Lakers GM believes his team has a shot at the playoffs
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:10 am    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
Considering we have actual players on this team now instead of complete utter garbage like Ellington, Wesley Johnson, Jordan Hill, Lin, Boozer, etc.

Instead of Jordan Hill or Robert Sacre, we have Roy Hibbert starting.
Instead of Wayne Ellington or Jabari Brown, we have Jordan Clarkson starting.
Instead of Ronnie Price or Lin of Vander freaking Blue, we have DeAngelo Russell starting.
Instead of Wesley Johnson or Ryan (bleep) Kelly starting, we have Kobe Bryant starting (for more games than last season at least).
Instead of Boozer or Ryan freaking Kelly again, we have Julius Randle starting.

This team's starting lineup has upgraded at literally every single position, as well as having a much more upgraded bench such as Lou Williams and Brandon Bass being the big examples, as well as moving Tarik Black to backup Center.

Lastly, playoff teams from last year that have clearly been downgraded such as the Blazers and the Mavs.

We certainly have a shot, at least the best shot to make the playoffs we have had in the last couple of years.

I agree that we have increased our talent level. In the East we'd have a good shot at the playoffs. But the West is loaded. I have 6 teams pretty solidly in the playoffs (Warriors, Spurs, Clips, Rox, OKC, Memphis), and then you have the Pelicans, Mavs, Jazz, Suns, Kings, Lakers fighting for the final 2.

Again, we upgraded and the team will be much more enjoyable. Just a tough Western Conference.
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:10 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
Lakers have missed the playoffs three, going on four, times under Kupchak.

To be fair, also won 5 chips in the same 19 seasons

Good point, which obviously puts the Lakers at or near the top of the list of successful franchises during this period. Regardless of the poor showing in recent years.
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:12 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Mitch says that every year. Good for him and I wouldn't expect anything else from him.

Agree I wouldn't want anything else.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:16 pm    Post subject:

44 wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
It's possible, but would require a lot of health on Kobe's part, and a lot of impact from the young guys. Hibbert as well would need to be a major asset, play like the motivated defensive player he was 2-3 years ago. I'd say if everything goes perfectly, or near perfect, we'd hit a ceiling of 45 wins which I think is good enough the coming year to be an 8th seed.

I absolutely agree, there is of course a reasonably good chance this team makes the playoffs, but as pointed out "health" is a major issue along with the younger players reaching or surpassing expectations this year. All of which are not unreasonable expectations.

My thing is - expect 35 wins, live with 30, and be ecstatic if we get 40-45. I'm not expecting a winning season, but if it happens, it'd be great. Looking at our talent level, there's a lot of unknowns, but realistically if everyone is where I think they're at, I'd put us in the 35 win type of bracket.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:04 pm    Post subject:

Lakers GM believes his team has a shot at the playoffs

*I just had to do it
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:22 am    Post subject:

Mitch Kupchak is more guarded about Lakers' expectations

Quote:
A year ago, almost to the day, Lakers General Manager Mitch Kupchak said the expectations were to "win a championship," a remark that drew plenty of dissection, if not sarcasm, as the season unraveled unlike any other in a proud 67-year history.

He was more guarded Thursday at the team's El Segundo training facility, cognizant that the Lakers are a mishmash of old, young and somewhere in between, trying to segue seamlessly from the Kobe Bryant era to whatever awaits in 2016-17.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/la-sp-lakers-kupchak-20150925-story.html
LoyalLakerfan44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Lakers GM believes his team has a shot at the playoffs

pio2u wrote:
First D'Angelo & Kobe weighed in on the issue, then Kareem and now Mitch believes this team has a shot at the play-offs.

Of course BEFORE the season starts everybody has a "shot" of making the playoffs.
However I like the attitude of the Lakers going into the season. It's a statement of our intentions to win & not back down from any team. It will be a challenge but "that's why they play the game."

Quote:
Mitch Kupchak told USA TODAY Sports recently that he had realistic hopes of his Los Angeles Lakers pushing for a playoff spot this season, it’s safe to say he pushed the limits of this glass-is-half-full practice. On the heels of their torturous two-year stretch (combined record: 48-116), a 37-year-old Kobe Bryant can’t be seen as a savior as he returns yet again from a devastating injury. And the cast of characters around him – for the most part – is fairly seen as either inexperienced or ineffective. What’s more, the Western Conference is as daunting a place as it has ever been.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/lakers/2015/09/24/mitch-kupchak-los-angeles-lakers/72701178/

What else is Mitch going to say? He's trying to sell tickets.
lukewaltonsdad
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:36 am    Post subject:

ESPN Power Rankings has us finishing with the same record as last year...
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:41 am    Post subject:

lukewaltonsdad wrote:
ESPN Power Rankings has us finishing with the same record as last year...

I really don't think we'll be quite that bad.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:39 pm    Post subject:

Kupchak Lays Out Team Goals for Upcoming Season
Quote:
When asked about what success meant for the Lakers this season Kupchak was very candid in his response. The list is as follows:

* To stay healthy
* For Kobe Bryant to have a great year
* For their young players to prosper and show promise
* For Roy Hibbert to have an All-Star year

http://lakeshowlife.com/2015/09/25/mitch-kupchak-lays-out-team-goals-for-upcoming-season/
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:02 am    Post subject:

Kupchak Likes Lakers Playoff Chances
Quote:
Kupchak expects the Lakers to surprise a lot of people this year and feels there are at least a couple open spots in the Western Conference playoffs.

http://lakeshowlife.com/2015/09/25/mitch-kupchak-likes-lakers-playoff-chances/
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:31 am    Post subject:

Okaaaay, though a 35-1 shot (slightly better than a pure random hit in roulette) is a shot at making the playoffs, the Laker chances are just terrible.

In terms of pre-season pronouncements, we've come to expect nothing less than overly optimistic hopes from the Laker FO. I can't imagine B-Scott and this roster eliminating anyone this season from the playoff chase from among:

GSW
SAS
OKC
HOU
LAC
MEM
DAL
NOP
PHO

That's nine teams more proven and fundamentally assured of beating our brains in over an 82 game season, short of their having a roster health crisis.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:38 am    Post subject:

Wilkes52 wrote:
Okaaaay, though a 35-1 shot (slightly better than a pure random hit in roulette) is a shot at making the playoffs, the Laker chances are just terrible.

In terms of pre-season pronouncements, we've come to expect nothing less than overly optimistic hopes from the Laker FO. I can't imagine B-Scott and this roster eliminating anyone this season from the playoff chase from among:

GSW
SAS
OKC
HOU
LAC
MEM
DAL
NOP
PHO

That's nine teams more proven and fundamentally assured of beating our brains in over an 82 game season, short of their having a roster health crisis.

Mitch has to do his part to sell tickets too

But you never know, .. that's why they play the games.
EmoDias
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:56 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
Wilkes52 wrote:

GSW
SAS
OKC
HOU
LAC
MEM
DAL
NOP
PHO

Mitch has to do his part to sell tickets too

But you never know, .. that's why they play the games.

How do you value Phoenix and Dallas over your own Lakers' team? More proven and fundamentally better? Mitch is not overly optimistic...we have a chance and have some hope will ya...sheesh!
cvballa
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:23 am    Post subject:

People don't realize that our rotation this year, if everyone stays healthy, has only 2 players that were in the rotation last year. Clarkson and black. And black might not even be in the rotation.

THIS IS A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT TEAM!

I have no expectations cuz there is nothing to base off of. Just enjoy the ride.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:28 am    Post subject:

cvballa wrote:
People don't realize that our rotation this year, if everyone stays healthy, has only 2 players that were in the rotation last year. Clarkson and black. And black might not even be in the rotation.

I have no expectations cuz there is nothing to base off of. Just enjoy the ride.

Kobe and Young?
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:30 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
cvballa wrote:

Kobe and Young?

J.Brown, Kelly, and Sacre might make the roster this year as well.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:29 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
cvballa wrote:

Kobe and Young?

J.Brown, Kelly, and Sacre might make the roster this year as well.

Doubtful they will be in the rotation.
cvballa
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:40 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
cvballa wrote:

Kobe and Young?

both were hurt most of the season. Didnt really contribute to the season.
Tony Anapolis
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:13 pm    Post subject:

Well the head of player personnel is learning on the fly I would say. We can't put all the failures of this team on Mitch. They are building and moving in a seemingly decent direction. I think that is all we can ask for at this point.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:08 pm    Post subject:

If the entire team hits the HGH hard we have a shot
Darkndeep
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:12 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Lakers have missed the playoffs three, going on four, times under Kupchak.

and now for the glass-is-half-empty side ... What championships? ...
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Lakers GM believes his team has a shot at the playoffs

LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:
pio2u wrote:
First D'Angelo & Kobe weighed in on the issue, then Kareem and now Mitch believes this team has a shot at the play-offs.

Of course BEFORE the season starts everybody has a "shot" of making the playoffs.
However I like the attitude of the Lakers going into the season. It's a statement of our intentions to win & not back down from any team. It will be a challenge but "that's why they play the game."

Quote:
Mitch Kupchak told USA TODAY Sports recently that he had realistic hopes of his Los Angeles Lakers pushing for a playoff spot this season, it’s safe to say he pushed the limits of this glass-is-half-full practice. On the heels of their torturous two-year stretch (combined record: 48-116), a 37-year-old Kobe Bryant can’t be seen as a savior as he returns yet again from a devastating injury. And the cast of characters around him – for the most part – is fairly seen as either inexperienced or ineffective. What’s more, the Western Conference is as daunting a place as it has ever been.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/lakers/2015/09/24/mitch-kupchak-los-angeles-lakers/72701178/

What else is Mitch going to say? He's trying to sell tickets.

With the backlog of people wanting to buy season tickets I don't think that is an issue.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: