OFFICIAL D'ANGELO RUSSELL (2yr, $37M, pg. 2749)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 224, 225, 226 ... 2863, 2864, 2865  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:35 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
The passing will improve once he understands our offensive system and knows where guys are supposed to be.

and when he becomes more of a threat to pull up and drain Js
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:58 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
The passing will improve once he understands our offensive system and knows where guys are supposed to be.

Correction. IF we have an offensive system.
Sting
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:00 pm    Post subject:

I'm starting to think Lou Williams might be better suited as starter.. Allow Russell to see alot of minutes off the bench like James Harden role on OKC...
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:01 pm    Post subject:

I think Lou is better off the bench. Pick off 2nd units instead of worrying about feeding Kobe, clarkson and Randle.
CalisFinest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:11 pm    Post subject:

Anyone notice how fast Russell is in Nba 2k? His speed rating is higher than Clarksons...
vicman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:28 pm    Post subject:

This bring Russell and rnalde off the bench stuff is ridiculous don't people understand this season is about the development of the youngs. If we make the playoffs great! If we are a lotto team great! If we get a top 3 pick even better but these kids got to play u don't get better without playing. Russ randle and Clarkson need 35 minutes a piece the rest doesn't matter it is the strides they make that matters
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:31 pm    Post subject:

CalisFinest wrote:
Anyone notice how fast Russell is in Nba 2k? His speed rating is higher than Clarksons...

He becomes a top 3 player in the league. He's a beast in 2K.
All_Star_Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:33 pm    Post subject:

D'Lo looks 100% faster than he did in SPL. I'm excited for the season
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:35 pm    Post subject:

vicman wrote:
This bring Russell and rnalde off the bench stuff is ridiculous don't people understand this season is about the development of the youngs. If we make the playoffs great! If we are a lotto team great! If we get a top 3 pick even better but these kids got to play u don't get better without playing. Russ randle and Clarkson need 35 minutes a piece the rest doesn't matter it is the strides they make that matters

management disagrees with you. That's why they signed a bunch of vets..we now have Kobe / Hibbert / Bass / Lou / Huertas / Young
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:48 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
kobe_luver wrote:
Sniper008 wrote:
LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:
Fastbreak32 wrote:
LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:
cKPayasoLoco wrote:
Id like to see him drive more either for a score or create for others

If you're expecting that from Russell I hate pop your bubble because it's not going to happen. Russell doesn't have the speed to blow by people, he going to do his passing off of PnR and on the break. If you ever watched Magic he was a great passer but not off of penetration.

You don't need blow by speed to get to the rim. DLo would get to the rim in college by changing speeds and getting defenders out of position with slick cross overs.

My point is that his game is not a Lillard type game with blazing speed. He will get pass some in certain situations, but most of his game comes off PnR passes and jumpers. Good example was that pocket pass he made to Randle. Don't expect that Nash ability to get into the paint.

Nash didn't come into the league with that ability, he eventually developed that part of his game. I believe the same will happen to D'Angelo as he continues to get game experience, along with drills and training, he will develop different dribble move and stop n go moves that will allow him to be able to read angles and get past defenses,. D'Angelo is still raw you can't expect a finished product in his first preseason game.

People forget Nash was not a good player for years. Cuban let him go after a couple years because he wasn't doing well....he was getting boos from the fans there!

They forget because that is simply not true:

He played six seasons for Dallas, not a couple.

He made two all star teams and two all NBA teams during that time.

His last year with Dallas he was a 14.5 and 8.8 guy with .500 2 point and .400 3's, .590 TS% and a 20.5 PER.

Shot 49% from 2, 41% from 3, with .585 TS%, 19.1 PER, 14.6 points, and 7.2 assists for his career in Dallas.

He was gotten rid of because he turned 30 and Cuban mistakenly assumed he was near the point of decline (Cuban has admitted the mistake).

When Cuban let him go was my mistake. Sorry.

But the main point I was making was valid. Both Nash and Dirk Nowitzki became best friends because their first 2 years with the Mavs they both struggled terribly and both were getting boos from the fans. He was drafted in 1996 and after 2 years with the Suns and 2 more years in Dallas he finally broke out in the 2000-2001 season!!
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:05 pm    Post subject:

kobe_luver wrote:
24 wrote:
kobe_luver wrote:
Sniper008 wrote:
LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:
Fastbreak32 wrote:
LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:
cKPayasoLoco wrote:

If you're expecting that from Russell I hate pop your bubble because it's not going to happen. Russell doesn't have the speed to blow by people, he going to do his passing off of PnR and on the break. If you ever watched Magic he was a great passer but not off of penetration.

You don't need blow by speed to get to the rim. DLo would get to the rim in college by changing speeds and getting defenders out of position with slick cross overs.

My point is that his game is not a Lillard type game with blazing speed. He will get pass some in certain situations, but most of his game comes off PnR passes and jumpers. Good example was that pocket pass he made to Randle. Don't expect that Nash ability to get into the paint.

Nash didn't come into the league with that ability, he eventually developed that part of his game. I believe the same will happen to D'Angelo as he continues to get game experience, along with drills and training, he will develop different dribble move and stop n go moves that will allow him to be able to read angles and get past defenses,. D'Angelo is still raw you can't expect a finished product in his first preseason game.

People forget Nash was not a good player for years. Cuban let him go after a couple years because he wasn't doing well....he was getting boos from the fans there!

His last year with Dallas he was a 14.5 and 8.8 guy with .500 2 point and .400 3's, .590 TS% and a 20.5 PER.

Shot 49% from 2, 41% from 3, with .585 TS%, 19.1 PER, 14.6 points, and 7.2 assists for his career in Dallas.

He was gotten rid of because he turned 30 and Cuban mistakenly assumed he was near the point of decline (Cuban has admitted the mistake).

But the main point I was making was valid. Both Nash and Dirk Nowitzki became best friends because their first 2 years with the Mavs they both struggled terribly and both were getting boos from the fans. He was drafted in 1996 and after 2 years with the Suns and 2 more years in Dallas he finally broke out in the 2000-2001 season!!

I know right? Dude broke out in his mid twenties after a few years in the league. How
awful!

Not sure how that makes your point about him being dumped because he sucked.
bonkers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:06 pm    Post subject:

Did anyone else notice Russell using that Rondo fake behind-the-back motion a few times in Sunday's game? Thought that was interesting
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:09 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:
Fastbreak32 wrote:
LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:
cKPayasoLoco wrote:

Nash didn't have Lillard speed either.

Nash was a deadly shooter, it allowed him to get around people. Anyway, I think Nash had a better first step than Russell, and a faster sprint.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
HumanVictoryCigar
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:20 pm    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:
24 wrote:
LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:
Fastbreak32 wrote:
LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:
cKPayasoLoco wrote:

Nash was a deadly shooter, it allowed him to get around people. Anyway, I think Nash had a better first step than Russell, and a faster sprint.

DLo has better eyebrows than Nash and it appears, much more flash, which will make him a human highlight reel once he gets going.
LakerEric
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:08 pm    Post subject:

So Russell can't shoot and he's fragile. What next? Yes, I'm being sarcastic for the high and mighty posters out there who just freak out when we as fans don't show the patience necessary to be a "real" fan!
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:10 pm    Post subject:

LakerEric wrote:
So Russell can't shoot and he's fragile. What next? Yes, I'm being sarcastic for the high and mighty posters out there who just freak out when we as fans don't show the patience necessary to be a "real" fan!

Fragile? I'm certain most guys who take a spill like that would be sitting out a....preseason game.
All_Star_Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:13 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
LakerEric wrote:

Fragile? I'm certain most guys who take a spill like that would be sitting out a....preseason game.

Dude read past the first sentence
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:18 pm    Post subject:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2402894-ohio-states-dangelo-russell-takes-elbow-to-the-face-vs-vcu-ends-up-bloody
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:20 pm    Post subject:

HumanVictoryCigar wrote:
Drifts wrote:
24 wrote:
LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:
Fastbreak32 wrote:
LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:
cKPayasoLoco wrote:

DLo has better eyebrows than Nash and it appears, much more flash, which will make him a human highlight reel once he gets going.

I think dlo will kill Nash in a dunk contest as well.
I think Nash's first step has a lot to do with his shooting and passing, so is curry.
Until DLO can show he got a deadly shooting stroke, defense won't play him that tight
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:23 pm    Post subject:

All_Star_Laker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
LakerEric wrote:

Dude read past the first sentence

I'm so frazzled by DLO's and Bass's injuries.
RespectTheGOAT
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:40 pm    Post subject: What Do you Think D'Angelo's Stats will be this year?

The following post is brought to you by FanDuel, “FanDuel, we won’t stop advertising until every man, woman and child is a full-fledged degenerate gambler.” It’s also brought to you commercial free by DraftKings, “DraftKings, hell bent on world domination.” Now that that’s out of the way, lets discuss Lakers savior (and im sure future DraftKings spokesman) D’Angelo Russell. Laker fans have suffered the last couple of years like no other time in the team’s history. Yes, we are now staring at 14 years of losing basketball (Dog years…but, feels like human years). No worries though, a new age is upon us and our very own Steph Curry Westbrook will be running the show. Now, I’m not expecting Magic Johnson’s rookie season or anything (you know NBA title, Finals MVP), but some are expecting something Magic never accomplished, R.O.Y. Based on what I saw this summer, I’m not so sure. However, I am very curious to see what numbers D’Angelo puts up in Year 1.

Here is a look at the last 25 #2 picks in NBA history (since 1990) and the points/rebounds/assists/shooting percentage they had their rookie year. I have broken down their performance into 4 Tiers.

Tier #1

“Thank the Lord, We May Have Found Ourselves a Franchise Player”

Elite Rookie Year

Alonzo Mourning 21/10/1 51%

Steve Francis 18/5/7 45% CO-ROY

Kevin Durant 20/4/2 43% ROY

Jason Kidd 12/5/8 39% CO-ROY

Emeka Okafor 15/11/1 45% ROY

Keith Van Horn 20/7/2 43%

A great rookie year is of course a great sign of things to come. Durant and Kidd became MVP type players and Mourning and Francis were multiple time all-stars. However, you could also end up like Okafor and Van Horn, just an above average starter, nothing more.

Tier #2

“Alright, Alright, Alright” (McConaughey Intensity)

Perfectly Solid Rookie Year

Mike Bibby 13/3/7 43%

Marcus Camby 15/6/2 48%

Antonio McDyes 13/8/1 49%

Jabari Parker 12/6/2 49%

Victor Oladipo 14/4/4 42%

Michael Beasely 14/5/1 47%

Bibby and Camby became borderline all-star type players. McDyes would have been if it weren’t for injuries. Beasely fell off and is now chilling in China, again. Jabari and Oladipo…we shall see, but I think both are on a good path to become borderline all-star type players (Jabari should be able to bounce back from his injury).

Tier #3

“(bleep), We May Have (bleep) This Up”

Disappointing Rookie Year

LaMarcus Aldridge 9/5/0 50%

Gary Payton 7/3/6 45%

Shawn Bradley 10/6/2 41%

MKG 9/6/2 46%

Jay Williams 10/5/3 40%

Tyson Chandler 6/5/1 50%

Marvin Williams 9/5/1 44%

Derrick Williams 9/5/1 41%

Evan Turner 7/4/2/ 43%

Kenny Anderson 7/2/3 39%

Stromile Swift 5/4/0 45%

This is why Laker fans shouldn’t overreact if D’Angelo struggles in year one. Obviously, they will, but they shouldn’t. Aldridge and Payton became great HOF level players and Chandler and Kenny Anderson were borderline all-star types for a few years there. Then again, the rest were busts. So yeah, we should and we will panic.

Tier #4

“Oh, We’re (bleep)”

Rookie Year from Hell

Hasheem Thabeet 3/4/0 59%

Darko Milicic 1/1/0 26%

If D’Angelo goes full Darko Thabeet….never mind, I don’t even want to think about this. That could probably only happen if D’Angelo were a 7 foot project, which he is not.

If we look at just the point guards:

Steve Francis 18/5/7 45% Co-ROY

Jason Kidd 12/5/8 39% Co-ROY

Mike Bibby 13/3/7 43%

Gary Payton 7/3/6 45%

Jay Williams 10/5/3 40%

Kenny Anderson 7/2/3 39%

Numbers-wise, I expect more of a Mike Bibby type year from D’Angelo than I do a Kenny Anderson. That would be a solid start to his career and, who knows, maybe one day he does end up being our savior…Hell, he’s only 19.

D’Angelo Russell’s college stats: 19/6/5 45%

Lakers Summer League Stats: 12/5/3 38%

ESPN Fantasy Basketball Projection: 14/4/6 40%

My Prediction: 13/4/5 42%
PayasoLoco
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:47 pm    Post subject:

If he turns into a rod Strickland I'll be happy with the pick
kobe_luver
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:56 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
kobe_luver wrote:
24 wrote:
kobe_luver wrote:
Sniper008 wrote:
LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:
Fastbreak32 wrote:
LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:
cKPayasoLoco wrote:

I know right? Dude broke out in his mid twenties after a few years in the league. How
awful!

Not sure how that makes your point about him being dumped because he sucked.

You missed what my point was. My point wasn't his getting fired for starting slowly (which was my mistake). The point was it took him years to be a good to great player....so we need to be patient with Russell in his first season. Many great players took time to develop....dare I say most players do.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:05 pm    Post subject:

Food for thought

Would Bringing D'Angelo Russell Off the Bench Benefit LA?

Quote:
By watching the first two games, it is apparent that the Lakers have multiple players who possess similar skills sets. Brandon Bass mirrors Tarik Black, Robert Upshaw mirrors Roy Hibbert, Lou Williams and Nick Young are both gun slingers, no matter what Mitch Kupchak says.

In the case of Jordan Clarkson and D’Angelo Russell, both are most effective when they have the ball in their hands. This was demonstrated by Clarkson throughout his breakout rookie season and by Russell while at Ohio State.

http://lakeshowlife.com/2015/10/09/would-bringing-dangelo-russell-off-the-bench-benefit-the-la/
BennyLava
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:15 pm    Post subject:

Its going to take Russell a couple of Randle like breakout games, and the tone on this thread will change immensely. He showed that glimpse in the last game of the summer league where he hit the bucket 3-4 times in a row from mid range. Add that to his passing skills and we have a starting point guard. No question about it.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 224, 225, 226 ... 2863, 2864, 2865  Next
Page 225 of 2865
Jump to: