Larry Brown

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:38 am    Post subject: Larry Brown

Why does a college even bother hiring this guy?
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Larry Brown

venturalakersfan wrote:

You mean there are places he hasn't already coached at?
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:41 am    Post subject:

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
carlosLisboa
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:50 am    Post subject:

NBA champion?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:26 am    Post subject:

Because his track record is proven both ways.

9/10 times he helps the program, he helps the players improve and the team gets results.

But 10/10 times it comes with drama, it comes with sort of chaos.

The net result usually is a wash at best. But in the short term, immediate, even in the NBA, Larry seemed to get his teams to improve right away.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:29 am    Post subject:

He's one of the greatest coaches of all-time.

70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:02 am    Post subject:

Though he's a rule-breaker and an oddball insecure nightmare, Larry's got an incredible mind for basketball. He's very creative at maximizing talent.

Take how he managed to get the Kiki Vandeweghe UCLA Bruins into the NCAA title game. He had crap for guards. He put a pair of micro centers in there (6'7" James Wilkes and 6'6" Mike Sanders) to make driving room for Vandeweghe. The tactics very nearly brought UCLA another national championship. Probably one of the least talented laden championship game participants in my lifetime.

Wilkes went on to be a very minor NBA small forward and Sanders a decent NBA swingman (off guard and SF). Incredible what Larry Brown saw possible in them.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Larry Brown

venturalakersfan wrote:

He's a great coach who can take a mediocre program and turn it into a contender fast -- so if you are a college, you know Brown will create a basketball team that will make alumni happy, bring in lots of money, and get you national exposure.

The downside, of course, is that after the success you find that Brown has left sooner than expected and your team is suspension. But there will always be colleges that take the huge reward/huge risk gamble.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:04 pm    Post subject:

70sdude wrote:
Though he's a rule-breaker and an oddball insecure nightmare, Larry's got an incredible mind for basketball. He's very creative at maximizing talent.

Take how he managed to get the Kiki Vandeweghe UCLA Bruins into the NCAA title game. He had crap for guards. He put a pair of micro centers in there (6'7" James Wilkes and 6'6" Mike Sanders) to make driving room for Vandeweghe. The tactics very nearly brought UCLA another national championship. Probably one of the least talented laden championship game participants in my lifetime.

Wilkes went on to be a very minor NBA small forward and Sanders a decent NBA swingman (off guard and SF). Incredible what Larry Brown saw possible in them.

I wouldn't exactly call 18 ppg on .500 shooting over a dozen years, with 3 all star appearances, three rings with two different teams, 2 all defense teams, and a rookie of the year award minor.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:18 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
70sdude wrote:

I wouldn't exactly call 18 ppg on .500 shooting over a dozen years, with 3 all star appearances, three rings with two different teams, 2 all defense teams, and a rookie of the year award minor.

Of course not, but you've researched a different player. What Laker fan could actually mistake the pro career of former UCLA Bruin Jamaal Wilkes (your citation) for the player on Vandeweghe's UCLA team that I referred to (James Wilkes).
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:31 pm    Post subject:

70sdude wrote:
24 wrote:
70sdude wrote:

Of course not, but you've researched a different player. What Laker fan could actually mistake the pro career of former UCLA Bruin Jamaal Wilkes (your citation) for the player on Vandeweghe's UCLA team that I referred to (James Wilkes).

Well duh. Ihate it when I have senior moments, especially when in a discussion with older guys!
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:39 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

9/10 times he helps the program, he helps the players improve and the team gets results.

The net result usually is a wash at best. But in the short term, immediate, even in the NBA, Larry seemed to get his teams to improve right away.

Bingo.

Not to mention a team like SMU wants/needs a big name to get itself some national attention, recruiting and media coverage-wise.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:07 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
70sdude wrote:
24 wrote:
70sdude wrote:

Well duh. Ihate it when I have senior moments, especially when in a discussion with older guys!

Sometimer's Disease I call it, and it happens, ahem, with increasing frequency I'm afraid to share.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:23 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
70sdude wrote:

UCLA Wilkes too much.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:05 am    Post subject:

i've never been impressed by larry brown in the nba. but i don't follow him too closely. maybe he's brilliant, i don't see it.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:49 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
70sdude wrote:
24 wrote:
70sdude wrote:

Get off my lawn!!!!
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:50 am    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Bingo.

Not to mention a team like SMU wants/needs a big name to get itself some national attention, recruiting and media coverage-wise.

They certainly have national attention.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:06 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
i've never been impressed by larry brown in the nba. but i don't follow him too closely. maybe he's brilliant, i don't see it.

He did win that NBA championship in Detroit when the Pistons crushed a wobbling Laker cast under Phil Jackson's lead, in 2004. He also made The Finals two other times with the Piston in the same five year window, those other two with almost entirely different rosters. He can coach 'em up, but he's unstable - drives his players and bosses absolutely nuts.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:36 pm    Post subject:

Mongolian Nomad wrote:
Larry Brown, slow down.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: