OFFICIAL LAKERS YOUTH MOVEMENT THREAD...A Place to Discuss Our Young Players (Not Swaggy P)!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yuurin98
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:27 pm    Post subject:

It doesn't matter whether they start together or not imo.
It's about the minutes they'll play together.

Hopefully Russell and Clarkson will start together, but not Randle, he has to fight for it.
However, I can still see Russell not starting on opening night.
I can see the starting lineup of this on opening night.
PG Clarkson
SG Young
SF Bryant
PF Bass
C Hibbert

Best chance to win is to run plays like the Spurs. Ball movement is very important.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:59 am    Post subject:

I thought about starting a separate thread for this, but maybe this thread is the best place.

Which young core do you guys prefer?

Clarkson, Russell, Randle
LaVine, Wiggins, Towns
Payton, Hezonja, Gordon

Not so much in terms of accomplishments because none of them have accomplished much. But in terms of fit, play style, mentality, potential, and how you think the game of basketball should be played.

In all honesty I really like where our young core stands in this. If I could pick any of the groups to be Lakers I'd take ours. I think they're the most complete package
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
lukewaltonsdad
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:03 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:
I thought about starting a separate thread for this, but maybe this thread is the best place.

LaVine, Wiggins, Towns
Payton, Hezonja, Gordon

Not so much in terms of accomplishments because none of them have accomplished much. But in terms of fit, play style, mentality, potential, and how you think the game of basketball should be played.

In all honesty I really like where our young core stands in this. If I could pick any of the groups to be Lakers I'd take ours. I think they're the most complete package

Wiggins is going to be a superstar. Towns is going to be really, really, good, IMO. LaVine is promising. The Lakers would have selected Towns before Russell. In all honesty, I have to go with the Timberwolves right now.

That may change at the end of the year, but I"ve seen more of Wiggins and Lavine at the NBA level than I have Randle/Russell currently.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:12 am    Post subject:

lukewaltonsdad wrote:
22 wrote:

LaVine, Wiggins, Towns
Payton, Hezonja, Gordon

Wiggins is going to be a superstar. Towns is going to be really, really, good, IMO. LaVine is promising. The Lakers would have selected Towns before Russell. In all honesty, I have to go with the Timberwolves right now.

That may change at the end of the year, but I"ve seen more of Wiggins and Lavine at the NBA level than I have Randle/Russell currently.

I can't really argue with that. But where I side with our core over Minny is in mentality.

LaVine is immensely talented, but I think he'll be one of those who always loses the game due to a bone headed play or lapse in judgement. I don't think he'll be able to stay focused and locked in for 48 min. Wiggins I think my prove to be too passive. I don't have those concerns about any of our 3
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
lukewaltonsdad
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:17 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:
lukewaltonsdad wrote:
22 wrote:

LaVine, Wiggins, Towns
Payton, Hezonja, Gordon

I can't really argue with that. But where I side with our core over Minny is in mentality.

LaVine is immensely talented, but I think he'll be one of those who always loses the game due to a bone headed play or lapse in judgement. I don't think he'll be able to stay focused and locked in for 48 min. Wiggins I think my prove to be too passive. I don't have those concerns about any of our 3

Gotcha. That's fair. If Randle and Russell can turn out what I think they can be, then I'd take our core. Right now, I have to see it, though.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:21 am    Post subject:

lukewaltonsdad wrote:

Gotcha. That's fair. If Randle and Russell can turn out what I think they can be, then I'd take our core. Right now, I have to see it, though.

agreed that's fair too. LaVine and Wiggins have a full year of playing experience advantage.

Should be a fun year! I can see a little LA vs Minny rivalry developing
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:24 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:

LaVine, Wiggins, Towns
Payton, Hezonja, Gordon

I can't really consider your Magic core since you did not include their best player (Oladipo). But I think the T-Wolves are better atm.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:28 pm    Post subject:

30 wrote:
22 wrote:

LaVine, Wiggins, Towns
Payton, Hezonja, Gordon

I can't really consider your Magic core since you did not include their best player (Oladipo). But I think the T-Wolves are better atm.

I was only looking at players drafted in the last two years. And this is just me spitballing, but I don't see Oladipo being a main cog on that team in a few year. I think he was a good stoop gap for them but will be traded off once Payton, Hezonja, Gordon hit full stride
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:13 pm    Post subject:

lukewaltonsdad wrote:
22 wrote:

LaVine, Wiggins, Towns
Payton, Hezonja, Gordon

I agree. If Minny offered a Wiggins/Towns/LaVine trade for Clarkson/Russell/Randle, I'd take it in a second.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:29 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
30 wrote:
22 wrote:

LaVine, Wiggins, Towns
Payton, Hezonja, Gordon

I was only looking at players drafted in the last two years. And this is just me spitballing, but I don't see Oladipo being a main cog on that team in a few year. I think he was a good stoop gap for them but will be traded off once Payton, Hezonja, Gordon hit full stride

Ok. Then my rankings would be T-Wolves, Lakers, Magic. I dont think Oladipo gets traded off or is a stop-gap. He had an amazing end to the season last year and I think the Magic trade Tobias to make way for Hezonja.
yuurin98
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:48 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, I think the Timberwolves' young core are better too.
However I can see Clarkson being better than Wiggins right now, not sure after a few years tho.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:44 pm    Post subject:

Bump.

Don't think the 3 young guys should start together. Someone should come off the bench. Stole this from the game thread. But I think it's worth reposting.

Kblo247! wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
Kblo247! wrote:
Next logical step is benching 1 of the three young guys .. They are too bad defensively. Kobe is still offering more one on one and so Nick and Lou. You almost need Metta, Nance, and Black to cover for Clarkson and Russell getting beat all the time. You can at least hide Randle's problems with better back court D.

Dude, seriously? I can literally only count a couple times per game that Russell gets beat badly. IMO he's already an ok defender and will only get better as he matures. People need today that to rest already.
I said one of them. Clarkson is easily the worst perimeter defender of himself, Kobe, Russell, Nick, Lou, and MEtta ... but he has Byron excusing him and he can score. Both of them can't start together. Clarkson is too bad on D, the offense stalls, and Russell can't score with him enough to off set the opposing back court. I much rather see Russell play with Lou and Metta, then have Nick start. Nick is by far a better SG defender and as we have seen Sf's aren't lighting Kobe up. If we add the fact Nick spaces the floor better than everyone else into account, we at least can make moves along the perimeter and let Kobe make the offensive reads.

If Russell is only playing 20 minutes, do it behind Clarkson. Let Lou and Nick split the SG spot, and let Kobe/Metta split SF in 7 and 4 minute increment stints.

Scott is too bad a defensive coach to correct mistakes. JC and Randle are far too lazy to start alongside another rookie who isn't adding a double digit contribution to offset the opponents. They need to be broken up. Russell plays better D but he's simply so marginalized in the back court alignment that it is not funny. Nick can offset the offensive punch we are losing and play better D on sg's. Clarkson will continue to be bad but at least you may win the back court which gives you a better shot to win the game

fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:13 am    Post subject:

Bumping this thread about The Core. Too much talk about Clarkson, Russell, and Randle not being able to play together, about flipping roles, benching someone, or even trading them.

Over the past five games their 3 man group have the following efficiency ratings on the floor together:

Offensive rating 101.6
Defensive rating 91.1
Net rating +10.5

Going against mostly starters in 105 total minutes, that's pretty impressive.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:25 am    Post subject:

lukewaltonsdad wrote:
22 wrote:

LaVine, Wiggins, Towns
Payton, Hezonja, Gordon

I like Clarkson over Lavine, but KAT is a true big and Wiggins have the tools to suceed while I still have doubts about Russel's motor.
Dilla_
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:10 pm    Post subject:

Yesterday was the best game all three have had together so far. The more minutes they all get playing with one another will only make them better. I want to see all three in the 4th quarter more as well.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:18 pm    Post subject:

One thing I really liked from last night's game was how often all three were playing downhill. Lots of excellent work in transition. I remember when OKC started to emerge, I had the same feeling about their young guys, where they were off to the races every chance that they got. Damn shame our coach 2nd unit blew that game. Would have been nice to reward the young guys for an excellent performance.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:19 pm    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
Bumping this thread about The Core. Too much talk about Clarkson, Russell, and Randle not being able to play together, about flipping roles, benching someone, or even trading them.

Over the past five games their 3 man group have the following efficiency ratings on the floor together:

Offensive rating 101.6
Defensive rating 91.1
Net rating +10.5

Going against mostly starters in 105 total minutes, that's pretty impressive.

Happy to see them clicking together.
Huertas wasn't in the rotation at all. But we still failed to stagger Russell and Clarkson's minutes at the PG position. And it killed us. All you have to look at is the +/- of our team across the board. Most of our starters were +20 compared to their backups (by position). Which is remarkable considering none of our bench players played over 19 minutes.
AC Green's V-Card
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:02 pm    Post subject:

yuurin98 wrote:
However I can see Clarkson being better than Wiggins right now, not sure after a few years tho.

I don't believe that's even true now. You have to look at the complete games of both, and Clarkson is no where near Wiggins on the defensive end. Wiggins is a borderline shutdown wing at 20 years old, while Clarkson is struggling with fundamentals (stance, shuffling, staying in front of his man). Wiggins is easily better than Clarkson, and I don't think it's particularly close, either.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:13 pm    Post subject:

AC Green's V-Card wrote:
yuurin98 wrote:

I don't believe that's even true now. You have to look at the complete games of both, and Clarkson is no where near Wiggins on the defensive end. Wiggins is a borderline shutdown wing at 20 years old, while Clarkson is struggling with fundamentals (stance, shuffling, staying in front of his man). Wiggins is easily better than Clarkson, and I don't think it's particularly close, either.

what wings is wiggins shutting down?
AC Green's V-Card
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:19 pm    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
AC Green's V-Card wrote:
yuurin98 wrote:

Jimmy Butler went 4/15, 0 of 7 from distance with 5 turnovers when he was guarded by Wiggins two weeks ago.
AllorNothing
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:37 pm    Post subject:

AC Green's V-Card wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
AC Green's V-Card wrote:
yuurin98 wrote:

Jimmy Butler went 4/15, 0 of 7 from distance with 5 turnovers when he was guarded by Wiggins two weeks ago.

Haven't really followed wiggins buy why is his shooting percentage lower than last years and its only 42..percent. Nasty
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:09 pm    Post subject:

AC Green's V-Card wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
AC Green's V-Card wrote:
yuurin98 wrote:

you had luol that dropped his numbers on em, jeff green, paul george....... i'm just saying that it's hard to stop players that are good; some times they stop themselves and not the player in front of them; but I will say that he has played better defense than jordan clarkson, but clarkson is the better offensive player at this point. wiggins have room to grow and he's more of a main focus for the wolves than clarkson is with the lakers.
AC Green's V-Card
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:03 am    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
AC Green's V-Card wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
AC Green's V-Card wrote:
yuurin98 wrote:

you had luol that dropped his numbers on em, jeff green, paul george....... i'm just saying that it's hard to stop players that are good; some times they stop themselves and not the player in front of them; but I will say that he has played better defense than jordan clarkson, but clarkson is the better offensive player at this point. wiggins have room to grow and he's more of a main focus for the wolves than clarkson is with the lakers.

You may be interested to know that he's keeping opponents to the lowest shooting percentage 15+ feet out of all the best defensive wings in the league.

Jimmy Butler - 42.2%
Kris Middleton - 40.3%
Tony Allen - 38.6%
Kawhi Leonard - 37.7%
Andrew Wiggins - 30.1%
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:45 am    Post subject:

Our youngster face a stern test tonight. I hope they give 110%effort and leave it all on the floor. They will learn and grow from the experience.
av3773
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:57 am    Post subject:

I'm wondering if we might be soon getting to a point where it makes sense for the lakers to dismantle the veterans from the team for youth/and or picks

1) This would increase the playing time for the young guys so we can actually see how well they might grow together

2) Get us some additional younger assets

3) And as much as I don't like to say it, puts us in a more likely position to keep our pick this year

Personally if that happened I'd move Kobe to the bench, because if we are in that situation playing Kobe doesn't do much for us. I'd rather the young guys absorb the playing time
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 10 of 13
Jump to: