Metal Gear Solid V

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:14 pm    Post subject: Metal Gear Solid V

Did anyone else get this today?

Bought it on the way home from work, played for about an hour or so. First part was kinda boring, but the next bit was quite decent. Curious to know anyone else's thoughts if they've played.

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:21 pm    Post subject:

I pre-ordered the Collector's Edition. No tracking number yet.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:18 pm    Post subject:

Played the first chapter last night. Was over the top incredible. Typical Kojima fashion. Won't play it til my 4 day weekend coming up. Maybe I'll do a 24 hour run again.
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:43 pm    Post subject:

I remember beating MGS and MGS2. I played MGS3 but I don't think I ever beat it. Never played MGS4.

With that said I barely remember any of the story. I was a kid when I played the original MGS.

I played a little of MGS5 so far its really fun. Not remembering the back story hasn't really negatively effected my experience. Its fun doing the missions and roaming around interrogating people and finding resources. It seems pretty deep. Building up the Mother Base seems like it might be fun. Not really sure about the micro transaction aspect of it so I guess that is TBD if they are trying to force you to buy these stupid tokens.

I might look up some youtube videos to familiarize myself more with the back story. I know they usually make some compilation videos when new games come out in a series.
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:34 am    Post subject:

It got just as high of marks as Sons of Liberty, so I had to pre-order, but haven't even gotten a chance to open it and play! Can't wait until the long weekend starts because this is definitely something that will be occupying my time.

Time for the Lakers to create a whole new legacy! We want 10 more trophies boys!
PrairieAve
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:18 am    Post subject:

eureca wrote:
I remember beating MGS and MGS2. I played MGS3 but I don't think I ever beat it. Never played MGS4.

With that said I barely remember any of the story. I was a kid when I played the original MGS.

I played a little of MGS5 so far its really fun. Not remembering the back story hasn't really negatively effected my experience. Its fun doing the missions and roaming around interrogating people and finding resources. It seems pretty deep. Building up the Mother Base seems like it might be fun. Not really sure about the micro transaction aspect of it so I guess that is TBD if they are trying to force you to buy these stupid tokens.

I might look up some youtube videos to familiarize myself more with the back story. I know they usually make some compilation videos when new games come out in a series.

If you need story recaps of the MGS series, MGS3 and the PSP game Peace Walker are the priority to understand MGSV. V directly follows the events of Peace Walker.
-Avenue of the Champions- -RIP Dr Buss- #824
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:10 pm    Post subject:

Ugh, mine is MIA in the mail. I think the post office lost it. Oh well, gives me time to start on Ground Zeroes. MGS4 was amazing (would've been more so if they got rid of that Johnny-Meryl romance).

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
PhoenixForce
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:37 pm    Post subject:

GOAT video game franchise
dmorans1
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:58 pm    Post subject:

PhoenixForce wrote:

Uhmm... No.

A franchise with such a mess of a story can't be the GOAT. Such an insult to other franchises that actually spend time mapping out their storylines and not just throw stuff at the wall and see what sticks.
TooCool
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:07 am    Post subject:

Honestly, never been a MGS fan. But to all those who are having a blast with it, that's great to hear.
Legacy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:39 am    Post subject:

TooCool wrote:
Honestly, never been a MGS fan. But to all those who are having a blast with it, that's great to hear.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:22 pm    Post subject:

PrairieAve wrote:
eureca wrote:

If you need story recaps of the MGS series, MGS3 and the PSP game Peace Walker are the priority to understand MGSV. V directly follows the events of Peace Walker.

I haven't touched video games for several years but the MGS series always grabs my attention, mainly because each game doesn't consume a week or two of your life like Final Fantasy. I've played MGS 1-4 so I wanted to see where I stood before playing MGS5. Btw, it got a perfect 10 score on GameSpot and is being touted as easily the best in the series.

Anyway, here's a link that gives you the chronology and summary:

http://www.gamespot.com/gallery/metal-gear-solid-5-story-primer-prepare-for-the-ph/2900-310/

FYI, there's potential spoilers after the 3rd slide.

I think they re-made Peace Walker for PS3. I don't own a PS4 but I'm thinking I need to play Peace Walker first any way. Also, Ground Zero takes place between Peace Walker and MGS5 so that's another one I probably need to delve into.
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:32 pm    Post subject:

gng930 wrote:
PrairieAve wrote:
eureca wrote:

I haven't touched video games for several years but the MGS series always grabs my attention, mainly because each game doesn't consume a week or two of your life like Final Fantasy. I've played MGS 1-4 so I wanted to see where I stood before playing MGS5. Btw, it got a perfect 10 score on GameSpot and is being touted as easily the best in the series.

Anyway, here's a link that gives you the chronology and summary:

http://www.gamespot.com/gallery/metal-gear-solid-5-story-primer-prepare-for-the-ph/2900-310/

FYI, there's potential spoilers after the 3rd slide.

I think they re-made Peace Walker for PS3. I don't own a PS4 but I'm thinking I need to play Peace Walker first any way. Also, Ground Zero takes place between Peace Walker and MGS5 so that's another one I probably need to delve into.

You own a PS3? Yea the Metal Gear Solid HD Collection for PS3 and 360 have Peace Walker included. The Vita release doesn't but you can download the PSP version on vita. There is also the standalone Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker - HD Edition for PS3.

If you do own a PS3 the MGS5 PS3 release isn't bad. Just not the best version graphically, but it has all the features and looks good for a PS3 release. PC would be the best version.

Thanks for the link.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:16 pm    Post subject:

I don't own a PS3 but have access to one. I'm debating getting a PS4 as I want to replace my 7-year-old Blu-ray player anyway.

Considering it's the once-in-a-blue-moon game I'll be playing, I definitely want to go all out with it on my home theater setup. I'm not crazy about settling on a graphically scaled-down version (PS3) or playing it on my computer monitor and speaker setup.
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:30 pm    Post subject:

dmorans1 wrote:
PhoenixForce wrote:

Uhmm... No.

A franchise with such a mess of a story can't be the GOAT. Such an insult to other franchises that actually spend time mapping out their storylines and not just throw stuff at the wall and see what sticks.

To be fair, stories have never been a good barometer for determining the greatness of a franchise.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: