Why didn't James Worthy start in the 93 Playoffs vs Phoenix?

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
R-Tistic
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:19 pm    Post subject: Why didn't James Worthy start in the 93 Playoffs vs Phoenix?

They're showing Game 5 of that heartbreaking series right now on NBA TV, and I realized that Worthy wasn't starting. I looked it up, and it shows that Worthy played all 82 games, started 69, but came off the bench in all five games in the series. It just looks weird to see AC Green out there as the starting SF.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
Lakerfan 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:57 pm    Post subject:

Season ending ankle surgery in 1992. Just wasn't the same player after that.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:05 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, Big Game's decline was a rapid one. He was actually never the same after he twisted his ankle prior to the '91 Finals against the Bulls.
R-Tistic
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:18 pm    Post subject:

Lakerfan 4 Life wrote:
Season ending ankle surgery in 1992. Just wasn't the same player after that.

Ahh, I remember that. Just figured he was all right since he played most of 92-93.

I was 8 in 92-93, so I watched most games, but can't remember the specifics like that. I just remember being extremely hype when we won the first two games against Phoenix.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
sAM sHILE
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Why didn't James Worthy start in the 93 Playoffs vs Phoenix?

R-Tistic wrote:
They're showing Game 5 of that heartbreaking series right now on NBA TV, and I realized that Worthy wasn't starting. I looked it up, and it shows that Worthy played all 82 games, started 69, but came off the bench in all five games in the series. It just looks weird to see AC Green out there as the starting SF.

This may help. Worthy is at SF and AC is at PF

Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Why didn't James Worthy start in the 93 Playoffs vs Phoenix?

R-Tistic wrote:

But AC ate up the glass in that series. The Suns were impressed, and AC walked to them in free agency the very next year. But it was okay, it was time for us to rebuild.
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:03 am    Post subject:

[quote="R-Tistic"]
Lakerfan 4 Life wrote:
Season ending ankle surgery in 1992. Just wasn't the same player after that.[/quote

Ahh, I remember that. Just figured he was all right since he played most of 92-93.

I was 8 in 92-93, so I watched most games, but can't remember the specifics like that. I just remember being extremely hype when we won the first two games against Phoenix.

Same here. I was laughing out loud when Westphal guaranteed they would come back and win the series afterwards.

Big Game just barely missed a wide open, corner key jumper that would've won game 3 and then Barkley's put back in game 5 that was clearly after the shot clock buzzer basically sealed it.

It still peeves me that Sedale didn't get the last shot in regulation (dude was money going to his left) and we settled for a 35-foot 3 pointer from Byron
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:29 pm    Post subject:

Lakers could have beat the Bulls in 91 if not for injuries. Same with the 89 Finals. Really cry-worthy series both for fans.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:25 pm    Post subject:

You ask why was AC replacing Worthy in the playoffs. I got the 1st gm of that 93 season at LAC. In OT, James had 22 points and Randy Pfund (his 1st gm as head coach) pulled him and put AC in there. I've got it on to see what happened. Chick and Stu openly questioned the move, but Stu said it was probably to better chase Kiki V around on screen plays. AC was a little quicker. Pfund pretty much asserted in the season's first game that James had lost a noticeable step defensively (which he did).

PS: I got up a game from 94 where Nique was on the Clippers and Magic as coach sat James too. By 94, Worthy was a shell. Note that at the end of this game RAMBIS(!) was in there. He started the year as an assistant coach and got activated as a player later on. James retired in October during training camp. He played in a few preseason gms in 94/5 and let go after seeing Ced and Jones.

Last edited by non-player zealot on Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:28 pm    Post subject:

oasisdude77 wrote:

Big Game just barely missed a wide open, corner key jumper that would've won game 3

Vividly remember watching that game at a friend's house over a Little Ceaser's pizza (eww). That ending was so tantalizing. We almost had em. The final score of that series, the bitter truth: our former stars couldn't knock down the winners when they needed to. That's a sign that an era is over. And it was. It was an extremely valiant performance though. James spiked the ball at the buzzer of Gm 2.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:30 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
You ask why was AC replacing Worthy in the playoffs. I got the 1st gm of that 93 season at LAC. In OT, James had 22 points and Randy Pfund (his 1st gm as head coach) pulled him and put AC in there. I've got it on to see what happened. Chick and Stu openly questioned the move, but Stu said it was probably to better chase Kiki V around on screen plays. AC was a little quicker. Pfund pretty much asserted in the season's first game that James had lost a noticeable step defensively (which he did).

PS: I got up a game from 94 where Nique was on the Clippers and Magic as coach sat James too. By 94, Worthy was a shell. Note that at the end of this game RAMBIS(!) was in there. He started the year as an assistant coach and got activated as a player later on. James retired in October during training camp. He played in a few preseason gms in 94/5 and let go after seeing Ced and Jones.

]
Ahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!! Great game! Aw man, gonna make me cry or something...
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:48 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
oasisdude77 wrote:

Big Game just barely missed a wide open, corner key jumper that would've won game 3

Vividly remember watching that game at a friend's house over a Little Ceaser's pizza (eww). That ending was so tantalizing. We almost had em. The final score of that series, the bitter truth: our former stars couldn't knock down the winners when they needed to. That's a sign that an era is over. And it was. It was an extremely valiant performance though. James spiked the ball at the buzzer of Gm 2.

Oh man, that was badassery defined right there.

Valiant effort, indeed. That team had no business winning one game let alone taking them the distance and, quite frankly, even outplaying them in game 5
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:55 pm    Post subject:

Worthy was a shell of his former self in his final years. Those injuries took a lot out of his game as a player.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:06 am    Post subject:

I'm glad I didn't see that series and didn't become a fan until months later. Amazing they were that competitive with Phoenix. The first Laker game I ever watched was the season opener in LA against the Suns only months later which was a Laker victory. I remember Mike Piazza and Tommy Lasorda were at the game and I also remember Barkley scoring a bunch of points.

I looked it up and Barkley had 38 points. No wonder why I remember him. Also, Trevor Wilson and Antonio Harvey were in the Lakers starting lineup? What? I don't remember Tony Smith either and he was also starting. And A.C. Green had 25 points and 8 rebounds for the Suns.

I'll have to admit I didn't watch that 93-94 Laker team much because it seemed like they were always losing when a game was on and they didn't do much to excite me after that Phoenix game. I just remember some excitement after Magic came back to coach but that didn't last for very long.

I appreciated the 94-95 team a lot more and that team was actually fun to watch.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:10 am    Post subject:

Here is a link to a boxscore from the 93-94 season opener against the Suns.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/199311050LAL.html
yuurin98
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:08 pm    Post subject:

Charles Barkley had 4 steals and 4 blocks?! O_o
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:16 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
I'm glad I didn't see that series and didn't become a fan until months later. Amazing they were that competitive with Phoenix. The first Laker game I ever watched was the season opener in LA against the Suns only months later which was a Laker victory. I remember Mike Piazza and Tommy Lasorda were at the game and I also remember Barkley scoring a bunch of points.

I looked it up and Barkley had 38 points. No wonder why I remember him. Also, Trevor Wilson and Antonio Harvey were in the Lakers starting lineup? What? I don't remember Tony Smith either and he was also starting. And A.C. Green had 25 points and 8 rebounds for the Suns.

I'll have to admit I didn't watch that 93-94 Laker team much because it seemed like they were always losing when a game was on and they didn't do much to excite me after that Phoenix game. I just remember some excitement after Magic came back to coach but that didn't last for very long.

I appreciated the 94-95 team a lot more and that team was actually fun to watch.

Didn't Worthy get all up in AC's face that game as well?

That was also Nick Van Exel's NBA and Laker debut, which we all know was a rousing success.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:19 pm    Post subject:

Lakers had a chance to sweep the Suns if Vlade didn't fancy himself a 3-point shooter in game 3. Was that also the game where there was a charge that wasn't called because the player ran over Vlade? It was a terrible no-call that did swing momentum.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:21 pm    Post subject:

Big Game James was huge in the final moments of game 5 to send it to OT. Of all the people to step up in OT, the Lakers lose to fat Oliver Miller.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:21 am    Post subject:

oasisdude77 wrote:
Steve007 wrote:

That was also Nick Van Exel's NBA and Laker debut, which we all know was a rousing success.

I don't remember. I was just a kid and unfortunately didn't know who Worthy was. I didn't know who Van Exel was either. Feels kind of strange for me to write that. How could I not know who Worthy was? Lol but I was just a kid watching his very first Laker game.

I had a much better idea of what was going on a year later. I remember being excited about Ceballos joining the team and thinking that I would finally see the Lakers in the playoffs. And of course Eddie Jones was added to the roster.
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:51 am    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
oasisdude77 wrote:
Steve007 wrote:

I don't remember. I was just a kid and unfortunately didn't know who Worthy was. I didn't know who Van Exel was either. Feels kind of strange for me to write that. How could I not know who Worthy was? Lol but I was just a kid watching his very first Laker game.

I had a much better idea of what was going on a year later. I remember being excited about Ceballos joining the team and thinking that I would finally see the Lakers in the playoffs. And of course Eddie Jones was added to the roster.

All of us have a different perspective, I was introduced to the Lakers because of my husband way back in the later 60's, he followed them as a small kid all the way back when they moved to LA from Minneapolis and remembers West as a rookie and of course all those great years when Baylor was unparalleled before his knee problems emerged. Those were the days
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: