Ballstream quality vs TWC?
CBaller8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:48 am    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
CBaller8 wrote:
loki05 wrote:
LG'ers.....cutting the cord is my specialty. I have been off the cord for 2.5years and it is the best decision my family and I have ever made. We save approx $120.00 a month....so that equates to $1440 a year!!!

My setup:

- Asus Chromebox running Openelec/Kodi
- Sony 55 in LCD
- Onkyo Receiver
- Roku2

With this setup, I can watch pretty much all basic cable, all live sports, and I have Mohu Leaf to get all local channels in HD. PM me for more info or just add onto this thread with any questions.

As for watching Laker games...its easy:

- Get NBA League Pass account and use your Roku or appletv or whatever
- Use a VPN account like Unlocator or Unblock

With the VPN, just set your IP address to one outside CA and you get all the Laker games. What you do is go into your router, change the DNS setting and boom you're set. I have my location set to like UTAH and watch all local games.

Another way is to get a BallStream account if you have Kodi/XBMC and watch all Black Out games this way ($89 a year).

So I can buy NBA League Pass for $200 do the VPN and login on chrome and then cast the tab to my TV, right?

For NFL, I can buy Sunday ticket base package for $150 and do the same. VPN necessary?

Grand total of $350 for the year. Can anyone confirm this works? If so, I will cancel my cable TV.

I can't speak directly to NBA League Pass and NFL, but I do this for MLB.TV. When I watch Dodger-Braves games in ATL, I go to Chrome, use the VPN scrambler (it's called "stealthy" and it is a Chrome extension) and watch the game on my browser.

EDIT: Also, I'm pretty sure ballstreams is a lot cheaper than NBA League Pass, and I think (but I am not sure) you don't have to go through the scrambling-VPN steps. can't confirm though.

If it works for MLB, seems to me it would work with NFL and NBA. Yeah, looks like Ballstreams is cheaper and less hoops to jump thru? I wonder if I could still watch the Chargers w/o the VPN even though I'm in Socal.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:53 am    Post subject:

CBaller8 wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
CBaller8 wrote:
loki05 wrote:
LG'ers.....cutting the cord is my specialty. I have been off the cord for 2.5years and it is the best decision my family and I have ever made. We save approx $120.00 a month....so that equates to $1440 a year!!!

My setup:

- Sony 55 in LCD
- Onkyo Receiver
- Roku2

With this setup, I can watch pretty much all basic cable, all live sports, and I have Mohu Leaf to get all local channels in HD. PM me for more info or just add onto this thread with any questions.

With the VPN, just set your IP address to one outside CA and you get all the Laker games. What you do is go into your router, change the DNS setting and boom you're set. I have my location set to like UTAH and watch all local games.

Another way is to get a BallStream account if you have Kodi/XBMC and watch all Black Out games this way ($89 a year).

So I can buy NBA League Pass for $200 do the VPN and login on chrome and then cast the tab to my TV, right?

For NFL, I can buy Sunday ticket base package for $150 and do the same. VPN necessary?

Grand total of $350 for the year. Can anyone confirm this works? If so, I will cancel my cable TV.

I can't speak directly to NBA League Pass and NFL, but I do this for MLB.TV. When I watch Dodger-Braves games in ATL, I go to Chrome, use the VPN scrambler (it's called "stealthy" and it is a Chrome extension) and watch the game on my browser.

EDIT: Also, I'm pretty sure ballstreams is a lot cheaper than NBA League Pass, and I think (but I am not sure) you don't have to go through the scrambling-VPN steps. can't confirm though.

If it works for MLB, seems to me it would work with NFL and NBA. Yeah, looks like Ballstreams is cheaper and less hoops to jump thru? I wonder if I could still watch the Chargers w/o the VPN even though I'm in Socal.

When I was in LA, I could watch a Padres game or Angels game no problem - unless they played the Dodgers, of course.
CBaller8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:00 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
CBaller8 wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
CBaller8 wrote:
loki05 wrote:

My setup:

- Sony 55 in LCD
- Onkyo Receiver
- Roku2

When I was in LA, I could watch a Padres game or Angels game no problem - unless they played the Dodgers, of course.

Oh nice

When watching the Dodger games, did you have to adjust any router settings or does that chrome extension take care of everything?
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:21 pm    Post subject:

CBaller8 wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
CBaller8 wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
CBaller8 wrote:
loki05 wrote:

My setup:

- Sony 55 in LCD
- Onkyo Receiver
- Roku2

Oh nice

When watching the Dodger games, did you have to adjust any router settings or does that chrome extension take care of everything?

Stealthy, the extension, took care of it. Two things to note: it slowed down my internet speed when I tried to use other webpages concurrently; it sometimes lost the connection (this may be because the MLB.TV browser service is generally rife with connectivity issues.)
CBaller8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:36 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
CBaller8 wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
CBaller8 wrote:
loki05 wrote:

My setup:

- Sony 55 in LCD
- Onkyo Receiver
- Roku2

How do you watch NBA playoff games?
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:27 pm    Post subject:

CBaller8 wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
CBaller8 wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
CBaller8 wrote:
loki05 wrote:

My setup:

- Sony 55 in LCD
- Onkyo Receiver
- Roku2

Haven't figured that out - national broadcast games are usually blacked out. Not sure if they make an exception for the playoffs, but I don't see why they would. I'd probably just stream it on firstrow or something similar
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:33 pm    Post subject:

I don't have Apple TV, but I've read that you can get your Netflix "discounted" by just buying discounted iTunes gift cards and then applying them to your account linked to Netflix, or possibly just using your linked iTunes email address without Apple TV. There's always a lot of discounted iTunes gift card specials running, whether it's eBay or Staples or your supermarkets. That might be a way to save even more. I missed out on the Tivo Roamio summer sale, but I still am debating whether to get it from Amazon instead of Apple TV.
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:51 pm    Post subject:

CBaller8 wrote:
Laker_Town wrote:
Nearly four years removed from cable.

Wdtv
Pair of chromecasts
Ballstream

Table as remote for all devices

I tried my sisters login once on two and the quality was meh.

Ballstream is way better in my opinion. Not even close. All the games included. No restrictions and with Chromecast support
CBaller8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:11 pm    Post subject:

Laker_Town wrote:
CBaller8 wrote:
Laker_Town wrote:
Nearly four years removed from cable.

Wdtv
Pair of chromecasts
Ballstream

Table as remote for all devices

I tried my sisters login once on two and the quality was meh.

Ballstream is way better in my opinion. Not even close. All the games included. No restrictions and with Chromecast support

Playoffs too? Any delay from a live broadcast?
scoobs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:06 pm    Post subject:

I'm kind of confused about this right now. My situation is, I currently can't get cable rv where i am going to be at for the next 6 months and I want to watch the Laker games. I would be great full to watch them some how, preferably in HD. What is the best way to go about doing this?
loki05
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:41 pm    Post subject:

CBaller8 wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
CBaller8 wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
CBaller8 wrote:
loki05 wrote:

My setup:

- Sony 55 in LCD
- Onkyo Receiver
- Roku2

ballstreams has everything. training camp, preseason, regular season, all-star, playoffs...if its an olympic year, that too
loki05
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:43 pm    Post subject:

scoobs wrote:
I'm kind of confused about this right now. My situation is, I currently can't get cable rv where i am going to be at for the next 6 months and I want to watch the Laker games. I would be great full to watch them some how, preferably in HD. What is the best way to go about doing this?

why are you confused? this whole thread explains how to watch nba games in HD not using cable. LOL

- get a roku or Kodi/Xbmc device
- load ballstreams addon, or nba league pass

with ballstreams, you don't need any VPN. You watch ALL Games. With nba league pass, you'll need VPN to "trick" you're at another place so you can watch Laker games in HD.
CBaller8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:35 pm    Post subject:

So how do I get into ballstreams? Invite?
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:58 pm    Post subject:

That all sounds like way too much work.
loki05
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:15 am    Post subject:

This is very top level and you would need to be real detailed in your setup, but here is an overview of what you need to do to get lLAKRS HD using ur PC/Laptop without paying for CABLE:

- Buy a laptop or cheap computer with HDMI out
- Purchase ballstreams account $90 for full season
- Purchase VPN service (google Private Internet Access) $50.00 a year
- Install VPN on your PC and select a location with no basketball....Las Vegas
- Login to your BallStreams acct
- Link your HDMI cable from PC/Laptop to your TV that has HDMI IN

Boom - ur now watching Lakers HD games with no restrictions, and as a matter of fact, you can watch the whole NBA Season, All-star, Playoffs with no blackouts.
loki05
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:17 am    Post subject:

Heartburn wrote:
That all sounds like way too much work.

if you want to save over $1500 a year....to some people, its worth it

$125x12 cable bill
$200 nbaLP

$1700+
dood23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:27 am    Post subject:

Why the VPN? Does ballstreams blackout local games too?
Cause otherwise it's as simple as plugging your computer into a TV and using ballstreams from there
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:16 am    Post subject:

CBaller8 wrote:

Ballstreams is currently closed due to billing issues. They should be allowing subscriptions again in a week or 2.
CBaller8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:37 pm    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
CBaller8 wrote:

Ballstreams is currently closed due to billing issues. They should be allowing subscriptions again in a week or 2.

Got it. Thanks
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: