Eric Pincus article / interview with Jim Buss
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:14 pm    Post subject: Eric Pincus article / interview with Jim Buss

Didn't see anyone post it yet so here it is:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/la-sp-lakers-jim-buss-20150828-story.html
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:29 pm    Post subject: Jim Buss's "Pledge" -- and You Won't Like This

FROM LA TIMES INTERVIEW:

His sister Jeanie Buss, part-owner of the Lakers and the team's president and governor, has said she will hold her brother to that pledge.

Jim Buss says: "It's not a number of wins. It's not if we make the playoffs. It's not how far we go in the playoffs," he said about the upcoming season. "It matters that we have core players, and that these guys are our future."

---

In other words, Buss is only leaving if he hasn't gathered together a group of "core players" he dislikes. (And there is no objective criteria for whether he has succeeded or failed).

Meaning, he ain't going anywhere even if the Lakers finish last in the league.

Last edited by activeverb on Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:32 pm    Post subject:

I'm not sure he worded it the right way but I think the general premise is that we need to build something. It can be now or it can be something with real serious future potential but it has to be one or the other. Being a treadmill team is not the goal here.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:41 pm    Post subject:

I agree with his statements do I feel like he's done a pretty good job so fsr.
I'm really excited about Randle, Russell, Clarkson and nance.
kobe_luver
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Jim Buss's "Pledge" -- and You Won't Like This

activeverb wrote:
FROM LA TIMES INTERVIEW:

His sister Jeanie Buss, part-owner of the Lakers and the team's president and governor, has said she will hold her brother to that pledge.

Jim Buss says: "It's not a number of wins. It's not if we make the playoffs. It's not how far we go in the playoffs," he said about the upcoming season. "It matters that we have core players, and that these guys are our future."

---

In other words, Buss is only leaving if he hasn't gathered together a group of "core players" he dislikes. (And there is no objective criteria for whether he has succeeded or failed).

You need to read what he said again. Your quote was for at the end of this season not the end of the next one when his "deadline" is.

In April 2014, Buss told The Times he would step down from his basketball operations position "if this doesn't work in three to four years, if we're not back on top."

"I don't mind that I said that, and I live by it. If we're not back contending in two years from now, then really I haven't done a good job," Buss said. "To me, the barometer of success at the end of next year ... is if we have eight core players that are going to be Lakers for the next five years.

"It's not a number of wins. It's not if we make the playoffs. It's not how far we go in the playoffs," he said about the upcoming season. "It matters that we have core players, and that these guys are our future."
Lakers_Jester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Jim Buss's "Pledge" -- and You Won't Like This

kobe_luver wrote:
activeverb wrote:
FROM LA TIMES INTERVIEW:

---

You need to read what he said again. Your quote was for at the end of this season not the end of the next one when his "deadline" is.

In April 2014, Buss told The Times he would step down from his basketball operations position "if this doesn't work in three to four years, if we're not back on top."

"I don't mind that I said that, and I live by it. If we're not back contending in two years from now, then really I haven't done a good job," Buss said. "To me, the barometer of success at the end of next year ... is if we have eight core players that are going to be Lakers for the next five years.

"It's not a number of wins. It's not if we make the playoffs. It's not how far we go in the playoffs," he said about the upcoming season. "It matters that we have core players, and that these guys are our future."

Thx for posting this because I was about to.

Shouldn't butcher quotes like that out of context, misrepresents the person being quoted.

There's alrdy a thread on the full, non butchered article.

ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:56 pm    Post subject:

He was never going to step down. If he is ousted it will be because Jeanie accomplished her plan.
Shaber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:52 pm    Post subject:

Embrace the rebuild.
Quote:
"It's just that it takes time to build a core that guys want to play with," Buss said. "I understand a superstar doesn't want to come in and say, 'Oh, we still have two or three years of rebuilding.' I think with Jordan Clarkson, Russell, Randle, even Hibbert ... we're getting a core of seven or eight players."

And enjoy the development of the future of Lakers.

Lakers depth chart

PG Johnson / Goodrich
SG Bryant / West / Scott
SF Baylor / Worthy / Cooper
PF Mikkelsen / Hairston / McAdoo / Gasol
C Chamberlain / Abdul-Jabbar / O'Neal / Mikan
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:00 am    Post subject:

Sounds like Jim has alot of faith in Scott.
Doesn't seem like Scott's on the "hot seat".
Shaber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:11 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Sounds like Jim has alot of faith in Scott.
Doesn't seem like Scott's on the "hot seat".

He sure has until the all-star break. Most likely till the end of his contract though.

The expectations are still low for this season.

Lakers depth chart

PG Johnson / Goodrich
SG Bryant / West / Scott
SF Baylor / Worthy / Cooper
PF Mikkelsen / Hairston / McAdoo / Gasol
C Chamberlain / Abdul-Jabbar / O'Neal / Mikan
OregonLakerGuy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:43 am    Post subject:

Good interview. kudos to Eric.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:17 am    Post subject:

Make sure to catch Eric's blog. Lots more detail and context coming.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:00 am    Post subject:

Fantastic interview
legend825
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:17 am    Post subject:

delusional that they think B. Scott is doing well and is a great coach. SMH
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:18 am    Post subject:

What a difference a mullet makes. Looks like a completely different person.

Agree with everything Jimbo said in this interview. I think once the league sees what our young core is capable of, they'll have a better idea of where they'll fit in. These guys are still an unknown. This next season will be about building chemistry. We have guys that can grow here for the next 5 years.

As far as Scott goes, I've been in the minority in my support of him. I was impressed with how hard he had the team playing despite all the random lineups and injuries. He kept them focused on each individual game in a lost season, there were no major blowouts in the locker room in a season that would've been easy to point the finger, and that to me is an accomplishment.

Phil is recognized as the GOAT, deservedly so, but to me what made him great was his management skills, not a mastery of x's and o's. Scott will never be in that company, but I saw the players buy into what he was selling. Excited to see what he can do now that we actually have some NBA talent.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:24 am    Post subject:

Quote:
"If a big name or two came, we have the room. That's the key," Buss said. "We've kept our flexibility."
This has Mitch written all over it.
Yong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:43 am    Post subject:

Appreciate how honest and upfront Buss was in this interview. That's accountability.

Also comforting to know that he has extremely high hopes for Russell.
They must have seen something that we don't. I know the management has made several mistakes over trades and free agency. But one thing I never doubt is their eye for talent - Marc, Turiaf, Bynum, Ariza and Clarkson are their greatest testimony.
Andre2K
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:45 am    Post subject:

Excellent interview. I like Jimbo's demeanour seems like he is not in panic mode like his sister. Gotta trust the process man, we'll be back on top no doubt

Pg Lonzo
Sg Kawhi
Sf Ingram
Pf Lebron
C Dedmon

Bench: Caruso, Hart, Bullock, Kuzma, McGee etc
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:48 am    Post subject:

Sniper008 wrote:
Excellent interview. I like Jimbo's demeanour seems like he is not in panic mode like his sister. Gotta trust the process man, we'll be back on top no doubt

You can see why doc chose jim for the basketball role and Jeanie for the public role. Neither is good at the other role. Jim accepts that. Just need Jeanie to bury the hatchet and pull together. They would be a formidable pair.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:07 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
He was never going to step down. If he is ousted it will be because Jeanie accomplished her plan.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Jim Buss's "Pledge" -- and You Won't Like This

activeverb wrote:
FROM LA TIMES INTERVIEW:

---

Place this in the "duh" file. Anyone who thought he was going to leave is delusional. The guy is an owner of this team, he is going nowhere.
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:44 am    Post subject:

I really think it should come down to the state of the roster at the time. Even with the right roster, and a couple of stars, it still takes time and the right coaching to make deep playoff runs.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:56 am    Post subject:

Great job Eric, nice interview. There are certainly question marks, but I can't see how any Laker fan can't like the direction the team is going. Philly has "Trust the process", we have "trust the Mitch". I like our odds better.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:03 am    Post subject:

RIF

One day that lesson might sink in here, but I seriously doubt it.
LoyalLakerfan44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:04 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
Sniper008 wrote:

You can see why doc chose jim for the basketball role and Jeanie for the public role. Neither is good at the other role. Jim accepts that. Just need Jeanie to bury the hatchet and pull together. They would be a formidable pair.

No it's more like the I don't care mentality of someone that doesn't have the passion or the work ethic. More like I've got my money and if I fail so what? The guy is a failure now and has always been a failure, just look at his record. He's a daddy's boy that has no idea how to put in the work necessary to create an empire, everything was always given to him. Maybe he's good a shopping for sports cars but not for running a professional basketball team.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5
Jump to: