Boston withdraws bid for 2024 Summer Olympic Games.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:08 pm    Post subject:

gumby wrote:
ocho wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
ocho wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:
In 84 everyone thought that it was going to be a traffic nightmare. Many people took their vacation to see the games or just left town to miss the traffic horror. The mayor un fact suggested the citizens do just that. Amazingly enough traffic was not an issue at all. I was able to drive from Rosemead to the Forum to watch basketball at around 800 am on a weekday the traffic was so minimal it was like 600 am on a random Sunday. Best 2 weeks of traffic ever in LA that I can remember.

Los Angeles Population:

1980 2,966,850
2014 3,928,864

Well, we actually have light rail, a subway and train system now.....
Plus our freeways are much wider now...
It remains whether the IOC will choose LA since most of our infrastructure is already in place, or in the process of being built already....the potential new NFL stadium in Inglewood and new MLS stadium at the site of the LA Sports Arena. From the time we last hosted the Olympics, we have a refurbished Pauly Pavillion, the new USC Galen Center, Staples Center, the Stub Hub Center, the Rose Bowl has been renovated and the Coliseum is undergoing renovations in the future. Honda Center and Angels Stadium down in the OC are also available if needed if they need more venues. Although all these probably isn't shiny enough for the IOC if other hosts are going to build brand new spanking venues.
Also this would be the 3rd time hosting if it were selected so its a safe choice.

I will contribute money to the IOC if they don't put the Olympics in LA.

Relax. You can always take a vacation. I hear Afghanistan is lovely during the summer.

Seriously, this isn't a given but if LA gets it, it will be years from now.

Bye.

What's the weather like in Afghanistan around that time of year? Are the people there all pretending to like sports that they don't care about?
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:41 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Los Angeles got the Special Olympics this year. Obviously not nearly close in size, but still fairly noteworthy.

Very big difference between the two. I think all the events at the Special Olympics are free to attend other than the opening and closing ceremonies. Also most of the crowds for the Special Olympics events are smaller than for most high school sports.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:34 pm    Post subject:

http://www.dailybreeze.com/article/20150826/NEWS/150829657

Quote:
The preliminary list of potential sports event venues are:

• Sepulveda Dam (archery, equestrian, shooting, canoe slalom, modern pentathlon)

• Hollywood Boulevard, including Hollywood and Highland (marathon, walking, road cycling)

• Griffith Park (mountain biking, BMX)

• Wilson Golf Course (golf)

• Memorial Coliseum (opening and closing ceremonies, track and field)

• Staples Center (gymnastics, trampoline, basketball)

• Microsoft Theater (fencing)

• Convention Center (badminton, table tennis, wrestling, rhythmic gymnastics, handball, martial arts)

• USC’s Galen Center (boxing)

• Shrine Auditorium (weight lifting)

• Dodger Stadium (baseball, softball)

• Santa Monica Beach (volleyball, triathlon, open-water swimming)

• Pacific Coast Highway (cycling time trials)

• UCLA’s Pauley Pavilion (basketball prelims) and Drake Stadium (field hockey)

• L.A. Tennis Center (temporary conversion for water polo)

• StubHub Center soccer stadium (rugby)

• StubHub tennis stadium (tennis)

• Velodrome (cycling)
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:20 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
ocho wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:
In 84 everyone thought that it was going to be a traffic nightmare. Many people took their vacation to see the games or just left town to miss the traffic horror. The mayor un fact suggested the citizens do just that. Amazingly enough traffic was not an issue at all. I was able to drive from Rosemead to the Forum to watch basketball at around 800 am on a weekday the traffic was so minimal it was like 600 am on a random Sunday. Best 2 weeks of traffic ever in LA that I can remember.

Los Angeles Population:

1980 2,966,850
2014 3,928,864

That covers just a tiny portion of this sprawling city.

Quote:

Not really. A few sections of a couple of them have been widened, but with no real increase in traffic flow. Just look at the 405. It's wider now, and every bit as slow as it ever was.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:58 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
ocho wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:

Los Angeles Population:

1980 2,966,850
2014 3,928,864

That covers just a tiny portion of this sprawling city.

Quote:

Not really. A few sections of a couple of them have been widened, but with no real increase in traffic flow. Just look at the 405. It's wider now, and every bit as slow as it ever was.

Mainly because they flow into the same bottlenecks that have stayed the same. In fact, more lanes, more congestion trying to get into that bottleneck.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Big Game James
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:29 am    Post subject:

The only good I can see that could come from the Olympics coming to LA, is the fact that the IOC requires improvements to the city. My hope is that the focus would be on our traffic. Thus, in the long run, we could actually benefit from this!
easybreeze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:00 pm    Post subject:

It turned out there was less traffic on the streets during the 84 games. I rode my bike to work the first week of the games. It was so light I got back in my car.
pmacla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:06 pm    Post subject:

if LA gets it how about Kobe to light the torch at the Coliseum he is a 2 time Gold medalist and an LA Icon
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:24 pm    Post subject:

Would make a nice tourism video....
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:39 pm    Post subject:

http://abc7.com/sports/los-angeles-proposes-ucla-as-athlete-village-for-2024-olympics/1173294/
frijolero01
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:33 pm    Post subject:

Hope we get it again. I was too young (1 year old) to remember 84. It would be exactly 40 years.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:20 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
http://abc7.com/sports/los-angeles-proposes-ucla-as-athlete-village-for-2024-olympics/1173294/

Eh....

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:27 pm    Post subject:

Keep in mind there will be the new Inglewood Palace as well.. Would probably be better than the Coliseum/Rose Bowl for Opening/Closing Ceremonies and Track and Field
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:29 pm    Post subject:

Since I don't live in LA, I'd love for LA to get it! I'd still be close enough to go, but wouldn't have to deal with the traffic and tourists on a day to day basis, and also won't have to deal with the financial ruin that the city would undoubtedly end up in
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:15 am    Post subject:

AY2043 wrote:
Keep in mind there will be the new Inglewood Palace as well.. Would probably be better than the Coliseum/Rose Bowl for Opening/Closing Ceremonies and Track and Field

Would be nice but I think they will probably keep it at the Coliseum since it has everything in place (Olympic cauldron) plus its in a more central location, and by then the Coliseum renovations would be completed already.
Whats interesting is that they are going to hold the swimming events inside a temporary pool in the new soccer stadium on the site of the current LA Sports Arena.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:09 am    Post subject:

AY2043 wrote:

>inglewood
>"palace"

There's a motel near on Century called "Tivoli". I don't think it's a UNESCO heritage site.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:52 am    Post subject:

AY2043 wrote:

I don't think the new stadium is going to be configured properly for international track and field events (though perhaps could be), but even if it were, there'd be no way they would pass on the historical aspect of having the ceremonies take place in the Coliseum.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:38 am    Post subject:

Also the problem with the new stadium is that you probably won't have Air Force/Navy pre-game flybys without shutting down the air traffic around the airport. Its directly in the flightpath of planes landing at LAX. I'm sure the new stadium will be used if they do get rewarded the Olympics, I'm not sure they'll get the big events like an opening/closing ceremony because lets face it was built for NFL football first. Also you have to consider that LA's bid, most of the events were concentrated around downtown LA using Staples Center, Galen Center, LA convention center, future MLS soccer stadium, and LA Coliseum as the centerpieces for events. I still think LA is a longshot since it doesn't require a lot of new facilities to be built and not a lot of places for the IOC to get bribes, most of the facilities like the Coliseum will be renovated even if they don't get the games.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:48 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Also the problem with the new stadium is that you probably won't have Air Force/Navy pre-game flybys without shutting down the air traffic around the airport. Its directly in the flightpath of planes landing at LAX. I'm sure the new stadium will be used if they do get rewarded the Olympics, I'm not sure they'll get the big events like an opening/closing ceremony because lets face it was built for NFL football first. Also you have to consider that LA's bid, most of the events were concentrated around downtown LA using Staples Center, Galen Center, LA convention center, future MLS soccer stadium, and LA Coliseum as the centerpieces for events. I still think LA is a longshot since it doesn't require a lot of new facilities to be built and not a lot of places for the IOC to get bribes, most of the facilities like the Coliseum will be renovated even if they don't get the games.

It'd be pretty poor form to flash your military at an international event like the Olympics whose spirit is antithetical to such a thing.
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:40 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
AY2043 wrote:

I don't think the new stadium is going to be configured properly for international track and field events (though perhaps could be), but even if it were, there'd be no way they would pass on the historical aspect of having the ceremonies take place in the Coliseum.

True, but I don't see how they'd pass up at least trying to make use of a beautiful brand-spanking new stadium. Plus there's that whole shopping complex that's supposedly going to surround it. I can't see it just sitting there empty
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:49 am    Post subject:

AY2043 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
AY2043 wrote:

True, but I don't see how they'd pass up at least trying to make use of a beautiful brand-spanking new stadium. Plus there's that whole shopping complex that's supposedly going to surround it. I can't see it just sitting there empty

I agree that it would be put into use if the Olympics came to LA. But I'm guessing it would be for something like soccer rather than the ceremonies etc.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:18 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

It'd be pretty poor form to flash your military at an international event like the Olympics whose spirit is antithetical to such a thing.

I guess I must have been seeing something different from the past couple of Olympics at Beijing and Sochi......
Look what I found the Brits were doing at the 2012 Olympics.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:24 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

I guess I must have been seeing something different from the past couple of Olympics at Beijing and Sochi......

I wouldn't use the Russians or the Chinese as a stellar example of diplomacy in regards to flaunting their military. As for the London thing, that didn't take place over the opening ceremonies.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:30 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

I wouldn't use the Russians or the Chinese as a stellar example of diplomacy in regards to flaunting their military. As for the London thing, that didn't take place over the opening ceremonies.

Wrong...its only on their official youtube page as well.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:36 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

Wrong...its only on their official youtube page as well.

The first video you posted was in Edinburgh.

Anyway, still not a great idea to open a games no matter who does it.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: