OFFICIAL ROBERT UPSHAW THREAD (Cut from D League for Drug Violation pg 137)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 80, 81, 82 ... 141, 142, 143  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:58 pm    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:
Upshaw's mobility has been a huge surprise to me. He has a lot of promise and I don't think we can risk not signing him. He's got a lot of potential and the work he did to lose weight and increase his agility/mobility is impressive.

https://vine.co/u/1168406460867256320 he was cat quick on my TV setting this screen. And he also can put the breaks on and not fall over himself like he was during summer league.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:16 pm    Post subject:

Upshaw played well tonight. I'm hoping they can find some type of a future second rounder deal to move Sacre and get something in return and open up a spot for the other Robert.

LakerSanity wrote:
Cut Holmes, Huertas, Sacre and Frazier.

That would be my list, as well. Though I could also see them cutting Jabari Brown in favor of either Huertas or Holmes depending on how things wind down. Brown has not looked good so far but I think he's struggling and pressing right now. I liked some of what I saw from Holmes tonight, the effort was there. Huertas is just too much of a mystery since we haven't had a chance to see him play yet. I didn't think MWP had any shot at making the team coming into camp, I thought they were just adding him as camp fodder rather than making him Coach Crazy in a way to repay the work he's put in this summer. But it seems to me like he's earned a spot.
Yong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:20 pm    Post subject:

we had the chance to sign hassan whiteside and didn't

if we keep sacre in favour of upshaw, i might start calling for sacre's and mitch's heads
hoopla
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:30 pm    Post subject:

Sniper008 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
Sniper008 wrote:
kobe_luver wrote:
Sniper008 wrote:
What I don't like about Upshaw is he doesn't make himself part of the team. He doesn't go shake players when they are shooting freethrows and he doesn't set good screens. I like his potential but I don't like his attitude

His attitude seems fine to me. I never even noticed your free throws comment...I think he's just terribly focused on his game right now.

He does set screens for other players...a lot. One of the best on the team.

he sets weak screens, well atleast he doesn't move on this screens so thats good, he needs to get stronger and set better screens.

I think he sets excellent screens. He sprints to the screen, gets wide, and uses good angles. What is it about his screens that you think is weak?

He didn't create enough space for Lou while he was setting the screen, I think it was weak because the players he was screening on were able to get over it quite easily. He does get wide quickly but he didn't create enough opportunities with the screens he was setting.

not sure what you think you're seeing sniper but Upshaw was setting a ton of screens. good ones as well. The problem was, the two guys he was setting the screens for are scorers and not pg's who are good at running the pick n roll.

he was trying to set the screen get contact and roll.

Lou nor JB helped him get that contact with their defender. they went away from the screen pretty much every single time. the couple of times they took the screen. they never looked for upshaw. they were always looking for their own shot. that was the issue. This is why i liked that Bscott actually put upshaw in while kobe was still in. i guarantee you kobe would've taken those screens for himself and to hit up with a decent pass to see what he was going to do with it.

but kobe subbed out like a few moments later. so that was that.

Upshaw needs to play with kobe or russell or the other old guy that we are going to use as a backup pg.
hoopla
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:31 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:
Upshaw's mobility has been a huge surprise to me. He has a lot of promise and I don't think we can risk not signing him. He's got a lot of potential and the work he did to lose weight and increase his agility/mobility is impressive.

https://vine.co/u/1168406460867256320 he was cat quick on my TV setting this screen. And he also can put the breaks on and not fall over himself like he was during summer league.
i noticed this too
Andre2K
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:00 am    Post subject:

hoopla wrote:
Sniper008 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
Sniper008 wrote:
kobe_luver wrote:
Sniper008 wrote:
What I don't like about Upshaw is he doesn't make himself part of the team. He doesn't go shake players when they are shooting freethrows and he doesn't set good screens. I like his potential but I don't like his attitude

His attitude seems fine to me. I never even noticed your free throws comment...I think he's just terribly focused on his game right now.

He does set screens for other players...a lot. One of the best on the team.

he sets weak screens, well atleast he doesn't move on this screens so thats good, he needs to get stronger and set better screens.

I think he sets excellent screens. He sprints to the screen, gets wide, and uses good angles. What is it about his screens that you think is weak?

He didn't create enough space for Lou while he was setting the screen, I think it was weak because the players he was screening on were able to get over it quite easily. He does get wide quickly but he didn't create enough opportunities with the screens he was setting.

not sure what you think you're seeing sniper but Upshaw was setting a ton of screens. good ones as well. The problem was, the two guys he was setting the screens for are scorers and not pg's who are good at running the pick n roll.

he was trying to set the screen get contact and roll.

Lou nor JB helped him get that contact with their defender. they went away from the screen pretty much every single time. the couple of times they took the screen. they never looked for upshaw. they were always looking for their own shot. that was the issue. This is why i liked that Bscott actually put upshaw in while kobe was still in. i guarantee you kobe would've taken those screens for himself and to hit up with a decent pass to see what he was going to do with it.

but kobe subbed out like a few moments later. so that was that.

Upshaw needs to play with kobe or russell or the other old guy that we are going to use as a backup pg.

If you listen to the post game comments the coach and Upshaw agreed with me and it's a point of emphasis where he wants to improve as well. Lou Williams started going away from his screens because they were weak and weren't freeing him up

Pg Lonzo
Sg Kawhi
Sf Ingram
Pf Lebron
C Dedmon

Bench: Caruso, Hart, Bullock, Kuzma, McGee etc
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:28 am    Post subject:

To put things in perspective, Last night was only his 20th official game (not counting SL) in over 2 years so his timing is expected to be off. Why these preseason minutes are so important
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:44 am    Post subject:

You can tell UPS is the definition of Upside. He has the gifts and size that few have. He has not played very much at all, and yet the skills he's displaying are obvious. His screens, or lack of screens, simply means coaching is needed.

As a matter of fact, give him the time to develop with serious, effective coaching, and the playing time, and this guy will be a significant contributor. We're blessed to get him, and he sounds like he appreciates it as well.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:47 am    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
Upshaw played well tonight. I'm hoping they can find some type of a future second rounder deal to move Sacre and get something in return and open up a spot for the other Robert.

LakerSanity wrote:

That would be my list, as well. Though I could also see them cutting Jabari Brown in favor of either Huertas or Holmes depending on how things wind down. Brown has not looked good so far but I think he's struggling and pressing right now. I liked some of what I saw from Holmes tonight, the effort was there. Huertas is just too much of a mystery since we haven't had a chance to see him play yet. I didn't think MWP had any shot at making the team coming into camp, I thought they were just adding him as camp fodder rather than making him Coach Crazy in a way to repay the work he's put in this summer. But it seems to me like he's earned a spot.

If, for any other reason than a serious, serious, relapse the Lakers cut him, the words stupid, foolish, asinine, dumb, crazy, and any word I forgot would apply.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:21 am    Post subject:

"Now the court's bigger, the spacing's different, and the players are more athletic. It's not as easy as I did it in college."

lol
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:22 am    Post subject:

i was flipping back and forth between the SC game and Laker game (glad SC lost, go UCLA). anyways, the brief moment i saw Upshaw played, he was impacting on defensive end, either blocking shots or altering shots. i like what i see consider how raw he is still
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:33 am    Post subject:

nash wrote:
"Now the court's bigger, the spacing's different, and the players are more athletic. It's not as easy as I did it in college."

lol

Include DLO, Okafor, Towns, etc.
Yong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:57 am    Post subject:

LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
J.C. Smith wrote:

LakerSanity wrote:

If, for any other reason than a serious, serious, relapse the Lakers cut him, the words stupid, foolish, asinine, dumb, crazy, and any word I forgot would apply.

we did refuse to sign whiteside for cheap
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:24 am    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
A lot of Tariq black fans won't like this but I think upshaw should eat up a lot of the backup center minutes. Black should only Coke in when the kid starts making too many mistakes (and he will). Scott can use black to teach upshaw lessons and keep him focused.

Upshaw is far from earning backup minutes, unless another lottery trip is the goal. He had a good debut but it was obvious he was lost on defense out there. He needs a lot of development, so the D League for a couple of months might be a good move.
foshowtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:47 pm    Post subject:

kobe_luver wrote:
Roon wrote:
I really like Upshaw, or the idea of Upshaw. He has talent, and has showed a lot of things. I am glad he played today and like what I saw.

One thing I noticed though, is how ecstatic Kobe, Byron and especially Worthy are when they talk about Randle or Russel or Clarkson. But when Worthy had to talk about Upshaw, who has been coaching the bigs, on TWC.

Speaking from personal experience. I've been a young person with problems, wanting to prove myself. I knew, conceptually that I had to work hard, to improve, and succeed, but I wanted things to happen faster than they should, I thought that because I made the decision in my head to "turn the corner" the world made that decision too.

What I can see in Upshaw, I can see in my younger self. He is a smart kid, who is tired of failure, but he really lacks knowledge, experience and perspective. I could be wrong, obviously, but he might need to listen more, and talk less.

He's a smart kid, very talented, needs to be patient. Kobe should make him read some of the books that Phil gave him back in the day.

edit: typos

I saw the same thing....Worthy and Scott seem too hard on Upshaw.

Horry was the one that sounded excited about him at the desk....and Coach.

I definitely noticed that there was some anti-Upshaw tone from Worthy and Byron. Must be some kind of old school thing against him.

I dont get it.

To me, he was amazing especially considering being an undrafted rookie and compared to Black and Sacre. Not even close.

Sacre was a mess and completely destroyed Game 2, but no real negativity towards him. Upshaw outperformed him clearly; but Byron only commented about how much he messed up.

They may think being tough on him is the way to go. Dunno. Dont get it.
Rawr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:06 pm    Post subject:

foshowtime wrote:
kobe_luver wrote:
Roon wrote:
I really like Upshaw, or the idea of Upshaw. He has talent, and has showed a lot of things. I am glad he played today and like what I saw.

One thing I noticed though, is how ecstatic Kobe, Byron and especially Worthy are when they talk about Randle or Russel or Clarkson. But when Worthy had to talk about Upshaw, who has been coaching the bigs, on TWC.

Speaking from personal experience. I've been a young person with problems, wanting to prove myself. I knew, conceptually that I had to work hard, to improve, and succeed, but I wanted things to happen faster than they should, I thought that because I made the decision in my head to "turn the corner" the world made that decision too.

What I can see in Upshaw, I can see in my younger self. He is a smart kid, who is tired of failure, but he really lacks knowledge, experience and perspective. I could be wrong, obviously, but he might need to listen more, and talk less.

He's a smart kid, very talented, needs to be patient. Kobe should make him read some of the books that Phil gave him back in the day.

edit: typos

I saw the same thing....Worthy and Scott seem too hard on Upshaw.

Horry was the one that sounded excited about him at the desk....and Coach.

I definitely noticed that there was some anti-Upshaw tone from Worthy and Byron. Must be some kind of old school thing against him.

I dont get it.

To me, he was amazing especially considering being an undrafted rookie and compared to Black and Sacre. Not even close.

Sacre was a mess and completely destroyed Game 2, but no real negativity towards him. Upshaw outperformed him clearly; but Byron only commented about how much he messed up.

They may think being tough on him is the way to go. Dunno. Dont get it.

I assume they are trying to keep his ego in check.

I get the impression Upshaw is smart enough in general and skilled enough at basketball to have always been able to get a second chance after getting in trouble. Now that they have him under contract for the forseeable future, they can break him down a bit and make him go through the grind that other players have had to go through to have success, making him appreciate the opportunity more so he doesn't do stupid stuff again.
WeDidItReddit
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:18 pm    Post subject:

I think all the focus on what he did wrong by the coaching staff is meant to encourage him to work even harder. If you give him too much praise, then he'll get complacent. Good example of the carrot and stick principle
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:49 pm    Post subject:

I'd like to see this 2nd unit get a chance while Bass is out.

Marcelo Huertas
Lou Williams
Nick Young
Tarik Black
Robert Upshaw
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:50 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

Marcelo Huertas
Lou Williams
Nick Young
Tarik Black
Robert Upshaw

Black and Upshaw are a bad combo because they both need to be in the lane.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:11 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
MJST wrote:

Marcelo Huertas
Lou Williams
Nick Young
Tarik Black
Robert Upshaw

Black's been working on his mid range shot for that reason actually. He feels he is a 4 so he is trying to work on his mid range shot and has been fairly solid. So that's good. If he can that essentially means you could put Black and him in the same game as offensively Black could b e there for the mid range shot and hustle, which is what Bass is essentially doing. Though it's more hustle as his shot has been off lately, but I don't expect it to be that way for long.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:18 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
24 wrote:
MJST wrote:

Marcelo Huertas
Lou Williams
Nick Young
Tarik Black
Robert Upshaw

Black's been working on his mid range shot for that reason actually. He feels he is a 4 so he is trying to work on his mid range shot and has been fairly solid. So that's good. If he can that essentially means you could put Black and him in the same game as offensively Black could b e there for the mid range shot and hustle, which is what Bass is essentially doing. Though it's more hustle as his shot has been off lately, but I don't expect it to be that way for long.

I haven't seen the shot yet, and he's not a four defensively. Works better against 5's.
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:05 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
MJST wrote:
24 wrote:
MJST wrote:

Marcelo Huertas
Lou Williams
Nick Young
Tarik Black
Robert Upshaw

I haven't seen the shot yet, and he's not a four defensively. Works better against 5's.

Yup. Black has strength, wingspan and some ups, but he doesn't have particularly quick feet.
PhoenixForce
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:07 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
MJST wrote:

Marcelo Huertas
Lou Williams
Nick Young
Tarik Black
Robert Upshaw

It should be Bass and Upshaw for the 2nd units pf and c
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:08 pm    Post subject:

^^
I seriously doubt that Upshaw will be a rotation player anytime soon.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:47 pm    Post subject:

RCS926 wrote:
^^
I seriously doubt that Upshaw will be a rotation player anytime soon.

I think he is a keeper, just too much upside, but he is a project and will need 2 our 3 years to learn the game. He is not ready to be the first big of the bench.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 80, 81, 82 ... 141, 142, 143  Next
Page 81 of 143
Jump to: