Eric Pincus article / interview with Jim Buss
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:58 am    Post subject:

THE_DAGGER wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:
^ Speaking of the Spurs and the Triangle, the Spurs actually borrowed heavily from the Triangle in building their motion offense. I would say that they improved on it a lot as well, making it less deliberate, and engineering more efficient shots. That's what successful competitors do- they copy what works from others and put new twists on it. (Analogous to Kobe borrowing parts of the games of other top players to craft his own game.)

They don't just stick with what worked in the past dogmatically, because things change. And that goes for Phil and Dfish, who are now showing signs of departing from their previous 'purist' stance on the triangle, after their debacle of a season.

Fine if you want to go a different direction then everyone else- but you have to innovate- you can't go backwards into time and stick to something that everyone has evolved from.

As for your last line, it's pretty likely that the eye test (including games and workouts) was the biggest factor in selecting Russell. Just look at what Jerry West and Rick Pitino have said about him. Mychal Thompson is as old school as you can get, and after he watched Russell play, he said "That's the guy". Phil Jackson sat down to watch hours of video with Russell, and demonstrated to him how he could take the Kobe role in the triangle. And the analytics also liking him is definitely not a bad thing.

I don't want to make this a semantics debate like I've already bashed others for doing. But, you should take from others and make it your own. I just feel like you're coming from a position where you're looking up to the Spurs or in awe of them. I'm pretty much coming from a position where I'm looking down at them, but I'm willing to take what they do into consideration.

I give Pop and the organization all the credit in the world. But, as a small market team, they have no choice but to try any and everything they can to gain a competitive advantage. Up until this offseason they were not a top free agent destination.

But, even they are at the mercy of the health of their talent. Particularly, with the health of Tony Parker. If he's 100% they go deep in playoffs. If not, their season ends early like it did last year.

That's one of, if not the main reasons why the Warriors won. They were the best team with the most health at the right time.

If we had our core players healthy the last few seasons it wouldn't have mattered what system we were running as a base. With playing and practice time together the players would have had the reigns of the team anyways. Byron would have opened it up to the players after that trust and foundation was built.

And Phil has been willing to innovate back to his Chicago days. He's had a stretch 4 or playmaking 4 on his teams: Kukoc, Horry, and Lamar. The corner 3 was a staple of the Triangle ask Pippen, Harper, and Fisher. Our last repeat we moved Kobe's post ups to iso post ups out further. He ran more PnR with Kobe and Gasol.

Again, not having talent and specifically talent with health is what hurts a team.

I bring up the Spurs not because I put them on a pedestal but because they are an easy contrast to everything that we're doing wrong. And many organizations have been emulating them to fast track their rebuilds, including the Hawks and the Jazz, who have both vaulted ahead of us, so of course there is something to learn from their success. I'm sure you will want to point out that they are small market teams as well, but with the new collective bargaining agreement, it's a much more level playing field.

That new CBA and the NBA rule changes are huge things that fly in the face of 'doing things the way we've always done it' and can't be ignored. EVERYONE needs to try any and everything to get a competitive advantage. To not do so would be sheer arrogance and set us up for failure.

It's interesting that you bring up injuries for the Spurs, because they are innovators in injury prevention to the point that they get a lot of flack for it. It's no coincidence that even with an aging roster all these years, they've largely escaped major injuries. And the Warriors did copy their model this past season, which likely contributed to their good health. Meanwhile we play an aging Kobe coming off of injury 45+ minutes during a stretch of games and act surprised that he breaks down.
THE_DAGGER
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:47 am    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
I bring up the Spurs not because I put them on a pedestal but because they are an easy contrast to everything that we're doing wrong. And many organizations have been emulating them to fast track their rebuilds, including the Hawks and the Jazz, who have both vaulted ahead of us, so of course there is something to learn from their success. I'm sure you will want to point out that they are small market teams as well, but with the new collective bargaining agreement, it's a much more level playing field.

That new CBA and the NBA rule changes are huge things that fly in the face of 'doing things the way we've always done it' and can't be ignored. EVERYONE needs to try any and everything to get a competitive advantage. To not do so would be sheer arrogance and set us up for failure.

It's interesting that you bring up injuries for the Spurs, because they are innovators in injury prevention to the point that they get a lot of flack for it. It's no coincidence that even with an aging roster all these years, they've largely escaped major injuries. And the Warriors did copy their model this past season, which likely contributed to their good health. Meanwhile we play an aging Kobe coming off of injury 45+ minutes during a stretch of games and act surprised that he breaks down.

In what truly meaningful way did they vault our organization? Yes, more wins in a regular season is something. But, what do they have to show for it?

Once again, back to health. How good are the Jazz going to look this year without Exum? Not that I think it would have mattered either way in my opinion, but I believe the Hawks would have liked to have had a 100% Carroll and Korver against the Cavs.

I do like the Spurs sitting their players for rest. And the Warriors followed suit with that by using health monitoring anayltics. Now, that's anayltics worth having for sure.

With Kobe, of course he should have sat more. But, that was something he was going to have to come to terms with personally. This is a guy who's known for putting himself in the games. Another thing, and I think you'll agree, is that the Lakers and Kobe coming to town means more on so many levels than the Spurs and Duncan coming to town. Kobe himself said he feels obligated to play for the fans.
dino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:53 am    Post subject:

i actually liked hearing that they had hibbert in the bag BEFORE going after FAs. bird did them a solid.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:23 am    Post subject:

THE_DAGGER wrote:

In what truly meaningful way did they vault our organization? Yes, more wins in a regular season is something. But, what do they have to show for it?

Once again, back to health. How good are the Jazz going to look this year without Exum? Not that I think it would have mattered either way in my opinion, but I believe the Hawks would have liked to have had a 100% Carroll and Korver against the Cavs.

They are ahead of us in the meaningful way that they currently have better teams and better coaches. Next year, where every roster in the league should have a max salary slot open, a Lakers team with the second best record in the league (Hawks) and ball movement that puts most teams to shame would have been the undisputed frontrunner to land a Kevin Durant in free agency, which would put them in title contention.

Or even an up and coming Laker team with a one of the best post all star break records in the league, and a serious chance to do damage in the upcoming season would be favorites to land free agents.

These aren't plausible scenarios, but yes, those organizations have put themselves ahead of us in a measurable way. To attract good players, you have to have had some measure of success. Not be perceived as lagging behind in many important aspects of competition.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:06 am    Post subject:

Winning cures all.

And no fancy analytics or ahead of it's time science is gonna attract more free agents than 'winning' because ultimately that is what matters in this league.

So we could have the best analytics department, the number 1 medical staff, the greatest training staff, the most high tech and the comfortable practice facility in Los Angeles. If we put up a 21-60 season, we still aren't landing any free agent of significance.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:49 am    Post subject:

Good to hear from him. The reticent/reclusive demeanor wasn't working to his or the Lakers' benefit. And it's definitely good to hear that he's being patient, even with his ass on the fire.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:52 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Winning cures all.

And no fancy analytics or ahead of it's time science is gonna attract more free agents than 'winning' because ultimately that is what matters in this league.

So we could have the best analytics department, the number 1 medical staff, the greatest training staff, the most high tech and the comfortable practice facility in Los Angeles. If we put up a 21-60 season, we still aren't landing any free agent of significance.

Eh, most if not all of those things contribute to wins. That's the entire point.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:36 am    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
THE_DAGGER wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:
^ Speaking of the Spurs and the Triangle, the Spurs actually borrowed heavily from the Triangle in building their motion offense. I would say that they improved on it a lot as well, making it less deliberate, and engineering more efficient shots. That's what successful competitors do- they copy what works from others and put new twists on it. (Analogous to Kobe borrowing parts of the games of other top players to craft his own game.)

They don't just stick with what worked in the past dogmatically, because things change. And that goes for Phil and Dfish, who are now showing signs of departing from their previous 'purist' stance on the triangle, after their debacle of a season.

Fine if you want to go a different direction then everyone else- but you have to innovate- you can't go backwards into time and stick to something that everyone has evolved from.

As for your last line, it's pretty likely that the eye test (including games and workouts) was the biggest factor in selecting Russell. Just look at what Jerry West and Rick Pitino have said about him. Mychal Thompson is as old school as you can get, and after he watched Russell play, he said "That's the guy". Phil Jackson sat down to watch hours of video with Russell, and demonstrated to him how he could take the Kobe role in the triangle. And the analytics also liking him is definitely not a bad thing.

I don't want to make this a semantics debate like I've already bashed others for doing. But, you should take from others and make it your own. I just feel like you're coming from a position where you're looking up to the Spurs or in awe of them. I'm pretty much coming from a position where I'm looking down at them, but I'm willing to take what they do into consideration.

I give Pop and the organization all the credit in the world. But, as a small market team, they have no choice but to try any and everything they can to gain a competitive advantage. Up until this offseason they were not a top free agent destination.

But, even they are at the mercy of the health of their talent. Particularly, with the health of Tony Parker. If he's 100% they go deep in playoffs. If not, their season ends early like it did last year.

That's one of, if not the main reasons why the Warriors won. They were the best team with the most health at the right time.

If we had our core players healthy the last few seasons it wouldn't have mattered what system we were running as a base. With playing and practice time together the players would have had the reigns of the team anyways. Byron would have opened it up to the players after that trust and foundation was built.

And Phil has been willing to innovate back to his Chicago days. He's had a stretch 4 or playmaking 4 on his teams: Kukoc, Horry, and Lamar. The corner 3 was a staple of the Triangle ask Pippen, Harper, and Fisher. Our last repeat we moved Kobe's post ups to iso post ups out further. He ran more PnR with Kobe and Gasol.

Again, not having talent and specifically talent with health is what hurts a team.

They've also been the beneficiary of drafting Duncan which they've been able to build around successfully for some time.

Once he and Parker/Ginobili retires, think they'll still be an every year contender? I doubt it. They're going to be like every other team that goes through a rebuild.

They certainly do a lot of things well, but when you've got a guy like Duncan, Lebron, Kobe, Shaq, etc, it's easy to look like you're doing everything right.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:51 am    Post subject:

^I was never suggesting that we'd be perennial title contenders for the next 15 years if only we copied the Spurs. I was saying that there is a lot to learn from the things they do right. In this particular case, their offensive system, which many, if not most of the top teams have already borrowed liberally from.

Do the Hawks have Duncan, Ginobili, and Parker? Yet somehow they managed to construct a top offense and defense. Do the Warriors? They made the leap from lower tier playoff team to champions.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Jim Buss's "Pledge" -- and You Won't Like This

kobe_luver wrote:
activeverb wrote:
FROM LA TIMES INTERVIEW:

His sister Jeanie Buss, part-owner of the Lakers and the team's president and governor, has said she will hold her brother to that pledge.

Jim Buss says: "It's not a number of wins. It's not if we make the playoffs. It's not how far we go in the playoffs," he said about the upcoming season. "It matters that we have core players, and that these guys are our future."

---

In other words, Buss is only leaving if he hasn't gathered together a group of "core players" he dislikes. (And there is no objective criteria for whether he has succeeded or failed).

Meaning, he ain't going anywhere even if the Lakers finish last in the league.

You need to read what he said again. Your quote was for at the end of this season not the end of the next one when his "deadline" is.

In April 2014, Buss told The Times he would step down from his basketball operations position "if this doesn't work in three to four years, if we're not back on top."

His sister Jeanie Buss, part-owner of the Lakers and the team's president and governor, has said she will hold her brother to that pledge.

"I don't mind that I said that, and I live by it. If we're not back contending in two years from now, then really I haven't done a good job," Buss said. "To me, the barometer of success at the end of next year ... is if we have eight core players that are going to be Lakers for the next five years.

"It's not a number of wins. It's not if we make the playoffs. It's not how far we go in the playoffs," he said about the upcoming season. "It matters that we have core players, and that these guys are our future."

The Jim Bush quote was something he said to the Times two days ago, so apparently the "deadline" -- as of now -- is after the 2016-17 season.

But that wasn't even my point.

I was saying there isn't any objective criteria. It doesn't matter how many wins the Lakers get or if they even make the playoffs. The Lakers could go 30-52 and Buss could declare he did his job because he has a solid core to build off of players
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:33 am    Post subject:

Nice interview. I agree with all of it except the stuff about Byron.

I'm willing to accept that the franchise is going to support Byron publicly as long as he's the coach. When Jim's case for Byron almost entirely revolves around him being a Laker, part of the family, loyal to the franchise, I just cringe. This is not the criteria that should be guiding the hiring of a coach. If it's just because he can't badmouth Byron while he's employed then fair enough. If it's truly how he feels then coaching hires will continue to be a weakness for him.
Purp&Gold
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:41 am    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:
if the Lakers wants Kobe to take a backseat to the young guys, then it's tank time!

It's honestly tank time even with him in the front seat, He's not that good anymore.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:32 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:

I'm willing to accept that the franchise is going to support Byron publicly as long as he's the coach. When Jim's case for Byron almost entirely revolves around him being a Laker, part of the family, loyal to the franchise, I just cringe. This is not the criteria that should be guiding the hiring of a coach. If it's just because he can't badmouth Byron while he's employed then fair enough. If it's truly how he feels then coaching hires will continue to be a weakness for him.

If management doesnt come out in full support of the coach, it undermines the coach's ability to do his job. Nothing gained by showing a lack of support. In fact you generally only see that when a coach has tried to do the us vs them thing.As a manager, its all good until it isnt, which is when you are making the change.

In other words Jim is doing exactly what he should.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:01 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:

That's his case for Ryan West as well ("You know that he bleeds purple. You don't have to question anything about the guy, he's 100% dedicated to the Lakers. So am I, so is Mitch, so are our scouts. It gives a very comfortable feeling that you can concentrate on basketball when you have this kind of family around you.") Manchurian candidate threat?
JoJo Dancer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:34 pm    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:
Why is he opening his mouth? He really should just shut up.

Oh wait, wrong owner. With this one it's different for some reason. He has our permission to talk, so it's okay for him to say things.

He's a teachers (certain mods) pet. I don't really care what he says. He keeps producing historically awful Laker teams.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:05 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
ocho wrote:

If management doesnt come out in full support of the coach, it undermines the coach's ability to do his job. Nothing gained by showing a lack of support. In fact you generally only see that when a coach has tried to do the us vs them thing.As a manager, its all good until it isnt, which is when you are making the change.

I get that, and mentioned in my post that may be all it was. I guess I would feel more comfortable if Jim made a basketball case for Byron. Instead he pointed to injuries (a fair point, but not an excuse for bad coaching) and talked about him being part of the exclusive Laker club. There's two reasons why he did this. One option is that a basketball case can't be made for Byron, and the other is that that stuff was valued at a premium when hiring him. I tend to think it's the latter, because there was never a good reason to hire Byron and coaching hires are the FO's biggest weakness.

I also smell something fishy in his answers about analytics. It's all fine and well that he has his own numbers, and I'm sure they have been available to staff members for several years as Jim stated in the interview. But it's pretty obvious their methods are either outdated (and it does sound like they are addressing this finally) or they're largely ignored. You can't say you've been using analytics for years and then hire a coach whose methods are diametrically opposite of what modern analytics tell you to do.

In my opinion, the Lakers typically limit their coaching hires to established names and when they surveyed the field (Hollins, Karl, Dunleavy) and didn't find anyone to their liking they went with the "Laker tradition" guy that would buy some goodwill with a section of the fanbase that likes the nostalgia aspect of it. What they should be doing is scouting a young, hungry, modern coach to go along with their new young players. There are guys out there, but they feel they need a name. An old Coach of the Year. A guy who maybe went to the Finals years ago. I like a lot of the answers Jim gave in his interview (and btw good job EP!) but I would have liked a clearer vision of how our talent should be implemented on the court. I'm not worried about us acquiring talent. I'm worried about not putting our players in the best position to succeed.
lukewaltonsdad
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:29 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:
ocho wrote:

I get that, and mentioned in my post that may be all it was. I guess I would feel more comfortable if Jim made a basketball case for Byron. Instead he pointed to injuries (a fair point, but not an excuse for bad coaching) and talked about him being part of the exclusive Laker club. There's two reasons why he did this. One option is that a basketball case can't be made for Byron, and the other is that that stuff was valued at a premium when hiring him. I tend to think it's the latter, because there was never a good reason to hire Byron and coaching hires are the FO's biggest weakness.

I also smell something fishy in his answers about analytics. It's all fine and well that he has his own numbers, and I'm sure they have been available to staff members for several years as Jim stated in the interview. But it's pretty obvious their methods are either outdated (and it does sound like they are addressing this finally) or they're largely ignored. You can't say you've been using analytics for years and then hire a coach whose methods are diametrically opposite of what modern analytics tell you to do.

In my opinion, the Lakers typically limit their coaching hires to established names and when they surveyed the field (Hollins, Karl, Dunleavy) and didn't find anyone to their liking they went with the "Laker tradition" guy that would buy some goodwill with a section of the fanbase that likes the nostalgia aspect of it. What they should be doing is scouting a young, hungry, modern coach to go along with their new young players. There are guys out there, but they feel they need a name. An old Coach of the Year. A guy who maybe went to the Finals years ago. I like a lot of the answers Jim gave in his interview (and btw good job EP!) but I would have liked a clearer vision of how our talent should be implemented on the court. I'm not worried about us acquiring talent. I'm worried about not putting our players in the best position to succeed.

Great post!. Agreed. I think Byron is here for the next 2 years whether we like it or not. The 4th year is a Team Option which I don't see the Lakers picking up.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:48 pm    Post subject:

Purp&Gold wrote:
Drifts wrote:
if the Lakers wants Kobe to take a backseat to the young guys, then it's tank time!

It's honestly tank time even with him in the front seat, He's not that good anymore.

I understand that, but at least if the Lakers play Kobe on a regular basis and not on a limited role, you'd expect him to try and make a push for the playoffs... giving him a limited role means the Lakers are trying to tank discretely.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:10 pm    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:
Purp&Gold wrote:
Drifts wrote:

I understand that, but at least if the Lakers play Kobe on a regular basis and not on a limited role, you'd expect him to try and make a push for the playoffs... giving him a limited role means the Lakers are trying to tank discretely.

FWIW, if you look at the advanced stats last season while he was playing, a more limited role would have made the team better.
http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/12212329/kobe-bryant-los-angeles-lakers-torn-rotator-cuff
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:10 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
Drifts wrote:
Purp&Gold wrote:
Drifts wrote:

FWIW, if you look at the advanced stats last season while he was playing, a more limited role would have made the team better.
http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/12212329/kobe-bryant-los-angeles-lakers-torn-rotator-cuff

that is taken out of context. hardly see anyone on the roster capable enough to lead the team to the playoffs w/out Kobe, or if Kobe remained ineffective as he was last year.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
1hu2ren3dui4
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:13 pm    Post subject:

Jeanie buss threat to hold him buss accountable smells like something Vince McMahon or the rock would be cooking in the wwe. She has no leverage to oust him.
1hu2ren3dui4
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:22 pm    Post subject:

"The man has done so much for the Lakers and the fans of the Laker nation, he deserves the money," Buss said. "I don't understand anybody trying to break down what I did for him. Let's break down what he did for us, then say, what is he worth? To me, he's worth that."

.... That's the damned truth. And it's going to pay off dividends with future megastars.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:31 pm    Post subject:

I'll never understand why people think Jim Buss is the problem. There was no way around doing a full rebuild unless Dwight had stayed. They went all in with Kobe for as long as they could but once Dwight left, they had no choice.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Jim Buss's "Pledge" -- and You Won't Like This

kobe_luver wrote:
activeverb wrote:
FROM LA TIMES INTERVIEW:

Jim Buss says: "It's not a number of wins. It's not if we make the playoffs. It's not how far we go in the playoffs," he said about the upcoming season. "It matters that we have core players, and that these guys are our future."

---

In other words, Buss is only leaving if he hasn't gathered together a group of "core players" he dislikes. (And there is no objective criteria for whether he has succeeded or failed).

Meaning, he ain't going anywhere even if the Lakers finish last in the league.

You need to read what he said again. Your quote was for at the end of this season not the end of the next one when his "deadline" is.

In April 2014, Buss told The Times he would step down from his basketball operations position "if this doesn't work in three to four years, if we're not back on top."

"I don't mind that I said that, and I live by it. If we're not back contending in two years from now, then really I haven't done a good job," Buss said. "To me, the barometer of success at the end of next year ... is if we have eight core players that are going to be Lakers for the next five years.

"It's not a number of wins. It's not if we make the playoffs. It's not how far we go in the playoffs," he said about the upcoming season. "It matters that we have core players, and that these guys are our future."

Don't fully agree, it's all about the number of wins. You can have what you believe is a core but the core has to produce, and start producing this season. FA's want to see an upward trend with the Lakers. If the team winds up with another lousy season, FA's are not coming here (Clarkson, Randle, Russell, Magic, whoever or not).
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5
Jump to: