OFFICIAL LOU WILLIAMS THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 41, 42, 43  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:05 pm    Post subject:

WeDidItReddit wrote:
Has anyone else noticed that Lou is actually a terrific athlete? I saw some of his videos on YouTube and man he has hops

I was watching his running gait and it's effortless. Just smooth mechanics. Now watch Hibbert.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:08 pm    Post subject:

WeDidItReddit wrote:
Has anyone else noticed that Lou is actually a terrific athlete? I saw some of his videos on YouTube and man he has hops

He was even better pre ACL tear, but I think his skill set increased as a result.
All_Star_Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:13 pm    Post subject:

Would it be totally unreasonable to tell him that if he is willing to reign it in and become primarily a distributor and score when needed (or high percentage shot) that he could start?

Can we turn him from scorer to distributor the way D'Antoni did to Nash??

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:14 pm    Post subject:

All_Star_Laker wrote:
Would it be totally unreasonable to tell him that if he is willing to reign it in and become primarily a distributor and score when needed (or high percentage shot) that he could start?

Can we turn him from scorer to distributor the way D'Antoni did to Nash??

Probably not. He's a good passer for a 2, but he's primarily a two when it comes to instincts.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:16 pm    Post subject:

And Lou wasn't signed to be a distributor.
All_Star_Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:44 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
And Lou wasn't signed to be a distributor.

They did chase Ty Lawson briefly implying they may be interested in bringing D'Lo around more slowly. I think Lou could be an excellent distributing PG if he put his mind to it. The fact that he can score at any time will just keep defenders on edge even more.

But I know you're right, that won't happen. I have this fantasy of the Lakers making the playoffs this year - that usually doesn't happen when you're starting rookies (though Magic would beg to differ)
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:19 am    Post subject:

I'm actually not excited about Lou. Career low 40% shooter and 34% from three. First two exhibition games, 4-13 and 4-12. I'd like to seem him up it to 45% this year if possible. Otherwise, him and Nick out there chucking away.. it's going to get old. He's a novelty right now, so we're excited about the makes and never-mind the bricks.

But I have hope that he can tweak his game a bit, maybe create a little more and shoot a little more efficiently.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:35 am    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
I'm actually not excited about Lou. Career low 40% shooter and 34% from three. First two exhibition games, 4-13 and 4-12. I'd like to seem him up it to 45% this year if possible. Otherwise, him and Nick out there chucking away.. it's going to get old. He's a novelty right now, so we're excited about the makes and never-mind the bricks.

But I have hope that he can tweak his game a bit, maybe create a little more and shoot a little more efficiently.

He will look fine next to an actual pg. He's being run out there with ragged lineups and forced to iso against defense set up on him.
cmonkee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:36 am    Post subject:

I'm interested in seeing how Lou plays when he's not asked to play PG... maybe alongside Huertas?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:39 am    Post subject:

cmonkee wrote:
I'm interested in seeing how Lou plays when he's not asked to play PG... maybe alongside Huertas?

Yup.Russell or clarkson or huertas running things with clarkson or Williams as an attacker off the other side (and Lou spots up as well).

Btw, the fg% doesn't tell the whole story when you don't mention the 8 free throws.
yuurin98
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:49 am    Post subject:

I was like... wow he hit 12-12 FTs...
Capt.Skyhook
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:02 am    Post subject:

Kobe sure won't have to tell Lou to be aggressive the way he had to with Lin last season.

It's good to have a respectable backup combo guard. I'll take what he brings at PG over Lin, Farmar, Sessions, Marshall, Duhon, Morris, etc...100 out of 100 times.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:08 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
Runway8 wrote:

He will look fine next to an actual pg. He's being run out there with ragged lineups and forced to iso against defense set up on him.

Well, I hope we'll be winning because I group Lou with guys like Jamaal Crawford, Nick Young, JR Smith, etc. These guys are career inefficient shooters. But on the right team, they provide the occasional dagger and hot hand. On a bad team, you will feel every brick they throw up. See on a good team, those bricks may still be compensated. JR can be bricking away, but it doesn't matter with Lebron out there keeping the Cavs in the game. Crawford can keep throwing bricks, and the Clippers are still up on the scoreboard because Blake and CP3 are doing their thing. You see the good teams put these volume shooters in position to redeem themselves, or buy enough time for them to catch a hot streak. On a bad team, it doesn't work, and we have two of these guys this year. Yikes! So, if we are for reals this year, then man it's going to be fun, and Lou and Nick will provide a few memories. But if we're bad, we'll see them for what they are, inefficient shooters.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:14 am    Post subject:

It is easy to look at 6 for 15 and say, "inefficient chucker", until you factor in threes, free tbrows, and turnovers, and find that he put up around 1 ppp. Even better when you note that Scott is playing the starters together and then playing lou with a wildly varying set of deep bench guys, and mostly with no pg and few if any shot creators. He's doing that almost exclusively on iso plays with no support.

Which is why his ts% is excellent and his ppp is elite in many areas (pick and roll, iso, spot up, transition ).
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:30 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
It is easy to look at 6 for 15 and say, "inefficient chucker", until you factor in threes, free tbrows, and turnovers, and find that he put up around 1 ppp. Even better when you note that Scott is playing the starters together and then playing lou with a wildly varying set of deep bench guys, and mostly with no pg and few if any shot creators. He's doing that almost exclusively on iso plays with no support.

Which is why his ts% is excellent and his ppp is elite in many areas (pick and roll, iso, spot up, transition ).

Yes and yes. It's hard to be critical of Lou when he's been playing with junk lineups and hasn't really had a chance to play the off guard role yet. Despite all that, I think he's played very well out there.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:39 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:

Plus he was teamed up with Upshaw, Nance and Jabari, so the defense was sucked into the middle and he was the only real scoring option.
Rawr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:20 pm    Post subject:

He might as well not be on the court on the defensive end, and on offense he is an absolute black hole.

Hopefully having a PG next to him on the bench will help him take less shots, but his shooting percentages are no different than they have ever been, which is to say they are bad.

Limit his minutes and he will be fine off the bench along side Nicholas as a heat check duo I guess.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:32 pm    Post subject:

Rawr wrote:
He might as well not be on the court on the defensive end, and on offense he is an absolute black hole.

Hopefully having a PG next to him on the bench will help him take less shots, but his shooting percentages are no different than they have ever been, which is to say they are bad.

Limit his minutes and he will be fine off the bench along side Nicholas as a heat check duo I guess.

That "PG" might be Randle. I like him running the offense far more thus far.
Andre2K
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:40 pm    Post subject:

I've been impress with Lou Williams so far I think his biggest problem is he doesn't know how to close out games, hopefully he won't be put in a position to be our closer this season, I like him better as a catch and shoot guy in those situations because he can be clutch

Pg Lonzo
Sg Kawhi
Sf Ingram
Pf Lebron
C Dedmon

Bench: Caruso, Hart, Bullock, Kuzma, McGee etc
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:50 pm    Post subject:

Sniper008 wrote:
I've been impress with Lou Williams so far I think his biggest problem is he doesn't know how to close out games, hopefully he won't be put in a position to be our closer this season, I like him better as a catch and shoot guy in those situations because he can be clutch

Hard to close out games with a bunch of scrubs who are playing for their contract. Late games were a glorified pick up game.
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:51 pm    Post subject:

zePokar wrote:
Sniper008 wrote:

Hard to close out games with a bunch of scrubs who are playing for their contract. Late games were a glorified pick up game.

Plus, as talented as he is, he isn't a superstar. It's not really fair to expect him to close out games single-handedly.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:59 pm    Post subject:

zePokar wrote:
Sniper008 wrote:

And he's a two, not a one/
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:02 pm    Post subject:

RCS926 wrote:
zePokar wrote:
Sniper008 wrote:

Plus, as talented as he is, he isn't a superstar. It's not really fair to expect him to close out games single-handedly.

Also, if Lou does close out games with us, he'll be on the floor with Jordan, Kobe and Randle. He'll be expected to finish plays rather than create them for himself and others.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:23 am    Post subject:

Is anyone else besides me disappointed with this guy? Good thing he's having a career year getting to the foul line, otherwise, this signing would look worse. He's every bit the inefficient chucker I thought he would be. He was never a very accurate shooter to begin with and so far he's dipping below his career average, actually career lows at 37.8% and 21.7% from threes.

Like I've mentioned, guys like Lou, JR Smith, Swaggy, Jamaal Crawford, etc. are useful on contending teams. Their streaky shooting can bust a game wide open, and when they're off, which they often are, it doesn't hurt as much because the team is actually a good team that has other options, real all-star options. On a bad team like ours, if they have a good night, it doesn't even gaurantee a win, and when they're having an off night, it almost guarantees a lost. They are not dependable and we have two of them.

The problem is when the Lakers make these moves, they make them with the confidence that we would be a contending team. But we're not, and all they do is slow down the development of the younger players. If we're going to lose, Russell should play the 4th, not Lou. Anthony Brown should trump Swaggy in the rotation if we're serious about rebuilding.

I was keeping my fingers crossed that Lou might be fine wine. That he can build upon that 6th man award, that he keeps improving like Nash at this age. But it doesn't look like it.
twisted
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:30 am    Post subject:

I'm pretty much happy with him. You get what you pay for, and you'd be hard pressed to get a better scoring guard for $7M.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 41, 42, 43  Next
Page 10 of 43
Jump to: