Adam Silver expects NBA to seed playoffs w/out considering division winners

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:06 pm    Post subject: Adam Silver expects NBA to seed playoffs w/out considering division winners

I would be surprised if this actually happens

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/07/14/adam-silver-expects-nba-to-seed-playoffs-without-considering-division-winners-next-season/

Quote:
Adam Silver expects NBA to seed playoffs without considering division winners next season

The Trail Blazers (51-31) got the No. 4 seed in last year’s Western Conference playoffs over the No. 5 seed Grizzlies (55-27) and No. 6 seed Spurs (55-27), because Portland won its division.

NBA commissioner expects that format to change soon.

Tim Bontemps of the New York Post:

The competition committee hasn’t changed this rule, but it’s obviously not too late.

Silver has sounded open to this switch. Doc Rivers and Gregg Popovich – whose teams had to meet in the first round as a result of the current rule – are firmly on board.

I am, too. Teams shouldn’t gain a seeding edge because they happen to play in a weaker division within the same conference. Teams in each conference play very similar schedules, and there’s no good reason to reduce equity here.

Based on Silver’s previous comments, his acknowledgment of this likely rule change leads to another question: Will this end divisions altogether?
Variant
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:40 pm    Post subject:

So would there be any point to Divisions in this proposed model?

This also seems just one step away from doing top 16 teams league wide and forgetting the whole conference thing too...
KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:33 pm    Post subject:

16 team league wide would definitely boost ratings. The issue is traveling.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:13 pm    Post subject:

If I have this correctly, winning your division will still have you in the playoffs, but won't affect your seeding.
Kobewood
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:44 pm    Post subject:

This is long overdue.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:44 pm    Post subject:

Variant wrote:

This also seems just one step away from doing top 16 teams league wide and forgetting the whole conference thing too...

No one cares about the divisions, so doing away with them would be insignificant. But I don't see the NBA removing the east-west rivalry. Hard for me to imagine the conference system disappearing anytime soon.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:52 pm    Post subject:

KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
16 team league wide would definitely boost ratings.

Well, if you had a 16 team system last year, you'd have Oklahoma in the playoffs instead of the Net. And then you'd scramble the playoff order around.

Not sure that would really matter all that much in terms of ratings. Ratings are largely a function of popular superstars and the population of the team's areas.
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:30 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
If I have this correctly, winning your division will still have you in the playoffs, but won't affect your seeding.

i think it's still the tie breaker?
madd_game08
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:01 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Variant wrote:

No one cares about the divisions, so doing away with them would be insignificant. But I don't see the NBA removing the east-west rivalry. Hard for me to imagine the conference system disappearing anytime soon.

Conferences and divisions should exist for the regular season. Makes more sense for travel reasons etc... But yes, just like the NCAA seeding should exist based on the 16 best teams (based on record naturally). Of course, teams in the (now) stronger Western Conference may get screwed even though they are a "better" team than a team that played in the East, but there would be years where a few more teams that are deserving get in.

BUT, what it does that is MOST important, is that more often than not, we would get the two best teams in the finals... Reminds me of the years when we would battle the Kings and Blazers and Spurs in the WCF just to go on a breeze by the weaker Eastern Conference team.

This system would help correct some of that.
Murdock
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:57 am    Post subject:

KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
16 team league wide would definitely boost ratings. The issue is traveling.

I really don't see much of an issue with travel. There will be the occasional Lakers/Raptors matchup but with modern airlines and amenities it's not nearly as drastic as years past.

Id be far more interested in the league if Lebron didn't have a bye to the finals every season.

In my ideal setup it would be a league where seeding is the top 16 teams however home court would be decided by head to head record vs the team you'd be matched up against..

Meaning hypothetically a number 1 seeded team would be on the road to a 16 seed if the 16 seed won the season series with them.. It would even the odds a bit and potentially add some drama to what are typically very bland early round match-ups.
gumby
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:01 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Variant wrote:

But...but....what about the Sacramento Kings and the Clippers. They need something to win and hang up and feel important about!!

Bye.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:34 pm    Post subject:

madd_game08 wrote:
BUT, what it does that is MOST important, is that more often than not, we would get the two best teams in the finals... Reminds me of the years when we would battle the Kings and Blazers and Spurs in the WCF just to go on a breeze by the weaker Eastern Conference team.

I don't think this is a big deal. You really have to go back about 12 years to find an instance of the kind of imbalance you're talking about, so it really isn't that common. The issue for some people isn't the two teams that reach the finals as much as one team having an easier route to get there.
GEORGIE
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:53 pm    Post subject:

aww to bad for the clippers and the rockets... they cant hang those division banners anymore
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:44 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Arash Markazi ‏@ArashMarkazi · 8m8 minutes ago
The eight NBA playoff teams in each conference will now be seeded in order of their regular-season record.

Quote:
Arash Markazi ‏@ArashMarkazi · 7m7 minutes ago
Also head-to-head results will now be the first criterion to break ties for NBA playoff seeding and home-court advantage between two teams.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Lakers95
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:26 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
Quote:
Arash Markazi ‏@ArashMarkazi · 8m8 minutes ago
The eight NBA playoff teams in each conference will now be seeded in order of their regular-season record.

Quote:
Arash Markazi ‏@ArashMarkazi · 7m7 minutes ago
Also head-to-head results will now be the first criterion to break ties for NBA playoff seeding and home-court advantage between two teams.

I got excited for a second because I thought they were changing seeding determination to the best 16 records overall. Damn.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:59 pm    Post subject:

madd_game08 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Variant wrote:

Conferences and divisions should exist for the regular season. Makes more sense for travel reasons etc... But yes, just like the NCAA seeding should exist based on the 16 best teams (based on record naturally). Of course, teams in the (now) stronger Western Conference may get screwed even though they are a "better" team than a team that played in the East, but there would be years where a few more teams that are deserving get in.

This system would help correct some of that.

If they adopt the top 16 rule a lot of people talk about, there would still be complaints about the east teams getting an easier road because they play more games against eastern conference opponents. If the Cavs win 62 and get a #1 overall seed, we'd have a lot of folks saying they'd be a #5 seed in the west. There's really no way to make everyone happy outside of making the Cavs ineligible
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: