WWF moments thread - RIP Jim "The Anvil" Neidhart 8/14
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:24 pm    Post subject: WWF moments thread - RIP Jim "The Anvil" Neidhart 8/14

The BEST THERE IS

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM

Last edited by C M B on Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:28 am; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Dladi Vidac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:03 am    Post subject:

I can't imagine anything more soul destroying than losing a younger sibling or a kid.

YouTube commenter said it best:

"Bret's life from 1999 to 2003 was a nightmare, he lost his brother, his mother, his brother in law, his father, he had a stroke, he had to retire via a concussion, he couldn't walk for 6 months....he's a (bleep) fighter as many would kill themselves...after going through that hell."

The BEST THERE WAS...
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:41 am    Post subject:

Dladi Vidac wrote:
I can't imagine anything more soul destroying than losing a younger sibling or a kid.

"Bret's life from 1999 to 2003 was a nightmare, he lost his brother, his mother, his brother in law, his father, he had a stroke, he had to retire via a concussion, he couldn't walk for 6 months....he's a (bleep) fighter as many would kill themselves...after going through that hell."

The BEST THERE WAS...

Yeah, he rebounded very well, especially when he ended up with a really young Italian wife. But like most wrestler marriages, he got divorced; although it didn't seem bitter separation. Then he ends up with an even younger wife.

Even with all of that, you can see how much it wore on him. He aged really fast. It certainly doesn't help that his cousin Roddy Piper passed away recently and a guy he considers like a son in Tyson Kidd may not be able to wrestle any more.
frijolero01
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:39 am    Post subject:

I was at a buddy's house watching it Over The Edge 99. We turned away for a while because it was between matches. Then, I was confused as hell and surprised at what JR was saying. I had never seen anybody in wrestling break kayfabe on live tv. It was very sad. He kept reiterating that this wasn't a wrestling angle and it's not part of the show. I kept saying. "no way." I didn't believe it until he announced he was dead and the look on Jerry's face. It was very surreal. I've always known Jerry to be loud and obnoxious and he had a stone cold (no pun) look on his face.

What was also weird were the tributes they had on Nitro the next day. I just never imagined the competing companies ever referring to each other's program let alone wrestlers even in a time of tragedy. They never spoke of their names. They just said "the other networK" You never broke character no matter what but, this was an unprecedented incident. A lot of WCW guys had an "OH" arm band on that night. It was weird but very heartwarming at the same time that these 2 companies set aside their rivalry for 1 day.
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:25 pm    Post subject:

LAkers 4 Life wrote:
Dladi Vidac wrote:

The BEST THERE WAS...

Yeah, he rebounded very well, especially when he ended up with a really young Italian wife. But like most wrestler marriages, he got divorced; although it didn't seem bitter separation. Then he ends up with an even younger wife.

Even with all of that, you can see how much it wore on him. He aged really fast. It certainly doesn't help that his cousin Roddy Piper passed away recently and a guy he considers like a son in Tyson Kidd may not be able to wrestle any more.

I think only the Von Erich Family beats the Harts in family tragedies...
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:56 am    Post subject:

Dladi Vidac wrote:

The BEST THERE WAS...

THE BEST THERE EVER WILL BE

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:46 pm    Post subject:

And of course dumbass Atlanta fans were telling him "Hurry up", "Boring". While he was talking about something very real.

A little off topic, but WCW really messed up how they used Bret. They should have put him up against Hogan, Sting, Giant right away. Instead they put him up against the mid-carders. It was nonsense. I can't believe how much great wrestling and sports entertainment talent that franchise had in 97. If they had wanted to, they could have built 4-5 Goldberg like stars, using their other proven stars to help younger guys get over. Instead it was just Bill Goldberg they put over. Putting Bret over right away over Hogan, not only draws money, it would have meant instant recognition to the younger mid-card talent, because Bret always wanted to help build the younger guys who could actually wrestle (Like Benoit, Booker T, Jericho etc). Instead you wind up seeing Bret put on quality matches in 98 with guys like Booker, Benoit, Malenko etc. only it was important because they were mid-card matches in the shadow of re-runs of the same stuff they were trying to do in 96 with the NWO. Not only did WCW have at the time mega stars like Hogan, Bret, Nash/Hall, Sting, Piper etc. they had the guys like Goldberg who they could have put over and made into great stars as well (Something WWE did right away) with Jericho, Giant/Big Show, Booker T, Benoit etc.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:47 pm    Post subject:

The Ultimate Maniacs

eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:30 pm    Post subject:

scott steiner funny moments

Scott Steiner - Fan Wrestling Promo
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:15 pm    Post subject:

Any one see this one? I don't watch RAW but a friend told me it's how Raw ended and I watched the clip online.... Nice to see the Stinger.

jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:19 pm    Post subject:

Can't do a WWE promo thread without the man that took it to the next level:

jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:23 pm    Post subject:

Dladi Vidac wrote:

The BEST THERE WAS...

It was really sad to see. For his entire career, he looked like the same dude that burst on the WWF scene. I stopped watching wrestling around 1999 and I remember seeing Brett on some show a few years later and he looked like he had aged 20 years.
Dladi Vidac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:27 pm    Post subject:

NOTHING MEANS NOTHING!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rWrlAmT4jyA
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:46 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Any one see this one? I don't watch RAW but a friend told me it's how Raw ended and I watched the clip online.... Nice to see the Stinger.

No idea who the new guy is but great to see Sting.

dood23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:06 am    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

No idea who a lot of the new guys are. But hearing about Brock Lesnar's adventures in rassling drew my intrigue recently and I've been finding myself being entertained more than I am with a UFC fight.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:40 am    Post subject:

You had to be good in the ring and behind the mic.

The best behind the mic would probably be:

The Rock
Flair
Road Warrior Hawk
Hogan
Rhodes
Randy Savage

Austin and arn Anderson weren't bad as well.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:33 am    Post subject:

Obligatory:

Its always fascinating to watch Ric Flair switch between boastful smooth operator and raging psychotic:

!...
Lakers95
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:40 am    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Seth Rollins. Easily the best non-part timer in WWE today. Outside of part timers like Brock Lesnar, Undertaker, Triple H, Sting, and The Rock, he's the only wrestler worth tuning in to WWE programming for. Everyone else has either been ruined by awful booking or are boring/intolerable in general.
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:45 am    Post subject:

Lakers95 wrote:
C M B wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Seth Rollins. Easily the best non-part timer in WWE today. Outside of part timers like Brock Lesnar, Undertaker, Triple H, Sting, and The Rock, he's the only wrestler worth tuning in to WWE programming for. Everyone else has either been ruined by awful booking or are boring/intolerable in general.

Best match I've seen in years was Sasha Banks vs. Bayley a couple of Saturdays ago at NXT Take Over.

NXT as a whole has some really entertaining acts that in my opinion are a lot more fun to watch than the main WWE roster.
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:28 am    Post subject:

I always liked this short Bret Hart promo a couple of months before the Montreal screw job. Bret had a good run right before he left the WWF. His promos I thought were better as a heel.

Lakers95
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:11 pm    Post subject:

Hammett wrote:
Lakers95 wrote:
C M B wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Best match I've seen in years was Sasha Banks vs. Bayley a couple of Saturdays ago at NXT Take Over.

NXT as a whole has some really entertaining acts that in my opinion are a lot more fun to watch than the main WWE roster.

Yeah, Sasha vs Bayley was awesome. They'd never book a divas match like that for one of their main shows. I haven't really been following NXT, but I caught some of Takeover, and I enjoyed the Owens/Balor match too.

Raw is so formulaic nowadays. I usually just watch the opening segment and then tune in for the final 25-30 minutes of the show. Everything else in between is irrelevant, like boring tag team matches, matches between two random wrestlers with no storyline/tension to go with it, or stupid comedy skits.
Dladi Vidac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:23 pm    Post subject:

Chewmala

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=K055Sn8BvqE
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:27 pm    Post subject:

eureca wrote:
I always liked this short Bret Hart promo a couple of months before the Montreal screw job. Bret had a good run right before he left the WWF. His promos I thought were better as a heel.

Was this kayfabe?

Lakers95
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:42 pm    Post subject:

doughboy90650 wrote:
You had to be good in the ring and behind the mic.

The best behind the mic would probably be:

The Rock
Flair
Road Warrior Hawk
Hogan
Rhodes
Randy Savage

Austin and arn Anderson weren't bad as well.

Triple H too. One of the best heels ever. He could get people to hate on him so easily.
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:43 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
eureca wrote:

Was this kayfabe?

I think so. This is probably when they started going towards the Attitude era since WCW was kicking their asses.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: