Indiana Pacers to wear Hickory High uniforms from "Hoosiers"

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:37 pm    Post subject: Indiana Pacers to wear Hickory High uniforms from "Hoosiers"

http://www.nba.com/pacers/metro-gold...ed-uniform-nba

Quote:
Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios, Pacers Bring "Hoosiers"-Inspired Uniform to NBA

Pacers will wear ‘Hickory’ uniforms in select games starting in the 2015-16 season to celebrate the film’s 30th anniversary

Posted: Jul 21, 2015

INDIANAPOLIS -- In a first-of-its-kind partnership, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios (MGM) and the Indiana Pacers will bring one of the all-time great underdog stories, Hoosiers, to the NBA hardwood, celebrating the film's 30th Anniversary.

For the 2015-16 season, the Pacers will introduce the Hickory uniform to be worn in select regular season games as part of the NBA Pride Collection. The Hickory uniform is a tribute to the rich tradition of basketball in the State of Indiana and will serve as inspiration to fans everywhere that no matter how improbable the challenge may be, amazing things can be accomplished through teamwork, determination, heart and hustle.

"Our team will be honored to wear the Hickory uniforms because of the attention it will bring to the storied history of Indiana basketball and the success of that movie," said Pacers President of Basketball Operations Larry Bird. "Hoosiers takes us all back to a special place and time."

MGM's Hoosiers, which premiered in 1986, was inspired by the 1954 Indiana High School state champion team from tiny Milan. It was written by Angelo Pizzo and directed by David Anspaugh, both Indiana natives, and starred Gene Hackman as Coach Norman Dale. The movie received two Academy Award™ nominations, including Dennis Hopper for Best Supporting Actor, and is widely regarded as one of the best sports movies of all time.

Todd Taylor, Pacers Sports & Entertainment's Senior Vice President for Sales and Marketing, championed the idea of wearing the Hickory uniforms and worked with MGM on the partnership.

"Obviously, we revere the film, but more importantly we believe our organization, especially our players, embody the core message of the story – by coming together as a team, there is nothing that can't be accomplished," said Taylor.

In addition to the upcoming season, the Pacers will wear the Hickory uniform during select games over the next several seasons.

Taylor added, "While the uniform being worn in front of a worldwide audience is thrilling, we are equally excited about the additional opportunities the partnership provides both on and off the court. The Miracle Men of Milan are just one of the legendary basketball stories in the state. We look forward to drawing attention to the contributions and accomplishments of those that have made Indiana synonymous with the game of basketball."

"With the 30th anniversary of Hoosiers approaching, MGM is excited to partner with the Pacers organization for this perfect tie-in," said Michael Brown, Executive Vice President Marketing, MGM. "We look forward to seeing the players wear the Hickory jerseys with pride."

While the central and most visible component is the Hoosiers inspired uniform, the partnership also will allow for a variety of unique community outreach and awareness opportunities throughout the State of Indiana.

Details on which games the players will wear the Hickory uniforms will be announced at a later date.

About Indiana Pacers
About to begin their 49th season of professional basketball in Indianapolis, the Indiana Pacers are a member of the National Basketball Association and the flagship of Pacers Sports & Entertainment which includes Bankers Life Fieldhouse, the WNBA Indiana Fever and Pacers Foundation. The Pacers' core mission is two-fold: winning championships and serving community.

About Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer
Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer is a leading entertainment company focused on the production and global distribution of film and television content. The company owns one of the world's deepest libraries of premium film and television content. In addition, MGM has investments in domestic and international television channels and is the majority owner of and distributor for United Artists Media Group (UAMG). For more information, visit www.mgm.com.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:24 pm    Post subject:

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2015/09/25/pacers-announce-dates-for-games-with-hickory-uniforms/

Quote:
Pacers announce dates for games with Hickory uniforms

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — The Pacers will debut their new Hickory Huskers uniforms Nov. 6 at home against Miami.

Team officials announced Tuesday that they will be worn 10 times this season. Indiana is making the change to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the movie “Hoosiers.”

Indiana also will wear the uniforms for home games Dec. 23 against Sacramento, Jan. 26 against the Los Angeles Clippers, Feb. 24 against New York, March 15 against Boston and April 10 against Brooklyn and at road games Nov. 29 at the Los Angeles Lakers, Dec. 30 at Chicago, Jan. 13 at Boston and April 3 at New York.

Indiana also will have honorees at each home game including Crispus Attucks state championship teams from 1955, 1956 and 1959 and, of course, the “Milan Miracle” team of 1954.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:09 am    Post subject:

Does this have any significance to you considering you're from that area? To me it seems like teams are scraping the bottom of the barrel for throwback jersey ideas. "We look forward to seeing the players wear the Hickory jerseys with pride." How maudlin. I'd like to know how many current Pacers have even seen Hoosiers in full, especially considering that many young pukes won't watch anything in standard def.

Teen Wolf turned 30 this year. The Lakers should've worn the gold BEAVERS uniforms that Michael J. Fox played in. Young Kobe actually played much like Teen Wolf in his first couple of seasons. I don't think even Kob even stole the ball from a teammate, though.

The Pacers' core mission is two-fold: winning championships and serving community. <-- Really, Pacers? Plural, even???
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:31 am    Post subject:

Hoosiers is a staple of Indiana basketball lore since its based on the RL story of the little team that could(they fictionalized a few things obviously) While I think its nice to think out of the box there are other basketball stories in Indiana that deserve just as much recognition like Crispus Attucks being the first all black team to win a basketball championship ever lead by Oscar Robertson. I think when you recognize one and ignore the others that could be problematic.

Beyond that its all in fun. I mean at least its basketball related I think the Raptors having "Drake Night" is way more embarrassing
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:45 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
Hoosiers is a staple of Indiana basketball lore since its based on the RL story of the little team that could(they fictionalized a few things obviously) While I think its nice to think out of the box there are other basketball stories in Indiana that deserve just as much recognition like Crispus Attucks being the first all black team to win a basketball championship ever lead by Oscar Robertson. I think when you recognize one and ignore the others that could be problematic.

Beyond that its all in fun. I mean at least its basketball related I think the Raptors having "Drake Night" is way more embarrassing

High school basketball is King in Indiana, as well as in Illinois. My town had 5,000 people, and we would get 3,000 at our home basketball games. While this is obviously an entertainment tie in, the honesty and reverence of the movie is something ingrained into the part of the Country.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:11 am    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:

Villanova upset Georgetown 30 yrs ago. Maybe Philly should wear Nova jerseys at least once. Why not? Samey same.

As far as the Raptors go, they also cobbled together some plain ass white unis that had HUSKIES on them. The font wasn't true to the original, but that was another hokey idea. Not as bad as Drake, but still. I get the Huskies played game 1 in NBL history, but c'mon. Since when did the league ever give the 1940s and 50s guys the credit they were due? It took the Lakers 500 years before honoring championships won by our own franchise. Thankfully it happened before Mikan and Mikkelson were dead. Miami wore some weird looking things for a team called the Floridians. God knows who they were. It reminds me of them retiring a number for a guy who never played for them. I agree with you re: Crispus Attucks. It has no less of an important meaning than other nods to the past.

One I'd like to see is the Hawks wearing the lime green joints that they wore in the Pistol Pete years. Now that's a throwback. To my recollection, they only did the Nique era jerseys. It mildly annoyed me that what Houston wore as throwbacks to their early era were RED 1980s-90s Laker uniforms. They were exactly our old uniforms with the same numbering and yellow patches on the trunks, but they were red. Those were a throwback to the Lakers more than the Rockets. I know most fans don't even notice this sh, but yer boy is nothing if not neurotic.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:07 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:

Villanova upset Georgetown 30 yrs ago. Maybe Philly should wear Nova jerseys at least once. Why not? Samey same.

As far as the Raptors go, they also cobbled together some plain ass white unis that had HUSKIES on them. The font wasn't true to the original, but that was another hokey idea. Not as bad as Drake, but still. I get the Huskies played game 1 in NBL history, but c'mon. Since when did the league ever give the 1940s and 50s guys the credit they were due? It took the Lakers 500 years before honoring championships won by our own franchise. Thankfully it happened before Mikan and Mikkelson were dead. Miami wore some weird looking things for a team called the Floridians. God knows who they were. It reminds me of them retiring a number for a guy who never played for them. I agree with you re: Crispus Attucks. It has no less of an important meaning than other nods to the past.

One I'd like to see is the Hawks wearing the lime green joints that they wore in the Pistol Pete years. Now that's a throwback. To my recollection, they only did the Nique era jerseys. It mildly annoyed me that what Houston wore as throwbacks to their early era were RED 1980s-90s Laker uniforms. They were exactly our old uniforms with the same numbering and yellow patches on the trunks, but they were red. Those were a throwback to the Lakers more than the Rockets. I know most fans don't even notice this sh, but yer boy is nothing if not neurotic.

lol, ur nutz. now you got me thinking about it. picture please!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: