic Kobe reverse dunk. Yes...he does.

You know...these videos are very convincing. I'm not at all sure anymore that today's are any better athletes than the older guys, including the ones on the wilt chamberlain archives. Nope.

omg! there's a little bitty scottie brooks sighting!! totally forgot about that.

Nick with the shot that doesn't count!! Damn. Still my favorite player.

you know, it's weird to say after the shaq-kobe experience...but I don't think as a fan I could have liked a team more than this mid 90s laker squad.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:55 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:

This was the greatest moment of Popeye Jones' career. Circus shot @ 7:35

Jack Nicholson with his young daughter @ 9:39

David Wood... His first name should be Woody. That would perfectly describe him. Woody Wood. It's perfect enough that Woody Harrelson is actually named Woody and played the stereotypically rhythmless, but lovable average white guy in Cheers! and Can't Jump. I'm too smooth to be called that, tho, Patrick. You know that. My bro Cutheon said I switched back and forth from Caucasian to African-American in his mind. One of my favorite compliments. I became pals with KBCB and am bummed he got banned. We had the same tastes in women. I got a kick of his posts. You know I contacted him to see if it was possible for him to come back and I'm not so sure it's gonna happen. Just leave it at that.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:35 am    Post subject:

Quote:
you know, it's weird to say after the shaq-kobe experience...but I don't think as a fan I could have liked a team more than this mid 90s laker squad.

Those were my favorite teams as well. Took me a while to shake off that Eddie Jones trade.
Dladi Vidac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:48 am    Post subject:

Never in my wildest dreams did I think a Danny Manning thread would become the greatest basketball related thread on LG right now. NPZ's sorcery makes Merlin look like a birthday clown. Truly outrageous, truly, truly, truly outrageous, Jem.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:56 pm    Post subject:

Dladi Vidac wrote:
Never in my wildest dreams did I think a Danny Manning thread would become the greatest basketball related thread on LG right now. NPZ's sorcery makes Merlin look like a birthday clown. Truly outrageous, truly, truly, truly outrageous, Jem.

I'm willing to create any random topic that makes npz write like this. it's like listening to an nba insider.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: