Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:35 am    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
doughboy90650 wrote:
Just thinking what that NWA Family Tree added to Hip Hop. Don't think any other group had such an impact.

Cube - Mack 10, Dub C, Chris Tucker and Mike Epps in comedy

Eazy E - died too soon but Bone Thugs were huge

Dr. Dre - Snoop, Eminem, Game. Goes 1/2 with 50. Helps Xzibit go mainstream. Open doors for Warren G.

Just crazy.

Snoop --> Eastsidaz, 213 --> Kurupt, Daz, Nate Dogg

What no mention of Dresta and BG Knock Out, Hitman?
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:16 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
C M B wrote:
doughboy90650 wrote:
Just thinking what that NWA Family Tree added to Hip Hop. Don't think any other group had such an impact.

Cube - Mack 10, Dub C, Chris Tucker and Mike Epps in comedy

Eazy E - died too soon but Bone Thugs were huge

Dr. Dre - Snoop, Eminem, Game. Goes 1/2 with 50. Helps Xzibit go mainstream. Open doors for Warren G.

Just crazy.

Snoop --> Eastsidaz, 213 --> Kurupt, Daz, Nate Dogg

What no mention of Dresta and BG Knock Out, Hitman?

Lol. Just didn't do enough.
Peoples Hernandez
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:31 pm    Post subject:

Shlumpledink wrote:
Great movie. I thought Cube's son was perfect as him. The casting of the movie was excellent, as were the performances. Really enjoyed it, and recommended it to everybody no matter what their music tastes were, it's just a good story/movie.

I second this. They literally lived the classic rock star lifestyle.

"It's all entertainment" -Rasheed Wallace
marga86
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:58 pm    Post subject:

doughboy90650 wrote:
was definitely during my time period and in my neighborhood. we were seriously catching hell by one-time. they weren't lying about the Torrance Police Department. Been pulled over at least four times in Torrance and never given a citation. Just a black dude going to pick up his old lady from work after closing the restaurant.

As far as the movie, it was pretty accurate especially the Crenshaw scenes. Sunday's on Crenshaw brought out those Impalas and lowered Nissan trucks. I think it was hard to smash ten years into two hours, so they had to leave out a lot like not dwelling on Ren and Yella as much; the diss tracks from both Dre and Eazy; and obviously Dr. Dre's assault on Dee Barnes.

That group basically changed rap and hip-hop forever. Where some were kinda tiptoeing around the issue, they just came out and said what needed to be said. Funny thing was seeing some of the kids from Woodland Hills hide the tapes from parent s and asking me if it was really like that. And that bus scene with the Compton Menace was legit. Dudes usta flash gang signs on buses and thought they were safe. We actually had rocks thrown at our bus and once was shot at because of that (bleep).

All in all, it was a very enjoyable flick. Going to see it again on Sunday with the old lady. Bye Felicia.

It's gotten better in the past decade or so, but before then it was still pretty rough.. it all starts with the kids man.

I graduated from Compton high in 2004, I can't say the city was much better then.. but around 2002, a group of extremely good teachers (a lot of them administrators at LAUSD now) started a great AP program than took off.. Now it's basically the norm to go to college. My younger sis is at UCLA on a pretty good deal and it's considered standard. Good for the city.

There is still plenty of gang activity, but definitely not like it used to be.

(bleep), I remember one time there was a huge standoff between a gang and cops in my block. It was only 3 squad cars and like 30 gang members. By the time it was said and done, the cops were booking it.. lol this was back in 93ish. Crazy stuff.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:36 pm    Post subject:

Watched it last night. Left the theater very impressed.

Even if certain portions were displayed through Hollywood lenses, what a compelling tale it is.

Like CMB noted, it was at least mildly disappointing that the film portrayed Cube and Dre somewhat as boy scouts while showing pretty candid dirt on Eazy and Suge.

But it felt real. Very well cast all-around but dude that played Eazy gave an amazing performance.

Definitely worth the watch.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:37 pm    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:

Like CMB noted, it was at least mildly disappointing that the film portrayed Cube and Dre somewhat as boy scouts while showing pretty candid dirt on Eazy and Suge.

As soon as I learned that surviving members of NWA were behind the movie I lost all interest.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:42 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:

As soon as I learned that surviving members of NWA were behind the movie I lost all interest.

Yeah, that almost deterred me outright as well. That being said, I was bumping Stone Roses on repeat while NWA was making it's bones, only hearing controversy about them on the news waves and one shock-filled listen to Eazy Duz It while taking a ride with my gang banging cousin right after he got out of the joint.

So, for me, it was really the only introduction I got to the scene and the story of their ascension and fall and I found it compelling.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:49 pm    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
ocho wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:

Yeah, that almost deterred me outright as well. That being said, I was bumping Stone Roses on repeat while NWA was making it's bones, only hearing controversy about them on the news waves and one shock-filled listen to Eazy Duz It while taking a ride with my gang banging cousin right after he got out of the joint.

So, for me, it was really the only introduction I got to the scene and the story of their ascension and fall and I found it compelling.

Their story is incredibly compelling. I just wish it was being told by an impartial eye. I have great interest in the NWA story and little interest in their rosy interpretation of their own lives. It's no surprise that key events and dynamics, namely that Dre violently attacked multiple women, was conspicuously left out of the proceedings.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:42 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:
ocho wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:

Their story is incredibly compelling. I just wish it was being told by an impartial eye. I have great interest in the NWA story and little interest in their rosy interpretation of their own lives. It's no surprise that key events and dynamics, namely that Dre violently attacked multiple women, was conspicuously left out of the proceedings.

***SPOILER ALERT***

I thought they would do Jerry Heller worst than they did Suge. but what really drew the story to me was the part that after being jumped by Suge Eazy went to Heller house and told him he needed to kill Suge Knight...

Heller convinced him not too that he had too much to live for....

Years Later Heller told TMZ that he made a mistake in telling Eazy not to kill Suge Knight...

If you think about it.... Suge Knight single handedly killed Rap Music. the Kimmel Interview where he talked about how easy it is to inject people with the AIDS virus.

the PAC and Biggie Murders... Heller broke up NWA from a financial standpoint. Suge destroyed a Legacy
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:13 pm    Post subject:

LAKERSCMXCIX wrote:

If you think about it.... Suge Knight single handedly killed Rap Music. the Kimmel Interview where he talked about how easy it is to inject people with the AIDS virus.

seriously?!? He said that? So he may have been- probably is - responsible for E dying? That's some messed up ish man
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:17 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:

I just wish it was being told by an impartial eye. I have great interest in the NWA story and little interest in their rosy interpretation of their own lives. It's no surprise that key events and dynamics, namely that Dre violently attacked multiple women, was conspicuously left out of the proceedings.

Hear you, completely. Would rather get the dirt in totality. They weren't shy about exhibiting the excess of riotous living with girls and drink but that was about it.

Read earlier today that Eazy was the one who approached Heller and not the other way around (as depicted in the film). I wonder why they chose to go that route.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:20 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
LAKERSCMXCIX wrote:

seriously?!? He said that? So he may have been- probably is - responsible for E dying? That's some messed up ish man

loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:24 pm    Post subject:

Well damn.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:13 pm    Post subject:

After thinking about it, what really propels this movie from a forgettable VH1-quality biopic to a box office blast, is, interestingly enough, the musical scenes. Their music saved the movie just like it probably saved their lives...

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:12 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
After thinking about it, what really propels this movie from a forgettable VH1-quality biopic to a box office blast, is, interestingly enough, the musical scenes. Their music saved the movie just like it probably saved their lives...

Interesting take. May very well be. I mean, for me, the movie felt real and that's likely because their music was real.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:56 pm    Post subject:

i don't know. The performances for E and Cube were great. It seemed like it was actually them. That's what I loved about the movie.
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:27 pm    Post subject:

Saw it tonight, loved it.

Painted Suge as a psycho (which is probably pretty accurate), but did Heller as a bad guy who still seemed to care about Eazy in a way.

Love Cube, and think his son did a great job in the role.

Funny how Dre walked away from Death Row with nothing from it, yet he's the one with it all now, while Suge has nothing left. Karma?

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
dvdrdiscs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:28 pm    Post subject:

Moses wrote:
Saw it tonight, loved it.

Painted Suge as a psycho (which is probably pretty accurate), but did Heller as a bad guy who still seemed to care about Eazy in a way.

Love Cube, and think his son did a great job in the role.

Funny how Dre walked away from Death Row with nothing from it, yet he's the one with it all now, while Suge has nothing left. Karma?

Dre found out that the money isn't in producing music, but in producing overpriced headphones.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:42 am    Post subject:

From what i read when Dre and yella are working together there minds are totally in sync. Dre doesn't even have to speak yella knows what beats he wants what soundness wants what mix he wants that's what made those albums so great. Yella also had some great projects on his own as well I think he produced foe the love of money for btnh.

The thing I love about nwa is that all these guys had so much raw talent. And even after nwa all of them became quite successful o their own
dcastillo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:33 am    Post subject:

From what I've reed yella has directed over 300 adult films so yea they have all been successful since the nwa days!
JoJo Dancer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:23 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:
ocho wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:

There is several documentaries (Welcome to Deathrow) if you wanted to see that. This was a movie not a documentary. A very good movie at that.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:17 pm    Post subject:

JoJo Dancer wrote:
ocho wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:
ocho wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:

There is several documentaries (Welcome to Deathrow) if you wanted to see that. This was a movie not a documentary. A very good movie at that.

My understanding of the difference between documentary and narrative feature is just one of the many highlights of the film "Ocho: Tales of a Hero", written, directed, and executive produced by Ocho.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:48 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
JoJo Dancer wrote:

My understanding of the difference between documentary and narrative feature is just one of the many highlights of the film "Ocho: Tales of a Hero", written, directed, and executive produced by Ocho.

C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:02 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
"Ocho: Tales of a Hero", written, directed, and executive produced by Ocho.

2/10

The greek mentorship scenes were too graphic

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:33 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
ocho wrote:
"Ocho: Tales of a Hero", written, directed, and executive produced by Ocho.

2/10

The greek mentorship scenes were too graphic

Earned us an NC-17. Worth it.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: