Clippers selling their streams of their games....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:42 pm    Post subject: Clippers selling their streams of their games....

http://www.thestreet.com/story/13270113/1/steve-ballmer-streaming-the-clippers-could-be-a-watershed-moment-for-tv.html?puc=yahoo&cm_ven=YAHOO

Yes, I know its the Clippers, but it could impact other teams in the NBA.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:11 pm    Post subject:

I wish it were possible for the Lakers to do this. I would love to cancel TWC. I watch Netflix and only have TWC for the Lakers. Thinking of just doing Ball Streams this year
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:02 pm    Post subject:

Ballmer's in a somewhat unique case where he can just accept the losses if the idea fails, whereas for example the Lakers owners have no such luxury. As rich as they are, there's probably only 4 or 5 owners in the nba that would be willing to eat that loss, it's doubled up risk also as the big city teams can't become revenue sharing receivers.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:32 pm    Post subject:

You couldn't pay me enough to watch Clipper games.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:34 pm    Post subject:

Telleris wrote:
Ballmer's in a somewhat unique case where he can just accept the losses if the idea fails, whereas for example the Lakers owners have no such luxury. As rich as they are, there's probably only 4 or 5 owners in the nba that would be willing to eat that loss, it's doubled up risk also as the big city teams can't become revenue sharing receivers.

A long as enough networks and teams holdout because of the traditional TV pay model, streaming will remain being niche for sports. The good teams will remain on the traditional model while the teams with nothing to lose will take risks and go with the newer technologies. Ballmer is willing to experiment because lets face it, he's filthy rich and the Clippers aren't even popular within their own city.
1hu2ren3dui4
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:36 pm    Post subject:

I'd pay for the lakers in a heartbeat. And I'd pay a pretty hefty sum too.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:08 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:
I wish it were possible for the Lakers to do this. I would love to cancel TWC. I watch Netflix and only have TWC for the Lakers. Thinking of just doing Ball Streams this year

I am really disappointed in the TWC non-game Laker content. I just feel that they have their money, now they are half assing it.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:18 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
22 wrote:

I am really disappointed in the TWC non-game Laker content. I just feel that they have their money, now they are half assing it.

Same VLF. It's been subpar since day 1 IMO. Backstage Lakers is really the only thing of value they offer.

KCAL9 and Fox Sports did a much better job of coverage. And what's ironic is of they were still on those networks I wouldn't have to pay for cable

It's a cold world
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
The_Dynasty24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:41 pm    Post subject:

This is interesting, how do you guys think that this would affect the NBA's big TV deals? If more and more teams start streaming, could this potentially have an adverse affect on how much channels like ABC and TNT are willing to pay to host those games? And then this would directly reduce the NBA (and therefore both owners'/players') profit/revenue.
gumby
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:08 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
22 wrote:

I don't know where to put my finger on it but it just doesn't feel like they are utilizing that channel to its fullest.

And definitely not worth the price if games aren't shown (and that's debateable too)

Bye.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:16 pm    Post subject:

(bleep) the clippers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:22 pm    Post subject:

Wouldn't this interfere with NBA League Pass. I doubt this would be approved by the NBA.
gumby
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:57 pm    Post subject:

LAKERSCMXCIX wrote:
(bleep) the clippers

Always.

Bye.
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:26 pm    Post subject:

30 wrote:
Wouldn't this interfere with NBA League Pass. I doubt this would be approved by the NBA.

league pass is blacked out in local markets
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:52 pm    Post subject:

The term streaming is appropriate for Clippers games, as their product is usually the color of a certain flowing, yellow current.
The_Dynasty24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:23 pm    Post subject:

Telleris wrote:
30 wrote:

That's the thing though...the streaming most likely wouldn't be restricted to local markets it would? And if that's the case, it definitely would.
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:39 am    Post subject:

The_Dynasty24 wrote:
Telleris wrote:
30 wrote:

That's the thing though...the streaming most likely wouldn't be restricted to local markets it would? And if that's the case, it definitely would.

It's not hard to limit it to market addresses, plus it'd be more expensive (you can get every team, both broadcast teams + nba tv for $120 using an indian proxy for int'l users), so unless you're someone who moves back and forth from la to elsewhere (such as if you work between la and austin like a lot of californian companies now), you wouldn't want the local package, but then i'm not sure that matters as providers do internet streams of their channels to allow local subscribers to view them when travelling (fox sports go for people whose local teams are fox channels).
tolivendiewithLA
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:51 am    Post subject:

Who is going to buy these streams?

The Clippers do themselves and the NBA a disservice by being in the LA Laker dominated market. People assume oh it's the LA market they'll get ratings but this only applies to the Lakers. In the Clippers best season ever last season their Local and National ratings dropped for the second season in a row by a significant amount, near 20%. That would tell you IMO some Laker fans cross over when the Lakers are good and watch Clipper games, but with the Lakers down they don't bother. And this while in the Lakers worst season ever, despite a near 50% drop in ratings over 2 years, LAL 'still' doubled up the Clipper TV ratings. Clipper games received poor playoff numbers as well. The media pushes the Clippers, but the fanbase isn't there.
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:46 pm    Post subject:

tolivendiewithLA wrote:

The Clippers do themselves and the NBA a disservice by being in the LA Laker dominated market. People assume oh it's the LA market they'll get ratings but this only applies to the Lakers. In the Clippers best season ever last season their Local and National ratings dropped for the second season in a row by a significant amount, near 20%. That would tell you IMO some Laker fans cross over when the Lakers are good and watch Clipper games, but with the Lakers down they don't bother. And this while in the Lakers worst season ever, despite a near 50% drop in ratings over 2 years, LAL 'still' doubled up the Clipper TV ratings. Clipper games received poor playoff numbers as well. The media pushes the Clippers, but the fanbase isn't there.

He may be holding out for $75m, because Fox's channel is screwed if they lose the Clippers. The other part though is the technology he'd roll out could then be onsold to other owners, probably using microsoft (a fully deployable internet streaming setup so the other owners don't need to spend time and money doing it all themselves).
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:12 pm    Post subject:

I wonder if fox is going to if they haven't already try to negotiate their Hulu platform into deal. If the clippers try to go solo and take their team out of the bundle it will be the death of their franchise. Lakers on fewer screens got higher ratings.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:30 pm    Post subject:

Telleris wrote:

Ballmer is so rich he can roll the dice to see what happens. $60 million to him is like 10 bucks to most people.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:27 pm    Post subject:

$10/month? What is this author smoking?
tolivendiewithLA
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:00 pm    Post subject:

Telleris wrote:
tolivendiewithLA wrote:

He may be holding out for $75m, because Fox's channel is screwed if they lose the Clippers. The other part though is the technology he'd roll out could then be onsold to other owners, probably using microsoft (a fully deployable internet streaming setup so the other owners don't need to spend time and money doing it all themselves).

You maybe be right that he's holding out, but that doesn't explain exactly who's going to buy these streams? The Clipper fanbase just isn't strong and as I pointed out their tv market is somehow declining in their best era ever, that's concerning. That said perhaps Balmer is so wealthy he's not concerned and just loves being an owner.
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:45 pm    Post subject:

tolivendiewithLA wrote:

Jeff in Tarzana? He'll probably win a free subscription on one of the call-in programs. At least they can show advertisers there are actually one or two non-robots accessing the streams.
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:43 am    Post subject:

tolivendiewithLA wrote:
Telleris wrote:
tolivendiewithLA wrote:

You maybe be right that he's holding out, but that doesn't explain exactly who's going to buy these streams? The Clipper fanbase just isn't strong and as I pointed out their tv market is somehow declining in their best era ever, that's concerning. That said perhaps Balmer is so wealthy he's not concerned and just loves being an owner.

the $60m offered would make it the 2nd highest rights in the nba (note : the knicks owner also owns their network, msg, so charge themselves a discount rate for tax reasons), but that's why i think he might be viewing selling deployment elsewhere as a model.

Like for example if the Green Bay Packers went streaming service, it'd be cheaper to pay Ballmer's company than do all the ground work themselves.

Given his wealth, he's more than willing to take the risk, heck his net worth has increased by 2.5bn since he bought the team (1 year ago), risking a couple hundred million is a luxury. Also the idea that subscribers would have to pay $12 is nonsense, do we really imagine him delivering ad free streaming? lol, heck the sport has designated ad breaks so without ads such as on league pass, it has a standby screen, I'd rather ads.

Tbh, I like the idea too, the Clippers are inconsequential, i just think ala carte services are the future and being the first to deploy the model would lead to a lot of profits from other owners as they shift too. He may be the first, he won't be the last, and i think other technology upgrades will only accelerate a move from cable to internet delivery (for example, did you know audi are planning to put internet tv services into their self driving car expected in 2017? sure that's a premium product on day 1 but by 2022? not so much)
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: