Volt: MJ vs. Hakeem
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nobody
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:30 pm    Post subject:

Shlumpledink wrote:
Hakeem's Rockets were the first team to win the championship while having every team they beat win over 50 games in the regular season.

It has probably been matched since, but I saw the final game of the Rockets vs Magic series on espn classic over the weekend and they dropped that statistic.

2001 Lakers: Portland (50 W), Sacramento (55 W), San Antonio (58 W), Philly (56 W).

2002 Lakers: Blazers were 1 win shy (49), San Antonio (58 W), Sacramento (61 W), New Jersey (52 W).

2009 Lakers: Utah was only 2 wins shy (48 W), Houston (53), Denver (54), Orlando (59).

2010 Lakers: OKC (50 W), Utah (53 W), Phoenix (54 W), Boston (50 W).

Some formidable opposition.

In 2005, San Antonio's only sub-50 win team was Denver with 49 wins. Same with 2014, one 49 W team, the rest over 50.

Notice a trend? No champs from the EC.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:04 pm    Post subject:

Shlumpledink wrote:
Hakeem's Rockets were the first team to win the championship while having every team they beat win over 50 games in the regular season.

It has probably been matched since, but I saw the final game of the Rockets vs Magic series on espn classic over the weekend and they dropped that statistic.

Ironically, that was largely a function of Houston not being that good in the regular season. After their first ring, they really dropped off the next year, winning 11 fewer games and decreasing from 2nd best defense to 12th best.

Normally, the ring team is better during the regular season, so they get an easy first round matchup. Houston, in contrast, was only the six seed in the west that year, so they were the under-50-win team.

In fact, I think they are one of only three sub-50-win teams (not counting shortened years) to win a ring. The other two were during the ultimate parity era, the 1970s.
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:42 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Shlumpledink wrote:

Ironically, that was largely a function of Houston not being that good in the regular season. After their first ring, they really dropped off the next year, winning 11 fewer games and decreasing from 2nd best defense to 12th best.

Normally, the ring team is better during the regular season, so they get an easy first round matchup. Houston, in contrast, was only the six seed in the west that year, so they were the under-50-win team.

In fact, I think they are one of only three sub-50-win teams (not counting shortened years) to win a ring. The other two were during the ultimate parity era, the 1970s.

50 wins is a bit of an undersell though, the worst record they faced was 57-25
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:27 am    Post subject:

Telleris wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Shlumpledink wrote:

50 wins is a bit of an undersell though, the worst record they faced was 57-25

True. Because they started off as the sixth seed, they hit the three toughest teams in the West. So they set themselves up for a hard path because they failed to take care of business in the regular season.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: