Ryan West Promoted To Director Of Player Personnel
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:31 am    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:
^ Either way it's good to see people rise in the ranks as a result of talent, not nepotism (assuming Jerry West didn't convince Jimbo to give Ryan a promotion ).

Yeah, the inside word has been that Ryan is the heir apparent to Mitch.
2Cleva
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:36 am    Post subject:

Funny how people applaud nepotism and cronyism when its someone they like.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:51 am    Post subject:

2Cleva wrote:

Yup.
LoyalLakerfan44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:00 pm    Post subject:

Finally they're moving in the right direction.
1hu2ren3dui4
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:16 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
2Cleva wrote:

Yup.

I was literally about to use the words ironic and nepotism in a post. Thanks for almost saving me the trouble.
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:01 am    Post subject:

Keeping J. West a "friendly" by promoting his son is a smart move. It's not about Ryan it's about keeping daddy, J West a friendly to J Buss. J West will have major power in the Lakers organization for as long as he is alive, this is about keeping J West happy IMO.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:20 am    Post subject:

How about not acting like Ryan didn't deserve this for one. As if the Lakers did him a favor. He's been pretty proven over the last few seasons.

Ryan's pretty darn good and well deserving.
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:57 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
How about not acting like Ryan didn't deserve this for one. As if the Lakers did him a favor. He's been pretty proven over the last few seasons.

Ryan's pretty darn good and well deserving.

What exactly has West done? Lakers management has been the worst in the NBA, or at least in the west the last few seasons. Generally accomplishment determines how well management has done. What exactly has West done/accomplish to deserve the accolades he is getting? I'm all for West succeeding, but before we give him credit we have to see accomplishment. Accomplishment in sports is generally is measured by wins.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:59 am    Post subject:

Voices wrote:
Keeping J. West a "friendly" by promoting his son is a smart move. It's not about Ryan it's about keeping daddy, J West a friendly to J Buss. J West will have major power in the Lakers organization for as long as he is alive, this is about keeping J West happy IMO.

If you think giving Ryan a promotion he didn't deserve would make Jerry West happy, then you don't know Jerry West.
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:18 am    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
Voices wrote:

If you think giving Ryan a promotion he didn't deserve would make Jerry West happy, then you don't know Jerry West.

Jerry West would have fired himself if he was presiding over this Laker team.
Jerry is no different than most fathers they want their children to succeed and are willing to overlook things that they would not normally overlook. Is Ryan doing a good job, please show me the results of his actions.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:55 am    Post subject:

Voices wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:
Voices wrote:

Yet Jerry allows his son to work for the Lakers when Ryan has plenty of other teams interested in him?
That doesn't make sense.
Voices wrote:
Jerry is no different than most fathers they want their children to succeed and are willing to overlook things that they would not normally overlook.
That is not success to Jerry West, and he would never allow it. West is overwhelmingly hypercritical, and not prone to overlooking anything, especially his own son being a burden to the Lakers because of him.
Voices wrote:
Is Ryan doing a good job, please show me the results of his actions.
The Lakers have completely restructured their scouting department and value Ryan's contributions. As a fan, I understand that you want to reserve judgment until it can be quantified in wins and losses, but the Lakers have seen enough in his day to day performance to justify the promotion and secure his future services.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:55 am    Post subject:

West's other son Jonnie, the one who played at West Virginia, was also promoted as an executive last year by the Warriors.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:19 am    Post subject:

2Cleva wrote:

Not when you consider the applause is a result of successes.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:33 am    Post subject:

Voices wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:
Voices wrote:

Jerry is no different than most fathers they want their children to succeed and are willing to overlook things that they would not normally overlook. Is Ryan doing a good job, please show me the results of his actions.

Jordan Clarkson is a good place to start.
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:49 am    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
Voices wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:
Voices wrote:

Yet Jerry allows his son to work for the Lakers when Ryan has plenty of other teams interested in him?
That doesn't make sense.
Voices wrote:
Jerry is no different than most fathers they want their children to succeed and are willing to overlook things that they would not normally overlook.
That is not success to Jerry West, and he would never allow it. West is overwhelmingly hypercritical, and not prone to overlooking anything, especially his own son being a burden to the Lakers because of him.
Voices wrote:
The Lakers have completely restructured their scouting department and value Ryan's contributions. As a fan, I understand that you want to reserve judgment until it can be quantified in wins and losses, but the Lakers have seen enough in his day to day performance to justify the promotion and secure his future services.

The difference between us is that I do not have any respect for this Lakers management group. Until this management group produces on the court I will continue to be pessimistic. When this current Lakers team shows potential by producing on the court then I will jump on the bandwagon. I am not going to be unrealistic, progress is not only wins but also attitude on the court. Until that happens nothing has been accomplished by this Lakers management group, including JW son.
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:49 am    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
Voices wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:
Voices wrote:

That doesn't make sense.
Voices wrote:
Voices wrote:

The difference between us is that I do not have any respect for this Lakers management group. Until this management group produces on the court I will continue to be pessimistic. When this current Lakers team shows potential by producing on the court then I will jump on the bandwagon. I am not going to be unrealistic, progress is not only wins but also attitude on the court. Until that happens nothing has been accomplished by this Lakers management group, including JW son.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:04 pm    Post subject:

Voices wrote:

Don't sweat it. Everything is going according to "the plan"...

On the topic, the nepotism and cronyism charges are certainly valid when it comes to the children of executives. Jonnie West for instance is sharing a position with Patrick Sund, the son of the long-time NBA executive Rick Sund. It's just how the world works. Whether these kids are competent and making the best of their breaks is a different story.
yuurin98
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:00 pm    Post subject:

I just hope Jerry or Magic can buy the Lakers already.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:02 pm    Post subject:

yuurin98 wrote:

Yeah, good luck with that.
yuurin98
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:02 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
yuurin98 wrote:

Yeah, good luck with that.

Let's find a way to revive Dr. Buss.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:43 am    Post subject:

I feel like they did this because Sacramento was trying to poach him
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:21 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
I feel like they did this because Sacramento was trying to poach him

He is viewed as Mitch's successor.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: