How many games until...

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakesGnrLake
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:43 pm    Post subject: How many games until...

Our young trio has an "oh (bleep)" moment, where you know we have a special player?

clarkson- 1st preseason game. He's gonna dunk on someone. It's not gonna be pretty for that player he dunks on.

Randle- 4 games in preseason. I think he will be rusty at first. He'll go coast to coast, cross someone over and finish strong.

Russell- Within preseason. He's gonna go on a hot steak and start launching threes.

What do you guys think?
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:04 pm    Post subject:

I don't think it will, for me, ever be a dunk or a strong finish or anything at all ever in a preseason game.

The first moment I tell myself "get [PLAYER] the ball" in a very critical situation, is for me, the moment I'll realize that we have someone special.

I haven't muttered that phrase in years, haha.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:16 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
I don't think it will, for me, ever be a dunk or a strong finish or anything at all ever in a preseason game.

The first moment I tell myself "get [PLAYER] the ball" in a very critical situation, is for me, the moment I'll realize that we have someone special.

Funny enough that was me last year when we were playing philly. I was like all philly has to do is keep the ball out of JC's hands and they got this.

But Clarkson wouldn't be denied 😂

Good thing too because we wound up with Russell as a result!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
KB8SD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:32 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:

Would be nice to see Clarkson put someone on a poster like what Kobe did to Ben Wallace back in the day during pre season at a game in Las Vegas at the old Thomas & Mack arena.

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:59 pm    Post subject:

KB8SD wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Would be nice to see Clarkson put someone on a poster like what Kobe did to Ben Wallace back in the day during pre season at a game in Las Vegas at the old Thomas & Mack arena.

Ben had the last laugh
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:09 pm    Post subject:

I'm going with Julius. The time in the summer league were spent getting the rust off. It'll be the same in the preseason and the season but he's been practicing since then.

There were times in the fourth summer league game when he was shaking off the rust, and starting dominating at the offensive end. Between his pent up energy from missing his rookie campaign, to being free of minute restrictions, we're going to have some "oh sh_t" moments from him (and Clarkson & Russell as well)

Btw, while we're so focused on what highlights the kids will generate on the offensive end, watch out for the highlights Nance Jr will have on a block shot, a dunk, or a follow up rebound.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:03 pm    Post subject:

I don't think an "oh (bleep)" moment tells you that you have a special player. Most average NBA players can give you moments like that occassionally. Heck, I remember people talking about what a special player Kwame Brown would be based on his first summer league play.

A guy starts to show he's special when he impresses for game after game for a long stretch. Special is a state of being; it isn't a moment.

Personally, I am not expecting these guys to come out of the box as strongly as some fans, but that doesn't mean they won't be good eventually.
HoumanMD
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:54 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Special is a state of being; it isn't a moment..

#truth
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:58 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
I don't think an "oh (bleep)" moment tells you that you have a special player. Most average NBA players can give you moments like that occassionally. Heck, I remember people talking about what a special player Kwame Brown would be based on his first summer league play.

A guy starts to show he's special when he impresses for game after game for a long stretch. Special is a state of being; it isn't a moment.

Personally, I am not expecting these guys to come out of the box as strongly as some fans, but that doesn't mean they won't be good eventually.

I tend to agree. But isn't there that first, lasting memory of a player?

For me, say with Kobe, it was his game winning jumper over Jason Kidd in the playoffs. That was the first memory I have of Kobe, that has really stayed with me.
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:13 pm    Post subject:

That might happen sometime this year, might happen next year. Some players don't develop for 3 or 4 years in the league. Might never happen. Who knows?!?! Everything is a crap shoot with this team right now...could roll a 7, could crap out.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:29 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Funny enough that was me last year when we were playing philly. I was like all philly has to do is keep the ball out of JC's hands and they got this.

But Clarkson wouldn't be denied 😂

Good thing too because we wound up with Russell as a result!

Ah, the old days when I was simultaneously mad and happy about Clarkson's play. I'm not going to miss those days. haha
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:32 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
activeverb wrote:

For me, say with Kobe, it was his game winning jumper over Jason Kidd in the playoffs. That was the first memory I have of Kobe, that has really stayed with me.

While agree that was a special monment, Kobe had already shown that he was on the path to being a special player prior to that. He was voted an All-Star and nearly was a top 6th Man of the Year candidate in his second season in the league.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:40 pm    Post subject:

I'm actually looking more forward to people (bleep) all over the young guns because they aren't HOF level players after 1 pre-season game. I could use the laugh. Don't let me down LG.

!...
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:46 pm    Post subject:

City_Dawg wrote:
I'm actually looking more forward to people (bleep) all over the young guns because they aren't HOF level players after 1 pre-season game. I could use the laugh. Don't let me down LG.

Ugh...lol
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:21 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
activeverb wrote:

So in his fourth season, after he'd already been an all-star twice and made the all-NBA team, Kobe hits a shot in the playoff and you thought, "Who the heck is this new kid?! He might turn into something!"
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: