Does LAL have a real shot at KD next summer?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:37 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
I think the fact we've never heard even the faintest rumor of Durant-to-Lakers is pretty meaningful. You usually get a whiff of this stuff. Even though Love never ended up here, I totally believe he wanted to LA when he was in Minnesota (and may still) because that kind of stuff gets out. He tells his friends/advisors and then one of those people ends up letting it slip because it's gossip too juicy to hold onto.

With Durant to Lakers, there's nothing and I don't see why he'd want to come here. He's never seemed like the big-fish-small-pond type like Shaq was in Orlando. He has no hometown roots here. And it's a matter of public knowledge he's very into the analytics movement in the NBA, to the point he has focused on being a more efficient player the past few years. And even if the Lakers are making strides towards that end, there's no way they catch up to the other teams in the span of a season. Add to that we're simply not a contender right now and won't be when KD is weighing options. Westbrook remains our best hope as a Big FA Fish, although i'm skeptical he will have many effective/injury-free seasons left in him by the time he's an FA.

I know there's no way the Lakers resist pushing all their chips in on Durant, so our only hope is that he does us good by telling us we're simply not in the running, so that we can focus on more attainable players. Luckily Durant will be a max player no matter where he goes, so his agent won't need to use us as leverage.

Well put. although the Durant-Horford-Hibbert super-pipe is always out there, it would still be a positive step if the team recruited other top free agents.

I agree Westbrook is more likely but I worry about his fit with DLO/Clarkson and the uncertainty of the 2017 CBA. It will make it even more complicated to strike a balance between free agent recruitment next summer, remaining competitive, and preserving adequate cap-space for 2017.
Lakers_Jester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:33 pm    Post subject:

I think the biggest factor is kobe. Aside from the fact that he obviously needs to retire, and aside from the fact that he would have some good influence over kd in a pitch since kd respects him so much. Kobe needs to make this team look good. He needs to elevate this team with his play. If not barely making the playoffs then barely missing them. Kobe needs to play well so that kd can envision himself sliding right into kobes position and taking this team over the top. Kd obviously a better player than kobe is now, needs to see himself in kobe and see that if kobe retires and kd takes his spot at SF, then if we just missed the playoffs, kd can easily make us a playoff squad and perhaps a contender depending on a couple roster moves. It's all on kobe imo.
KG24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:47 pm    Post subject:

cufk KD...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10
Jump to: