Pau Gasol one of the greatest Lakers of all time
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:04 am    Post subject:

Pau was a great Laker until 2011

But before that he was a true great and his jersey will deservingly hang on the wall soon!
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:41 am    Post subject:

Pau just wasn't great for very long so it's hard to put him very high on a list of Laker greats.
Nightwalker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:16 am    Post subject:

Pau Gasol was great for Lakers years 2008-2010 but soon after he fell off the cliff (2011) he was done and mailed it in. Phil Jackson chest bumping him during playoffs in 2011 against Mavs was beginning of the end, he was never same player after that still though Gasol deserves his jersey retired and part of Lakers greats.
D. Sharp
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:45 am    Post subject:

cKPayasoLoco wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:

Best trade we made in recent history. Pau seemed to get rejuvenated in Chicago at least for a while, but it was never anything like 2008-2010 Pau. Spain still seems to get a pretty good version of Pau though

Those Euros take those home country games much more seriously that your average Yank.

I'll go further re: Dwight. If we had Dwight, even the 2008-2010 version of him, instead of Pau during those years, I don't think we win a championship. I think we had the best roster those 3 years, which is usually a given for teams that ultimately win it all, but the Celtics were maybe one tick under us at worst. It was the same thing as the 80s. Our margin of error against them was too scant for us to win with Dwight's style of play. Pau's finesse and mobility were more important against their aging/plodding front line than Dwight's athleticism and zero post gm coupled with poor entry passing. We didn't have the 3 pt shooting that Orlando did to create space for Howard, either. Head-to-head, Pau even outplayed him in the 2009 Finals.

I think 2008 if we had Dwight we would have won the title. Pau got punked in that finals and dwight wouldnt have been.

To be honest, I'm not so sure. As limited as Perkins is, he (at least at the time) was good at denying space to his opponent, something that Dwight needs to thrive. Perk needed a lot of a help from Garnett to contain Gasol.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: