ESPN Projects Lakers to finish 14th of 15th in the West
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:04 pm    Post subject:

golaker wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Its not like you can tank for a year or two and then suddenly, in year three win sixty games. The road from twenty to sixty wins is a multi season one. You don't just flip a switch, and you don't get to sixty by assuming because you can't get there in one season, you should go for twenty again. You have to start the climb sometime.

2008 Boston Celtics. Last place to a championship.

Yeah but they had Paul Pierce still in his prime.

I still think we'd be better off tanking again, but we would need to land a free agent star to really get going.

Well, if they were in last place what does that say about Pierce in his prime? In the East no less.
golaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:23 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
golaker wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Its not like you can tank for a year or two and then suddenly, in year three win sixty games. The road from twenty to sixty wins is a multi season one. You don't just flip a switch, and you don't get to sixty by assuming because you can't get there in one season, you should go for twenty again. You have to start the climb sometime.

I still think we'd be better off tanking again, but we would need to land a free agent star to really get going.

Well, if they were in last place what does that say about Pierce in his prime? In the East no less.

Not trying to argue with you, but I dont think it says much at all. Basketball is a team game. Pierce was an excellent player.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:35 pm    Post subject:

golaker wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
golaker wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Not trying to argue with you, but I dont think it says much at all. Basketball is a team game. Pierce was an excellent player.

Honestly, I never thought much of him until 2008. The "empty stat" tag seemed appropriate. He's a sure-fire HoFer now of course.
yuurin98
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:46 am    Post subject:

Paul Pierce was my second favorite player in 2015 playoffs.

Honestly I can really see the Rockets out of playoff conversation this year... James Harden is gonna get hurt anytime with his play style, in addition to that, Lil B's curse. B)
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:55 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
It would be nice to be out of tank mode but honestly this team just isn't very talented.

It is hard to see this team winning more than 33 games in my opinion, I hope I am wrong. And of course 33 is too many to get a pick so we are going to likely just have to suck it up again this year.

I'm constantly puzzled by this type of take. The same people who wanted us to tank (which, BTW, was almost certain to take us out of the running for prime free agents) specifically because they believe the best way to rebuild is to get premium draft talent, now are bemoaning that incremental improvement, a byproduct of developing said young talent, is a horrible thing. Its not like you can tank for a year or two and then suddenly, in year three win sixty games. The road from twenty to sixty wins is a multi season one. You don't just flip a switch, and you don't get to sixty by assuming because you can't get there in one season, you should go for twenty again. You have to start the climb sometime.

So how many games do you think the Lekers will win this season?

Maybe I will be "puzzled" by your response, they are awfully imperialistic.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:03 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
24 wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
It would be nice to be out of tank mode but honestly this team just isn't very talented.

It is hard to see this team winning more than 33 games in my opinion, I hope I am wrong. And of course 33 is too many to get a pick so we are going to likely just have to suck it up again this year.

I'm constantly puzzled by this type of take. The same people who wanted us to tank (which, BTW, was almost certain to take us out of the running for prime free agents) specifically because they believe the best way to rebuild is to get premium draft talent, now are bemoaning that incremental improvement, a byproduct of developing said young talent, is a horrible thing. Its not like you can tank for a year or two and then suddenly, in year three win sixty games. The road from twenty to sixty wins is a multi season one. You don't just flip a switch, and you don't get to sixty by assuming because you can't get there in one season, you should go for twenty again. You have to start the climb sometime.

I think in the thirties. More importantly, I think the team needs to go for wins.
yuurin98
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:18 pm    Post subject:

30-35 is realistic with this roster.
23 is the exact number if there are any major injuries.
Tony Anapolis
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:26 pm    Post subject:

Just watched the espn segment between David Thorpe and Henry Abbott. Thorpe says there are six teams in the west, and atleast four that are better then the Cavs in the east.

How can we seriously pump up some of these teams like Houston, Memphis. I mean they are good, but to say either one of these teams is top five I think is completely wrong. Maybe there are some numbers that dispute my claim, I just am not seeing it?

Why is it overlooked that GS won a title against a very handicapped team as well? I mean would Boston have took us six games in 2010 if they were missing KG and Ray Allen?
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:51 pm    Post subject:

Tony Anapolis wrote:

How can we seriously pump up some of these teams like Houston, Memphis. I mean they are good, but to say either one of these teams is top five I think is completely wrong.

I'm curious who you think the Top 5 teams in the West are if you think Houston isn't one of them. They were a 2 seed last year.
golaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:51 pm    Post subject:

Tony Anapolis wrote:
Just watched the espn segment between David Thorpe and Henry Abbott. Thorpe says there are six teams in the west, and atleast four that are better then the Cavs in the east.

How can we seriously pump up some of these teams like Houston, Memphis. I mean they are good, but to say either one of these teams is top five I think is completely wrong. Maybe there are some numbers that dispute my claim, I just am not seeing it?

Why is it overlooked that GS won a title against a very handicapped team as well? I mean would Boston have took us six games in 2010 if they were missing KG and Ray Allen?

Please rephrase.
Tony Anapolis
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:56 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Tony Anapolis wrote:

How can we seriously pump up some of these teams like Houston, Memphis. I mean they are good, but to say either one of these teams is top five I think is completely wrong.

I'm curious who you think the Top 5 teams in the West are if you think Houston isn't one of them. They were a 2 seed last year.

I mean top 5 in the league. There are alot of variables that goes into seeding. Many teams have not finished first and still won the title. My top 5 teams right now are probably:

GS
SA (All the talk about Kyrie's health, what about Tony Parker?)
CLE
OKC
LAC
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:03 pm    Post subject:

Tony Anapolis wrote:
ocho wrote:
Tony Anapolis wrote:

I mean top 5 in the league. There are alot of variables that goes into seeding. Many teams have not finished first and still won the title. My top 5 teams right now are probably:

GS
CLE
OKC
LAC

That's fine, but you certainly can't be all that surprised that Houston is considered Top 5 when they were a 2 seed in the West last season and got better over the summer.

I do think they did a disservice to Cleveland, who is pretty stacked this year, but Kyrie Irving might not play until January.
Tony Anapolis
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:08 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Tony Anapolis wrote:
ocho wrote:
Tony Anapolis wrote:

GS
CLE
OKC
LAC

That's fine, but you certainly can't be all that surprised that Houston is considered Top 5 when they were a 2 seed in the West last season and got better over the summer.

I do think they did a disservice to Cleveland, who is pretty stacked this year, but Kyrie Irving might not play until January.

I guess thats where I was trying to go with it? Just on the low though, because if you think the Cavs are good on LG, somehow you are disrespecting Kobe and the Lakers?

Memphis though, seriously Thorpe? Even OKC? I mean the potential is there, but how long has it been for KD now? Maybe to give the Rockets respect you can take OKC out and put Hou in there? I can agree with that.

Seriously though Thorpe, the Cavs are that flawed? And Hou, Mem, and especially OKC are not flawed teams?
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:11 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
24 wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

I think in the thirties. More importantly, I think the team needs to go for wins.

I think I'll take the under bet this year.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:12 pm    Post subject:

Tony Anapolis wrote:
ocho wrote:
Tony Anapolis wrote:
ocho wrote:
Tony Anapolis wrote:

GS
CLE
OKC
LAC

I guess thats where I was trying to go with it? Just on the low though, because if you think the Cavs are good on LG, somehow you are disrespecting Kobe and the Lakers?

Memphis though, seriously Thorpe? Even OKC? I mean the potential is there, but how long has it been for KD now? Maybe to give the Rockets respect you can take OKC out and put Hou in there. I can agree with that.

OKC probably has to be up near the top just because of how many wins a healthy KD/Russ/Ibaka generate. They're all healthy together pretty rarely though. Memphis I just don't get. Every season they can't make a deep run because they can't score and every summer (including this one) they fail to address it. That said they'll still probably win 50 games this season.
golaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:28 pm    Post subject:

lakerjoshua wrote:
24 wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
24 wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

Agreed. We're going to be garbage.
golaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:40 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Tony Anapolis wrote:
ocho wrote:
Tony Anapolis wrote:
ocho wrote:
Tony Anapolis wrote:

GS
CLE
OKC
LAC

Memphis though, seriously Thorpe? Even OKC? I mean the potential is there, but how long has it been for KD now? Maybe to give the Rockets respect you can take OKC out and put Hou in there. I can agree with that.

OKC probably has to be up near the top just because of how many wins a healthy KD/Russ/Ibaka generate. They're all healthy together pretty rarely though. Memphis I just don't get. Every season they can't make a deep run because they can't score and every summer (including this one) they fail to address it. That said they'll still probably win 50 games this season.

My Western Predictions:

1: WarriorsLoaded, NBA champs.
2: Thunder- Healthy MVP and Westbrook coming off his best season. It's time.
3: Spurs- They got the perfect replacement for Duncan, and they still have Duncan.
4: Clippers- Great mix of young and veteran talent, will remain a regular season force.
5: Grizzlies
6: Rockets- I see D12 having his worst season, his body is giving up on him.
7: Pelicans
8: Mavs
9: Suns
10: Timberwolves
11: Blazers
12: Jazz
13: Kings
14: Lakers
15: Nuggets
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:59 pm    Post subject:

golaker wrote:
lakerjoshua wrote:
24 wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
24 wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

Agreed. We're going to be garbage.

Even if Kobe stays healthy?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:02 pm    Post subject:

I so want this team to defy expectations. But the West is just so stacked and I have a hard time seeing this team exceed 32-33 wins. That being said, the real criteria for a successful season is to see DLo/Randle/Clarkson balling and being a place where the top free agents will come.
golaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:06 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I so want this team to defy expectations. But the West is just so stacked and I have a hard time seeing this team exceed 32-33 wins. That being said, the real criteria for a successful season is to see DLo/Randle/Clarkson balling and being a place where the top free agents will come.

I hope all 3 see at least 24mpg each
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:19 pm    Post subject:

golaker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I hope all 3 see at least 24mpg each

They probably will eventually.
BstMde83
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:27 pm    Post subject:

golaker wrote:
ocho wrote:
Tony Anapolis wrote:
ocho wrote:
Tony Anapolis wrote:
ocho wrote:
Tony Anapolis wrote:

GS
CLE
OKC
LAC

My Western Predictions:

1: WarriorsLoaded, NBA champs.
2: Thunder- Healthy MVP and Westbrook coming off his best season. It's time.
3: Spurs- They got the perfect replacement for Duncan, and they still have Duncan.
4: Clippers- Great mix of young and veteran talent, will remain a regular season force.
5: Grizzlies
6: Rockets- I see D12 having his worst season, his body is giving up on him.
7: Pelicans
8: Mavs
9: Suns
10: Timberwolves
11: Blazers
12: Jazz
13: Kings
14: Lakers
15: Nuggets

Suns, Mavs,Blazers have gotten worse , we were better than the TWolves last year yet they become better than the Lakers when we've also improved?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:29 pm    Post subject:

Agree, I see the Lakers being better than the Nuggets and Blazers. Maybe Kings as well. The Jazz is hard to guess.
BstMde83
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:32 pm    Post subject:

Rudy Gay probably gonna get traded too Lakers may not make the playoffs but I doubt we finish 14th in the west. Hibbert, Lou Williams, Randle,Bass,Russell, an Improved Clarkson and a semi healthy Kobe is worth more than 5 extra wins..
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:33 pm    Post subject:

I still see the Suns better than the Lakers. The Mavs are one injury away (and Matthews/Parsons are hurt already) from being on par with the Lakers or worse.

I see the Jazz/Kings ahead of us.

15. Nuggets
14. Blazers
13. T'Wolves
12. Lakers
11. Mavs
10. Kings
9. Suns
8. Jazz

That's how I see it. I think the T'Wolves/Lakers will be neck and neck, and the Mavs, if injuries happen, I can see the Lakers/TWolves passing them.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 12 of 20
Jump to: