OFFICIAL ROBERT UPSHAW THREAD (Cut from D League for Drug Violation pg 137)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 58, 59, 60 ... 141, 142, 143  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:41 am    Post subject:

Texas_Pete wrote:
He's been putting in work. Believes he'll be signed and can't wait for training camp: http://www.lakersnation.com/robert-upshaw-on-signing-with-lakers-i-know-that-ill-be-a-laker/2015/08/30/

I'd like to see them "roll the dice" with him.
DoubleClutch
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:12 pm    Post subject:

Texas_Pete wrote:
He's been putting in work. Believes he'll be signed and can't wait for training camp: http://www.lakersnation.com/robert-upshaw-on-signing-with-lakers-i-know-that-ill-be-a-laker/2015/08/30/

This is what I hoped was happening. Mitch basically told him that they would give him the 2 year deal if he kept doing the right things all summer and made it to training camp without any incidents. Smart move to keep him motivated and not back yourself into a corner with him too early in the process.
Finnisher
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:17 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Eric Pincus ‏@EricPincus
As I understand it, the Lakers hope to have Robert Upshaw in training camp, but he has some private personal steps he needs to achieve

Eric Pincus ‏@EricPincus
As I hear it, the Lakers have given a goal along with tremendous support to Robert Upshaw, an open door, but he has to walk through it

Eric Pincus ‏@EricPincus
Upshaw is trying to get help on this personal issues, and in doing so, has a shot to get to training camp with the Lakers

Eric Pincus ‏@EricPincus
It's different than what the Lakers did with Ronny Turiaf and his heart surgery, but some similarities with Robert Upshaw and their support
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:19 pm    Post subject:

My Stomach says Upshaw will be a Laker !

Could be gas...
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:37 pm    Post subject:

He's miles better than Black so I do understand the conundrum the Lakers are in. Under normal conditions I would say don't bother.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:08 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Eric Pincus ‏@EricPincus
There's a Twitter sense, from those who hit me up, that the Lakers are dropping some ball with Upshaw, but it's the opposite actually

Eric Pincus ‏@EricPincus
Upshaw is trying to get help on this personal issues, and in doing so, has a shot to get to training camp with the Lakers

Eric Pincus ‏@EricPincus
Robert Upshaw has battled through some personal issues that got him kicked off two different college teams
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:29 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
He's miles better than Black so I do understand the conundrum the Lakers are in. Under normal conditions I would say don't bother.

That's a good question. Is he better than Black? I'm not too sure. He does fit the rim defender mold Hibbert occupies as a starter.
So defensively, not much would change strategically if Upshaw backed up Hibbert.
But due to his mobility and overall effort level, I think Black is superior to Upshaw at the moment.
Upshaw potential > Sacre for sure though. So I'd put him as our 3rd string center on the roster.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:51 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

That's a good question. Is he better than Black? I'm not too sure. He does fit the rim defender mold Hibbert occupies as a starter.
So defensively, not much would change strategically if Upshaw backed up Hibbert.
But due to his mobility and overall effort level, I think Black is superior to Upshaw at the moment.
Upshaw potential > Sacre for sure though. So I'd put him as our 3rd string center on the roster.

I don't know how much of the summer league you watched, but just from the eye test it wasn't even close IMO.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:03 pm    Post subject:

Upshaw isn't better than anyone till he actually makes the NBA. He has more talent. But he has a LOT to prove before that actually matters.
Purp&Gold
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:29 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
kikanga wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

I don't know how much of the summer league you watched, but just from the eye test it wasn't even close IMO.

Yea Black was getting easily dominated by Jeremy Tyler until Upshaw came in and stoped the bleeding.
DoubleClutch
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:00 pm    Post subject:

Purp&Gold wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
kikanga wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

Yea Black was getting easily dominated by Jeremy Tyler until Upshaw came in and stoped the bleeding.

Should be a fun training camp with Tyler, Upshaw, Black and Sacre all competing for probably 2 spots on the final roster.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:55 pm    Post subject:

Purp&Gold wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
kikanga wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

yuurin98
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:05 pm    Post subject:

Upshaw states that he knows he is going to be a Laker.
http://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2015/8/30/9228725/la-lakers-robert-upshaw-signing
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:10 pm    Post subject:

ROBERT UPSHAW: Not Easy To Break Into The NBA With Baggage

Quote:
Breaking In With Baggage: Making it into the NBA is not easy to do. While it’s often assumed that being talented and skilled is enough to get you considered, history has proven that a lot of super talented players simply don’t have what it takes for NBA teams to make a commitment to them.

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/nba-am-not-easy-to-break-into-the-nba-with-baggage/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:50 pm    Post subject:

yuurin98 wrote:
Upshaw states that he knows he is going to be a Laker.
http://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2015/8/30/9228725/la-lakers-robert-upshaw-signing
It would be very good signing if he can come near to achieving the success of other non-drafted players such as Bruce Bowen and Ben Wallace

It would be fantastic he achieved the success of Andrew Bynum, while he should also not the factors that contributed to his quick downfall
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:25 am    Post subject:

If he slipped up on the drug thing again, and that's why he hasn't been signed, I'm fine with him being someone else's problem.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:28 am    Post subject:

Does anyone know what heart condition he has?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:23 am    Post subject:

Per Eric Pincus, LA has given him a path to making the team, but he must meet certain obligations to get there. They aren't handing him a contract until he does so.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:22 am    Post subject:

Well, good news. I am glad Upshaw is not completely out of the picture. Good luck big fella!
Sting
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:25 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
Per Eric Pincus, LA has given him a path to making the team, but he must meet certain obligations to get there. They aren't handing him a contract until he does so.
ok so it makes sense. Upshaw needs to just take care of himself and get in the best shape possible and he will get that camp invite to prove himself
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:09 am    Post subject:

Sting wrote:
24 wrote:
ok so it makes sense. Upshaw needs to just take care of himself and get in the best shape possible and he will get that camp invite to prove himself

As if "just" changing one's attitude about drug-life-work balance were that easy ...
Sting
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:14 am    Post subject:

70sdude wrote:
Sting wrote:
24 wrote:

As if "just" changing one's attitude about drug-life-work balance were that easy ...
he has never been an addict... sure he might of did some weed and coke and party ... time to grow up and be a professional. I been following this kid since HS...he can do it..
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:21 am    Post subject:

I wonder if it's the heart condition/physical conditioning or off-the-court issues. Maybe both, but with all the social media out there haven't heard/seen Upshaw getting into trouble.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:24 am    Post subject:

Sting wrote:
70sdude wrote:
Sting wrote:
24 wrote:

he has never been an addict... sure he might of did some weed and coke and party ... time to grow up and be a professional. I been following this kid since HS...he can do it..

if he can't stop long enough to get drafted or make a team's roster on an unguaranteed contract, he's an addict.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Sting
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:27 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:
Sting wrote:
70sdude wrote:
Sting wrote:
24 wrote:

if he can't stop long enough to get drafted or make a team's roster on an unguaranteed contract, he's an addict.
who said he did drugs this off season? source?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 58, 59, 60 ... 141, 142, 143  Next
Page 59 of 143
Jump to: