Should the Lakers go after Glenn Rice Jr (Summer league MVP 2014)?

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:43 am    Post subject: Should the Lakers go after Glenn Rice Jr (Summer league MVP 2014)?

I had no idea this guy averaged 26 points a game last year in the summer league. He was so good that the Wizards picked him up. I don't know why they waived him when he averaged 26 a game in the summer league. I thought he'd average at least 26 points a game with the wizards based on his phenomenal play in the summer league. How come a guy who averaged 26 points a game in the summer league is no longer in the league? Lakers should seriously look at him.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:49 am    Post subject:

Goes to show you how important the SPL is.
Sacreligious
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:52 am    Post subject:

Same reason every other "stud" in SL or Dleague don't get called.

The NBA is a completely different sport compared to those two.

Those who do well in SL or the Dleague tend to be of the same mold. Strong offensive talents but a severe lack of offensive discipline (this is something I think Nick Young improved on somewhat playing with us), as well as defensive effort.

CDR, DJO, Jordan Crawford, etc... all talented but much more suited to a Rucker Park style of play. In the pros, that doesn't fly.

Are there great players in these lower leagues who could be great in the NBA? Absolutely. However, finding them amongst the Crawfords of the world can be difficult.

There is a reason some players just never get it, and I highly doubt all 30 teams could miss on a stud.
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:05 pm    Post subject:

In order:

Rice Jr. > Adam Morrison > Devin Ebanks > Russell + Ranlde combined
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:07 pm    Post subject:

Why does LG care so much about Summer league all of a sudden? lol
marloveslakers24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:15 pm    Post subject:

This thread alone should end all the hate for DLO.
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:51 pm    Post subject:

Andrew Goudelock dominated in summer league, when he was with the Lakers. Just another example of how little influence summer league really has on a player's success in the league.

Time for the Lakers to create a whole new legacy! We want 10 more trophies boys!
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:53 pm    Post subject:

Remember Ian Clark?

He got a 2 year guaranteed contract after his summer league explosion a few years back

Utah regretted that signing
gumby
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:53 pm    Post subject:

Uh...let's actually see games where the actual WHOLE team is in there on the floor before we start judging on d-league/pickup games in the summer league.

Bye.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Should the Lakers go after Glenn Rice Jr (Summer league MVP 2014)?

Mindripper2000 wrote:
I had no idea this guy averaged 26 points a game last year in the summer league. He was so good that the Wizards picked him up. I don't know why they waived him when he averaged 26 a game in the summer league. I thought he'd average at least 26 points a game with the wizards based on his phenomenal play in the summer league. How come a guy who averaged 26 points a game in the summer league is no longer in the league? Lakers should seriously look at him.

I'd deal Russell for Rice next summer because I want the 2016 Summer League trophy!
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:33 pm    Post subject:

KBH wrote:
Why does LG care so much about Summer league all of a sudden? lol

It's just the Anti-Russell faction. It's therapeutic for them or something.
Shepherd74
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Should the Lakers go after Glenn Rice Jr (Summer league MVP 2014)?

Mindripper2000 wrote:

Ultimately the reason he got let go was due to a run-in with the coach. According to news reports, he has a bad attitude. Don't know how true or untrue that is but we could use more depth at SF. I would love to see us invite Roscoe Smith to camp.
madd_game08
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:27 pm    Post subject:

I'm upset we didn't snatch up Seth Curry (not even sure we could have even had a chance, but I'd like to think think we had as good of a chance if not better as the Pelicans...) I know we have some good young guard prospects, but just to have the asset is reason enough.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Should the Lakers go after Glenn Rice Jr (Summer league MVP 2014)?

Mindripper2000 wrote:

He wasn't able to crack the rotation with the Wizards, and in the little playing time he did get he shot badly. He also had an attitude problem, so they waived him before his contract became guaranteed.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: