30 for 30: Down in the Valley airs on October 20

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:54 am    Post subject: 30 for 30: Down in the Valley airs on October 20

http://espn.go.com/30for30/film?page=downinthevalley

Quote:
About Down in the Valley
Film Summary
What does a sports team mean to a community? For the people of Sacramento, the answer is simple -- everything. For three decades, Sacramento has been the improbable home to one of the NBA's most improbable franchises -- the Kings. Through the good, the bad and the laughably ugly, Kings fans have stood by their team. So when news broke in 2013 that the team was likely leaving for Seattle -- the second time in two years that it appeared relocation was inevitable -- it sent shock waves through the community. All hope was seemingly lost until the city decided to fight back -- again. At the helm was the city's mayor, Kevin Johnson, a Sacramento native and former NBA All-Star, who seemed uniquely positioned to play point guard for the comeback attempt. "Down in the Valley" follows this historic saga from the locker room to the board room as a city and its favorite son fought to pull off perhaps the most unconventional upset in NBA history.

Director's Take
"Down In The Valley" is about more than Sacramento's fight to save their beloved Kings. It's about why sports matter. Thousands of citizens contributed to the city's relentless grassroots movement, and the people of Sacramento demonstrated that the power of big business pales in comparison to the passion of a dedicated community.

This film also gave us the opportunity hear from major players in the saga who had yet to publicly discuss their experiences in-depth. Former Kings owner George Maloof Jr. gave a unique perspective of the pressures that come with ownership and the difficulty in balancing responsibility to a fan base and accountability to a family. Seattle investor Chris Hansen gave candid thoughts on the moral quandary of bringing his city a team after having their beloved Sonics ripped away, while potentially subjecting Sacramento to the same fate Seattle had suffered a few years earlier. And former NBA Comissioner David Stern offered inside details on the tense negotiations as Sacramento's fate hung in the balance.

Making "Down In The Valley" took me back to my childhood and cheering for Boston's teams with my friends and family. It reminded me that being a fan isn't just about cheering when a ball goes through a hoop. It's about the bonds we form and the memories we make with those crazy enough to share our passion, win or lose.

I hope that viewers come away with a better insight into the clandestine process of relocations and billion-dollar backroom deals. I hope that they gain a better understanding of the NBA's oldest franchise and one of its most loyal followings. And most of all I hope that they're reminded to appreciate their own favorite teams because you never know when it may all disappear.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:54 am    Post subject:

Sounds interesting. Thanks for the heads up. I love those 30 for 30 documentaries.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:41 pm    Post subject:

I will watch just for the chance to drink some more queens tears from 2002
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:50 pm    Post subject:

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2015/10/13/sacramento-kings-documentary-airing-delayed-over-kevin-johnson-sexual-assault-allegations/

Quote:
Sacramento Kings documentary airing delayed over Kevin Johnson sexual-assault allegations

ESPN planned to air a documentary Oct. 20 on Sacramento keeping the Kings. Presumably, Sacramento mayor and former NBA player Kevin Johnson would have been a hero in the film.

Richard Deitsch of Sports Illustrated:

In light of recent articles revisiting allegations of sexual misconduct involving Sacramento Mayor Kevin Johnson, ESPN has decided to delay its on-the-air premiere of Down In The Valley, a 30 for 30 ESPN Film that focuses on the fight to keep the Sacramento Kings from relocating to another city.

Deitsch is referring to an article by Dave McKenna of Deadspin, in which Mandi Koba described how Johnson – then a star point guard for the Suns – sexually assaulted her as a 16-year-old in 1996. Deadspin also posted video of her detailing the abuse to police at the time:

This is all obviously troubling. One concern is why this is getting attention only now. The Phoenix New Times covered these allegations in 1997. 1997! Other than Koba going on the record in the media, what has changed? As a society, we are too reluctant to believe potential victims of sexual assault. This is not a court of law. There might not be ample evidence to find Johnson committed a crime beyond reasonable doubt. But if we’re troubled by the allegations now, we should have been troubled for the last 18 years.

Johnson, who maintained a sterling public image despite the New Times reports, was later investigated for “inappropriate sexual conduct” of multiple students at St. HOPE Academy – again detailed by McKenna.

McKenna has also covered Johnson using public money toward private ends, using private employees to do quasi-public work, trying to keep his private emails public and dissolving a historic black mayors group.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: